Scrolls
Get a little gamey

This topic can be found at:
https://bingoze.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/188600152/m/321608666

13 February 2004, 10:34 AM
Chiana
Get a little gamey
What are some of your favorite game genre's? (RPG, First person shooter, etc)

What is the most time you remember having played a game non-stop?

Are there any genre's you won't play?

Do you have a favorite console? Are there any you don't like?

What are some of your favorite games?

Do you buy strategy guides, or look up cheat codes or walkthroughs?

Are there any games you'd recommend staying away from?

I find that if I'm playing certain games a lot, I dream about them, play them in my mind (Tetris), and get the music stuck in my head. Does that happen to you at all?

There's a console coming out that plays computer games on your TV. Wouldn't it be great (and way impossible) if there was a console that played any disc or cartridge?

Do you have TechTV and if so, do you watch X-Play ?

What gaming websites do you frequent?

13 February 2004, 11:35 AM
Madogis
i like games like crash bandicoot and donkey kong, where you're running about collecting things, but you don't have to go wandering all over the continent to find stuff. i love fighting games, and the pokemon games (which i guess is RPG?) are my absolute favourites.

i know i played tekkan 2 from start to finish one day, which was probably about 8hrs straight, but i think i've gone for twice that on pokemon stadium, and probably thrice that on anyone of my gameboy pokemon games. it's all kind of a blur.

there's nothing i "won't" play, but i find war games a little tedius and anything that requires more than a point and click reflex gets me a little frustrated after a while.

i don't think they're consoles, but i couldn't live without my gameboys. my trusty old nintendo 64 has never let me down either.

pokemon gold/ruby, pokemon staduim 2, tekkan 2, crash bandicoot, rocks and gems (heh), and back in the old days, i loved supermario bros., tetris, an old dos computer game about a blond guy that i can't remember the name of, and of course, barn storming on the atari o.o

in the world of pokemon, anything goes.

"adventure games" on the gameboy lose all their impact to me. my harry potter and dbz games are collecting dust on the shelf - literally.

I find that if I'm playing certain games a lot, I dream about them, play them in my mind (Tetris), and get the music stuck in my head. Does that happen to you at all?
for a while there, i had pokemon puzzle challenge burned into my retinas, so that every time i closed my eyes, all i could see was the screen. then there's the spellbound song from the spelling game in primary school. i have the tune in my head right now, and i haven't played it for 7 years! i always dream about my pokemon, of course. and there was that one time where i was luigi from supermario bros., but that really was more about the movie than the game.

There's a console coming out that plays computer games on your TV. Wouldn't it be great (and way impossible) if there was a console that played any disc or cartridge?
i'm waiting for gameboy to start marketing movie cartridges - how cool would it be to watch a movie on your gameboy? i know they have those hand-held dvd players or whatever they are now, but i like my idea. come on gameboy! what are you waiting for!?

no idea.

serebii.net has a lot of good pokemon info. there's another one that salem sends me to when i get horribly lost, but i don't know what it's called, and i can't remember where to find it Frown. quite handy though Smile.

--------------------------------------

fear me...for i am the darkness
13 February 2004, 02:20 PM
Joey Jo Jo
What are some of your favorite videogame genre's?
Hmmm.. i dig the FPS (first person shooter). HALO = Best. FPS. Ever. RPG's kinda sorta. I lik Legend of Zelda and Kingdom Hearts, but i dont know if you'd call those RPGs. Also Survival Horror (Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness, Silent Hill) and action. I always like Super Mario too.

Im sure ive played a game for longer, but i just cant remeber. maybe 2 hours at the most. cept for when i first got Xbox Live, i think i played online for a good 4 or 5 hours.

Usually sports games. they are not my thing. cept for Tiger Woods 2004 that game is kick-ass!

My Xbox would have to be my fav, followed by my gamecube. I do not, however, like the PS2. there is only one word to describe the PS2: "craptacular". The only thing it has going for it that i do like is GTA and kingdom hearts.

