Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Amphipolis Tidings  Hop To Forums  Xena    Lucy On Celebrity Duets
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: lila997

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Lucy On Celebrity Duets
 Login/Join 
Scroller
Picture of TheMadMonk
posted Hide Post
Well, i saw the show last nigt and tonite and as usual lucy ROCKED!!Go lucy!You go girl..!It was cool sseing all the posters supporting her and the show after all this time..Xena fans rock..!!The other contestants don't know what they got into..LOL As for marie, i was surprised she had a bitchy side to her..I guess miss perfect ain't so perfect..LOL

Posts: 25 | Location: Balancing on top of the board.. | Registered: 09 September 2006Report This Post
Scroller
posted Hide Post
Tonight they're eliminating the bottom TWO vote getters and they said next week (when they're down to three singers) it will be the finale. Hmmm. Me thinks this show hasn't been the ratings hit they expected and now they're just tryting to get it off the air ASAP. In any event, Jai sang first tonight with Patti LaBelle (my God, do they really expect us to think that pairing was "random"?). Lucy was next and sang with Richard Marx. The song - well, sorry, I'm horrible with titles. "Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you". She did a lovely job, and she looked absolutely gorgeous! Beyond gorgeous, actually, and the judges all had very complimentary things to say.

If you'd like to vote (starting at 9:00 central, 10:00 eastern), the number is 1-866-903-8382. Again, it's a toll free number so there's no charge to call as often as you want. Let's keep Lucy in the #1 spot again this week.

Also, if anyone has missed any of the shows, you can download video clips of all of Lucy's performances at http://www.lucylawless.info/index.php.

Posts: 25 | Location: Just southwest of Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 11 February 2006Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recap and the phone number, Ticketbndr. I decided to forgo watching CD live in favor of CSI tonight. Still copied it for the Aussie Posse though so I will watch this weekend.
I suspect that your theory about the reasons for speeding up the duration of the show is correct. New fall season just started. It's tough out there- and expensive for networks- if the show is not pulling the numbers to compete.

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

SCROLLER AND
INSTIGATOR OF
THE MONTH

Scroller and Instigator

posted Hide Post
if you want something amusing to read, go read the forums on the shows website.

ppl are pissed off that jai went and are calling lucy a slut for the way she dressed (i have no idea what she was wearing) and saying she can't sing... and then we have the xena fans jumping in and its almost a free for all if you can find the right thread..lol

http://forums.fox.com/foxcelebduets

i'm amethystwp Big Grin

Posts: 4830 | Location: Michelle @ work | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

SCROLLER AND
INSTIGATOR OF
THE MONTH

Scroller and Instigator

posted Hide Post
for those who love lucy, but know good singing, is jai as good as everyone is going on about? or did alot of ppl just like him? cause they shoulda voted then eh?

Posts: 4830 | Location: Michelle @ work | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Disciple
Picture of Brian
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit worried about Lucy. It seems like the show is skewed against her a bit.

I can't say that with total conviction because I don't know how the stars are paired or who picks the songs. Hal Sparks gets his rocker friends and gets his raucous numbers complete with special ramps and heavy light show. Everyone else... walk out and sing. If the pairings are random he's had an incredible run of luck.

My concern for Lucy is that she's been singing the same middle of the road pop stuff for the past few contests. If I could chose for her, I'd get a Broadway star to pair up and sing a heartfelt, emotion-laden strong number. The dramatic quality plays to her strength. She shouldn't try to raw rock or dance, but she could tell the story of song. Imagine her singing the Gods Love Nubia or some such.

Alfonso does his peppy run and dash and jump stuff, Hal of course gets the rock tour treatment, Lucy comes out and sings some rather tepid numbers, frankly.

I've also wondered about the show's fan base. Does anyone else find it odd that the other females were booted right away? The Xenaverse has kept our beloved Warrior in the limelight, but with one week left I'm afraid there's going to be a man v. woman thing going on. At least Lucy's feminine support won't be split, the way Alfonso and Hal will be fighting for the pro-man crowd.

