Scrolls
Watching Xena Again

This topic can be found at:
https://bingoze.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/356604191/m/26010904

14 May 2010, 11:59 PM
xenacrazed
Watching Xena Again
FIN 1 & 2 director's cut

finally made it thru all the seasons. The finale sucks worse than i remember it. So poorly written, as if they were making things up as they go along. i didn't recognize Xena at all. The dehumanization of Gabby continued. The story just didn't make sense. From the get go when Xena whines about traveling Greece rest of her life fighting n all, i mean, it felt like 'hey Gabby, look for pods in the campsite cuz that ain't the real Xena'! A finale shouldn't feel like it's a finale- it should just be another story that isn't forced & defy the logic & rules the show created in its early years. Gone was the clever strategist that Xena has always shown herself to be. Instead we get someone who is little more than Akemi's dog. woof woof! The finale is an insult from Rob Crapert but having braved the insult of season 5 & the continued degrading of Gabrielle, what more can be expected from the jerk who treated the show many of us loved like generic, assembly line product. oh well. Next few weeks i'm watchin my fave Xena eps to get the grime of the finale off my soul.
18 May 2010, 01:14 AM
Amethyst
maybe now you're finished recapping them, i should go through them and watch them in order and recap them from my point of view..lol

20 May 2010, 06:33 AM
Discord Man
Yea, I am with ya XC, it seemed Tapert wanted something to make headlines rather than to fit with the show, I don't hate the finale, but it to me did not fit into the story that season 6 was giving, I would have rather seen something among the norse gods or something involving the remaining greek gods tied in. Reminded me of the arc in season three with Lao Ma, which I felt was done well. Akemi was a brand new character which we were all of the sudden supposed to care about and love as much as Gabrielle, but she had very little to build her up into that. It was ok as a side movie, but as a finale, of the whole series is was not fitting and a bit insulting to those who followed Xena and Gabrielle's many perils just to see it end with a new character being more important than anything seen in the past 6 years, just my opinion of it all anyway.

------------------------

www.youtube.com/discordman
22 May 2010, 01:51 PM
xenacrazed
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle:
maybe now you're finished recapping them, i should go through them and watch them in order and recap them from my point of view..lol

you should! then i can reply to each 'n finally we get sum discussion goin on here again!
22 May 2010, 02:03 PM
xenacrazed
quote:
Originally posted by Discord Man:
Yea, I am with ya XC, it seemed Tapert wanted something to make headlines rather than to fit with the show, I don't hate the finale, but it to me did not fit into the story that season 6 was giving, I would have rather seen something among the norse gods or something involving the remaining greek gods tied in. Reminded me of the arc in season three with Lao Ma, which I felt was done well. Akemi was a brand new character which we were all of the sudden supposed to care about and love as much as Gabrielle, but she had very little to build her up into that. It was ok as a side movie, but as a finale, of the whole series is was not fitting and a bit insulting to those who followed Xena and Gabrielle's many perils just to see it end with a new character being more important than anything seen in the past 6 years, just my opinion of it all anyway.

Glad to see ya again Discord Man. One would think they would have at least made the new characters likable in the finale & bring in some Japanese gods to help (as they did in "The Way"). i hated that TPTB dummyed down Xena! She was unbelievably lame during the first encounter with that soul eater demon thing. But she had to be- it was the finale & TPTB fated her to die.
22 May 2010, 02:33 PM
xenacrazed
To get the stench of the FINs off me, i watched a couple favorite eps last nite- "Sins of the Past" & "Callisto". Talk about yer authentic Xena & Gabrielle, this excellent eps have 'em. One of the things that made the show great for 4 seasons was the yin and yang differences between X&G. It's glad to see that again after 2 seasons of Xena & Xena Jr with no difference between the two.
24 May 2010, 04:38 AM
Discord Man
That yin/yang relationship was the reason I was hooked instantly long ago. Gabrielle was a great source of comedy and balanced out some of the drama. But did they ever love to kill off everyone she was emotionally attached to.