Halo (XB), Battlefeild 1942 (PC),
Splinter Cell (XB), LoZ: Wind Waker (CB)Kingdom Hearts (PS2), Woods 04 (XB) to name a few... the list goes on and on and on and on and on. . . .

Nope, and i always play my games on Hard, so the game itself last longer, more fun that way too.

Yeah... American Idol on PS2. lol. and i know it may upset some on this board, but Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. They are not my thing at all. I cant understand why they are so popular.

Not so much anymore, but it did when i was younger. 'specially with Duke Nukem. That game was sweet.

it would indeed.

negaitve.

IGN.com, GameFAQS.com, Gamers.com, PlanetGameCube.com, and PlanetXBox.com

------------------------------

life is short and hard, like a bodybuilding elf
14 February 2004, 03:02 AM
Brucy Braless

I started Playing RPGs back around 1980 I think..
AD&D, Traveller,Boot Hill,Dragonquest..&
a Futuristic post apocalyptic one whos name escapes me.
Gamma World!
Yes thats it....This one was Good

these were played with Paper,dice,a Gamemaster &Imagination.
it was tuff to get people together to actually DO this... Wink

I like RPGs on my Commodre 64 & afew on the Amiga ..but I have moved on to
a Chit style comp war game called Empire & Its later edition Empire Deluxe
( this has been bought up by a new guy whos updated & re-released it.)

Killerbee Software

On my PC...
But my FAve Comp game of all time ..is Civilization..
By Sid Meyers.. I think I like CivNet best..

I have nearly Completely stopped COmp Games since I got on the Net.

I cant recall since one can walk away from my type of comp game..I might have played it for 8-10 hours..with coffeee breaks & meals Etc.

Sports are dumb. the only sport I participate in is Golf...& a sim is a POOR substitute.

I have never owned a game console I do all my Gaming on my Various Computers.

Ooops I answered that Above..
old XCoin op games I loved were Defender & Battlezone.. tho I was never very good at Either.

I have afew...

Anything that does run on a Comp... smash

A wee bit yeah..

YES! I really dont wanna drag out my Commode to play that Card game on it..& pack it back up at the end of the day...

Dunno what it is..so NO..

there are a couple of newsgroups that POst GAmes you can download but on dial-up & with the Ghastly program Rar to break it up into pieces I dont bother...
I found a few freebie sites from the Newsgroup.
I dont have the URLS handy.

Brucy runs out naked into the howling windy freezing winter nite...

WHAT ISSUE ??....WHAT 1 ISSUE ??? ARGHHHHH !!!

14 February 2004, 03:58 AM
Madogis
quote:
Originally posted by Joey Jo Jo:
i know it may upset some on this board, but Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. They are not my thing at all. I cant understand why they are so popular.

no probs joe, i think you really have to be into them before you'll truly appreciate them. i haven't played yu-gi-oh yet, but then, i've never been in it for the game Wink

14 February 2004, 05:56 PM
Nouchy
I love RPGs and cute 3D platformers, and *some* racing-type games.

About 10 hours straight.

Not really. But i don't particularly love shooting games.

Do you have a favorite console? Are there any you don't like? My favourite would be PS2. Then PSX. Then Super Nintendo, then Nintendo.

What are some of your favorite games? Well i kinda stopped playing video games about 5 years ago. So my favourite games are oldies. Like the Final Fantasy games (especially 7!!), Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, Croc, Yoshi's Island, skiing/snowboarding games... yeah... i can't think of anymore.

Do you buy strategy guides, or look up cheat codes or walkthroughs? For the final fantasy games, i occasionally look up walkthrus if i get lost or stuck in the game coz it can sometimes be so damn confusing (especially if you haven't played for months and can't remember what you were currently doing in the game).

Are there any games you'd recommend staying away from? The Tomb Raider games on psx. Impossible.

I find that if I'm playing certain games a lot, I dream about them, play them in my mind (Tetris), and get the music stuck in my head. Does that happen to you at all? Sometimes about Final Fantasy 7.

