Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Amphipolis Tidings  Hop To Forums  Xena    Double Dare- with Lucy Lawless stunt double

Moderators: lila997

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Double Dare- with Lucy Lawless stunt double
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

posted
Got this description from Rotten Tomatoes and the dvd pic from amazon.com. The dvd comes out June 7. Never heard of this before. Anyone seen it at a theatre? Rotten Tomatoes rated it at 95% positive reviews, pertty darn good. Think i'll order me a copy at Deepdiscountdvd, less i hear something strongly negative against it.

From Rotten Tomatoes:

"Double Dare explores the lives of two women at drastically different crossroads; one, a grandmother, struggling against the aging process and the invisibility of older women in Hollywood, the other, a young woman, brash and unaware of the history that has preceded her in a male-dominated industry. We have chosen Jeannie and Zoë as characters because they set up dichotomies of young/old and past/present--between which lie the experiences of so many women defining their own identities in a culture plagued by gender stereotypes. Duality is an important theme in the film; Wonder Woman and Xena are doubles for each other, and Jeannie and Zoë are doubles for them, doubles for each other, and doubles for the average woman who struggles to maintain a family and a career against the race of time.

The film also investigates the complex theme of women and power. The female action-hero is a rare but revealing icon in our popular culture. Wonder Woman and Xena are the busty Amazon embodiments of female power in a cinematic world that usually offers up women as victims or sidekicks. But while throngs of fans focus their attention on the stars who create these personas, it is the stuntwoman that breathes life into them by animating their physical forms. How do Wonder Woman and Xena embody the contradictions of female power in our culture, and how has it changed in thirty years? Are Jeannie and Zoë "real-life" action-heroes, or are they overpowered by Hollywood stereotypes, career pressures, vanity, and cultural double-standards? In many ways, these stuntwomen's lives are an extreme metaphor for the challenges that all women face.

The film develops chronologically, using Jeannie as a link to the past and the history of female action icons. The camera follows her in her daily life as she struggles to keep working past sixty and managing a grassroots organization of stuntwomen.

Meanwhile, Zoë is working on the set of Xena in its final days in New Zealand. When Xena goes off the air, Zoë's future is a complete unknown and her world is turned upside-down. When she decides to leave her family and move overseas, Jeannie becomes her mentor and they struggle to survive the industry together."

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
I have heard about this film (there were some downloadable shorts about it online when it first came out) and it seemed very interesting.

If you enjoy it I might try to get my own copy.

~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Obsessive
Picture of KSena
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a nice movie. Would be nice to see the stuntwomen that you never see the faces off really... Let us now what you think, eh...? Smile

<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>

My LiveJournal: A look inside KSenas mind...

Posts: 1120 | Location: Borås in Sweden | Registered: 30 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Bride:
I have heard about this film (there were some downloadable shorts about it online when it first came out) and it seemed very interesting.

If you enjoy it I might try to get my own copy.

You'll want to get it, Argy... you and Ares are in it!
The U.S. DVD has tons of extras and among the special feature interviews are many familiar fan faces including an interview with "Bruna & Hilda" from Oz. Hee hee.

Actually, I'd recommend the DVD to any fan of the show. The doc itself was quite interesting and the special features are loaded with tons of behind the scenes Xena footage. I'm very impressed with how much of her own fighting Renee did.

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Ah, I was wondering what happened to that stupid interview. Roll Eyes

~~~~~~~~~~

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Just watched the MTV Movie Awards and guess who accompanied Quentin Tarantino & Darryl Hannah to the stage to accept the award for Best Fight? Zoe Bell! (she was Uma Thurman's stunt double in Kill Bill 1 and 2) Good for her!

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
That was an awesome fight (just see my current Scroll sig pic!)

I was watching for Zoe in a lot of the Kill Bills. Good for her! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i finally saw this tonite (yes, i'm lazy) and really loved it. This is definately worth owning the dvd, many cool extras.

I saw Argy & Ares! Yay! Though i half expected Argy to say something like, "What if i wanna mention my Xena board while you're interviewing me? What if i wanna say hidee to all my gabris fam clan round the world? What if I also wonder who's watchin the scrolls & makin sure xc ain't messing stuff up?" Well, if Argy gets on another Xena documentary, i "double dare" ya to say them what if's! Smile

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post