Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Amphipolis Tidings  Hop To Forums  Xena    Watching Xena Again
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 

Moderators: lila997

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Watching Xena Again
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Well i do have one more ep to watch of season 4.

Maybe i'll watch eps by theme next time thru.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Deja Vu All Over Again"

well this should have been the final ep of Xena, ever, IMO. Too bad there weren't 2 seasons left of consistently great shows.

what'll i watch of season 5?

Don't care for "Fallen Angel" but maybe i watch it. Then "Succession". That'll end season 5. ha ha.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Fallen Angel"

Hadn't really planned on watching this but did. Wherein XWP jumps the shark or flies over the shark wearing wings.

Would have been more interesting had X&G ended up in Tartarus or Amazon Land of the Dead. They could've at least questioned why they were where they were instead of being so resigned to it.

i don't buy Callisto's "conversion". Never did never will. She is evil to the core. Would've been better had the conversion been a trick by her master to get her to heaven. That would've been a better storyline than the Twilight nonsense.

Michael was wrong about converted Callisto being who she would have been had Xena not killed Callisto's fam. Callisto was mentally ill, a psycho-path just needing the right push. She didn't have to kill others in avenging her fam's death. She was evil beyond the need for revenge.

So Callisto's raping Xena was ok? Hmmm.

Would've been better if neither Eli nor Callisto had anything to do with resurrecting X&G.

Amarice was wrong about Gabby's "warrior" ways. She was never a warrior. Just a bard who stood up for herself & others though without killing. That's why i never bought her warrior ways with "Chakram", a terrible EP.

In keeping this in character, Gabby should have had much inner conflict about killing the Roman soldiers along with the way of love change, the crucifixion and forgiving Callisto. i think all this would have had her leave Xena to reflect. Not become a mindless Xenabot, Xena Jr, assistant Xena...whatever. What happened to Gabby post-"Chakram" was a fate worse than death. Had she left Xena for several EPs, it would have made sense & we could have seen how Xena would have reacted. Maybe they could have eliminated the need for pregnant Xena & that repulsive Eve bullsh#t.

i'll be watching "Succession" next. Then on to what's ok from season 6.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Succession"

This is my fave ep of season 5. But still i'd rate it about a 5.5/10 when feeling generous. It often has the feel of a season 3 ep.

i like the tribute to "Ladyhawk" movie.

Then there's Boobican. Nice eye candy.

Still i didn't like that Gabby might have killed Boobican. i don't buy Gabby's change to a Xena Jr.

Now it's on to season 6.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Hmmmm taking week off from Xena to decide what S6 eps to watch. There might be 8 eps to see, maybe more but not much.

Be nice if somebuddy else would watch Xena & post here...

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Who's Gurkham"

Season 6 begins here. Well ep 4 of S6 but screw the 1st 3 eps. This one was ok. More eye candy than substance. Gabby still a cold hearted witch
& yucky Eve was around. i dunno, Gurkham didn't seem much of a villain, he didn't have much to say.

Next up is the Ring trilogy.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The Reingold"

Alrighties. Love the Ring trilogy. Why? Cuz it's the most old school Xena/Gabby eps in S6.

Always wondered where Xena got her chakram as she has it when she first meets Odin. But where between Chin & Norway did she get it?

Too many Hildas. But i love Brunhilda. And the Rhine maidens. Especially the red headed one.

Beowulf is a good character. Odin can be annoying but okay.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The Ring"

Great mid-trilogy offering.

Not sure i get why both Brunhilda & Beowulf were so into Gabby. By this time she's way past bright & innocent and more violent as time goes on. If this was a pre-5th season arc then i'd understand. Gabby's a pale version of her old self here, she's basically Xena Jr or Assistant Xena. She doesn't say much anymore & when she does it's nothing that makes her special nor sets her apart from Xena. So i don't get the love-in from the Norwegians.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The Return of the Valkyrie"

THE best ep of S6. Too bad they didn't end the show here. Then there wouldn't be no Fiend in Need nonsense.

i liked Xena as Denmark queen Wealthea. Loved seeing long haired Gabby again who seemed much less a bitch after gettin a good year's sleep ha ha. She seemed more her old self & smiled a lot.