My favorite part of the entire series is when the contestants all line up and Lucy towers over them. Last night especially because she was wearing rocker boots with big heels. Four men putting on their cool and manly looks, and then Lucy appears a whole blonde-tressed head above them.

I miss the dark look on her. The blonde just doesn't work for me as much.

Oooops... I guess there's some real life going on around here. I best get back to earth.

Jai got screwed royally by getting Patti Labelle in such a critical week. If you've followed Patti's career, there's no such thing as a duet. She's going to take off and wail and soar those high notes whether it's to the benefit of the greater good or not. More than once she has gotten the bitch diva evil eye from singing partners because she sings with the idea that everyone should shut up and listen to her. Last night was typical Labelle. Jai is fighting for survival and she sings 4/5ths of the song and makes all the noise while her "duet" partner has to stand by and watch.

Next week I guess I'll have to vote on both phones, the house and the cell. Double up for our Princess. Maybe I'll use my wife's cell too.

Posts: 207 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian:
I'm a bit worried about Lucy. It seems like the show is skewed against her a bit . . .
Hal Sparks gets his rocker friends and gets his raucous numbers complete with special ramps and heavy light show. Everyone else... walk out and sing. If the pairings are random he's had an incredible run of luck.

God, yes! I feel the same way, and I would love for just once for someone to have explained exactly how the pairings are selected AND how and by whom the songs are selected. I know the one week they showed - I think it was Lucy, opening the envelope where they find out who they're going to be singing with and as she was looking at it saying something like "is that the competition song?" so I guess they don't get any input on that either. I know after she sang on the 3rd show, Foster made some comment about how she's had to sing more genres on there than anyone else (the implication being that she'd had the more difficult time because of it), but I'm not convinced that's true. Seems like as Brian said, she gets these . . . well, not "lame" but very middle of the road songs with no bells and whistles like the rest do (like shows, etc.). I think her best moment was when she got to sing (non competition song - it was on a Friday reveal ep) "Footloose" with Kenny Loggins.

I just keep reminding myself she seems to be having fun and that's what counts. And hopefully she's getting enough votes to know how much we all appreciate her!

Hey, did anyone catch the shot they had this past Thursday of her daughter Daisy in the audience? How old is she now, 18? 19? Thereabouts? She looks a LOT like her mother (I thought). Too bad she's not into acting. They could do a Xena "prequel" and cast her in her mom's role.

Posts: 25 | Location: Just southwest of Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 11 February 2006Report This Post
Scroll Disciple
Picture of Brian
posted Hide Post
And it's not just the songs. Hal Sparks had backup singers. Wtf??

Oh well. I'm hoping the power of the Xenaverse is exerted and she reigns supreme.

Posts: 207 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller
posted Hide Post
Alrighty! Lucy's first to sing this week again! In black leather pants yet. And the song is . . . Total Eclipse of the Heart!! WITH Bonnie Tyler. OMG. Lucy totally rocks. Okay, this was definitely my favorite performance of hers so far. Let's see what the judges have to say.

Marie told her she was here because she's great and quoted something her mother used to tell her about birds only picking on the choisest scraps or something like that (one of those if I pick on you it's only becuase I know what your capable of kind of things). Then said she noticed Lucy tended to fade off at the end of her phrasing like she was running out of air and if she'd work on that, she would be great.

Little Richard actually spoke English and said he she sounded much better than she'd sounded before and that he did see some of what Marie had mentioned, but that she had definitely gotten better since he first heard her and she did great.

And David Foster said as usual he was trying to listen and not watch (Heh. Your loss, buddy Big Grin) and that he really liked the little growly thing she did with her voice. (Yeah, me too. blush)

Next Alfonso sang with John Secada. Marie said (again) "you're here becuase your great" (at least she didn't repeat the bird comment). She told him "but the next time I hear you sing words like "I want to hold you close" I want to believe it". Richard told him he did feel it (in his toe again. What is it with him and his damn toe?) and said he was the one to watch. Foster said he always complained that they (the contestants) didn't sing in "his world" but that tonight Alfonso did sing in his world and "you're the one to beat."

Jai's next. Let's see if Marie tells him "You're here because you're great."