There's a console coming out that plays computer games on your TV. Wouldn't it be great (and way impossible) if there was a console that played any disc or cartridge? Umm yes i would be great o.o

Do you have TechTV and if so, do you watch X-Play ? uhhh what-tv? watch x-what? Confused

What gaming websites do you frequent? None.

14 February 2004, 06:19 PM
Cora
should have Waited till our Game Man Came home till we started this Thread Wink
Well I shall see what I can answer... :P

Well I like RPG, I guess. Games where you have to do a mission sorta thing. I guess that is RPG although the Extreme games like Final Fantasy are a bit much for me. I dont mind sports that much although I havent played that many, but if it counts I liked Wave Race ( I know laugh it up)

Played a Game non-stop or Watched someone play lol. I have put in alot of hours Watching Rellik play Golden Eye and Zelda!! lol but for my self the game that always seems to trap me is Harvest Moon. you start playing that game and the time just goes.... and its not that its a particularly stimulating game either.

Well nothing that I 'wont' play but I dont really like all those military intellegence stuff. I like my Golden Eye though LOL mostly because I am KILLER with Proximity mines lol.

Do ihave a fav Console.. well I am not the person to ask. I guess I will go wtih N64 mostly because that happens to be the one that I personally own. although I have to admit I like very much my original nintendo. I mean it brought it all lol. i have many memories plaing Castle Quest and Super Mario with my Dad and Brothers. I remember when my dad Brought it home it was cool. Big Grin also you cant forget the great tetris.

umm let me see I like good old Super Mario, Wave Race, Legend of Zelda, Spyro 1,2 and 3, Golden Eye, LOTR TTT, harvest Moon, Tetris, and of course playing Sonic way back when on the Sega .. Good Times, Good Times
oh and There are many that I LOVE to hear about Wink I'm sure there are more .. just cannot think of them right now lol

Do you buy strategy guides, or look up cheat codes or walkthroughs

Well I own 2 Strategy Guides.. well Three if you count Rellik, cause she was a super Help with Zelda! lol
I own one for Zelda, and one for Harvest Moon

Well I cant Really think of any game that I would recomend right now.. umm I know there have been bad choices but ... na everyone needs to try them on their own.

YES!! there is always something that connects with Super Mario LOL. and I hear alot of Zelda. and of course there is this one game that my brothers play ALL THE TIME. I dont remember exactly what is called but it is a car chase game and they have that song you know 'here in my car and feel...' well you KNOW that song.. so not only is it stuck but.. you hear it playing in those clothing stores at the mall.. you know what I mean o.O

I think It would be wayyyyy cool. I mean I still can remember the First time my brother told me we could play our PS1 games on the PS2 iunno it would be really sweet.

Nope Dont have it.. Dont think I have Ever Heard of it ...

Not any really, I have been to some but not lately

[This message was edited by far far away on 16 February 2004 at 10:16 AM.]

[This message was edited by far far away on 16 February 2004 at 10:17 AM.]
14 February 2004, 11:26 PM
Argeaux

Adventure games. Not Action/Adventure. Just Adventure.

About 10 or 12 hours.

Strategy. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I don't play consoles. I play on computer or Game Boy only. I prefer the computer for games I love and Game Boy for mucking around with games just before turning off the light and going to sleep. However, I'm starting to think that I might drag my lap top into bed in future for a bit of gaming before shut eye.

Zork. Wish they'd make a new one. I don't mind the Abe series. On the Game Boy I looooove Zelda. I'm a bit of a fan of Myst, too, although I hated Riven with a passion. SPQR was good.

I used to buy the guides until I found out that some of the online sites gave better clues. I also like that you can get hints online, and not just straight walk throughs.

Hmmm. Most of the TV Game Boy games - Buffy, Xena, et al. All of the Star Wars games. Skate board type games fairly suck on the Game Boy, too. For computers I'd say steer clear of racing/motorbike games. You're better off playing these on a console.

