Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Archives  Hop To Forums  Race Around Ancient Greece    RACE AROUND ANCIENT GREECE: THE SURVEY

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
RACE AROUND ANCIENT GREECE: THE SURVEY
 Login/Join 
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted
1. Which Race death was your favourite, and why:

a) Ephiny being offed by Livia
b) The beheading of Ares.
c) Autolycus on ice.
d) Death by pie for Gabrielle and Amarice.
e) The Fates accidentally kill our favourite Auntie Callisto.
f) Joxer chokes.
g) Ephiny, by Alti and Hope, via Eli's head.
h) Caesar falls foul of destiny.
i) Zeus has his way with Minya and Eli.
j) Willow takes Alti out.
k) Cupid falls on his arrows.
l) Mars slashes Eve's throat.
m) Zeus and Hera suffer the kiss of death.

2. What was your favourite part of the Race?

a) The story.
b) The tasks.
c) The diaries.
d) Interference from Zeus and Hera.
e) Other - please say what.

3. Did you follow the Race?

a) The story.
b) The tasks.
c) The diaries.
d) Dude, I read every little thing.

4. What was your favourite part of the Race Around Ancient Greece story?

5. What was your favourite task?

6. Which diary/diaries did you enjoy reading?

7. Which story twist was the best:

a) The madness of Empress Livia.
b) Xena and Callisto swapping bodies.
c) Headless Eli.
d) The suspension of death.
e) Comedy week.
f) Pregnant Minya and her offspring.
g) The third chakram.
h) Other - please say what.

8. Anything else you want to say?

~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Dream Scroller
Picture of The Troll
posted Hide Post
1. Which Race death was your favorite, and why:

c) Autolycus on ice.
f) Joxer chokes.

I liked them all when I realized that their deaths had a certain amount of poetic justice:
Ephany chose to die rather than be a follower of Eli (that was not a true death however)
Ares dies because of Eli- a reverse of Eli's earlier fate
Autolycus tried to trick one to many deities
Gab and Am never did much of anything exciting, so pie was appropriate
Callisto was an accident waiting to happen
Joxer a child himself-taken out by a baby
(Ephany and Hope I don't recall)
Caesar always was a little short on luck
Minya and Eli killed by love! It was disgustingly written but a good turn
(Alti quit, I thought)
Cupid on arrows speaks for itself
Livia/eve cut mercilessly as she was wont to do.
and finally Zues and Here having too much fun.

2. What was your favorite part of the Race?

a) The story.
b) The tasks.
c) The diaries.

I liked the diaries the best because they were a light into the character that the story can't always bring out. I liked reading Minya's the most. It helped me to understand her and dare I say, love her (through Eli of course).

extras- I did a web page which I enjoyed. It helped me understand Eli and follow the story. Also the other extras that are still going are funny.

a) The story.
I left for a while after Eli was killed but I came back and got caught up and enjoyed the rest.

b) The tasks.
c) The diaries.
Yes
Basically yes.

4. What was your favorite part of the Race Around Ancient Greece story?

Again, I am a bit of a fan of Minya, so I liked the way she stayed in there. She was always a minor character in the show, but she managed to make herself integral to the story. I thought the changes she went through were the most meaningful.

5. What was your favorite task?
I liked finding a way to use the gift I got for Solstice. Although that wasn't explicitly asked for (I think those who did should have gotten extra credit.)

Minya's and Dities.

This was handled excellently by Sara.
Didn't get it.
c) Headless Eli.
This is my favorite, even though I had trouble in the beginning it became fun to write, both for the head and the body.
Wow what a lot violence lurks beneath the souls of humans!
e) Comedy week.
Didn't think it was funny
That poor kid, she never had a chance with so many people trying to influence her.
g) The third chakram.
This turned out very good.
Time travel. I was against it in the beginning but it was used to fairly good effect by Nora in the end.

XC deserves to get extra credit for the funniest entries. The race would have been quite dire if not for his levity.
Also the songs for Eli's head were extra bits that just cracked me up!

Scroll Obsessive
Picture of KSena
posted Hide Post

c) Autolycus on ice.
f) Joxer chokes.

All was good, in my mind. Although, my favorite must have been Joxer's. He got to go out in a good way, wish I feared he weren't going to. There is more to him then meets the eyes...

a) The story.
b) The tasks.
c) The diaries.

c) The diaries. No question about it. I had sooo much fun writing for Joxer!!! He changed so much from the start to his death! He got a life of his own really, when I wrote for him. And then there was Minyas diary... My, my... So yeah. Diary. Big Grin

a) The story.
b) The tasks.
c) The diaries.