After Jai, Lucy will sing again. They all got to pick one person they'd sung with during the series and invitet them back, so the next one will be of her choosing. (Oh, God, what I wouldn't give for her to have picked Bonnie Tyler . . .)

Scroller
posted Hide Post
Did I say Jai was next? I'm sorry, my bad. Jai's gone. It's Hal who's still here. And guess what? Hal got a heavy metal singer again. Gee. What a shock-a-roo. It's . . . Sebastian Boch? Never heard of him. Hal, I love you, but tonight you pretty much suck. Or maybe it's the music. I just don't do heavy metal.

Marie tells him he's very true to himself, so high five for that.

Richard said my grandma didn't holler that loud when she was hollerin' for the cows to come in.

Foster told him you know how I feel. You do have a real voice and I wish you'd use it more.

Voting doesn't start until 9:00 (10:00 eastern) and the number for Lucy is 1 866 903 8381.

CALL. Call and keep calling! 2 hours. Hit redial. It's free and Lucy's worth it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ticketbndr,

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Oh good. Glad someone is recapping. I opted for CSI while Duets tapes in the other room for the Aussie Posse.
Can someone please post Lucy's voting # here after the show?

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Oh and Sebastian Bach was the lead singer for the 80's band Skid Row.

Kind of a wanker, IMO. People who wear political statements on t shirts should sorta know what they are saying and know if they mean it.

Scroller
posted Hide Post
Okay, I just typed a recap of the last 10 minutes and my stupid dial up connection lost it and I HATE DIAL UP. I'm not going to try to redo it all. I'll just say Lucy picked Smokey Robinson to sing with again (Take Me to the Moon) and she obviously had a wonderful time. I'd ready earlier she came on the show hoping for only one thing, a chance to sing with Smokey Robinson. And now she has - twice. So I'm trying to be happy for her and not thing WHY DIDN'T YOU PICK BONNIE TYLER?!?! *sigh*

VOTE FOR LUCY. Vote a lot. It's free. And it's for Lucy. 1 866 903 8381

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Just watched the tape of the the first performances. At least Lucy got background singers (albeit LOUD ones). She gor stage effects too. Is a fan a stage effect?
Her vocals with Bonnie Tyler were well matched. Best so far.

Based on Ticketbndr's above post I don't think I can watch the Smokey show. Want to go to bed on a high note. But first I will vote. Wink

Scroll Disciple
Picture of Brian
posted Hide Post
I was in a doctor's office installing a computer network until 1am and MISSED THE WHOLE THING!!!

Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
The only thing I could think of while watching was - FINALLY!!!! She sang! I'm sorry folks but I didn't think she had done all that well throughout. About 50/50 - with good performances with Smokey and Dionne, but tonight - she was fraking awesome!!!! It's like she'd been scared to sing up until now. Way to go Lucy, finally let it go and enjoyed herself and it really showed. And who didn't spend a large portion of the 80's cranking that song up everytime it came on the radio.

And I know this is totally tacky, but did her boobs look bigger last night? They have been putting her in some sassy little outfits, but that dress she had on when she sang with Smokey was very... flattering. All pwaise the wonder bwa.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
It's the finale. They did a group sing. Now they are doing solo performances (not duets) Lucy is doing her number in a go-go costume on a go-go set with go-go dancers and, most especially, go-go hair. Fun!
Wayne wants to know what is on Lucy's mind. She thanked her "old fans" (that's us.Hey! I beg your pardon, Lucy..I'm not old. You're a few months older than me, actually! Wink) for being faithful as well as her "new fans" for being, ummm...new?
Commercials ad nauseum.
Obviously they are going to stretch out this winner thing till the final minute of the show so I am going to go do some laundry and return in about 20 minutes....

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
I lied. I am back. Couldn't resist. Laundry will wait for the next commercial break.

Boys(Boyz?)To(2?)Men
are performing. Heh. Remember them?

I half expect Alfonso/Carlton(who, by the way, I kinda think is going to win in about 23 minutes) to step out and join them in their song but he doesn't.

Ooh, it's a BoysBoyzTo2Men MEDLEY.

