Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Archives  Hop To Forums  Amphipolis Tidings Archive    Cricket: your questions answered

Moderators: Sara

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Cricket: your questions answered
 Login/Join 
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted
I've been told that there are those who don't/can't understand the wonderful world of cricket.

To celebrate the Cricket World Cup, which is underway as we speak, I will attempt to answer all and every question you may wish to pose about the "gentle game".

Fire away.

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Warrior Scroller
Picture of Herculena
posted Hide Post
1. How come matches last for days on end sometimes?

2. Tea breaks??

Signed,
Epstein's mother...er, I mean...
a mystified baseball fan.

[ March 13, 2003, 06:11 AM: Message edited by: Herculena ]

Posts: 335 | Location: East Hallelujah!, IL | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Dear Epstein

Ah yes, days of cricket.

Long before cricket was played in colourful costume there were ONLY matches played over a number of days; up to five in total. These were, and are, called "tests".

Tests differ from what we know as "pyjama cricket" in that:

1. "pyjama" or one day cricket matches only take one day to complete
2. players usually wear white clothing
3. a number of "innings" are played

Four innings make up a test. An inning is when one team is sent in to bat. Since there are four innings each team has a chance to bat twice.

If you are really good, and get a team out quickly, the whole match may only take one or two days to play.

However, if you are hopeless at getting the other team out the match will take many days to complete. If there is no result by the end of five days a draw is automatically called.

Now, as for tea breaks, cricket is a civilised game. Players are given a chance to refresh themselves. In olden times they did this by drinking tea. Now they do it by drinking Powerade.

Given the length of some matches it's only right, don't you think?

Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Fahrenheit
posted Hide Post
This is silly, but do people in cricketing countries keep a cricket bat behind the bedroom door (or wherever) for smacking intruders like we'd have a baseball bat? The cricket bat seems a bit more cumbersome.

Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
is cricket really as boring as baseball? do they ever just break down and spank one another with those big paddles?

waiting impatiently for football season,
titanhaid

[ March 13, 2003, 08:04 AM: Message edited by: Irish ears on fire ]

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Fahrenheit
posted Hide Post
What's the ball made of?

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Dear Gloria

No question is a silly question.

People DO keep cricket bats handy, however you must remember that we are a peace loving nation and tend not to keep weapons readily to hand. We keep our bats in the corner of the bedroom in case anyone wants a quick game of backyard cricket or indoor rolled-up-bit-of-paper-as-a-ball cricket.

I did hit Ares with a cricket bat once, in a mood. It was not cumbersome at all and gave a nice cracking sound on his leg. Funnily enough he's been quite compliant ever since.

As for the ball, it has a cork core wrapped with binding and then whole thing is covered with stitched leather. Usually the leather is a red colour for day matches and a yellow colour for night matches.

The competition balls are frequently referred to as "six stichers" because they are comprised of four pieces of leather which are stiched together with six seams.

They make a nice "chock" sound if you throw them at someone's head. Not that we ever would. As said previously, cricket is the "gentle game".

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Dear eyezoom

There are those who might say that cricket is boring. Watching people run up and down a patch of grass, bowling balls and trying to hit them and catch them for hours on end may not be everybody's cup of tea.

Heathens.

When cricket is being played at a leisurely pace there is always plenty of ground entertainment. People dressed as commentators sing songs, shout things out to the players and the crowd, or start the obligatory wave.

There's really no need for these shenanigans.

As for spanking other players with bats, there was an infamous incident involving an Australian bowler who kicked an Indian batter as he was walking back to bowl. The batter retaliated by raising his bat, but didn't actually make any contact. It was seen as a dark, dark day for the sport.

I hope that answers your questions.

Oh, by the way, Ares told me to add that Sachin Tendulkar is the Barry Bonds of cricket.

Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Fahrenheit
posted Hide Post
Why is it called cricket?

(I'm sorry if you've already addressed this, I'm migrainy and reading with one eye.)

Scroll Legend
posted Hide Post
Yeah, do people make chirping sounds or something? [Big Grin]

Posts: 144 | Location: NC | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Dear Choix Democratique

No need to apologise - your question is very pertinent and simple to answer.

The game of cricket is named thus for the same reason that hockey is called hockey.

It just is.

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Dear evilswine

Many sounds are made throughout the game of cricket.

Some of these include cheering, asking punters in front of you to sit down, or appealing "howszat?!" to the umpire.