I followed a) The story, b) The tasks and c) The diaries, but only a few of them. Mostly Minyas and Eli's, since they were a port of Joxers little story within the big story. Smile

Tough question. XC's writings. Really. They were wonderful! And Minyas kid. Oh, and Livias crazyness to. That was well written as well.

The Solstice gift.

Dite's Afro and Minya's. Big Grin

c) Headless Eli.
e) Comedy week.
g) The third chakram.

I have no idea. That one was to tough to answer...

Awesome thing to pull off guys!!! I am so impressed. I so hope you pull together another game again in the future, 'cause you guys rock!!! Big Grin

<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>

My LiveJournal: A look inside KSenas mind...

Posts: 1120 | Location: Borås in Sweden | Registered: 30 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post

c) Autolycus on ice.
f) Joxer chokes.

- So sad to see scrollers leave the story & their character dispatched. I enjoyed Xena's yanking out Mars' heart & beheading him. Nice cure for his insanity.

a) The story.
b) The tasks.
c) The diaries.

- An even tie between the story & the diaries.

a) The story.
b) The tasks.
c) The diaries.

- d) Dude, I read every little thing. It was sometimes hard keeping up with everything in the beginning, with so many characters, plus there's only so much my fragile mind can take in at a time. Smile

- Beginning when Caesar brought all the characters togather and the 3rd chakram part was starting. Sometimes it was difficult seperating character from scroller as they were doing such a good job at it- ie, Minya/WP9, Livia/Sara, Eli/Nanzar, etc etc. Also liked the use of characters not assigned to other scrollers. Hope, Dahok, Draco, Paulina- she survived her traveling companions- that was cool. I enjoyed how Minya was such a driving force in the story. Hated to see Gabby & Joxer offed so early!

- dite's report cards. I especially liked what everyone wrote for those 6 or 7 pics, making a story from them. Lotta great imagination there.

- All of them. Minya's was a hoot to read. They were all good.

c) Headless Eli.
e) Comedy week.
g) The third chakram.

- Comedy week woo-hoo!

- Can i ramble boringly aboot dite? *waits for reply, gets none, so rambles* i wasn't keen on being dite at first (later i dreaded givin her up). Never liked how they portrayed her on the show. Making her bad didn't work, so i wanted to put her through changes. Change her deityhood, change her name eventually. She didn't fit in to much of the story for awhile but i figured that suited her style, she wasn't a super-hero type. So i had her mingle with other gods, ponder on her hidden ambitions and luckily (for me) she stayed alive through it all (even when she was thought dead from Zeus' lightning bolt). My "goal" was to make the Aphrodite at the end a somewhat different, changed character than at at the beginning when she was dite's afro- though she'd still be an airhead, whether she was doing it for laughs or for real was left up to the readers. I envied the writing styles of everyone else in the Race. Ya'll did an excellent job yay! The Lao Ma bit almost burned me out ha ha but i was aiming for a different theme each week i survived. Twas fun writing as much as i did for dite as for Zeus & Hera (thanks Ame & Argy for taking that in stride Smile ) Ok, i bored yuns enuff. I gotta go bury two Indo-European gods, Dyé:s Pté:r and Westya, in my backyard (ha ha an in-joke between me & the voices in my head).

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Free Madness
posted Hide Post

c) Autolycus on ice.
f) Joxer chokes.

Can't decide between a few i like best rotfl...had to love Zeus and Hera's kiss of death that was too classic. Minya's and Eli's death rotfl well in the end I rather thought that was cool, they went out with a bang. Joxer's death...very dramatic. The grin on the baby's face when it's over...chilling. Ares' death, way cool. Eli takes him out with lightning. Had to love Livia being taken out by a Roman War God, ironic, being that the Greek Goddess of Love talked her into going there in the first place...very ironic. And Ephiny's death by Eli's head and the kid and Alti....again, very dramatic. Loved it.

a) The story.
b) The tasks.
c) The diaries.

[b]I actually liked it all. I read every diary, so I could keep up with what others were doing with their charactars, as well as what they thought of mine. It was fun hanging out with Moonie on msn, talking about ideas for Minya and Joxer's relationship, I had some fun with that one. I loved the way Eli became an integral part of Minya, Joxer's and Paulina's lives....and showing up in everyone's diaries as if Eli were speaking in their heads...too cool. I guess that would fall under "extras"--plus the banter in the What if thread between charactars...that was good for a laugh. ANd the interferance from Zeus and Hera...that was priceless when they came into Minya's diary and drank her rum and got drunk together that was cool. For the record, I love the way you two wrote their relationship...a lot of love mixed with of course jealousy...Zeus was so full of life, and Hera was jealous but she loved that life...had to love it.Big Grin

a) The story.
b) The tasks.
c) The diaries.
Definitely D for me. I was hooked lol.

