Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Amphipolis Tidings  Hop To Forums  Xena    Xena: 20th Anniversary!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 21

Moderators: lila997

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Xena: 20th Anniversary!!!
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

posted
2015 is the 20th anniversary of Xena: Warrior Princess!

Here we (please don't let me talk to myself) will discuss the show again!

So if ya'all haven't got the vhs's or dvd's yet- get 'em or borrow 'em or rent 'em or whatevuh.

Come January i'm watchin again & discussin the show here- rights here!

yay!

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Xena watchin should begin next weekend for me.

Anyone else?

i am startin with the Herc trilogy or Xena trilogy or whatevuh.

This time round gonna rate the EPs on a scale of 1-10 plus pick the best & worst thing about each EP.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Hercules "Warrior Princess"

i first saw this back in the late spring/early summer of '95. No idea that Xena would have her own series. i like the ep more now. Can't fault them on too many weaknesses or mistakes in the canon history as who would've thought she would have her own show after seeing this one ep?

Best: a decent start for Xena; there's enuff mystery surrounding her to warrant her return plus Lawless did a good job in her portrayal.

Worst: well the plot to kill Herc after he killed Iolaus cuz he'd be disoriented was silly & Xena should know her men were no match for Herc (this makes her look like a poor leader).

Rating: 7 (dialogue was too stilted)

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Free Madness
posted Hide Post
I gotta get back to my Xena watchin...

I got Season 1 and 2 awhiles ago and started to watch Season 1, then got distracted, prolly by a bunch of nonsense concerning Ex...Razz

That's all done and ovah now yay! Big Grin

So there ain't no excuse not to start fresh with Season 1--so long as I schedule it accordingly with my Johnny movie-watchin...Big Grin

I do always enjoy that very first ep, "Sins of the Past." That was back when Gabrielle was so cool and funny--I didn't like much when she was all about the Way of Love.(Was that Season 4 or 5? I fuhget...) Anyway, bleh. Eli was ok but--remember that "smoke" technique Gabs would use on the attackers? Roll Eyes Puh-lease. I liked it better when she took back her warrior stance. Big Grin

"Even when you're down and blue, just remember that someone out there loves you, even if you don't know it and even if you haven't yet met them. There's someone out there waiting for you, remember that and keep faith. You'll get there."
~~Johnny Depp.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Dreamland | Registered: 06 April 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i love "Sins of the Past". Probably gonna see it in a few weeks after i finish the Xena/Herc trilogy.

i never liked Gabby as a warrior. i liked her best peaceful but defending herself like in 1st 3 seasons. i liked the yin-yang of X&G where Xena was the warrior & Gabby the bard.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Hercules "The Gauntlet"

Pt 2 of the Xena/Herc trilogy

Best: About 3/4 of this ep was ok. Too bad it didn't stay on course.

Worst: Dialogue often silly, Salmoneous pointless. Didn't buy Xena's conversion. i think she would have kept on being bad. Made no sense for her change.

Rating: 4.5

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Hercules "Unchained Heart"

Pt 3 of the Xena/Herc trilogy

Bleeeech! i knew this was bad but forgot how awful.

Best: Xena's hairstyle

Worst: Xena's lovey-dovey-ness. Poorly written ep, bad dialogue, Salmoneous. Why didn't Hercules tell Xena to turn herself in for her crimes? Not much law back then, yep, & little to no sense of moral justice.

Rating: 1.5

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i'm finished watchin the Xena/Herc trilogy now & soon will be on season 1.

Anyone else gonna watch? Hmmm?

The trilogy was only good when it showed evil Xena. The writers just didn't know how to write a transition from bad to good. It shouldn't have been so quick nor so lovey-dovey. Plus i saw no point in Salmoneous. This should have been a powerful dramatic event but the writers were so incompetent they had to throw in some comedy nonsense to divert attention from their poor writing skills!

Anyhoo, on to season 1 next time.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Xena Season 1

"Sins of the Past"

The best debut ep of any tv show ever. No lovey-dovey Xena carried over from Herc.

Best: Xena's early redemption era change shows her raw & new to this conversion.

Love the introduction of Gabrielle & Cyrene; Xena's return to Amphipolis; her fight with Draco; the bond with her late brother; the self-digust at the very beginning of the ep.