Not sure what ep i watch next. Have to check my notes on previous pages of this thread.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xenacrazed:
"The God You Know"

Mixed feelings here but overall an okay ep. Glad to see Michael get his due, wished Xena would have killed him. Happy to see Xena lose the god killing powers as it also showed Eli to be bit of a backstabber, eh? Useless Eve again! Too bad they didn't off her, she's about as dumb as Varia. The previous 2 Ares eps were unnecessary, they could have accomplished all the post-immortal Ares stuff in this ep. Glad to see Dite again. X&G were great in the ep. If not for whiney Eve it would have been a better ep.

Quoting myself from early April 2010. Ah better days most definitely *sigh*

well i pretty much agree with my opinion from over 3 yrs ago. Gettin Calig-ugly to kill himself was tricky & probably would never had happened had it not been set up to advance the plot along.

i also couldn't see selfish Ares risking mortal death to save Aphrodite.

No comment was made about why Eli backstabbed Xena. If he's watching from above -is he?- he should have trusted Xena. Here, once again, why is Eve necessary beyond advancing the plot?

Gabrielle came off less violent & i liked that. Still she should have done more than danced for Caligu-ugh.

i suppose "You Are There" will be next.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xenacrazed:
"You Are There"

i been looking forward to seeing this again. But it was more meh than i remembered it. So Xena restores Ares & Dite god-hoods as the world needs love, and war to balance things. But doesn't the Elites believe that you don't need Greek gods for anything? The reporter thing was less funny this time around. i'd rather have seen the characters talk to the camera/audience without the reporter.

well i still didn't care for the reporter in this. If the characters were pretending they had an audience and was talkin to them, that'd be better.

The parts with Eve, pompous Michael & Lucifer added nothing to the story. Plus how was Caligula going to Tartarus since 1)he was Roman & 2) Hades is dead?

The plot about X&G's relationship was predictable as per the ending. The best part about this ep for me was the inclusion of the Norse characters.

Next up: "Send in the Clones"

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Send in the Clones"

The premise of this ep sucked: Alti brings back X&G to make Xena evil to discredit the image of the reformed Xena on a tv show! Just proves how poor the storywriting had become with seasons 5 & 6. Plus it added to the fact that Alti was a easily defeatable foe.

Of all the future based eps, my fave is "Xena Scrolls" cause most of the ep has nothing to do with fandom or being based on the tv show, unlike "Deja Vu All Over Again", this ep & "Soul Possession". i wish all these future eps had stories that were not based on fandom or the existence of the show itself. Future eps where ppl don't know who X&G is cuz there is no tv show based on discovered scrolls.

Still, considering how bad the final 2 seasons are, this ep was ok.

Next up: "When Fates Collide" - what should have been the series finale.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"When Fates Collide"

Said it before & i say it again: this should have been the series finale.

Only things that would have improved it would be to maybe stretch out the story to a 2 hr or 2 part ep. i would have Gabby toss her sais away, grab a staff & wanna be a bard again. yay!

Next up: "Many Happy Returns"

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Many Happy Returns"

i keep forgetting about this ep. When watching it, i had no idea what was gonna happen next. i seen this ep maybe 4 times now but never remember much about it though i do like it.

Best comedy or lite ep of the last 2 seasons by a mile. This for me could also be the series finale tho i prefer "When Fates Collide".

i wonder what Katie Stuart looks like today. She has to be what, nearly 30 now.

A good fun ep. Rare for S6.

One more ep to go: "Soul Possession"

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Soul Possession"

Never bought that Gabby would trade her soul to Ares to save Hope. Didn't make sense. i can see Ares saving Gabby as a bargaining chip or to call in another favor.

i still don't like future eps where ppl know all about Xena. It takes the mystery out of having X&G appear in the future to do their own thing without stoopid fandom taking center stage.

So ends my Xena watching for awhile. Maybe next year i'll start again & maybe this time try to make it thru all the eps. That may be too hard once S5 & S6 come round.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
It's been 5 months since i last watched Xena.

i'm still watching Beauty & Beast on dvd, the original show.

i'm missing Xena. Hope to start again late spring.

Just wanted to post here so that the Xena forum don't get all dusty.

Scroll Obsessive
posted Hide Post
I just happened to find this list on IMDb:

Tv Shows (past)

It rates Xena @ 6.7 !?!?!

That ALL !!!??Since most people who rate stuff on there tend to be fans of a genre if not that exact show/movie Im mighty surprised.

