Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Archives  Hop To Forums  Amphipolis Tidings Archive    Misunderstood Masterpieces

Moderators: Sara

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Misunderstood Masterpieces
 Login/Join 
<Brucy Braless>
posted
I have seen the last hour of
"The Messenger:the Story of Joan of Arc"

ILOVE this movie..
it came rather near Gladiator timewise..

I missed it at the Theatres.

But I saw it on Cable & it was on again last night.

I should start with a few Qualifiers...

I know little about Joan of Arc
Im an Aetheist & Proudly know little of ANY religion...Yes I want to keep it that way too...!!! Wink

3rdly I had a parent(god rest his soul) Big Grin
Who was nuttier than a fruitcake & seemed to like it that way...
he was a mostly manic manic-depressive....

This version of Joan of A isnt a historical account or some pious story of shining glory..

It rather respectfully suggests that MAybe JOan of Arc was just a girl hearing voices...

It is chaotic & choppy just like insanity itself might be ..
but it never suggests an answer to the question are these voices.... God..???

Its on again 3am staurday Morning Im gonna Tape it & watch it in its entirety.

See if it still has all its Insane Magnetism.

IF you know a movie no one "gets" but you .... tell us about it.

PS Mesenger was Roundly hated by all the critics I could find on rottentomatoes.com

Proves that sometimes if you 'know' too much you cant see beyond it.....I guess

Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
I rented this movie when it first came out on video. I really liked it. It portrayed Joan as a complete schizo versus a saint or martyr.

If you enjoyed the last hour, you'll like it in full.

Posts: 764 | Location: Buried under a pile of school books... | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Nightmare
posted Hide Post
Misunderstood Masterpiece

WARNING: What you just read represents my opinion so that means it should matter.

Posts: 494 | Location: Tempe, AZ | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
Tempest - I love it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More than a superstition, when put in my position
Temptations and opinions, this heart's not my possession
Hold tight to your convictions, hypocrites in all directions
Cling to the things your father taught you, confess your sins to the One who bought you

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Warlord Scroller
posted Hide Post
'Misunderstood', eh?
Well, I don't know about that, but I certainly know about 'less understood' movies.

AVALON - The blueprint for self-deception as well as self-discovery in the computer age.

ORLANDO - The impossible congenial adaptation of Virginia Woolf's novel.

200 MOTELS - Zappa: defined. We: confused.

THE THIEF, THE COOK, HIS WIFE & HER LOVER - There isn't any movie closer to our hidden fears.

ENGLAND MY ENGLAND - Just a portrait of Henry Purcell..., but really a portrait of what we've lost for good.

odd
The Xenatizer

Posts: 314 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 July 2003Report This Post
<Ghost of Brucy Past>
posted
Gads Ulrich..
I have never seen ANY of those movies....!

I shall have to keep an eye out for them...

Did you ever watch "the Messenger?"

I think you might like it.

It is Odd if nothing else. Wink

Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Xenatizer:
THE THIEF, THE COOK, HIS WIFE & HER LOVER - There isn't any movie closer to our hidden fears.
Did critics not like this movie in your part of the world?

