Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Amphipolis Tidings  Hop To Forums  Movies    Good movies you've seen recently
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 30

Moderators: Sara, Smirk Morgan
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Good movies you've seen recently
 Login/Join 
Scroll Desperado
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thersites:
Val & I watched Pompeii tonite.
We both liked it but I predict xc will find it too have too much CG.....

It was Way too short needed another 4 or 5 hours..LOL


i predict i won't rent this when it makes dvd. Or was it a straight to dvd? Which isn't as bad as straight to cable, like a LL/RoC Xena movie would be. *ahem*

yeah if BrucE & Val were in a theatre for an extra 4-5 hrs i guess that'd be what?- another $80 on pop & popcorn? Yikes!
 
Posts: 10429 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scroll Desperado
posted Hide Post
"Frozen Ghost" (1945)

Lon Chaney Jr as a hypnotist who thinks he's killed ppl when he ain't. This movie was part of the Inner Sanctum film series of the mid '40s.

No CGI & lasted only 61 min. BrucE woulda been bored outta his gourd & woulda shouted at the screen, "Aw c'mon i want stuffage blowin up! Enuff with actin & a plot- gimme 6 hrs of stuffage flyin & explodin & where duh heck's Iron Man????"
 
Posts: 10429 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scroll Desperado
posted Hide Post
"Ali Baba & the 40 Thieves" (1944)

Ha! i love these old Arabian Nights movies. 1940s SFX would infuriate some but i love these type movies. i wouldn't mind seeing an updated version if it had a great story with minimal SFX.
 
Posts: 10429 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scroll Obsessive
Picture of Thersites
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xenacrazed:


No CGI & lasted only 61 min. BrucE woulda been bored outta his gourd & woulda shouted at the screen, "Aw c'mon i want stuffage blowin up! Enuff with actin & a plot- gimme 6 hrs of stuffage flyin & explodin & where duh heck's Iron Man????"


Hah! So WRONG I way prefer Thor to Iron Man...

But in truth its the shot like Asgard in thor or Rivendell in LotR/Hobbit that I like so much...DId you forget I was the one who didnt watch Xena for the fights..?

I often fast forward thru that sort of stuff when Im watching a movie & wanna keep it moving along.

I love the CG eye-candy not necessarily explosions & destruction..tho if done right that can be alotta fun.
 
Posts: 1366 | Location: USA | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scroll Obsessive
Picture of Thersites
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xenacrazed:
"Ali Baba & the 40 Thieves" (1944)

Ha! i love these old Arabian Nights movies. 1940s SFX would infuriate some but i love these type movies. i wouldn't mind seeing an updated version if it had a great story with minimal SFX.


Yes I might like this if it had No story,an indecipherable plot,lotsa nasty old wrinkly nudity & maybe JarJar Binks tossed in for good measure.O hyeah, Ialmost forgot lotsa very poorly done Computer animations...that look like a 6 year old did them.

Be sure too make it at least 4 or 5 days long too.I love going to the potty room & missing the best parts...over & over again & again.
 
Posts: 1366 | Location: USA | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scroll Desperado
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thersites:
quote:
Originally posted by xenacrazed:


No CGI & lasted only 61 min. BrucE woulda been bored outta his gourd & woulda shouted at the screen, "Aw c'mon i want stuffage blowin up! Enuff with actin & a plot- gimme 6 hrs of stuffage flyin & explodin & where duh heck's Iron Man????"


Hah! So WRONG I way prefer Thor to Iron Man...

But in truth its the shot like Asgard in thor or Rivendell in LotR/Hobbit that I like so much...DId you forget I was the one who didnt watch Xena for the fights..?

I often fast forward thru that sort of stuff when Im watching a movie & wanna keep it moving along.



i liked LOTR as it was varied & didn't like the new Thor cuz it was repetitive. LOTR had good acting to compliment the SFX & a good story. The new Thor had neither, IMO.
 
