Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Amphipolis Tidings  Hop To Forums  Xena    Xena: 20th Anniversary!!!
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 21

Moderators: lila997

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Xena: 20th Anniversary!!!
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The Execution"

Arbus: “You know _my_ reputation as well, then. Just as I know
yours, Xena.”

Xens: “I guess formal introductions are out.”

Arbus: “I’d heard you’d changed your ways, looking to amend your past. All well and good; but I could still call you to judgment for past crimes. But not without proper evidence and
witnesses-- That’s the law.”

Hmmm interesting bit there. i always hoped the series would end with Xena on trial for past crimes. That she would be found guilty- but that her punishment would be to continue helping ppl with her warrior ways til she couldn't possibly go no further.

Too bad the finale was a rip-off cowardly suicide that served & helped no-one.

more later...

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The Execution"

The story would've been more interesting if Xena hadn't killed the guy Meleager was accused of killing. Of course, saving Meleager was a big focal point so it wouldn't've done to have him hang for a murder he didn't commit.

But had he killed him- it might be a lesson for Xena as to what fate she might get if she's ever called to trial. Of course that does happen but her victim is both alive & nearby! What a cop-out!

If Arbus had had Meleager framed- now that would be interesting. A trial for Arbus with discussion on law & order at that time and also how it pertained to Xena's redemption path. Might have made a nice 2 pt ep!

More later...

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The Execution"

Was this a beginning for the Rift? i think it may be though maybe you could trace it back to "Return of Callisto" in what may have seemed like Xena's poor reaction time to Callisto right before she killed Perdicus.

Xena didn't trust Gabrielle's judgement of Meleager, a trust she usually held. Gabrielle standing up to Xena was something we hadn't seen much of or with this intensity since the Callisto return ep.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Blind Faith"

Xena goes blind & must hunt for a kidnapped Gabrielle.

Best: Gabrielle's boobs!; chemistry between Xena & Palaemon; wisecracks at Gabrielle's expense; story made the best of a simple tale

Worst: the lead character blindness thing was such a tired cliche even in the mid '90s; Xena's blindness wasn't always convincing

Redemption score: 5- discussed between Xena & Palaemon

X&G ying/yang score: 8.5, above normal

Greater good comment: Xena saves Gabrielle from being cremated & turns Palaemon's life around

Diversity score: 4.5, not much here

Rating: 8.5

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Blind Faith"

This was a pretty simple, self-contained ep that turned out better than it was to be expected, me thinks. i mean, ya had the lead character goes blind cliche plus Gabrielle was chosen as a bride who was set to die (we'd seen this before in the 3rd ep of season 1).

The acting -i suppose- made the ordinary into better than that. Still i didn't buy that Xena was always blind especially in the fight scenes. They could have improved on that.

more later...

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Blind Faith"

My fave part of this was Gabrielle in the outfit that highlighted her boobs. Wowser!

Could they have made this ep a story if Xena weren't blind? i dunno. The Palaemon story was tailored to fit so what if they changed him to some other kinda person? i dunno. If they made it more complex maybe it would lose the appeal it had. Guess i should just enjoy a simple ep like this instead of thinkin bout changing it.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Ulysses"

Xena helps Ulysses return to Ithica.

Best: Poseidon; the Sirens; Gabrielle at sea; Penelope; Xena helps bend the bow

Worst: the sea voyage wasn't that dangerous; too much mush between Xena & Ulysses where the redemption issue was overshadowed

Redemption score: 0, nothing here

X&G ying/yang score: 8, nice & average

Greater good comment: Xena saves Ulysses from Sirens & helps him regain kingdom from pirates but doesn't give in to mush

Diversity score: 8, pretty diverse with gods, kings, comedy, high seas, mush, etc

Rating: 8

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Ulysses"

Or "Useless" as it was called round here yrs ago. Well the character seems to have aged better with time, at least to me. He had his flaws, mostly given by TPTB to make subtexters mad as he came between Xena and Gabrielle. But romance on the show was- to me- a crutch it didn't need.

Xena shouldn't've pulled that bow- that was just silly. And Ulysses shouldn't've been such a fanboy to Xena. That was silly. It went against his character from earlier on.

Plus Xena- at this point- was still vocally on the redemption path and so her & him wouldn't've worked, even if he tagged along which would've been silly.

more later...

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Ulysses"

Didn't seem like Poseidon did much to stop Ulysses
from reaching Ithaca. Why didn't he just tip over the boat & drown them? Oh right, end of series.

The sirens part was pretty good. i would have like to have seen more of Penelope & Ithaca. But oh well.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The Price"

Xena & Athenian army vs the Horde.

Best: Story, direction & cinematography; the Xena ying/yang at it's max thus far; kaltaka

Worst: Mercer should have went north- might have had more interesting results

Redemption score: 1, hinted at but not much here

X&G ying/yang score: 10, record high thus far, this ep accents the differences

Greater good comment: Xena saves who she can & her actions bring about a truce; Gabrielle helps save lives in the hsopice

Diversity score: 5

Rating: 10

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The Price"

How do the Horde survive in Greece without being seen or known by more ppl? How can there be so many tribes & whatnot as we've seem in Xena in Greece? i guess in those days it must've been pretty unsettled or else Xena is traveling in more areas than just Greece and we're not told so.

The 4th season Horde seem to be a different clan & in a different area. But with the Horde, the Amazons, centaurs, giants, other tribes of religious folks- it would seem Greece was pretty diverse and that many groups stayed hidden.

more later...