------------------------

www.youtube.com/discordman
24 May 2010, 07:35 PM
Amethyst
me and jess are in the middle of watching charmed first ep through to last ep

after we do, we'll do xena Big Grin

and i'll write any fun comments jess makes when we watch it..lol

18 June 2010, 09:22 PM
xenacrazed
i watched "Altared States” a couple weeks ago.

Then i started watchin Twin Peaks again. Beginning with "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me" movie, which is the prequel to Laura Palmer stuff. Then i saw the 2 hr pilot movie. This weekend i start with season 1 box set. i plan to watch a Xena ep every now & then to break up the Peaks marathon. i think Argy's a TP fan. Wonder if she watches it on dvd, hmmm?
18 August 2010, 09:56 AM
xenacrazed
Haven't seen XWP since last post. i is still watchin Twin Peaks. Yummy Audrey Horne makes xc Horne-y. Buts i only has a couple months of Twin Peaks eps left so i may watch a few Xenas before movin on to somthing else.

where is everyone, hmmm? Ame, thought ya was gonna watch & report back?
24 August 2010, 04:38 PM
MinionOfCallisto
Twin Peaks was/is an adorable series. Those quirky characters there are pure David Lynch and probably did a lot for moder TV series. Not even touching the technical parts. And the openening soundtrack still manages to thrill me. Not that I don't have my contemporary "poison" to watch on TV, but some series you always come back to in one way or another.

"Now, do we stake out Gabrielle like the sacrificial lamb she is, or are we to trust that she won't be running?"
(Callisto, XWP:ANE)
25 August 2010, 09:38 PM
Amethyst
yes, yes i was

i have 2 eps left of 90210 :P

and then i will certainly start xena Big Grin

26 August 2010, 10:49 PM
xenacrazed
quote:
Originally posted by MinionOfCallisto:
Twin Peaks was/is an adorable series. Those quirky characters there are pure David Lynch and probably did a lot for moder TV series. Not even touching the technical parts. And the openening soundtrack still manages to thrill me. Not that I don't have my contemporary "poison" to watch on TV, but some series you always come back to in one way or another.

It's too bad they had to cancel it the way they did and with a major cliffhanger! i'd like to see David Lynch & maybe HBO or SHO redo Twin Peaks. And this time, either pick up where it left off (though actors are 20 yrs older) or redo it with new cast. i wanna know what happens to Cooper & Annie! Here's a Twin Peaks Message Board that's fun to read.
26 August 2010, 10:50 PM
xenacrazed
quote:
yes, yes i was

i have 2 eps left of 90210 :P

and then i will certainly start xena Big Grin

Kewl! i'll be waitin for yer reports! Smile
26 August 2010, 11:14 PM
Amethyst
i'll start on sunday. as tomorrow (saturday) is a very busy day.

i'll try and post about them one at a time like u did, maybe even jot down things i think so i remember to write about things..lol

29 August 2010, 05:22 AM
MinionOfCallisto
Just started a DVD rerun of my oh-so-beloved Farscape, what else are rainy weekends good for? Big Grin

And tbh, easier doable than the full X:WP rerun. That many seasons lead to having forgotten about S1 when you reach no. 6... >.>

"Now, do we stake out Gabrielle like the sacrificial lamb she is, or are we to trust that she won't be running?"
11 September 2010, 12:20 AM
xenacrazed
Just a few eps of Twin Peaks left for me to watch.