In Oz they couldn't sing its praises long or loud enough.

~~~~~~~~~~

I’m not so sure that the term refers to an amicable argument; in my experience argy-bargies are often not only heated discussions but also rather bad-tempered ones, amounting to a spat or minor quarrel. But then, the term is mainly a British or old Commonwealth one, not that well known in the US, and easily misunderstood out of context.

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
Picture of Madogis
posted Hide Post
i once herad the cook the theif his wife and..the rest described as "a painting that moves along a bit every couple of minutes." never seen it myself, so i have no idea what that interpretaion might mean, just thought i'd put it out there.

anyway, i guess my missunderstood movies would be:

vanilla sky
not a fan of tommy boy at the best of times (interview with a vampire being an exception) but i totally get this movie. i don't know that i necessarily "like" the movie, but i get it. i understand it and appreciate what it brings to the world. which is, a slight matrix rip off with no action or story. i still get it though.

the prince of egypt
i'm a sucker for old testament bible stories, so i love this film. pluss it's a cartoon, AND it has that catchy "there can be miracles" song to go with Smile. i forced my family to take me to see it, and when we got out, they all looked at me like i had inflicted a plague upon them. i liked it though.

the last unicorn
i wouldn't say this movie is "unappreciated" but it doens't get the praise ti deserves. i once heard someone call the aniamtion "crude" which i thought was a joke. just because the aniamtors went with a more stylised approach doesn't make it "crude". i still think that unicorn is one of the most beautiful i've ever seen, but that's over appreciation for you.

watership down
again, not sure that it's unapreciated, but definitely needs a boost in the direction of popularity. i get why they can't push it too much with the kiddies (it gets a little emotionally scarring in parts) but there's no reason why adults can't pick it up and say "hm".

finally,
buffy the vampire slayer
most of us appreciate the series, but the movie is widely discredited. well I like it. i think it's funny, edgey, brilliant and cool. for years i rtefused to watch the series because i feared it strayed too far from my beloved movie, which it did, but that's ok. i love 'em both Smile

--------------------------------------

i used to be with it. then they changed what it was. now what i'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird an scary to me. it'll happen to YOU.

Ultimate Scroller
posted Hide Post
I'm looking forward to the new Last Unicorn movie. I bet they'll make it very well. Big Grin

-----------------

Posts: 538 | Location: Santa Monica, CA | Registered: 28 July 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
I like the Buffy: The Vampire Slayer movie too.

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
True Stories - David Byrne

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Eternity is our fwiend, wemember that, and wuv wiw fowwow you fowever."

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guru
Picture of mons
posted Hide Post
OMG i LOOOOVE ORLANDO!!!

oh... and TOMMY BOY. he he he....

mons

Warlord Scroller
posted Hide Post
Sorry, had overlooked this thread for quite a while.

Nope, Brucy, I haven't seen 'The Messenger', but from its credentials you might be right. Might be right up my street.
I'll have a look, anyway. Thanks for the tip.

Yeah, A, "The Cook..." got some decent, yet overly dry and intellectually over-blown, reviews, but it was a flop in the theatres. Even *I* can't quite explain why it's one of my all-time key films.

Ah! That's the first time I've encountered someone who likes - hell, even KNOWS - Orlando. Well met. Big Grin

Cool
The Xenatizer

Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Fahrenheit
posted Hide Post
I mentioned liking Orlando a long time ago. Wink

Warlord Scroller
posted Hide Post
Oops... blush

The Xenatizer

Dream Scroller
Picture of The Troll
posted Hide Post
My favorite over-looked masterpiece is a TV show right now called "The Yellow Handkerchief." It's a subtitled soap opera out of South Korea and it is just beautiful to watch. It can make me cry more than once an episode, and laugh at least once in the same half hour. It is on a small public station- WYBE at 11:50PM where I live.

The original "Buffy" was excellent. I never did get into the show.

I have a copy of the last unicorn which I have not seen yet. My husband is the cartoon buff- but I'll watch it now that you suggested it Madogis.

"THX119" is a movie I haven’t seen but I have heard it's one of the best over-looked Sci-Fi movies made.

I have an overlooked actor for you: Raul Julia. I was so sad when he died. His career was sad too, most of his movies under used his talents.

"The Doors" by Oliver Stone didn't receive the attention it deserved. I have the DVD. It's beautifully filmed, and Val Kilmer is fantastic as Morrison. Also a great performance by then new comer Meg Ryan. Also I totally GET this movie in ways that I don't think many do.(Brucy- for you it may be another trip to the abyss of mental disorder)

"Repulsion" is a very scary movie about insanity and where it can take someone. I wouldn't watch it again but I recommend it.

The best over-looked western is the remake of "Shoot out at the OK corral." I forget the title but it's the one with Val Kilmer (again excellent) as Doc Holiday. Those guys made it all look so cool!

Finally, a movie that I got but no one I know did was “The Boys from Brazil,” to me it was one of the funniest satires of Sci-Fi movies, and one of the best statements about why humans suck.

<Brucy B>
posted
Yeah Nanzar Tombstone ... that was a Western !!

IMDB info on 'Tombstone' here

Lotsa famous actors in it.
I also thought it was a Good watch!

Report This Post