Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Amphipolis Tidings  Hop To Forums  Xena    Xena: 20th Anniversary!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21

Moderators: lila997

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Xena: 20th Anniversary!!!
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i'll discuss the above ep more later but i's tired now.

okee?

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Well this time round has to be the best viewing of season 1. i think talkin bout it here makes it that way. Too bad no-one else is watchin after 20 yrs.

Can season 2 beat season 1's high ep rating (IMO) of 9.4? i dunno. i'll be surprised id the redemption score is beat tho the yin/yang score might get beat.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xenacrazed:
Xena Season Two

"Orphan of War"

So Xena only made it to Kaleipus' village after ten yrs when the Ixion stone is about to be found. Not to see her son.

He could have been dead & she wouldn't have even known, unless Kaleipus sent word.

i think she should have known that going there would put him at risk, what with Dagnine after the Ixion stone. Xena was putting heart ahead of head.

more later

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Xena Season Two

"Orphan of War"

This ep was really a send-up for introducing Borias. i don't recall if Borias gets mentioned again before "The Debt" eps.

TPTB get Xena's family introduced early on in the series. i think that waa good though it was unnecessary & redundant about either killing them off or duplicating Xena.

The Alti curse on Solan seemed like a last minute gap filler to take pressure off Gabrielle during & after the rift. It would have been equally interesting if Xena had known about the curse but never told Gabrielle or even if she did. Would things have turned out differently in "Maternal Instincts"?

more later...

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Xena Season Two

"Orphan of War"

Rating: 8.5

8.5 is kinda low compared to most eps of season 1. i rated it lower cause the whole Xena-Solan story/relationship bugs me. In some ways it felt forced. In many ways it felt predictable.

XW-P was a typical '90s show with a flow that seldom altered. If the show was done now or better yet, re-done now, then i bet the flow & storytelling style would be different & better.

Maybe i'm nit-picking but really there were no surprises after the initial announcement that Xena had a son before the opening credits. Not that it has to have surprises but something was missing. It seemed inevitable that Solan was doomed in some future ep. That shouldn't have been that easy to figure out.

more later...

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Remember Nothing"

The Fates let Xena experience an alt-reality where she never used the sword.

Best: It was only one possible alt-reality so it didn't matter anyway

Worst: So what's the moral?- that being a mass murderess is okay- i don't think so. There are plenty alt-realities where the outcome would have been good as i don't buy that "It's A Wonderful Life" alt-reality doom-n-gloom crap.

Redemption score: 0 i "remember nothing' redemption-wise about this ep beyond a wish for the boy who attacked Xena to be alive

X&G ying/yang score: Reality: 8, normal; alt-reality: 2, kinda flip-flopped in a way

Greater good comment: Xena ultimately saved the boy she killed attacking her by going through the whole Fates scenario thing

Rating: 7

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Remember Nothing"

At the very beginning, Gabrielle has her peasant girl outfit on. Then soon afterwards she has her BGSB & midi-dress thing on. What gives?

Xena & Gabrielle mourn that the person Xena killed-who was out to kill people in the shrine- was just a boy. But so what? Was he brainwashed into being a killer or would-be killer? Did his age make him any less guilty? No. Better him killed than the innocent people he was after.

Most of all- why is Lyceus, Xena's beloved brother, entombed in a temple of the Fates? Especially when Xena hates the Olympian gods. Is there some significence to him being in a Fates' temple- as opposed to any other god?

more later...

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Remember Nothing"

The worst thing about this ep was TPTB's intent that had Xena not picked up a sword, that things would be just as bad for her- her village threatened, Gabrielle a slave, her mom killed or whatever.

i don't buy it. There are many alternate realities to choose from. i say more than likely in more scenarios that things would be much better without her being a mass murderess.

i don't see Gabrielle as a slave. Where's Draco? He wanted Potedaia for his own. They would have supplied his army maybe.

i rated this ep lower cuz i don't like TPTB's version of alt reality.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Giant Killer"

Xena helps David & the Israelites against her friend Goliath.

Best: i like the Old Testament eps; Xena's friendship with Goliath; Gabrielle risked her neck to save David

Worst: nothing

Redemption score: 2, not much here but recognition of Xena's change by both sides

X&G ying/yang score: 8.5, consistent with season 1's average score

Greater good comment: Xena fought against her friend who was on the wrong side of the fight; Gabrielle almost lost her head to save someone she just met

Rating: 9

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Giant Killer"

This seemed like a season 1 ep. It would have been interesting to see an ep where Xena & Goliath fought Gareth. Maybe a buncha giants involved in the battle.

