Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Amphipolis Tidings  Hop To Forums  Xena    Why the attraction?

Moderators: lila997

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Why the attraction?
 Login/Join 
Scroller
posted
i know that most of the xena fans as portayed by the media are supposedly gay and i know why gay women were attracted to the series..But, i also know that some straight women are fans too..I'd like to know what was it about the series that attracted you to it..

Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
the writing
the characters
the mythology

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

sometimes, you just have to say 'what the f...'

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of XF3
posted Hide Post
The general look of it. There was no other series out there that looked like Hercules and Xena. They drew me in from the beginning.

-----------------------------
My Space

Posts: 1644 | Location: Blue skies....Michigan | Registered: 24 March 2005Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
I liked the movie quality feel of the show. It was so cinematic.

I also liked the risks they took with portraying drama. Xena crying over the loss of her son was what hooked me in.

Finally, the fun aspects which allowed the show not to take itself too seriously cemeted my interest in it.

As for women being attracted because of the relationship between Xena and Gabrielle, I hope Ame comes into this thread so she can talk about drooling all over Ares. Wink

~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Disciple
Picture of Brian
posted Hide Post
If a straight man may butt into this convo...

The first episode I saw of Xena was "The Price." What hooked me was the fact the hero had a very dark side. I remember being surprised to see a tv lead character raising an axe and screaming with bloodlust that "We're going to kill 'em all!"

I was fascinated that the hero explained the battle wasn't glory and heroism and righteous crusading, but more often just a stark kill or be killed situation, and that a blade in the other guy's gut was a better result than his blade through yours. This was not standard television fare.

This bloodthirsty aspect was tempered then allayed by a sidekick who was obviously devoted, yet was strong enough to defy her mentor.

Television heroes have always tended to be upright, righteous, straight and narrow types. Though it's quite common now to see television "hero" characters with mixed traits and frailties, I feel Xena was very much at the forefront of this idea.

I had very personal connections with a character who had wallowed into a dark life, then one day changed abruptly and tried to do the right thing, all the while followed and tormented by ghosts of previous wrongs.

The subtext was fun and provided for some tingly moments, but I applauded the effort to keep it secondary. These were two people who defied Caesar, who challenged the gods, who fought to protect and support those who couldn't protect themselves, two people who lost family and children and suffered brutally, all the while carried onward by the idea of serving The Greater Good. To push all that to the background just to peek at what they did or didn't do by the campfire during the dark night would have been a betrayal to the real message of Xena... that courage can change the world.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Brian,

Posts: 207 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Brian that's the best explanation I've ever read about what makes Xena work so well.

~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Disciple
Picture of Brian
posted Hide Post
Thank you Argeaux. I appreciate your kind words.

Posts: 207 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Argeaux:
Brian that's the best explanation I've ever read about what makes Xena work so well.

that's why they call him "Brain"...

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

sometimes, you just have to say 'what the f...'

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
Well said Brian.

I watched my first ep because it was filmed in New Zealand.

I kept watching for a few reasons.

• A strong female lead who was likable.
  • The fact that they didn't take themselves too seriously.
  • AND that when they wanted to be serious, they were believable and true to the characters.
  • The chemistry between LL and ROC. I've said from day one that neither is a great actress, but together they are really special.
  • The writing/directing.
  • Gabs abs Wink

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
Picture of beauTifully tragic
posted Hide Post
a woman swinging a sword? and a cute partner?.. hot damn! Wink

interest in sci-fi/fantasy, ancient/medieval, history, women with a past and questionable motives, etc

Posts: 2723 | Location: la la land | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
Picture of beauTifully tragic
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2723 | Location: la la land | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Jubs
posted Hide Post
God, Briansummed it all up so well.

I know this is going to sound a bit sappy....

I'm a person who's always seen herself as the lead character in the movies. I've always been taught by my mother that women are a force to be reckonned with and I saw very few shows out there that showcased how kick ass women could be. I'd always been interested in mythology and love Hercules before I ever saw Xena. Then, when I was awkward and an outcast at 14 years old I found Xena. Xena showed me, in a way my mother could never describe, what women were capable of. Sure it was all dramatic and sci-fi/myth based, but it showed a strong female role and I admired Xena's power. Watching Xena gave me an understanding of what The Greater Good was all about. At 16 years old, this message board, gave me confidence that this little pudgy girl, who had always been the little pudgy girl, had never dreamed of. Here I was, in the midst of a group of people who were like me, who liked me and listened to what I had to say. Finding the scrolls was really the best thing that could happen for my self esteem.