However, to my knowledge, neither spectators nor competitors ever chirp.

In fact, if this was the reason for cricket's name, it would more likely be known as "cicada".

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
If anyone is still interested the Australians won the 2003 Cricket World Cup in a resounding triumph of the Indian team.

Go you good thing! [Big Grin]

[ March 30, 2003, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: Argeaux ]

Besotted Scroller
Picture of beauTifully tragic
posted Hide Post
congrats! [Big Grin]

this is all i have been able to find about name origin
"Attempts to pinpoint the origins of cricket through its name, however, have not been successful. Some authorities believe it stems from "crice", the Anglo-Saxon word for a Stick.

Others just as confidently claim that it is an Anglicised version of the French "criquet," the target stick in a bowls game."

http://stgeorgespark.upe.ac.za/origins2.html

Posts: 2723 | Location: la la land | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that, Tam. [Smile]

The other piece of information I found was that apparently baseball evolved from cricket.

Scroll Guardian

SCROLLER AND
INSTIGATOR OF
THE MONTH

Scroller and Instigator

posted Hide Post
Jessica and cricket facts.
Jess holds her arms up in the air, and says 'Howzat' and also 'Not out'. If Mick is watching football she tells him to turn it off and put cricket on. And she loves to go watch daddy play indoor cricket.

Now Argy, Mick wants me to ask, who is your favourite current player (for Aus of course) and who is your fav player ever.

Posts: 4830 | Location: Michelle @ work | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
OK, tell Mick I'm a bit of a Michael Bevan fan. I like the way he can get the team out of tough spots and stay cool under pressure.

I love to watch Brett Lee bowl, and the hat trick during the World Cup was certainly a joy to see (I was lucky enough to catch it live), but he's a bit too arrogant for me to really take him to my heart. Too much carrying on every time he does something interesting.

Favourite player of all time ..... well, it's hard to go past the Don. What I liked about him was, he was not only THE best cricketer EVER, but he actually enjoyed playing the game, he was not inappropriately modest and he loved his wife. He said his marriage to her was his best partnership ever. What's not to love?

If I had to pick someone besides him it would probably be Clive Lloyd. The only time I went to see him play he got out for 3 runs, which was a shame. I used to like his authouritarian control of the game and his team. With all that talent in the WIndies it would have been easy for the other players to get excited doing their own thing. He managed to keep them focused and, at the same time, lead the charge with the bat.

As you can see, I'm a BIG fan of the cool guys. [Smile]

Now you have to tell me Mick's picks.

Scroll Disciple
Picture of Brian
posted Hide Post
If people are in such desperate need of a good nap, why don't they just lie down somewhere and sleep? Why go through all the bother of a cricket match so the crowd can doze off?

And how do you know how long a cricket match lasts? No one has ever stayed awake until the end.

[ April 11, 2003, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: Brian ]

Posts: 207 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Legend
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tambian:
Some authorities believe it stems from "crice", the Anglo-Saxon word for a Stick.
Others just as confidently claim that it is an Anglicised version of the French "criquet," the target stick in a bowls game."

Oh, that reminds me! "Cricket" and "criquet" are awfully close to "croquet", yet another game involving sticks hitting balls. I think now we're getting somewhere....

Posts: 144 | Location: NC | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Warlord Scroller
posted Hide Post
By Jingo! Even the THOUGHT of cricket having anything to do with the French!
The FRENCH!
*snort*
I say! Totally out of the whatsit, and all that.
I mean, REALLY!
That's like calling tea and biccies at the vicerage a German custom!

anglophile [Razz]
The Xenatizer

[ April 12, 2003, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: The Xenatizer ]

Posts: 314 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 July 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Rather!

Now, Mr Brian, I can't believe that you would be so uneducated as to make those value judgements upon a game as subtle as cricket.

What could be MORE fascinating, I ask you, than watching 11 men hit a small ball with a piece of wood and chase it around an oval for hours on end?

Your comments suggest to me that you are confusing cricket with baseball.

If you ever GO to a cricket match you will your blood pumping and your soul soaring. Should you ever find yourself in Australia, give me a call and I'll show you how the world's best do it!

Besotted Scroller
Picture of beauTifully tragic
posted Hide Post
a bat, a ball and running around.. how could anyone confuse the two??

Posts: 2723 | Location: la la land | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
One wonders, mambi Tambi.

One truly wonders.