Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Amphipolis Tidings  Hop To Forums  Xena    Lucy On Celebrity Duets
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: lila997

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Lucy On Celebrity Duets
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Thanks to Tivo I was able to fast forward through most everyone's performances after Lucy and still manage the recap so I was spared the majority of the pain. What I did see, you're right- it was pretty awful.
Wonder if this is how Ebert and Roeper get through all those bad movies that they have to review? Wink

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
first the Stevie Nicks song...now the Gabs-a-go-go knock-off...me thinks someone in production is a Xenite, or someone is consciously throwing in some XWP tidbits to rally the Xenites,or something. it's just too coincidental.

in any case, Lucy was way better last night.

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

sometimes, you just have to say 'what the f...'

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller
Picture of TheMadMonk
posted Hide Post
i saw it last night and i think everyone one was better last week than this week..i also think, lucy was better last week too.i didn't like the choice of song she sang with kenny..She should have picked another song..

Posts: 25 | Location: Balancing on top of the board.. | Registered: 09 September 2006Report This Post
Scroller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cold comfort:
first the Stevie Nicks song...now the Gabs-a-go-go knock-off...me thinks someone in production is a Xenite, or someone is consciously throwing in some XWP tidbits to rally the Xenites,or something. it's just too coincidental.
in any case, Lucy was way better last night.

I didn't know whether to take you seriously about the Gabs-a-go-go outfit (I had to work last night and didn't get home until way after the show), but I found a Aussie site that had the video clip you could download. To give you an idea of how pathetic our slow ass dial up is, it took me almost THREE HOURS to download the 3 MINUTE clip, but man, it was worth it!

And yes, I think she is getting better. She even said she thinks she's on the up swing of the learning curve. I especially liked the bit before the performance where they showed her and Kenny rehearsing and she did that one little bit and then made a face and said something like "that was AWFUL" at the same time Kenny was saying something like "that's IT!" and then she was like, "Oh, that's the way you WANT it?" Too funny. (She really is a blonde, isn't she?)

Speaking of my slow ass dial up . . .does anyone have any personal experience with DirecWay (now HughesNet)? We're thinking about switching (it's our only alternative out here in the boonies), but everything I've found on line seems to say it's not worth the price, it's unreliable, not as fast as they say, etc. We're just so desparate, it's hard not to consider it. Does anyone know anyone who's actually used it who might have an opinion?

Posts: 25 | Location: Just southwest of Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 11 February 2006Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lila997:
Sing it with me, folks!

"Now, there you go again, you say you want burritos.
I'm sure that you can keep 'em down.
It's only a flour tortilla, used to wrap around your meat now.
Have you any beans you'd like to share ..."

No? How about...

"You placed an order, I wrote it down.
Three enchiladas, the best in town.
Then I saw my reflection in a big pile of nachos.
The landslide brought in down."

How long has it been since I told you how much I love you?

Too long!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
My play by play (I just got home so I am watching on TIVO delay)...

Show starts ..blah blah...Wayne Brady (yay!)...intro the judges blah blah blah...

And again, Lucy opens the show... it's a duet with a female. Lucy is nervous (she says in the interviewette) Why? It's with DIONNE WARWICK! Shawn!! Did you watch??
They sing "I Say a Little Prayer" and Lucy did just fine. Also, she wore a pretty dress. Just sayin'.
She finishes and an audience member screams "I love you Lucy!". Might be a scroller. I may recognize that voice from a Xena convention. Wink Oh and there are Xena signs in the audience. Heh.
Judges: Marie hates her. I kinda hate Marie. Little Richard errr, ummmm, maybe he liked her...maybe not...who knows what he said but I think it rhymed. David Foster liked her and pointed out that she's had the most diverse genres to tackle of all of the contestants. And, bless his heart, gave actual useful criticism/advice about her high harmonies.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Quick round up of some of the other contestants...
Alfonso Ribero has laryngitis(sp?). Oh no. What a tragedy. All is sober in the interviewette. He sings anyway (Duet with Denise Williams. "Too Much Too Little Too Late". Yeah, sort of prophetic. Marie actually ignores his voice and criticizes his dance moves. Ha! Love that! I still hate Marie though.