Posts: 10429 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scroll Desperado
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thersites:
quote:
Originally posted by xenacrazed:
"Ali Baba & the 40 Thieves" (1944)

Ha! i love these old Arabian Nights movies. 1940s SFX would infuriate some but i love these type movies. i wouldn't mind seeing an updated version if it had a great story with minimal SFX.


Yes I might like this if it had No story,an indecipherable plot,lotsa nasty old wrinkly nudity & maybe JarJar Binks tossed in for good measure.O hyeah, Ialmost forgot lotsa very poorly done Computer animations...that look like a 6 year old did them.

Be sure too make it at least 4 or 5 days long too.I love going to the potty room & missing the best parts...over & over again & again.


That explains why ya like Thor The Dork World!
 
Posts: 10429 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scroll Obsessive
Picture of Thersites
posted Hide Post
quote:
That explains why ya like Thor The Dork World!



Yes I did .. but I meant I like Thor much better as a comic book character than Iron Man.

I dont follow whatcha mean by repetitive..?
 
Posts: 1366 | Location: USA | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scroll Obsessive
Picture of Thersites
posted Hide Post
Damn I opened this thead to state that I watched
Gravity tonite.

I liked it quite a bit.
Tho i had a bit of a quibble with how the Space Debris was handled,

I doubt it would behave like that.
Things orbiting at the same distance {in a circular orbit} are going the same speed .. if they are going THAT much faster they would accelerate into a MUCH higher orbit.. or at least a VERY unpredictable elliptical one
 
Posts: 1366 | Location: USA | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scroll Desperado
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thersites:
quote:
That explains why ya like Thor The Dork World!


I dont follow whatcha mean by repetitive..?


There wasn't much of a plot besides revenge. No character development or interesting subplots. It was like fight/SFX puke/fight/SFX puke/fight. It's why i found it boring.
 
Posts: 10429 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scroll Desperado
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thersites:
Damn I opened this thead to state that I watched
Gravity tonite.

I liked it quite a bit.
Tho i had a bit of a quibble with how the Space Debris was handled,

I doubt it would behave like that.
Things orbiting at the same distance {in a circular orbit} are going the same speed .. if they are going THAT much faster they would accelerate into a MUCH higher orbit.. or at least a VERY unpredictable elliptical one


You saw this at a theatre? Wouldn't been cheaper to rent the dvd? i liked the movie. i liked how they kept the story going in space without the cliched earth scenes interrupting the suspense.
 
Posts: 10429 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scroll Desperado
posted Hide Post
"Machete Kills"

This one was ok but nowhere near as good as eh 1st film. Plus there was no nude babes this time. Lotta great lookin women but they stayed clothed. Plus they made Machete into near immortal status which sucks.
 
Posts: 10429 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scroll Obsessive
Picture of Thersites
posted Hide Post
quote:
You saw this at a theatre? Wouldn't been cheaper to rent the dvd? i liked the movie. i liked how they kept the story going in space without the cliched earth scenes interrupting the suspense.


Well it was their Super Cheap nite..$2 for movie..I cant drink most of the beverages they serve..
So I took my own decaf Cola/CreamSoda mix & some old popcorn <---{hey it was Theirs,rite?}

It cost me more in gas to make the Now nearly 18 mile round trip...but its 80% freeway driving....
so it was less than $5 total I would guesstimate.

Also I have an old 19" Standard Def TV....not fun to watch under the bestest of circumstances...

I saw Machete Kills @ home HD download...on me 17" laptop.
I think instead of investing in a HD TV I would rather get a 24" Monitor for watching stuff.
After all I download 75% of what I watch anyways.
 
Posts: 1366 | Location: USA | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scroll Desperado
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thersites:


Also I have an old 19" Standard Def TV....not fun to watch under the bestest of circumstances...

I saw Machete Kills @ home HD download...on me 17" laptop.
I think instead of investing in a HD TV I would rather get a 24" Monitor for watching stuff.
After all I download 75% of what I watch anyways.


i have 21" standard tv. i'm gonna wait til it dies before buying fancy shmancy tv. Mostly when i watch tv it's either cable movies (Turner) or dvds.
 