I loved how all the charactars grew together and it all just kind of spiraled from there. People interrelated, and other non scroller charactars, such as Mars, Hercules, Pauly and Jeremaiah were given life. Had to love Caesar's third chakram entry, everyone coming together. THat rocked. And the way the chakram came together was cool. I loved the entry where Xena sang the funeral song for all who had died, after the chakram was restored. THat was moving. Another moving one was Dite's Afro's Lao Ma entry. THat rocked, very touching. Two women whose sons went all wayward, coming together, well one of them a goddess but there ya go. Had to love Livia's madness, excellent writing by Sara.

I'd have to say when we wrote a story about all the pictures...that was fun.Big Grin THe solstice gifts were cool too. But if i have to pick one, I'll say the task where we swapped diaries. That was a lot of fun but VERRRRY challenging. I don't think i lived up to that cuz well I had so many ideas for Cupid that i had to squeeze into two story entries--I think a lot of those ideas got muddled.Razz But it was fun being Xena for a week even if only in her diary.Big Grin

I loved Eli's Higher Realm. That was so wonderfully done. And Dite with the jumping back and forth to the 21st century...rotfl, Dan Ratherstoopid, that was priceless. WEll all of it rocked.Big Grin I enjoyed Caesar's diary too, his quest to find himself, find his family...as Cupid I wanted to explore that a bit but never got a chance with all that went on rotfl. But nicely done.Smile And Livia, when she was mad...brilliant. Joxer's diary was adorable, it was so what Joxer would say.Big Grin And...Auntie Callisto. Priceless.Big Grin

c) Headless Eli.
e) Comedy week.
g) The third chakram.
The madness of Empress Livia and the third Chakram. The mad scenes were awesome, very operatic actually...it was fun reading about the sparrows and shimmers--and how Livia is a good girl...I thought I saw a secret desire in there to find some good in life. Heitie's last entry, where Xena found her, was really nice. Xena rocking her daughter back and forth. THe third Chakram rocked...and when it all came together that was just priceless. THe design was really cool. And ok I'll put a vote in for myself, my third favorite was Minya's pregnancy and the offspring. I loved the Dahok spawn twist...gave me a challenge, good or evil? And Eli's head and the influence on her as Ephiny died...awesome. I couldn't decide what to do with her for awhile, I kind of thought I'd make her good, triumph over the evil inside her...in the end it made sense to give her an evil plan but one of her own. I don't think I had enough time to develop her the way I wanted to--not enough time for everything lol.

8. Ta to everyone who enjoyed Minya's diary...it was fun writing it...I loved that Minya was an integral part of the story cuz I was always a fan of hers myself...she was a person who did her own thing, loved life, lived it to the fullest and I wanted to show that in every aspect.

The way Cupid died bummed me out a bit rotfl sorry but I realized I did the ditzy blonde god thing a little too well--I reread the diary and he did look a little too ditzy...i always hoped his other qualities would come through as well--his loyalty, bravery--oh well you learn something new with writing as I learned I think with him. Funny, when I wrote Minya I loved the godlike powers I gave her in the beginnning but really enjoyed exploring her humanity when the powers were gone. Then,when I wrote Cupid I wanted some humanity to shine through even with all the powers. Intriguing, we always want what we don't have. Still I had fun writing both, taking them on their journeys.

All in all, a fun outlet for me. Look forward to more games like this.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Free Madness,

"Even when you're down and blue, just remember that someone out there loves you, even if you don't know it and even if you haven't yet met them. There's someone out there waiting for you, remember that and keep faith. You'll get there."
~~Johnny Depp.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Dreamland | Registered: 06 April 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post

c) Autolycus on ice.
f) Joxer chokes.

I liked the death by pie the best. It was very well written and Amethyst captured Madogis' characterization of Caesar over the course of the game very well. Honorable mentions: Ephiny getting killed by Livia and Zeus enjoying Eli and Minya.

Have to admit, I'm still really pissed off about Callisto's completely uncalled for erasure from EXISTENCE. Kind of a shitty thing to do to a fellow player. As for Callisto being "an accident waiting to happen." That was kind of the point of Callisto. She was supposed to cause trouble for people fighting on the light side of the Force.

a) The story.
b) The tasks.
c) The diaries.

The tasks were lots of fun. I think I enjoyed the school progress report the most. The story aspect got a little frustrating because some nice little plot points got pushed aside. I guess that's just what happens when there are that many writers--and massive amounts of plot points, lol

a) The story.
b) The tasks.
c) The diaries.

I tried to read everything, but frankly some of the diaries I'd just skim. Only so many hours in a day when you work two jobs

I thought it was a damned gutsy move when bailey/Ephiny killed her character. It was well written. I loved zoom/Alti's take on the dazed reaction of street magician Eli. Livia's madness was brilliant. And at the risk of tooting my own horn--cause I suggested it to Sara--the billy goat necking. The way she executed it, it felt like a moment that would have been on the show.

