Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Amphipolis Tidings  Hop To Forums  Xena    Dryads, as Depicted on Xena

Moderators: lila997

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Dryads, as Depicted on Xena
 Login/Join 
Scroller
posted
I know this is probably going to annoy people who are insensitive to newbies, and I know it has probably been discussed a thousand times, but...

I'm someone who only watched Xena occasionally when it aired and now I've bought all the DVD sets and I'm catching up. I'm watching the "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" episode, and I have a question.

Usually the show seems to be pretty accurate when depicting mythological characters, at least in-so-far as the very basics. But why do they depict dryads as giant winged bone creatures?

Even as I was watching when Xena first mentions dryad bones I thought "Why would they need a wood nymph's bones to kill a Bacchai?" And then they showed the Dryads and I was shocked!

Does anyone have any background on what the heck they were thinking?

JB

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
My honest opinion? It's much more exciting to see giant winged bone creatures than a tree nymph.

The show took a lot of liberties. This is just one in a long list.

Posts: 764 | Location: Buried under a pile of school books... | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
I always just saw Xena as entertainment and let all the historical and mythological inconsistencies wash over me.

Newbies are very welcome here, by the way.

Hiya! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
posted Hide Post
Welcome James! And the Dryads is just what Argy said-one of those inconsistencies of the show. You'll also see some things that happen in the show and in another episode it is portrayed as something else. This is what we refer to as YAXI-Yet Another Xena Inconsistency.

Posts: 507 | Location: NC, USA | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of XF3
posted Hide Post
Same thing here....total entertainment...I don't even try to nit pick...just a waste of energy. The most important thing about the show was the relationship between Xena and Gabby. That's why I watched it.

-----------------------------
My Space

Posts: 1644 | Location: Blue skies....Michigan | Registered: 24 March 2005Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of XF3
posted Hide Post
Oh, and howdy! Big Grin

-----------------------------
My Space

Posts: 1644 | Location: Blue skies....Michigan | Registered: 24 March 2005Report This Post
Scroll Guru
posted Hide Post
Hola, James! Just wait till you get to the other seasons! I used to pick at their accuracy of Greek and Roman mythology as well but it's just fun to watch what they do change!

Posts: 281 | Location: the recesses of Hell | Registered: 08 November 2004Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
...and Norse mythology and Hindu myhtolgy and Judeo-Christian mythology and Taoism and about any other historical or mytholgical reference ever made on XWP...

welcome James. we're always happy to see new meat...i mean new people! smash
look around & enjoy!!

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

sometimes, you just have to say 'what the f...'

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post