Wayne likes them. Earlier he said that many babies, including his own, were conceived to Boys(z)To(2)Men songs. TMI, Wayne.
T.
M.
I.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lila997,

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Alfonso/Carlton sings 'Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me' and he's good solo. Also, I really like Elton John. Just had to share.
Alfonso/Carlton has something to say. This show has been "the best experience of (his) life".
Seriously, Alfonso. That's just sad.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Little vignette about the judges focusing on Marie Osmond and David Foster.
They fake fight a lot and generally hate each other.
Also, David Foster has a potty mouth. Go Foster!

The final 3 sing with David Foster on piano and, well, ummmm... remember "Married With Fishsticks"? Yeah, kinda like that.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
After that anti-masterpiece we get to find out who is the first of the 3 to be eliminated. And Lucy is safe.

I'm guessing that Hal is not safe.

And...I'm right.

Down to Alfonso/Carlton vs Lucy.

Commercial.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Time to crown a champ.
Lots of screams for , errr, maybe Lucy? It's all unintelligible but it's all women so i am guessing the screams are for Lucy. Wink
No really, I dunno.

Hey, Little Richard is not there. Anyone know why? I missed the first 10 minutes due to a local news special report.

Okay America has spoken.
The champion is...
Alfonso/Carlton.

I knew it.
Just sayin'.
Razz

Scroller
posted Hide Post
I know . . . we're all a little disappointed. Even as Mel and I spent 2 solid hours voting with redial afer Thursday's show, I knew that Alfonso was going to win. And admittedly, he was good. Whether or not the show (song/singer selection) was rigged, or whether he was just really lucky, he got to sing to his strengths and did a really good job. Unfortunately I could care less about him and I adore Lucy and damn it, I wanted her to win!!!! But some of the songs were just not the best choices for showing off her voice. I'm sure singing live on TV has to be different than singing on XWP, where it's recorded and you probably get a dozen chances to do it and redo it to get it "perfect", but I've seen her sing elsewhere and know even off the cuff she can do better. I mean, has anyone seen the clips from Regis & Kathlee Lee (a planned performance of "Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby?") or the spontaneous one on Rosie (she said she always thought someone with a name like Lawless should sing a cowboy song and when Rosie told her to go for it she started singing "I'm an Old Cowhand." It was great and she was so cute!). I think her song with Bonnie Tyler on Thursday was the best on this show, at least until Friday night anyway. I almost fell off my chair and she did my whole I-don't-get-into-blondes thing right out the freakin' window.

I read this morning on another site that Rob said her final song (Tell Momma) was her tribute to her fans, because apparently Lucy had some t-shirts out (I guess on her own fan site?) that say "Who's Your Momma?". (Why did I never know about these t-shirts?!?!) So that was sweet. And win or not, I'll always have the memory of her kicking over the mike stand. Big Grin Oh my god. That one song was worth the whole painful series.

It always blows my mind though, watching her on something like this, whether it's her singing or her talking afterward, how hard it is to "see Xena" in her, if you know what I mean. Even if you've seen her behind the scenes interviews on the DVD collection, you look at her and realize that Xena was TOTALLY acting on her part. One thing's for sure, no one will ever be able to say she can't act and "only plays herself" (Like some so called"superstars" who I won't bother to name do all the time.)

Scroller
posted Hide Post
And I would like to say, I appreciate Lila and Brian being here this week. I know, I have not room to talk because I hardly ever find the time or internet access to visit the old neighborhood anymore, but I really thought this would be a chance for everyone to kind of show up again and have something new to talk about, especially as she got closer and made it into the finale. I love all you guys, even the ones I don't know. Hokey, but true. I guess like they say, you can't go home again. *sigh*

I think I'm going to go listen to "This Used to Be My Playground" . . .

Scroll Stalker
Picture of XF3
posted Hide Post
If I had to pick any body to win other than Lucy it wouldn't have been Alfonzo just because I can't stand him. But I was happy to seey Lucy in second.

-----------------------------
My Space

Posts: 1644 | Location: Blue skies....Michigan | Registered: 24 March 2005Report This Post