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The Price"

This ep seems to foreshadow the big differences between Xena and Gabrielle that take hold in season 4. It didn't take much for Xena to lose herself in war & violence & cold-heartedness while Gabrielle's peace-nik thing dipped into naivety. But this is what i love about the show! The yin/yang thingie!

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Only 2 eps of season 2 left.

i still gotta finish diversity scores, too.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Lost Mariner"

Xena and Gabrielle help Cecrops defeat the curse on him.

Best: Great story & acting; Xena triumphed without spilling blood; Cecrops didn't give in to Poseidon

Worst: Gabrielle's sea-sickness thing getting old

Redemption score: 0, nothing here though it should have been mentioned to Cecrops

X&G ying/yang score: 7, less than average as Xena was not in her warrior mode much

Greater good comment: Both Xen and Gabrielle should get credit for breaking Cecrops' curse which meant freeing him & the others

Diversity score: 7

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Lost Mariner"

This should have followed Ulysses, it would've made more sense with Xena & Gabrielle on the ship at the beginning. Although Xena said they were picked up by the ship that was attacked by the pirates. Seems pretty far from The Price setting.

What exactly were the pirates' story who were chasing Xena at the beginning? Was Xena wanted for past crimes when the leader- Basculis- said to capture her for Mordecai? We never learn who or what Mordecai is.

This is basically all the action we get in this ep with Xena fighting others.

More later...

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Lost Mariner"

Cecrops' story about the first citizen was pretty interesting. Too bad they didn't show it in flashbacks. Tony Todd is a fine actor & it would've been great if he'd been on the show again, either as Cecrops ot someone else.

Gabrielle's sea sickness- enuff of that. We get it. Make her more useful! Um yeah too late for that.

more later...

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Lost Mariner"

This ep had a great ending with the beach scene with Xena, Gabrielle, Cecrops and others from the ship.

i dunno why excellent self-contained eps like this were so rare in the show. They needed more writers and better writers. When the show got off on story arcs, things didn't always work out, especially when they tried to take tired plots & characters (ie Callisto, Eve, the Twilight of the Gods, Dahok, etc) & wring 'em dry.

TPTB never thought far enuff ahead to realize they would get into situations that would end up stupid & drive viewers away. But thankfully we have plenty of good-great eps before season 5 came along.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"A Comedy of Eros"

Xena and Gabrielle- among others- are struck by Cupid's arrows from Bliss while trying to protect Hestian virgins.

Best: Final scene between Xena & Joxer; Draco changing for the love of Gabrielle; Hestian virgins!

Worst: From this ep, too many people got the wrong idea that Gabrielle & Joxer should be together; it was a one-gag ep that didn't expand on the gag when it had a chance

Redemption score: 1, mentioned in passing

X&G ying/yang score: 5.5, low because of the love arrow gag

Greater good comment: keeping Draco in love with Gabrielle probably stopped his warlotd ways for awhile

Diversity score: 7

Rating: 7 (though i should make it 6.5)

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"A Comedy of Eros"

Here's the ep that caused all the misconception that Gabrielle and Joxer should be a couple- romantic couple. Blah!

i hate romance on the show!

Gabrielle has not much in common with Joxer. She's about growth, he's not. He has more in common with Xena, truth be told.

The ending scene with Xena is sad but Xena should level with Joxer that Meg is more his style as he eventually marries Meg.

oh well

more later...

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"A Comedy of Eros"

Overall it was a good comedy but still a waste of what might have been a better drama. i don't know why but nowadays i prefer XWP as a drama much more than comedy or even adventure.

Nothing was revealed about Xena's past. Imagine it as a drama with blood and more heartbreak and mysteries brought up. Something against the grain which this ep isn't.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Season 3 dvd starts tonite!

i still have to do this-

1) tally up the season 2 scpres

2) before i do that i gotta finish the diversity scores

yikes!

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Orphan of War - 5.5
Remember Nothing - 6
The Giant Killer -6
Girls Just Wanna Have Fun -6.5

Will finish the remaining diversity scores soonage...

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Xena Season Three

"The Furies"

The Furies set persecution and madness upon Xena.

Best: The comedy done dramatically (this would have worked good with 'Comedy of Eros'); Darien Takle excellent as Cyrene; Gabrielle done good helping Xena; the mystery of who was Xena's father; Tisiphone, the hot Fury

Worst: Blond Fury with southern accent was kinda annoying

Redemption score: 1, yeah not much here but i'll be kind

X&G ying/yang score: 8, the usual

Greater good comment: Gabrielle saves Cyrene and helps Xena; not sure how much mad Xena was and how much was still sane but she didn't murder anyone

Diversity score: 7.5

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Finishing up the diversity scores-

Return of Callisto -6
Warrior...Princess...Tramp -5.5
Intimate Stranger -7
Ten Little Warlords -7

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The Furies"

So is Ares Xena's pop? Maybe. Maybe not.

Is it better to have Xena as half-goddess rather than all human? Maybe. Maybe not.

With god blood in her, i don't think it would make her any less a heroine. It would add irony to the fact that she hates asking gods for help. Also add to the fact that she brought about their doom- much as i hated the Twilight arc.

Xena fighting and/or coming to terms with a godhood background would be interesting. But i'd prefer that Hades were her papa. Erik Thomson played the part very well (i hated his replacement who was a whiney ass coward). Xena kinda resembled the original Hades, so that might have worked. i dunno. Maybe Ares was gonna seduce Cyrene, and for whatever reason, Hades stopped him & took his place. Maybe it was foreseen that Xena would end up sending a lotta ppl to Hades, so...

more later...