Is Gabrielle lookin for quickies on the road? ha ha Yeah on that time travelin road in Ancient Greece. Niow if they'd put me in the show then i woulda made her the 1st xc wife.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"

Xena & Gabrielle help Orpheus against the Bacchae.

Best: hot Bacchae chicks; the music; cinematography; Xena & Gabrielle as Bacchae

Worst: story was too thin & too light; they never explained how Gabrielle became a Bacchae & why Xena didn't become one after the first bite

Redemption score: .5, only if you count the favor Xena did Orpheus for failing to save his wife

X&G ying/yang score: 8, consistent again

Greater good comment: Xena saves Joxer & Gabrielle & a bunch of hot village girls & gets Orpheus back his body; Did they kill Bacchus? Not sure.

Rating: 8

This message has been edited. Last edited by: xenacrazed,

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post

Not sure why they brought back Joxer for this ep. It would have been better as a drama/musical without him. i'm not anti-Joxer i just wanna have drama eps fun!

i'd much rather see flashbacks where Xena & Orpheus is fighting Bacchus. Dunno why they wouldn't show that, it'd be more interesting than silly Joxer antics.

More later...

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post

i love vampires, especially hot female vampires. i wish there had been more focus on the fem vamps than tryin to kill them.

This ep could have had a sequel with a Van Hesling-type character who tries to save the fem vamps before stakin them.

Or maybe have a couple hot village chicks who are slowly turnin into Bacchae. Then Xena has to help them. Make it a more personal story ep from the viewpoint of the fem vamps.

more later...

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post

Good music in this ep without digging up tired old classic rock. World music & free jazz fits Xena more than classic rock. Or else original songs like in Bitter Suite.

Good cinematography, too. So all in all this ep was better for the senses than for diggin deeper into the characters & for a deep plot.

That's ok sometimes i guess. It's still a better ep than any ep in season 5 imo.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Return of Callisto"

Callisto escapes from prison and sets her sights on Gabrielle who has married Perdicus.

Best: The chariot race; Joxer helps in Xena's escape from Callisto; Xena prays for Gabrielle's sake; Xena exacts revenge & punishment by letting Callisto go down in the quicksand

Worst: Callisto in prison instead of on the gallows; Xena's slow reaction before, when & after Perdicus was killed

Redemption score: .5, it really wasn't an issue here though it could have been brought up.

X&G ying/yang score: 7, i was gonna rate it lower but Gabrielle's change was natural due to the circumstances about Perdicus

Greater good comment: Xena & Gabrielle help save ppl from Callisto & her army; Joxer helps save Xena; Xena doesn't save Callisto in the quicksand (though i guess this is up for debate)

Rating: 9

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Return of Callisto"

Never understood why Callisto was in prison instead of being hung or beheaded. She must've got those days' equivalent of the death penalty. Even Shark Island would have made more sense. That is, assuming she had her trial. But i imagine in them days they got speedy trials.

This ep should have ended the Callisto story. Afterwards they seemed to be scrapping the bottom of the barrel, tryin to make interesting stories with the character. That said, there are issues in other Callisto eps they could have touched upon, such as Xena's public declaration of fault in scaring Callisto (though i contest that Xena made Callisto evil as i think Callisto is mentally ill/evil on her own).

There are types of Xena's victims we have either not seen or seen enough, such as a victim who recovered & isn't bitter or one who is intent on trying Xena in court for all her crimes or someone who became a fighter for the greater good after Xena attacked their village.

The Callisto story became tiring & boring to me & i often wished TPTB would just move on to something else. Guess they're not doing so showed a big lack of creativity on their part storywise which, of course, became evident with season 5.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Return of Callisto"

Joxer actually was useful this time round. He distracted Callisto so that Xena could get her chakram back & save herself & Gabrielle.

i'm not sure why Joxer rolled his eyes a few times after it was thought Gabrielle had left for home, and he & Xena were watching Callisto's hideout. His speech to Xena seemed to say he thought Xena didn't like him & that Xena thought he didn't care for Gabrielle & that he thought little of Xena's plan to get Callisto. But nothing in her actions proved Joxer right. So i dunno why the rolled eyes, it seemed outta place.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Return of Callisto"

Gabrielle's "i do" to Perdicus seemed even hasty for her. But i guess his pacifist ways got to her. i think it has a lot to do with her spiritual quest later on.