Worst: nothing

Rating: 10

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Chariots of War"

Gabrielle befriends a warlord's son while injured Xena stays with fam victim of warlord.

An ok ep, nothing special.

Best: For some reason i like chariot races-battles

Worst: Xena becomes too chummy with her Brady Bunch & lets slip a line about having a family someday maybe settling down. Um, no, stoopid line.

Rating: 7

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Dreamworker"

Xena enters the dreamscape to insure Gabrielle's blood innocence. An ep that could never have happened in S5 or 6 as Gabrielle would just kill for the fun of it *sigh*. So much then for 'wisdom before weapons' as Gabrielle forgot when she lost her wisdom at the end of S4.

Best: Gabrielle keeps her blood innocence

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Cradle of Hope"

King Gregor, Pandora, tossed baby- classic early Xena.

Best: Great mix of humor & drama & adventure. Great storytelling.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The Path Not Taken"

A little more of Xena's past revealed in the first of two Marcus eps.

Best: Xena's change is still new & a part of rumors; Gabrielle still so peaceful & in her villager dress

Worst: too much lovey-dovey with Marcus

Rating: 9

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The Reckoning"

First appearance by Ares on the show as Gabrielle defends Xena on trial.

Best: Subdued debut of Ares; Gabrielle as a lawyer

Worst: nothing, maybe Gabrielle shouldn't have thought Xena would fight farmers

Rating: 9.5

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The Titans"

Gabrielle frees three Titans who fight among themselves as well as don't like puny humans.

Best: Gabrielle, the non-violent bard; Xena's mischievous laugh as she stays good

Worst: Nothing worth mentioning

Rating: 9.5

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Prometheus"

Prometheus is chained up & Xena has to free him though Hercules thinks it's all up to him to do so.

Best: Scenes without Hercules & Iolaus. Should have just been Xena & Gabrielle.

Worst: Lovey-dovey scenes in the 2nd half.

Rating: 7

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Death in Chains"

King Sisyphus captures Celesta, so Xena to the rescue.

Best: Xena still going it alone at times; Gabrielle has ditched the peasant dress for short sleeves & she showing some legs ooooeeee!

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Hooves and Harlots"

X&G meet the Amazons.

Best: Foxy Amazon chicks; best Amazon ever is introduced- Ephiny

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The Black Wolf"

Xena gets thrown in dungeon to smoke out the Black Wolf & save a friend.

Best: Overlooked "old fashioned" Xena classic before the melodrama settled in; nice humor with Gabrielle & Salmoneous

Worst: Nothing

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Beware Greeks Bearing Gifts"

X&G & Perdicus vs Greeks for Helen of Troy.

Best: Actress playing Helen is a babe; Xena laughing as she fights; Perdicus has more common sense than most in this episode.

Worst: Gabrielle fighting & beating trained Greek soldiers going into Troy? i don't think so. Xena should've left her elsewhere.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Athens City Academy of the Performing Bards"

A mostly Gabrielle, comedy-clip episode where she goes to bard school.

Best: The clips of X&G; the emphasis on Gabrielle as a bard

Worst: Gabrielle should have gone to the bard academy in the final episode. The plot was wasted here on a comedy-clip show filled with cliches & generic writing.

Rating: 6

This message has been edited. Last edited by: xenacrazed,

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Okee, so i changed my rating for the above ep from 5 to 6. So sue me!

i like Gabbie as a bard, hate her as a "warrior bard". As far as i'm concerned, when she died at the end of S4 and Eli "resurrected" her, it was not the same Gabbie who died. It was some Xena Jr Gab-zombie brainless heartless bitch. The Athens City ep would have been amazing in S5 amongst all that Twilight/Eve nonsense but also impossible since Gabbie was nothin more than a robot.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"A Fistful of Dinars"

X&G, an assassin & a warlord hunt for Sumerian treasure.

Best: Great self-contained story; More of Xena's past revealed; Gabrielle gets hotter

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Over half-way thru season one.

It's better than i thought, so far.

Maybe i should have started at the end of the series & worked myself back.

Going in this order is bound to spoil me!

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Not much known about Xena at this pouint in S1.

She turned warrior cuz someone attacked her village. But why bad? Why stay bad? Then on a lame Herc EP she turned good.

We've met allies & enemies from her past & heard a little about her family.

But next to nil bout what makes her tick.

Next: thoughts on Gabrielle