Carly Patterson says "her girls" are going to be jealous that she got to sing with this singer. Carly has "girls"? Like her kids? Isn't she about 16? Okay she is singing/screeching and is so excited that she screeches the name of the other singer. I need to rewind to see that it is... Jesse McCartney. it's confirmed. Carly's "girls" are her fellow 16 year old friends. Carly is thrilled to be singing this duet. Cute. And now that her life is complete, she can go home happy. Preferably tomorrow night.

Hal Sparks is paired with a "rock icon" and he intends to do it "his way". I know it ain't Frank Sinatra dueting from beyond the grave, Wayne, so do tell. Oh it's Dennis DeYoung from Styx. Wow. Have not thought of him in a decade. He still has a voice and ...holy crap! There are pyrotechnics! Sparks, even. Sorry, bad pun.
It's a fun duet I think, I mostly heard since I typed through it. Judges: complete opposite of Lucy's critique. Marie loves him. David hates him. Little Richard almost word-for-word recycles the same gibberish he said to Lucy. I kid you not.

Cheech speaks a little Spanish and then sings a slightly-less-painful-than-his-usual-painful duet with AARON NEVILLE! (sorry, felt like he deserved caps like Dionne) "Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone". Okayyyy...I don't think it was so much a duet. Did Aaron Neville sing? All the judges hate him (Cheech, not Aaron). Even Little Richard (who I understood??!?).

Jai thought this would be easy. Not so much, he says. Ooh, lots of energy from Jai. Duet is with Taylor Dayne. He kind of sings to her breasts while she mugs for the camera but ya know, I don't hate it. I now have "Tell It To My Heart" as an earworm. Thanks, Jai. Roll Eyes Judges think his voice is okay but Marie focuses on criticizing his moves.

Dear Marie,
Dancing With The Stars is on Wednesday nights and So You Think You Can Dance wrapped last month. Get over it.
lila997

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lila997,

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Just went back and rewatched Lucy's performance and critique.
  • As far as the performance, she was clearly psyched to be singing w/ Dionne and was little giggly but kept it together well. I'd have been doing the same thing (but with a BAD voice).
  • The audience sign read "WE WANT A XENA MOVIE!". Camera focused on it repeatedly and it was stratigically placed behind the judges. Hmmmm...
  • Little Richard transcript (roughly): "I love Lucy." "You are the Kool-Aid Girl." "You have rhythm now get blues." And then something that sounded dirty but was merely the title of a song.

Besotted Scroller
Picture of beauTifully tragic
posted Hide Post
missed the show (was it on the same time as survivor?)
awesome review lila Big Grin

Posts: 2723 | Location: la la land | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tammysammy:
missed the show (was it on the same time as survivor?)
awesome review lila Big Grin

Nope it was on Fox at 9pm.

Besotted Scroller
Picture of beauTifully tragic
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2723 | Location: la la land | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
the "we want a Xena movie" sign was up even after the next performer. while i too would like to see a well done X:WP movie which may very well just be a personal fantasy and not in any way remotely possible but i still would like to see it, i....eeee....enough with the sign. it's just kinda...desperate? i dunno. it made me wince.

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Disciple
Picture of Brian
posted Hide Post
hey i missed her again... dammit.

aren't we supposed to vote? what's Lucy's number?

Posts: 207 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
she was #1, right?