Posts: 10429 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scroll Desperado
posted Hide Post
"The Warrior & the Sorceress" (1984)

Ha! David Carradine is the warrior fighting against 3 tribes who want access to a well on a desert-like world with 2 suns. Loads of topless women, lotta bloodshed, simple story dragged on too long but it was good cheesy fun/bad movie.
 
Posts: 10429 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scroll Obsessive
Picture of Thersites
posted Hide Post
Hahah I think I saw that one when it was fairly new...Tho prolly not in a theatre.
 
Posts: 1366 | Location: USA | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scroll Desperado
posted Hide Post
"Rock 'N' Roll High School" (1979)

Gabba gabba hey! The best rock n roll movie -ever. One of my all time fave flicks. The Ramones, PJ Soles & some great music. They need to make more music movies like this, not sure why they ain't tried.
 
Posts: 10429 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scroll Desperado
posted Hide Post
"Captain America: The Winter Soldier"

Yep i went to see a movie! This was much much better than Thor: The Dork World & the last couple Iron Man flicks. Cap comics were usually dull but it makes for a pretty good movie. Good story & acting, tad too much SFX but Scarlett Johanssoncrazed made up for that. They need some Black Widow films, she can hold her own (and i'd like to hold her & more).

Previews for Scarlett's "Lucy" film looked good. Spidey 2- how many villains they gonna have? Too many ruin the film. X Men Days of Future Past- so many characters but i hope it works out. Guardians of the Galaxy- looks funny- i never read their comics.
 
Posts: 10429 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scroll Obsessive
Picture of Thersites
posted Hide Post
"Captain America: The Winter Soldier"

Of Course I went to see a movie!

This was Not as good as Thor: The Dork World or the last couple Iron Man flicks.

But it was better than the 1st Capt America which was a bit of a disappointment to me ...Val & I watched it only once.
This one we will def be seeing at least 2ce.

Naturally EVERY Movie is improved by havin Scarlett Johansson in it...!

I saw a preview YET AGAIN for the upcoming Spider-man movie which will feature that trash new cast that ruined the last one. I predict that it will also be a one time watch.

Ya see sometimes {often actually} a new cast & crew & writers just dont have what it takes to improve on whats gone before...Spidey reboot is a sad example of this.The second or 3rd gp round HAS to be better ..or really whats the point.

Hollywood has gotten pretty good at this but unfortunately Marvel's Spider-man isnt.

We will see about the new one...but the previews dont look really promising.
 
Posts: 1366 | Location: USA | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scroll Desperado
posted Hide Post
i liked the 1st Capt America movie a lot. The 2nd is better, more like a spy thriller, and unlike Thor: Dork World, it had a plot & wasn't pointless repetitive.

As for Spidey, both series of casts & writers & stories had good & bad points. i really never cared for either actor who played Peter Parker. i liked Spidey 2 the best (Doc Ock the best villain so far) but i prefer Emma Stone as Gwen over whats-her-face as MJ in the 1st series. i liked new Spidey 1 over the other mainly cuz the Green Goblin sucked.
 
Posts: 10429 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scroll Obsessive
Picture of Thersites
posted Hide Post
In truth I was vaguely disappointed in ALL the Spider-man movies...

Yeah Green Goblin was probably his most famous Maybe bestest villain in the Comix....Didnt work so well on screen.

I needed to warm up to Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane
I didnt see her as Ideal for the part but she is such a good actress that I felt she made it work just fine.

I liked the choice of Bryce Dallas Howard for Gwen Stacy tho I think the 2 female leads would have been even better swapped.Because Mary Jane was the more outgoing boisterous one in the comic.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Thersites,
 
Posts: 1366 | Location: USA | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scroll Obsessive
Picture of Thersites
posted Hide Post
To continue....Emma Stone IS a good actress but she just doesnt have that, "Je ne sais quoi"
that some actresses have.You know like a spark that fires up one's interest.
She was barely adequate in the part,for me but thats all....