Here's the rating of some junk...Umm Shows

Charmed..... = 7.0
Buffy ..... 8.2
Angel{Gag.....}8.1
BevHillbillys..7.2 That wasnt even good when I was a kid & had no taste or options
Dukes/Hazzrd...7.1 !!??!! This was mind numbingly stupid & Awful..I think there was 1 plot used over & over again,no??
Birds of Prey ..6.6 Jeebus this was a Stinker..Dina Meyer was the ONLY one who could act..
Reaper..........7.9 Its nearly unwatchable & Missy peregrym is the ONLY worthwhile thing @ it.
Heroes..........7.8 WoW this show was SO annoying I had High hopes for it & it Continually disappointed me...
Seinfeld........9.0 This show was SO annoying I have never sat thru an entire ep...about 10 minutes is all I can take.

I have tried to stic just to shows I have seen myself..
I know alot of this is up to personal taste ...but None of these is better than Xena & most of them are way way lesser.

SO all I can say is this.
Ive upped my viewing standards America...So UP YOURS!!!!

Posts: 1408 | Location: USA | Registered: 12 April 2013Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i'll bet seasons 5 & 6 is why Xena got such a low score.

But still...Barffy? Dukes of Hazard????

i hated Seinfeld, never saw most of the others but Beverly Hillbillies were good for a few seasons, mostly the B&W eps.

Warrior Scroller
Picture of Discord Man
posted Hide Post
I tend to enjoy season 5 and 6 of Xena when I am in the mood for them. The ring trilogy is highly entertaining, but doesn't feel like I am watching Xena: Warrior Princess. It feels like a long, but decent movie with the same two leads.

Succession is my favorite season 5 episode these days, and anything with Adrienne in it, I tend to enjoy quite a bit. I haven't watched Lyre Lyre in so long, I want to go back and rewatch it so I remember the reason why. I feel it was corny, as those songs were just terrible for the most part.

As far as the ratings go, a lot of people have this thing where they try to be hip and be against this nostalgia 90s wave that is going on right now. Truth is, TV hit a high point then as we got much more fulfilling and enjoyable stories.

------------------------

www.youtube.com/discordman

Posts: 305 | Location: Fort Smith AR | Registered: 09 July 2005Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
The Ring trilogy is the best thing about the last season. And i agree Succession is the best S5 ep.

But i could never get into Eve/Livia. Not Adrienne's fault, i never liked the whole preggers Xena/Twilight of the Gods story. IMO it was rude & selfish of Robby Tapert to include his wife's pregnancy in the show & let it- above common sense & a sense of character & character development- dictate how the series proceeded.

But that said, since 2015 is the 20th anniversary of the show debut, i'm gonna try to watch the series in its entirety next year. Hopefully i can make it thru S5 without getting sick!

Warrior Scroller
Picture of Discord Man
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I kind of agree in some areas, though I liked Motherhood and Eve/Livia well enough.

Loved Callisto finding that peace, wish they would have stopped with the hugging scene though as she didn't need to carry on afterwards.

------------------------

www.youtube.com/discordman

Posts: 305 | Location: Fort Smith AR | Registered: 09 July 2005Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Ya know i never trusted angel Callisto. i always thought she was evil to the core & mentally ill from the get go. When season 5 was on, i always hoped that Callisto's angelic change was a plot to infiltrate heaven & destroy it. That would have been more fitting to her character. i just never bought her change.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Xena watching update:

Or rather soon-to-be-watching update:

i have finished old Beauty & Beast on dvd. Now it's on to Twin Peaks which should be done by late late this year or early next year.

Then start Xena in 2015- the 20th anniversary of the start of the show. i am excited bout this. Hope we can get others* to see the show again next year.

*others = gettin ppl back here off their lazy net butts instead of chattin elsewhere cuz THIS is the only scrolls that counts not some social netwerk place that's just a flash in the pan.

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Free Madness
posted Hide Post
I bought the dvd's of Xena's Season 1 and 2 and have to find time to watch it all, lol. I started watching some, and saw the first "Ares" episode--weird, but cool! I do love me some Ares. Big Grin

Gabriel was so much cooler at the start of the show....

Lucy Lawless, as usual is HOTTTTT! Big Grin

Anyways--okay okay on with the cleaning. Roll Eyes Big Grin

"Even when you're down and blue, just remember that someone out there loves you, even if you don't know it and even if you haven't yet met them. There's someone out there waiting for you, remember that and keep faith. You'll get there."
~~Johnny Depp.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Dreamland | Registered: 06 April 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i wish i had waited to buy the Xena dvds.

So much cheaper now tho w/o the interviews.