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

Scroller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lila997: Quick round up of some of the other contestants...
Alfonso Ribero has laryngitis(sp?). Oh no. What a tragedy. All is sober in the interviewette. He sings anyway (Duet with Denise Williams. "Too Much Too Little Too Late". Yeah, sort of prophetic. Marie actually ignores his voice and criticizes his dance moves. Ha! Love that! I still hate Marie though. lila997

Ditto on the Loved that, still hate Marie comment. I also loved that during the pre-song interview Ribero was talking about being sick and his throat hurting, blah, blah, and after his performance I believe the ONLY thing David Foster had to say to him was he didn't ever want to hear him whining about being sick, that he'd seen Celine Dionne go on with a 105 fever and something about another singer and not to ever complain about being sick again. I loved THAT too. ('cuz at heart I'm a mean little lesbian! evil Gotta be hard to take when the only person who talks about your singing is Little Richard and who the hell really knows what he says or means anyway!

Did anyone see the sign in the audience that said "Foster - Australian for Mean" Big Grin Kinda enjoyed that too, although truth be told I'd take 3 David Fosters if we could just get rid of Marie.

Posts: 25 | Location: Just southwest of Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 11 February 2006Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
actually, there's something oddly comforting in seeing Marie Osmond as the total bitch she's become. it's nice to know there's a little taint in all that toothy smiley Osmond goodness...

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

Scroller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian:
hey i missed her again... dammit.

aren't we supposed to vote? what's Lucy's number?

I think the polls are closed, but don't worry, we got you covered. After last week we realized that thanks to our antiquated dial up we have TWO phone lines, so this week we unplugged the computer, plugged in another phone, and each spent 2 hours hitting redial. We figure we logged between 700 and 1000 votes between the two of us. Eek We have no shame. Roll Eyes

Scroller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cold comfort:
actually, there's something oddly comforting in seeing that Marie Osmond as the total bitch she's become. it's nice to know there's a little taint in all that toothy smiley Osmond goodness...

Hmmmm. Personally, I can't help wondering what the toothy, smiley Osmond is really thinking about the woman who starred in a show that had such a huge and devoted lesbian following.

Which reminds me, there was another sign too, that said "Mean Marie"!

I also wonder if the judges (or even the contestants) are privy to how many votes each one is getting, or even who's in the #1 spot, #2, etc. Or do they, like us, just get to hear who the bottom 3 are.

From Jai's interview, thought, it definitely sounds like whatever song they perform is preselected for them. I thought maybe the celebrity and the non-singing celebrity got to pick the son they'd perform. I'd still like to know the exact process that pairs them up and how the song is picked. Curious minds want to know!

Oh! I know what I was going to say. No one's mentioned that Lucy did a mini version of the Xena's war cry (or whatever we call that). It was after Little Richard said whatever it was he said to her, she did that little sound he makes, and then followed it with a quick Xena yell.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
I missed the other signs and the Xena yell. I was not watching too intently partially due to trying to recap and partially becuase it's kinda painful to watch.

Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
DIONNE!
Dionne!
DIONNE!!!!! Ha, loved it! I was singing my little heart out lila! I couldn't help but remeber Arista and Tam cutting our little Dionne sing-a-long short. We had only gotten to the gas station for Pete's sake Frown

I really can't stand Jai, but I LOVE Taylor Dayne. And I think Hal and Dennis ROCKED! Dennis sounded awesome.

I am a huge Aaron Nevil fan, but I wasn't too impressed. I agree, it was hard to hear him much of the time and I don't think his voice went well with Cheech's at all.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CottonMouth:
I am a huge Aaron Nevil fan, but I wasn't too impressed. I agree, it was hard to hear him much of the time and I don't think his voice went well with Cheech's at all.

Does anyone's? Razz

Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
his brothers'...

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Quick update of the first 45 minutes.
Carly and Cheech are in the bottom 3.
A bunch of others are safe.
It's down to Lucy and Hal for the last spot in the bottom 3.
Commercial.

Be back when it is over.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Hal is in the bottom 3.
The "twist" was that the other person is the top vote getter.
Lucy got the most votes. Surprise, Surprise.

Okay...Cheech is safe (Whaaaa?)

Another *&&$%^# commercial.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Carly is going home.