Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Archives  Hop To Forums  Amphipolis Tidings Archive    2005 Oscar Ceremony--the running commentary
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Sara

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
2005 Oscar Ceremony--the running commentary
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smirk Morgan:
If you do this from bed, you might fall asleep....tribute awards are such a yawner.

good point. I shall remain vertical.

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
When they panned the crowd just now I think I hallucinated Paula Abdul, Randy Jackson and Simon Cowell giving Sidney Lumet a standing ovation from the back row.

I shouldn't have taken that Tylenol Cold Capsule during the last commerical break.

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lila997:
When they panned the crowd just now I think I hallucinated Paula Abdul, Randy Jackson and Simon Cowell giving Sidney Lumet a standing ovation from the back row.

I shouldn't have taken that Tylenol Cold Capsule during the last commerical break.

Are you sure that won't make it more fun?

Posts: 2306 | Location: DFW | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
Did Emmy Rossum just say "the wonderfully talented Beyonce" with a straight face?

Wow, why wasn't she nominated for an Oscar?

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
short films just don't get respect. Audience hand out...my divided attention...

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
Denver "Uncle Jesse" Pyle lives!

no..it's just Robert Richardson. He's a cinematographer.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
I did appreciate that the short film winner gave a short speech. I think it's an Academy faux pax if your acceptance speech is longer than your film.

(It is likely also a faux pax if you spell faux pax incorrectly, which I think I probably just did. blush)

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
I am not sure how I feel about Chris Rock.

I am very conflicted.

It pains me.

No, really.

It does.

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
I wanted to like Chris Rock.

But I think this is a bust.

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
Thank god that Beyonce isn't singing Spanish.

But why did Penelope have to do that awkward translation?

Santana!

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
<Sigh> Santana can't save this one either...the orchestra is overpowering.

Does Antonio Banderas' slapping his thigh make him feel like a real singer?

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
Okay, Chris...good one about handing out the Oscars in the parking lot.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
I officially hate the handing-out-Oscar-in-the-aisles thing.

I was reserving judgement on the put-em-all-up-on-stage thing becuase I had high hopes that it would save tons of broadcast time. Clearly it either has not saved time or it HAS saved time but they sucked it all up with the honorary Oscar and the Hayek/Cruz overkill. Therefore, I now hate it too.

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
In memorium...w/ a live cellist. This'll save time..

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
Wow...Beyonce is like totally charisma free.

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
HIllary Swank...

Okay, there really have been NO SURPRISES tonight have there?

Mom just said, "That dress...the more you look at it the worse it gets."

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
Gwynnie...cut your hair. really long is not good for fine, thin hair. But thanks for not doing heroin chic this year.

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
Best Original Screenplay...thanks for getting off the stage so quickly.

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
Jamie Foxx...cheers to Texas!

No surprises <sigh> Kind of wanted Don Cheadle to get it.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
woo, dozed off somewhere between Sound editing and Live Action Short. I'm back now.

I caught up thanks to the marvel that is TiVO. Smile

Finally a surprise...sorta. I thought Scorsese would get it.

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
wow...it only took 3 1/4 hours...

I still can't care too much, lol.

I'm jealous, lila. I think the time I spent half paying attention would have been better spent unconcious.

Scroll Guardian

SCROLLER AND
INSTIGATOR OF
THE MONTH

Scroller and Instigator

posted Hide Post
YAY to an aussie getting one

Posts: 4830 | Location: Michelle @ work | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Free Madness
posted Hide Post
I'm glad i'm not the only one who hated swank's dress...ewww.Razz

And that speech..umm a little long.Razz

No i didn't REALLY think Johnny would win(ok I had a faint hope hehe) but he'd have had a fun speech, lol maybe something about rabid dogs chasing him from Europe like he did for the people's choice...shake up the monotony a little hehe.Big Grin But Jamie's speech was good. Smile

Rotfl Dustin and Barbra, a match made in heaven.Razz Now i want to go see all these movies i missed, like Ray and Million Dollar Baby and stuff. Clint looked good.Smile

Didn't see Robert Redford tho, boo hoo!Frown Had some nice Orlando eye candy tho.Big Grin And hey...at least the finding neverland score won, and Johnny got some good closeups from it hehehehe.Big Grin Just tell that skinny girl he runs around with to eat a few cheesecakes bleh, please! Razz

"Even when you're down and blue, just remember that someone out there loves you, even if you don't know it and even if you haven't yet met them. There's someone out there waiting for you, remember that and keep faith. You'll get there."
~~Johnny Depp.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Dreamland | Registered: 06 April 2004Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
We had our annual Divas Oscar party, last night.

It was at my place and had an Italian food theme, starting with antipasto, moving on to pasta with tomato, pesto and pine nuts and finishing with some Lebanese sweets (OK, so those weren't Italian, but my friend brought them).

There was plenty of sparkling red and white wine, also.

I sucked at the tipping poll. Cazza won and Nat de Rrrat came second, along with Ares.

Although there weren't a lot of award surprises on the night I thought that Chris Rock did quite a good job. He seemed very comfortable, to me.

I was nice to see Cate Blanchett recognised, although some dickhead asked her in an interview the morning after if she thought this was her first Oscar or really Katherine Hepburn's fifth. Idiot.

I had fun, as usual. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
Picture of Madogis
posted Hide Post
i too am glad that others dislike the swank dress. is it just me or did it look like it was on backwards when you saw it from the front o.O?

also, i don't think she should have won anything. i haven't seen any of the movies, but from the breif snippet they showed, she gave the most annoying performance in my opinion.

jamie foxx made me cry. all that stuff about his grandma, awww Smile. and usually that kind of thing just makes me roll my eyes but he was just so cute and sincere about it! i like that boy, i really do, and if i thought i would be the slightest bit interested in a movie about ray charles (no offense to him, but he was never really my thing) i'd go out and see it Smile

of course, having said that, johnny should have won, but what are ya gonna do Roll Eyes?

chris rock and selma hayack - damn them to hell!! they made me want to watch "dogma", and i can't watch it because my damn dvd player is on the fritz >.<. also, in chris' defense, i think he would have been a lot more entertaining in his natural environment of rampant swearing and inuendoes. he was still pretty to look at Razz

why does penelope cruz insist on living? cause i could do without her, i really could. and antonio, well, i wasn't feelin' him, even with the leg-slapping. i suppose it was nice though, and it did make me picture my wallpaper of him and brad pitt almost pashing in interview with the vampire, so that was good Smile

was there a category for animated films? as in shrek and such? i missed the first half hour, so it might have been then. it would totally suck if they've taken that category out already. it might even cause me to say that i hate the academy and everyone in it. *glares at them for not giving johnny an oscar*

and just as a side-note, some of us like beyonce, but i agree, three songs is a bit much, and one has to ask the question, why don't they choose someone more appropriate to the movie, like say the person who originally performed it or something? maybe there's a legitimate reason, but it's just a thought.

--------------------------------------