The school progress reports. That was fun to write. The photo caption was fun to read.

Alti's drinking songs and solstice carols. Hands down.

c) Headless Eli.
e) Comedy week.
g) The third chakram.

The madness, of course. But I had fun going Orpheus on Eli's head.

It was a lot of fun, but in the future I'd reccomend that we only play it out 4 weeks. Six weeks tops. You could elimate more people in a week. Thanks to everyone who stuck it out and played. Thanks to those of you who contributed to Auntie Callisto's blog.

Posts: 2306 | Location: DFW | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Sara
posted Hide Post

c) Autolycus on ice.
f) Joxer chokes.
i)Zeus has his way with Minya and Eli.

A, D, I. bailey's execution of that death scene was marvelous. The death by pie was just fitting and humorous. And Zeus givin' it to Eli and Minya just cracked me up, cause I'm a heathen like that and proud of it.

a) The story.
b) The tasks.
c) The diaries.

The tasks and the interference from the gods were cool. I liked the interaction between most of the "baddies". The villains really kept true to their characters and made it interesting when plotting ways to screw with the good guys and with the other villains.

a) The story.
b) The tasks.
c) The diaries.

Most everything, but to be honest, I skimmed tons of diaries. I was honing in on key words like "Livia, Eve, Xena stabbing Livia, Roman, Bitch, Rome, Empress, Champion, Livia is great," etc. Big Grin

Ephiny offing herself was grand. bailey was magic with that, and she and I had a secret nefarious alliance going on. Any interaction between Eph and Liv had a higher sinister purpose, lol til she got killed. zoom's idea of Alti's Anti-christ stew was great. Mad props to them. I also enjoyed Nora's Paper Rock Scissors scene, genius. And I still liked my billy goat thing. True Nora suggested it, but I had the balls to post it and I stand behind my writing.

Photo captions was fun. So was the country one.

Alti's, ephiny's, Callisto's and once Nora took over, Xena's. I also enjoyed reading Dite's Afro's diary when I wanted some levity and reading everyone's when the switch happened. Interesting stuff.

c) Headless Eli.
e) Comedy week.
g) The third chakram.

The madness was a cool one. The body swap, and I liked the suspension of death, for the most part.

Thanks to everyone who liked Looney Liv. It's still disconcerting that the madness was the easiest thing to write. I have a psychopathic, mentally unstable Roman Empress living in my head. Lovely. And yes Kate, there were glimpses of good in Looney Liv's character. She did want to be "a good girl", more than anything actually. Thanks to b for collaborating with me, our scenes were solid and fun to write. It woulda been fun ruling with Ephiny as my consort/co-ruler. Wink

I also thought that sometimes quality was needed instead of quantity. Length does not good writing make. It was fun, for the most part. I think maybe we should do something lighter next time. We all seemed to take the game to heart and people got either deeply offended or extremely frustrated or both. It was an interesting experiment and we all saw sides of ourselves I don't think many of us knew were there. I thought xc was pretty good in his writing, he consistently got better. Props to you man. Nora is just an evil genius, her Xena(s) were great. Yeah s'about it. Thank you, please drive through.

I <3 4 foot 11, blonde, operatic wonders from Oklahoma.

There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness

Posts: 2158 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Disciple
posted Hide Post

c) Autolycus on ice.
f) Joxer chokes.

while i think it rude to vote for yourself, i honestly have to say eli and minya's deaths made me giddy for days.

a) The story.
b) The tasks.
c) The diaries.

the story. defienatly. it was the the only constant in the whole race. the tasks and the diaries were constantly misinterpreted and chaos ensued. zues and hera rocked as well showing COMPLETE indeference, no matter what others think.

a) The story.
b) The tasks.
c) The diaries.

the story. i would scan diaries for my name and that's it. to much drivle and the such. zoom's diary was always good for a read. i read callisto's and livia's as well.

getting to know the scrollers. like some people i liked before the race, i don't now, and others i were indifferent to, i now pay attention to their posts.

the countries. that was fun. i learned something, and that always rocks.

livia's when she was crazy. that rocked. and since we were working together, i understood it all. lol. and auntie callisto is still going strong. Smile

c) Headless Eli.
e) Comedy week.
g) The third chakram.

i think comedy week challanged the baddies the most, so that was interesting. it's hard to be funny and a badass at the same time. the suspenion of death was much needed. xena and callisto swapping bodies was classic.

plenty. but this is neither the time nor the place. i'll just end with, i was the second alti. Razz

~b

Posts: 237 | Location: sodak | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post