Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Movies    Good movies you've seen recently
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 45

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Good movies you've seen recently
 Login/Join 
Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Salem
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention, the ONE negative about the film is that Famke Janssen spends the majority of her screen time under horrible witch make-up smash

erm, in Hansel and Gretel, that is. Didn't realize I'd start a new page!

Posts: 3209 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Rented a flick called "Hide Away" yesterday. It's a character based movie about a guy hiding from his past on a boat. It's very slow & really wasn't in-depth as it could have been. They spent too much time at the beginning showing how distraught he was. Too bad, there were some interesting characters in the film. Can't recommend it.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xenacrazed:
quote:
Originally posted by lila997:
I saw Zero Dark Thirty the other night. Liked it more than I expected to.
I am on my annual Oscar movie watching binge at the moment so I am sure I will be back here to post more soon Smile

i wanna see this. i like Jessica Chastain. Also wanna see Argo and Lincoln.

i saw "Wild Strawberries" last nite. First Bergman film i seen & i liked it.

Argo is now on DVD so it is on the agenda for this weekend along with Sessions (DVD) and Silver Linings Playbook (theater). Cramming for the Oscars Smile.

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i thought Argo came out on dvd next week. i'll have to go to the video store & get a copy.

i wanna see Silver Linings Playbook, too. Jennifer Lawrence is an xc wife.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
XC you are right about Argo. It is on DVD next week. My cable on demand starts playing it this weekend. Is that weird?

I just watched Perks Of Being A Wallflower. Liked it. I read the book long ago. I may need to reread.

Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Salem
posted Hide Post
Yay, I loved 'Perks', both the book and the movie!

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
I just watched Perks Of Being A Wallflower. Liked it. I read the book long ago. I may need to reread.

That's good as i'm planning to rent this one too. i also want to rent Flight.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i saw "Seaching for Sugarman" last nite. Brilliant stuff! It's about the singer Rodriguez & how he was so popular in South Africa & they thought he was dead. i have both his albums & they're excellent. i hope this wins the Oscar for best documentary.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That's good as i'm planning to rent this one too. i also want to rent Flight.

I saw Flight. Different than what I thought it would be. Denzel's performance as an addict was nuanced and powerful.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i agree with cuz lila about Denzel in "Flight". Saw it tonite. Wasn't crazy about it. doubt i ever see it again but some good performances.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Just finished watchin "Perks Of Being A Wallflower". Good cast. Liked that Emma Watson's character likes vinyl. The last act was kinda strange, i didn't expect it to turn that direction & it skipped thru it so quickly compared to the rest of the film. i felt all but the last act seemed honest enough but they should have spent more time with that last act development. Anyway, great soundtrack & Nina Dobrev, who played Candace, is a hottie (at 24 is too old to play a high school senior, too, but right age for an xc wife!).

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Academy Award cram session continues. Saw Silver Linings Playbook last night. Another one with good acting. Predictable story but not annoyingly so. I forget how much I like Jennifer Lawrence until I see her in something and Bradley Cooper proves he is more than just a pretty face. Like some of the soundtrack too.
Watched The Sessions today. Bold performances. I can see why Helen Hunt got nominated for stuff but not sure why Hawkes was overlooked.
In non-Oscar choices watched the doc Bully (it snowed here again. Couch time).

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i wanna see "Bully" too. And "Anna Karenina", i think that's on dvd this week.

still bummed that "Moonrise Kingdom" didn't get Oscar nods, except screenplay. It was one of my top faves of last year.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i saw "Fair Game" on cable tonite. Naomi Watts is CIA agent whose cover is blown by George Bushit's White House. Based on true story. Overlong & kinda dull but ok.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Saw "Argo" tonite. Excellent film & performances. This is the only Oscar nominated best pic film i'll see before the awards. i wish they'd all get dvd releases before the awards, dang it!

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Also rented "End of Watch" yesterday. Hand-held camera cop flick. Good performances but predictable story. Still worth a rental.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Watched "Youth In Revolt" last nite. Love this flick. Stars Michael Cera, or is it Jesse Eisenberg, they look alike. Nice dark comedy.

Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Salem
posted Hide Post
Okay, while you lot are all seeing Oscar nominated films, *I'm* seeing the REAL cinema classics, like Beautiful Creatures!

I'd already read the book, but I didn't really like it. It felt.. dull, I just couldn't get into it, so I wanted to see the movie, just to see if I'd like it better than the book, and I did!

There was a LOT changed from the book that I can remember, but it must have been for the best, since I liked it more.

I also found the two leads pretty engaging which was good. Alden Ehrenreich (what a mouthful..) especially. He's not what I would call traditionally good looking, but he had tons of charm and he just.. worked, I guess. He felt really naturally. And since I'm not from the American south, I can't tell if the southern accents were bad or not, so.. *shrug*

Jeremy Irons and Emma Thompson were fantastic too. AND the main guys friend was also in Hansel and Gretel!

My only criticism is that the movie felt a bit long, but other than that, tops!

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i watched the latest Bond, James Bond last nite, "Skyfall". i'd seen it before but it's pretty good. Daniel Craig is more raw as Bond, not a sophisticated wuss like Roger Moore but still cool like Sean Connery. 007 fans should like this one.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Also rented "End of Watch" yesterday. Hand-held camera cop flick. Good performances but predictable story. Still worth a rental.

I saw that in the theater. Other than the hand held camera work making me a little queasy in some parts I liked it.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Finally watching Argo now. FYI It's not about a Warrior Princess' palomino. Wink

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i'm glad "Searching for Sugarman" won. And Adele. And Argo. And Jennifer Lawrence.

i wanna see "Life of Pi". Has anyone here seen it?

And that one about the kid in the swamps. i forget the title.

Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Salem
posted Hide Post
Git outta my swamp you kids *shakes fist* >.<! But no, I have no idea what that movie is..

I've seen Life of Pi! I quite enjoyed it, very.. visual! Saw it in 3D too, which, I'm not sure what your feelings on 3D are, I personally don't mind it one way or another, but I thought Life of Pi would be a good one to see in 3D, and it was!

It also had some rather nice music in it Smile

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Kid in swamp= Beasts of the Southern Wild

Big Grin

It was good.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i'll have to pick up the swamp kid dvd soon.

i also wanna rent The Master.

i don't know when Silver Linings Playbook will be on dvd but it's a must see as Jen Law is in it. Smile