Imagine what would Xena do had Gabrielle stayed married? Would she eventually revert to her evil ways? Hmmmm

Xena got to where Callisto was gonna harm Gabrielle & Perdicus really quick. But her reaction time to Callisto was really slow. Why not kill Callisto or stop her from killing Perdicus by using her chakram?

i guess we'll never know if Xena deliberately let Perdicus die but by the expression on her face i would say she did.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Warrior...Princess...Tramp"

Xena, Diana and Meg in more comedy mayhem.

Best: That Xena & Gabrielle were apart at the beginning as in season 1 eps; the humor was okay, not too silly as in future eps; Meg is my fave of the Xena lookalikes

Worst: Probably not right following life changing "Return of Callisto" with a comedy; even worse is that this isn't the last of the lookalike comedies; too much Joxer

Redemption score: 0. nothing here

X&G ying/yang score: 8, though not much here as Gabrielle didn't have much of a role

Greater good comment: Xena saves the king, the baby & anyone who needed saving

Rating: 7 (just barely)

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post

This was basically a Meg/Joxer ep. This should be an early example of how TPTB liked to use & reuse & keep reusing the same formula again & again & again. Not just in this lookalike series but with many themes & characters during the show's run.

i think it was a general lack of creative thinking that had the show bogged down in the same 'ol same 'ol plots & storylines.

it's my opinion that starting with season 5 they should have fired the old writers/directors and brought in a whole new bunch that had nothing to do with Xena or Herc shows previously. That means no Rob Crapert either.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post

i should like this more than i do. If it were a season 5 or 6 ep it would have be one of the best eps of those seasons. i think i look back at Xena and see wasted efforts & eps. Even in the better seasons there were plenty of opportunities for TPTB to get really creative. But instead they brought about too much fluff.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post

It's too bad this ep didn't establish a Joxer-Meg relationship thing as definite. The whole Joxer-Gabrielle thing was such a joke. And it only made Joxer a bigger fool. TPTB owed it to a reoccurring character to make him learn from mistakes & realize he had no chance with Gabrielle. Joxer probably had more in common with Xena than Gabrielle!

Anyhoo i never liked the idea of romantic relationships in this show. It just got in the way of the redemption issue.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Intimate Stranger"

Ares helps Callisto escape Tartarus by changing bodies with Xena.

Best: Hudson is great as Xena; very nice ending & continued Hudson as Xena (tho Lucy was injured at the time); Joxer defended Argo

Worst: Never bought why Xena should feel guilty about Callisto's death; Gabrielle should have caught on that Xena wasn't herself

Redemption score: 5.5, it was brought up here & there

X&G ying/yang score: 8, it showed more as the show went along

Greater good comment: Xena (in Callisto's body) saves Argo, defeats Theodorus' army, saves her townspeople

Rating: 8

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Intimate Stranger"

The gist of this ep was that Xena felt guilt over "letting Callisto die" & this allowed Ares to bring her back to the world. Ares- not content to admit defeat in not being able to sway Xena back to his side- now concentrates on dead Callisto. Why didn't he do that while she was alive? Better yet, why didn't he know she was just as hard to handle as Xena?

The guilt thing should be a non-issue. Xena had killed plenty of people while changed for the good. Letting Callisto die- not saving her from the quicksand- was for the greater good. More so than most other ppl Xena killed, none whom she felt guilty over killing or letting die.

Ares said Xena never gave Callisto the same chance for change that she herself received. But Callisto was pure evil and mentally ill, too. i think the whole guilt thing was weak in this ep and just a poor excuse for bringing Callisto back yet again.

It also gets tiring of seeing Ares fawn over Xena as his "queen". Why does Ares need a mortal to rule over Earth & do his "Peace through conquest" thing? Why not do it himself?

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Intimate Stranger"

In this ep we see Callisto's mom make her relaize what a killer she is while Callisto tries to throw the blame to Xena. But her mom counters that as Callisto's victims surround her.

Callisto's mom said this: “Look around you. These people didn’t need to die.” There was more about Callisto hurting her mom by killing ppl and how she needs to face her crimes.

This is probably the closest they ever came to admitting there was something mentally wrong with Callisto.

Of course, there was something mentally wrong with Xena for a long while, probably prompted by the killing of her brother. Tho i think Callisto was mentally off/evil from the get-go.

In Fallen Angel, Callisto's mom & dad embrace her as if nothing wrong ever happened. According to the crappy story, Xena assumed Callisto's sins. So Callisto never really changed on her own free will. i guess a lot can go wrong when writers are lazy & Rob Crapert is sleeping with the star of the show & doesn't care anymore about content.