And it's ALL because of Xena and Gabby.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 920 | Location: Iowa, USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
posted Hide Post
Welcome Xicano, nice to have another Xena fan amongst us. Smile Feel free to go introduce yourself in the General forum so we can get to know you a bit better. Oh, and if you can't tell by my nickname, I'm into Gabrielle. Wink

Posts: 893 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 25 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller
posted Hide Post
Hey thanks! I'll stop by.

Scroll Guru
Picture of TiggsWP
posted Hide Post
Ok, so I know this post hasn't been added to for a while, but i had to add my two cents. I agree with pretty much everything everone here has said. But I'd like to expand, on one aspect of it, just a little.

I originally did not like Xena...*gasp* i know...I started watching Herc, when he was only in those Action Pack Movies, and lvoed the Mythology of it all. But Xena, when she arrived on the scene just rubbed me the wrong way. Then I saw the episode "Blind Faith" and I was hooked. What hooked me was the devotion between these two women. Xena was willing to risk everything just to make sure Gabrielle was safe. That amazed me, and a relationship like that was something I really needed to be able to belive in @ that point in my life.

Here's where I may really get booed. But, I have always kinda stuck by the "just friends" theory and here is why. I truly believe that two ppl can love eachother enough to give their lives for one another and still have it be a completely platonic relationship. I believe this to be true because I have seen it in my own life.

The short of what I am trying to say is that I love this show because it shows two ppl who love eachother UNCONDITIONALLY. Who cares what kind of love it is...it's love and that's all that matters.

Ok...I'm done now.

Scroller
posted Hide Post
Why the attraction for straight females? Most of my friends used to watch Xena and all are straight and we all have the same answer: Because she can kick some mean butt and take care of herself!! Think about it! If ALL females could fight like her......I guess we wouldn't have much to worry about with the (bad) males of our society! Hope you wanted an HONEST answer! She is everything I would be if I could be!

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Wow! A new member to board?!?! Welcome TamiSueWho!

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroller
Picture of CallistoTheInsaneOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian:
If a straight man may butt into this convo...

The first episode I saw of Xena was "The Price." What hooked me was the fact the hero had a very dark side. I remember being surprised to see a tv lead character raising an axe and screaming with bloodlust that "We're going to kill 'em all!"

I was fascinated that the hero explained the battle wasn't glory and heroism and righteous crusading, but more often just a stark kill or be killed situation, and that a blade in the other guy's gut was a better result than his blade through yours. This was not standard television fare.

This bloodthirsty aspect was tempered then allayed by a sidekick who was obviously devoted, yet was strong enough to defy her mentor.

Television heroes have always tended to be upright, righteous, straight and narrow types. Though it's quite common now to see television "hero" characters with mixed traits and frailties, I feel Xena was very much at the forefront of this idea.

I had very personal connections with a character who had wallowed into a dark life, then one day changed abruptly and tried to do the right thing, all the while followed and tormented by ghosts of previous wrongs.

The subtext was fun and provided for some tingly moments, but I applauded the effort to keep it secondary. These were two people who defied Caesar, who challenged the gods, who fought to protect and support those who couldn't protect themselves, two people who lost family and children and suffered brutally, all the while carried onward by the idea of serving The Greater Good. To push all that to the background just to peek at what they did or didn't do by the campfire during the dark night would have been a betrayal to the real message of Xena... that courage can change the world.

thumbs up!
The power...the passion...the danger
I like Xena more then Hercules simply because i find it boring, i mean you know Herc is a demi-god and is a good guy, who alway's does the right thing. Xena however is a difrent story she started out as a villan and by sheer will is trying to make up for her past behaviour.
She is human and sometimes makes mistakes, I find that very appealing.

You're trying to figure me out?...I'm flattered

Posts: 31 | Location: Well Cirra was burned to a crisp | Registered: 28 July 2008Report This Post