Only with SPQR, but that was a long time ago .....

Yup.

Nope.

Mostly www.gameboy.com for info and news about new Game Boy titles, and Game Spot for hints/reviews of both GBA titles and computer games.

Fun survey!
Smile

~~~~~~~~~~

Who did you think I would be? - HA! - well you got me instead.

15 February 2004, 08:06 PM
Sara

I prefer RPGs, FPS, some racing games

Hmm, when I rented that stupid "Sphinx & the Cursed Mummy" game, I played for hours, I think 5 or 6 because it pissed me off so bad

Anything like Yu Gi Oh, or Pokemon, I can't get into

I love love my Gamecube, did I mention I love it? I always have a place in my heart for Super NES, Nintendo & Sega though but I'm not too fond of X-Box actually

Halo, Medal of Honor, Eternal Darkness, Dark Alliance (D&D), Dark Alliance II, Metroid Prime, Prince of Persia (on PS2), BTVS, Dr. Mario on Nintendo, all Mario games pretty much

Nope, only for that stupid ass Sphinx game because I was freakin' determined to beat it

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy Razz

It did with Dr. Mario, sometimes it still happens to me

That'd be sweeeeeet! Big Grin

I do have TechTV but I never watch X-Play

None

I offer no apologies for the things that I believe and say
And I like it that way

And you say it's gonna happen now
But when exactly do you mean?
See I've already waited too long
And all my hope is gone

16 February 2004, 01:29 AM
bard4sharks

pretty much all. RPG, shooter, racing, sim, puzzle, sports

hmmm...prob about 6 hours. Playing Final Fantasy VII. Next would be about 4 hours play Pro Race Driver

I don't think so

LOVE my PS2. Hate X-box...only because it's microsoft based.

Pro Race Driver, NASCAR Thunder 2004, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear VR Missions, GT3, Rainbow Six, Xena for PS.

Depends what the game is. Most of the time I just look up what I want

No, not really

All the time. I play the games in my dreams then I have to get up and play or I can't function the rest of the day

That would be too much fun. I'd play video games the rest of my life...if I could afford the console

Do you have TechTV and if so, do you watch X-Play

Yes I have it. Yes I watch X-Play. LOVE IT! That and The Screen Savers and Call for Help.

none really
17 February 2004, 12:01 AM
Salem

I mostly like Adventure games and Platformers. I occaisonally like fighting games and some racing games.

I remember spending almost an entire day playing through Sonic 3 & Knuckles, getting all the Chaos Emeralds and the Super emeralds.

Not really

My favourite would be my Gamecube.

Spyro 1, 2 and 3, Pokèmon Sapphire, The Wind Waker and pretty much any Sonic the Hedgehog game Smile

I have a couple of Pokèmon guides for the Pokèdex and I'll look up FAQs when I get real stuck.

Not really..although Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly wasn't that great. It felt much shorter than it should have been and the framerate was all over the place. I'm blinded by my Spyro love though which is why I still get some enjoyment from it.

I occaisionally find myself whistling music from Zelda games and there are some dreams here and there.

That would be pretty cool Smile

Never heard of it.

Some of the ones Joey mentioned, IGN.com and Planet Gamecube, and also www.cube-europe.com. Oh, and good old Serebii.net Smile

---------------

19 February 2004, 02:04 PM
Chiana

RPG, Adventure, Sim, puzzle

7-8 hours

I'm not into sports tiles, driving games, or Yu Gi Oh/Pokemon thing.

PS2, N64, SuperNES...haven't tried Gamecube or XBox yet.

Chrono Trigger, The Zelda Games, Silent Hill 3, Final Fantasy X and X-2, Soul Calibur 2, Kingdom Hearts.

Sometimes. I bought a strategy guide for one of the Zelda's...maybe Ocarina of Time.

Do you have TechTV and if so, do you watch X-Play http://www.techtv.com/xplay/index.html/ ?

Hey, Sharky , I love all those shows too! And everybody at that network seems to be smart, funny, and good looking!

For those who don't know, Tech TV is a network that seems to be for and by hackers and geeks. I love it. They say things like, "this is probably illegal and will definitely void your warranty, here's how you do it..." They teach you how to "enhance" your XBox among many other things. They aren't big Microsoft fans either which is very entertaining.

