Scrolls
Dryads, as Depicted on Xena

This topic can be found at:
https://bingoze.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/356604191/m/8021074741

30 May 2006, 01:37 AM
JamesBradford
Dryads, as Depicted on Xena
I know this is probably going to annoy people who are insensitive to newbies, and I know it has probably been discussed a thousand times, but...

I'm someone who only watched Xena occasionally when it aired and now I've bought all the DVD sets and I'm catching up. I'm watching the "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" episode, and I have a question.

Usually the show seems to be pretty accurate when depicting mythological characters, at least in-so-far as the very basics. But why do they depict dryads as giant winged bone creatures?

Even as I was watching when Xena first mentions dryad bones I thought "Why would they need a wood nymph's bones to kill a Bacchai?" And then they showed the Dryads and I was shocked!

Does anyone have any background on what the heck they were thinking?

JB
30 May 2006, 08:29 AM
Arista
My honest opinion? It's much more exciting to see giant winged bone creatures than a tree nymph.

The show took a lot of liberties. This is just one in a long list.
30 May 2006, 10:05 AM
Argeaux
I always just saw Xena as entertainment and let all the historical and mythological inconsistencies wash over me.

Newbies are very welcome here, by the way.

Hiya! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~

30 May 2006, 10:58 AM
WXF
Welcome James! And the Dryads is just what Argy said-one of those inconsistencies of the show. You'll also see some things that happen in the show and in another episode it is portrayed as something else. This is what we refer to as YAXI-Yet Another Xena Inconsistency.
30 May 2006, 11:55 AM
XF3
Same thing here....total entertainment...I don't even try to nit pick...just a waste of energy. The most important thing about the show was the relationship between Xena and Gabby. That's why I watched it.

-----------------------------
My Space

30 May 2006, 11:57 AM
XF3
Oh, and howdy! Big Grin

-----------------------------
My Space

01 June 2006, 02:23 PM
XexyWarrior
Hola, James! Just wait till you get to the other seasons! I used to pick at their accuracy of Greek and Roman mythology as well but it's just fun to watch what they do change!
01 June 2006, 06:42 PM
zoom
...and Norse mythology and Hindu myhtolgy and Judeo-Christian mythology and Taoism and about any other historical or mytholgical reference ever made on XWP...

welcome James. we're always happy to see new meat...i mean new people! smash
look around & enjoy!!

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

sometimes, you just have to say 'what the f...'