Ted Raimi was in tonite's eps though briefly. He plays a heavy metal kid who is the "pawn" of bad guy Windom Earle. Imagine Joxer as a heavy metal beer lovin dude in the early '90s and that's who he played on Twin Peaks. It's too bad that Twin Peaks lore didn't get a Xena treatment. What if instead of the Fallen Angel silliness, that after X&G were crucified, their souls went to the Black Lodge. OOoooOOO! "That nutbread you used to like is coming back in style."
26 September 2010, 12:09 AM
xenacrazed
Finished Twin Peaks. me thinks i'll watch some Xena again & then move on to the Avengers or maybe the Addams Family.
26 September 2010, 11:01 PM
Amethyst
i still haven't got around to starting

i'll try and do sins of the past,maybe tonight.

hmm

01 October 2010, 05:44 PM
xenacrazed
"There are currently 1 member(s) and 4 guest(s) on the forums."

who are these 4 guest & why ain't they postin?
i betcha they's chicken! *flaps arms neath armpits & cackles like chickens* Chicken scrollers! Chicken scrollers! Hidin their chicken beaks in baby strollers!

*ahem*

anyhoo, i plan on watchin future Xena eps soon. Like "Xena Scrolls" and "Deja Vu All Over Again". Maybe also the two season 6 future eps.

Edited to add:
"There are currently 1 member(s) and 6
guest(s) on the forums."

Two more of yuns are here! i sees ya!
EYE SEES YOU!
Get postin or else, or else, well, i might just break down and cry... Frown
02 October 2010, 12:43 AM
xenacrazed
i watched them future eps tonite. i always liked that they did these kind of stories. It opened up possibilities that sadly were not used enough or expanded upon except in fan fiction.

Future lives, reincarnations, descendants: cool stuff! i believes LL & ROC have outgrown their roles as X&G but not as X&G in the future. Me thinks it'd be awesome if they had a cop show with LL & ROC as detectives & other cast members in reoccurring roles either mirroring or the opposite of their past lives. Then make a new XWP show with a new cast yay! ah to dream.

"Xena Scrolls": loved the story, the characters & the ending. The cartoon gun play was a bit sillyish & the monster movie clips were el cheapo. Being a season 2 ep makes it more fun than the sad state of affairs had it been filmed in season 6 with flashbacks of violent Gabby inserted. Great ep whose main characters deserved a shot at a 2nd appearance. ah well...

"Deja Vu All Over Again": also loved the story, the characters & the ending. Too many clips. That's the bad thing bout future eps- one clip is ok but c'mon, people get the point it's past lives or whatever. They should have given us more substance in plot & story and less clips. How about a pure dramatic future ep? That woulda been nice. The constant returning to the past while the bomb was ticking down seemed silly. They never explained what was & what wasn't a memory compared to a scene from a Xena ep, as the show existed in the world of "Deja Vu". If only they showed the characters remembering something that was new, not shown before in a clip.

Anyhoo, great eps.
04 October 2010, 08:47 PM
Amethyst
I just can't motivate myself to watch xena, i don't know why

maybe once i watch 1, i'll be inclined to watch the rest :P

05 October 2010, 01:32 PM
MinionOfCallisto
Prolly same issue with future Eps as with the theorethical "Xena Movie". The market ain't there any more IMHO. So any expansion on the "old" H:TLJ and X:WP "model" is rather unlikely, I'd say.

I mean, look at what we got in terms of SciFi/Fantasy TV series currently. Majority is rather SF than Fantasy. Last "big" fantasy series, incidentally a Tapert/Raimi flick as well, "Legend of the Seeker" got axed pretty quickly after 2 seasons only. And I don'T even blame the Mad Twilight Disease (TM) for atht development...

05 October 2010, 09:17 PM
Amethyst
thank god i never caught the mad twilight disease :P

am i also the only one who thinks a xena movie without lucy and renee, may as well not even bother getting made?

07 October 2010, 06:03 PM
xenacrazed
quote:
I just can't motivate myself to watch xena, i don't know why

maybe once i watch 1, i'll be inclined to watch the rest :P

i can understand that. It took me a couple failed attempts to watch it all the way through. The first time i wasn't ready, just not in the mood for Xena. The 2nd time, i couldn't get passed stoopid season 5 return to chin crap. If it hadn't been for this thread & postin my anger at season 5 & TPTB, i would never have made it all the way through the series on attempt #3.

maybe if ya started with your favorite eps. That'd be a beginning.