Gamefaqs.com

Sara , I almost got that Mummy game too! Glad I didn't! I hear that Viewtiful Joe on Gamecube is supposed to be good.

20 February 2004, 08:07 AM
Madogis
i'll give a shiny new penny to anyone who can tell me what the yu-gi-oh game actually involves...anyone??

20 February 2004, 11:58 AM
Chiana
You got me there! AW! Frown I could have used the shiny penny! Well, I know that the Dragonball Z one is kind of a fighting game.

20 February 2004, 05:11 PM
Ripley
quote:
Originally posted by Chiana:
_What are some of your favorite game genre's? (RPG, First person shooter, etc)_
I like the RPG"s or the puzzle games

_What is the most time you remember having played a game non-stop?_
Maybe 5 or 6 hours

_Are there any genre's you won't play?_
I don;t like the fight type games and I could never get thru Mario Bros.

_Do you have a favorite console? Are there any you don't like?_
I like the Sega Genesis best

_What are some of your favorite games?_
Right now its Grand Theft Auto, Vice City
I liked The Sword of Vermillion on the Sega and the Legend of Zelda

_Do you buy strategy guides, or look up cheat codes or walkthroughs?_
Yes, we do

_Are there any games you'd recommend staying away from?_
I was very disapointed with Max Paine

_I find that if I'm playing certain games a lot, I dream about them, play them in my mind (Tetris), and get the music stuck in my head. Does that happen to you at all?_
Once in a while..Like today, I saw a cube van and thought to myself, thats the kind of vehicle I love blowing up in Grand Theft

_There's a console coming out that plays computer games on your TV. Wouldn't it be great (and way impossible) if there was a console that played any disc or cartridge?_
That would be cool

_Do you have TechTV and if so, do you watch http://www.techtv.com/xplay/index.html/ ?_
Nope

_What gaming websites do you frequent?_
Anything that refers to the game I'm currently playing...One that comes to mind is The Sims

http://www.sitefights.com/community/graphics/chiana/bio.jpg

20 February 2004, 06:16 PM
Fahrenheit

oh, I'm all over the place. I don't really like racing games, though, except Simpsons Hit & Run.

36 hours. Starflight 2, back in the late 80s I think, with a friend of my brother's. Awesome game.

I don't know. I haven't played all that many of the newer games. I don't so much like the scary ones, though, and killing isn't really my favorite.

I have a Gamecube and a computer, so I guess those would be my favorites. N64 is nice, also. My son has a Gameboy Advance that he likes pretty well, but I haven't played it much.

Rogue Squadrons 1 and 3, Starflights 1 and 2, F19 Stealthfighter (another old one), Simpsons Hit and Run, Rise of Nations, The Sims, Railroad Tycoon 2

Not usually guides, no. My kids like them, though. I might look up a cheat or a walkthrough if I'm stuck.

Nothing comes to mind.

Why yes. Yes it does. Just last night I dreamt of my little Ancient Age Rise of Nations people gathering resources. Sometimes if I play just before bed and my kids come in very early in the morning I'll talk some kind of nonsense about whichever game I was playing. They encourage it now. Mommy's funny.

Yes.

Do you have TechTV and if so, do you watch http://www.techtv.com/xplay/index.html/ ?

We have TechTV but nobody watches it. My son watches G4 a lot, though. He likes Starcade Smile

I look at the Sims official site once in a while. Also The Sims Resource, as well as a zillion other download sites. I just checked in at the Rise of Nations site the other day and learned of an upcoming expansion. heeehee
22 February 2004, 05:53 PM
Madogis
nice try chiana, but no penny for you. now lets all try to settle down and not knock things till we've tried them, or at least have the slightest idea what they are about, hm?

23 February 2004, 12:22 AM
Argeaux
I didn't read about Chiana "knocking" Yu-Gi-Oh, I read that she wasn't into that type of game. That's just her personal preference.

I don't know about any other platforms, because I don't play any others, but Yu-Gi-Oh on the GameBoy is a card/strategy game.

I find it tedious, as I do most of those type of games.

The exception for me is Final Fantasy Tactics, which I am fatally addicted to.

