Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Movies    Good movies you've seen recently
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 45

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Good movies you've seen recently
 Login/Join 
Scroll Obsessive
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by xenacrazed:

Jeepers are them dwarves immortal? Orcs, elves, big bear, dragon, falling stone, fire- nuthin can kill 'em. i was half-way rootin' for Smug but that dumb dragon oughta quit yackin & start bbq'ing some dwarves- how stoopid!

Yeah but you werent watching carefully enough... just like the 1st movie the 'mighty' dwarves are constantly being rescued by others..the Elves showed up & killed off the spiders & did in the orcs too.

Was the lady elf with the nice rack in the Hobbit book? i don't remember.

No she wasnt,in fact all of the interesting parts that foreshadow Sauron & the LotR series are in the Tolkein universe but not in the Hobbit.It was his 1st book & was written to be read to children.Its not even young adult literature.
I read it when I was 15 & thought it too childish.

The movies have really dressed up a pig...& done it quite well...

i coulda done with less cartoonish fight/chase scenes about the invincible dwarves & maybe more lady elf or maybe get Christopher Lee to show up & do some damage. Maybe show some back story on the were-bear.

Yes I love Tauriel & Especially Smaug....now THATs a Dragon !!!
The Dwarves bore me.As they do in D&D too.

But it was still good tho way way way too over the top compared to LOTR.

Yes,again,it was WAY better than the 1st one...which was a huge disappointment for me.

Posts: 1408 | Location: USA | Registered: 12 April 2013Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i have both the Hobbit films on dvd, just the regular dvd. i probably should've waited for the extended version to see if they added anything that might've made it better. But i hate waitin.

i liked the 1st Hobbit movie better but not by much. i wished they had had more dwarves to begin with & then killed some off along the way to make it less cartoonish. And smarter dwarves.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Obsessive
posted Hide Post
I have watched the extened Hobbit p1.. it only adds more Dwarf stuff...
When in Rivendell they really were uncouth..They bathed in a Public fountain & got drunk & had a food fight..
Its kinda Animal House.

I think you really need to watch Smaug a few more times....
He totally out-thinks Bimbo Baggins....
He use 'psionics' I guess to mentally Force the 1 ring off Bilbo's finger....Seems to know its "preciousssss".He may not actually be Evil.....the Dwarves & humans are like ants to him
Hes my Fave character in all of the LotR/Hobbit Series.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Shutter Island"

A fave movie that is underrated. May be Scorsese & DeCrapio's best film. i like how the story can be interpreted different ways & there's so much going on. Plus one of the best ambiguous endings.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Splinter"

Young couple out in mid of nowhere get kidnapped by convict & his white trash girlfriend. When they stop at gas station they's under attack by weird spikey creature. Great low-budget horror flick i saw few yrs ago.

Scroll Obsessive
posted Hide Post
I have Splinter DL'd I haven't watched it yet.
It did seem good.

Tonite I finally got to see Monuments MenI expected it to be good .. but it was even better..!

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Barbarian Queen" (1985)

Pre-Xena warior women kicking butt. Lana Clarkson plays Xena er the barb queen. She was murdered several yrs ago by Phil Spector. That sucks but at least he's in prison now.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Jack Frost" (1965)

Saw this on a MST3K dvd. Silly flick from Finland that was very funny tho funnier with the 'bots doin their thing. Still i liked the cinematography in the movie too bad it was wasted on a crappy film.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Shoot 'em Up"

Clive Owen & Monica Bellucci in a cartoonish super violent flick. Saw this last back in '07. Didn't realize it was that old a movie. Good for laughs i guess.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Red Riding Hood"

Stoopid. Amanda Seyfriedcrazed as Red Riding Hood. Werewolf was stoopid. Story was stoopid. Waste of time.

Scroll Obsessive
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Red Riding Hood"

Stoopid. Amanda Seyfriedcrazed as Red Riding Hood. Werewolf was stoopid. Story was stoopid. Waste of time.

I liked this... I thought it was really moody & quite beautifully filmed...I would give it a 7/10.

I was alone in my like for it.

If nothing else it wasnt forgettable for me...Theres nothing worse than going to a film & the next wek noticing it in the line up & saying ..Did I go see that last week..?

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thersites:
quote:
"Red Riding Hood"

I liked this... I thought it was really moody & quite beautifully filmed...I would give it a 7/10.

I was alone in my like for it.

If nothing else it wasnt forgettable for me...Theres nothing worse than going to a film & the next wek noticing it in the line up & saying ..Did I go see that last week..?

Best things about this movie for me: Amanda, the cinematography & the bigger name stars: Julie Christie, Gary Oldman & Virginia Madsen.

The worst things: the werewolf: should have shown transformation, should have walked like human, should not have been the papa, should have been in it more. The dialog was stoopid. The guys who played the boyfriends & papa were bad. the pacing of the movie was off making it boring. The film shoulda been rated R with more nudity & bloody gore. Less time shoulda been spent with villagers & nutty priests & more with Amanda & werewolf. The talking werewolf was clever but wasted in the story. Maybe if the werewolf was the dead sister or one of Amanda's gal friends would be better.

Scroll Obsessive
posted Hide Post
See you didnt just forget about it....it left a lasting impression..

We all went out for dinner & a movie

We watched Philomenawhich was quite good.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
See you didnt just forget about it....it left a lasting impression..

Forget about what? What you talkin nout??? Hmmm must not be too important or i'd remember, eh?

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Stardust" (2007)

Hadn't seen this since the dvd came out. Really enjoyed this fantasy flick. Never cared much for Claire Daines but she was very good for the role. Maybe Amy Adams would have been better but who knows. Good story & acting, no complaints.

Scroll Obsessive
posted Hide Post
Yeah I quite enjoyed that one too...

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah I quite enjoyed that one too...

OMG! We agree on something! Eek

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Ayeong" (2004)

Korean ghost flick. Ghost gets revenge on girls who wronged it. Nice story twists at end.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Kingpin" (1996)

Woody Harrelson, Randy Quaid & Xena-might-have-been Vanessa Angel. Great soundtrack. lotta funny scenes. Bill Murray is a laff riot here. Hadn't seen this in ages but still have it on vhs.

Scroll Obsessive
posted Hide Post
I liked Kingpin too.. I saw it with my brother when it came out...He didnt care for it..
Tho he has a thing about/against Bowling....

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Didn't really watch a movie last nite. It was a collection of short films- educational films from the '50s- that the 'bots on MST3K were making fun of. They were very funny, i laffed my head off then had to reattach my head tho probably i shoulda left the ugly thing off. Maybe i could buy me a new head & attach it the next time i laff it off?

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The Man from Planet X" (1951)

Early sci-fi that was actually pretty good. It reminded me more of them great Universal horror flicks with sci-fi injected in. Very low budget & atmospheric.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Brick"

Joe-Gordy Levitt high school film noir with '30-'40s gangster movie slang talk. One of my fave films tho it's mostly a satire. Dunno the stats on it here but the bulls in the burbs like it.

Scroll Obsessive
posted Hide Post
Saw Non-Stop with Liam Neeson tonite

Kind of unexpectedly.....It was Ok to good.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou"

Not too crazy bout this Wes Anderson film. Bill Murray was good as were others but it seemed like a soulless movie.