Andrew Garfield is Totally another story ..Peter Parker was supposed to be a quiet shy nerd just like me when I was younger.

ANdy has More than a Whiff of Gayness to him & PP wasnt shy & studious...He was Nutty...
He & Marvel turned my fave comic book hero into a Nutter.
A sexually Ambiguous Nutball.

IMO Andrew Garfield is a Piss Poor choice to play Spider-man...Maybe the worst in the Marvel Cinematic Universe or whatever theyre calling it.

The movie was OK but it wasnt Spider-man to me....
I had to set side every thing I knew & everything I liked @ Spidey as a kid to watch the movie.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Thersites,
 
Posts: 1366 | Location: USA | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scroll Obsessive
Picture of Thersites
posted Hide Post
Hey I know heres some other Actors Actresses I would have liked to see in different roles.

Natalie Portman maybe my Fave actress...Shes great as Jane Foster in the Thor series...but..
I would like to have seen her get a much bigger part. Maybe the Scarlet Witch depending on what they do with her..

Elizabeth Olson as the Scarlet Witch Yuck...
SW was one of my fave female characters back in the day...Marvel didnt make good & proper use of her in the 60s IMO.
Preferred Actresses for this part..NatP Scarlett Johansson,Evangeline Lilly Kirsten Dunst,Bryce D Howard,Katie Holmes, Jessica Alba Jessica Biel,Jennifer Garner ,Jennifer Connelly Hell ANY Jennifer or Any Jessica..LOL

Too Add more: Kathleen Robertson,Hudson Lieck,Dina Meyer,Deborah Kara Unger,Carla Gugino,Rosario Dawson! <----Especially Her

She doesnt even have to be young,Sandra Bullock, Lucy Lawless,Catherine Deneuve,Raquel Welch...Damn even Betty White would be preferable.

Liz Olson's Pie face & Googly eyes are not somthing I wanna see in my Scarlet Witch...Thank you very muck ...Umm Much!!!..LOL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Thersites,
 
Posts: 1366 | Location: USA | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scroll Obsessive
Picture of Thersites
posted Hide Post
Chris Hemsworth is AMAZING as Thor.. Its like he was born to play the part...
I dont know what to say @ Scarlett as the Black Widow...Im completely un-familiar with the character...Shes very good in the part & seems to be getting more & more screen time...but Im not crazy about the character.

The annoying thing about the Marvel Universe is that alot of it was developed in the 60s so its a real sausage-fest...it Needs MORE WOMEN !!!!

To answer my prayers I was lookin on Scar Jo's IMDb page & apparently they are considering/making a Black Widow movie....Woo Hah!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Thersites,
 
Posts: 1366 | Location: USA | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scroll Desperado
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thersites:
In truth I was vaguely disappointed in ALL the Spider-man movies...

Yeah Green Goblin was probably his most famous Maybe bestest villain in the Comix....Didnt work so well on screen.

I needed to warm up to Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane
I didnt see her as Ideal for the part but she is such a good actress that I felt she made it work just fine.

I liked the choice of Bryce Dallas Howard for Gwen Stacy tho I think the 2 female leads would have been even better swapped.Because Mary Jane was the more outgoing boisterous one in the comic.


Doc Ock & Sandman were my fave Spidey villains in the comics. Doc translated very good to the screen & so did Sandman but Spidey 3 was congested with too many villains.

Only liked Dunst in Spidey 2. They made her MJ to be a mix of MJ & Gwen- 2 exact opposites personality-wise. i think that's why she never worked for me. Ha! i boycotted Spidey books for yrs cuz they killed Gwen. i was in love with a comic book character!

Bryce was great as Gwen. Now i wanna see that movie again...
 
Posts: 10429 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 30 
 

Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Amphipolis Tidings  Hop To Forums  Movies    Good movies you've seen recently

© YourCopy 2002