~~~~~~~~~~

Who did you think I would be? - HA! - well you got me instead.

16 March 2004, 04:34 AM
The Xenatizer
-First and foremost RPGs, mostly the complex biggies on the PC, but also some of the hack 'n slay variety like Diablo.
And I loved adventures, especially the Lucas Arts classics. Pity, the genre died out. Another extinct pleasure are Jump&Runs like 'Turrican', 'Jill Of The Jungle', 'Shadow Of The Beast', 'Leander' or'Alien Breed'. (mostly on the old Amiga)
Occasionally I like to just have a good ole Quake/Doom-style shoot-up.

-Roughly 12 hours. blush (Ultima VII Black Gate/Serpent Isle)

Are there any genres you won't play?
-Can't stand military action simulations or splatter shooters like 'Soldier Of Fortune'. Not too hot on strategy games, either. And most fighting games, with the strange exeption of the Namco games. (Tekken, Soul Blade... etc)

-I'm a PC player, mostly, but if pressed it'd be a Playstation anyday. The Bill-Box is just a badly camouflaged 700er PC with an ancient GForce 3 MX card and one of the worst designed pads I ever had to get my hands around. And one can predict with deadly certainty that all games sport better verions on the PC. The Cube isn't technically bad, but it's got nothing to offer than the ump-teenth Resident Evil variation and a few half baked rip-offs. No wonder the thing sells even worse than the Bill-Box. In strictly technichal terms, the PS2 should be the least successful of the three, but it isn't for a simple reason: The Games. Sony's strong point always has been the quality of their own game development teams as well as its recruitment policy. Teams simply like the freedom as well as total access to the original codes. That's why PS games often get much more out of the slower console than others out of the technically superiour cube, where Nintendo holds a tight technical as well as creative lid on their franchises. Microsoft's policy is just as bad.

-Have to reach back into the dark ages of PC-gaming for that one, sorry.
RPGs:
The Ultima series, especially Ultima VI-False Prophet and Ultima VII-Black Gate/Serpent Isle. Also the 2 groundbreaking 3D spin-offs Ultima Underworld I&II. (start of the flawless line of masterpieces 'Looking Glass' produced for the next 8 years, three of them being the first person SF RPGs System Shock I&II and Deus EX)
AD&D games, for example the original gold box classics like Pool of Radiance or the Savage Frontier series, Eye of the Beholder I&II, Menzoberranzan, Ravenloft. Then the new generation starting with Baldur's Gate I&II, the bizarre stroke of genius Planescape Torment and now Neverwinter Nights.
German classics are not to be sneezed at, either: Gothic I&II, Arx Fatalis, 'Das Schwarze Auge' and an excellent Diablo-type game called 'Sacred'.
Adventures: Indy IV Fate of Atlantis(perhaps THE adventure game of 'em all), Monkey Island I&II, Full Throttle, The Dig and Sam & Max Hit The Road. Beneath A Steel Sky, Blade Runner and Discworld are favs as well.

-Only if I'm really, really stuck, or for a second run to find anything I might've overlooked.

-Soldier of Fortune, King Pin

-Yep. In hard cases even going so far that I accidentally pour the coffee in my ashtray and - for a second ponder if I should go back and re-load.

-Sure

-Don't even know what that is.

-Only a few RPG message boards for chat and trouble shooting.

playful smash
The Xenatizer