Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Movies    Good movies you've seen recently
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 45

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Good movies you've seen recently
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thersites:
Well it was vague & left open to interpretation.

i like where movies left a few things open to interpretation or have ambiguous endings. i wish Xena had had an ambiguous finale instead of the nonsense Rob Crapert dished out. Considering the variety of ppl who liked the show that might have suited more ppl.

UTS left too much open to interpretation. But i still liked it.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:

The music was appropriate but un-inspired in my opinion. It was as flat as un-varied as the story.

Below is an itnerview with the director which shows he is as confused & lackin in elloquence as his move. He picked a "gimmick" & stuck with it ..
& couldnt see that it wasnt workin IMO.
I only watched 1/2 the interview as it was as boring & unfocused as his "masterpiece".
Even after finishing this he still has no ability to describe he was doing & little understanding of anything.It seesm he was attempting even he doesnt know what.

After listening to him Im surprised it turned out as well as it did.
This is not a man I would hire/trust to take out my garbage cans & return them next day safely to my backyard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZUvIfXKVVc

i liked the music a lot. It was the best music score i've heard in ages.

i couldn't sit long thru that interview. The guy needs speaking lessons! Is he brain damaged?

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i agree with some of yer contradictions of the movie where Scarlett is concerned. Maybe more time passed from when she landed one earth & where she was out driving than was shown or implied. i dunno.

imdb posters are idiots. i hope they never come here. We had enuff trolls in the past!

Scroll Obsessive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xenacrazed:

i liked the music a lot. It was the best music score i've heard in ages.

i couldn't sit long thru that interview. The guy needs speaking lessons! Is he brain damaged?

Yes on the music it gave a creepy surreal feel to the movie but I cant say its something I enjoy listening to... now Tubular Bells Thats a masterpiece!

In- articulate is the word I was searching for to describe the interview & the movie...
I feel he wanted to say something in both but .....Failed....
What annoyed me so much about the IMDb 'Fans' of the movie was there consistant insistance that people who werent Wowwed by the movie were stupid & just couldnt understand it...

I really get annoyed when my Inferiors insult my intelligence for not appreciating a lame piece of drek..LOL

It wasnt an awful movie... hell, I watched 2ce once when Val was away & once with her.
She was a bit underwhelmed too....But we have quite similar taste in movies.

I just expected ...more... way more...LOL

I read a wiki synopsis of the book which apparently is more of a wry comedic Satire than this way to serious pretentious movie..
I think if this had been put into the more capable hands of nearly Anyone else It would have been a vastly improved movie.

I would really love to know what SJs thoughts & feelings were during the making & after of the final product are.She put in a good effort.

I think the failure is 100% on the part of "Mr. Inarticulate".

Posts: 1408 | Location: USA | Registered: 12 April 2013Report This Post
Scroll Obsessive
posted Hide Post
Jeexe Im forgetful lately.... heres a link to actual fimling dates for the movie....

BBC News: Filming of new Scarlett Johansson film to stop traffic

Edited to add.... a reviewer asked a question that occurred to me during my 1st viewing....I had forgot about it.

He also wondered if it was maybe a joke or a parody of Art-house flicks...
Its so over the top with its BS... that I wondered that myself....after the 1st hour or so.

Im reading all the user comments & user reviews about this flick & everyone either hates it or is over the moon with love for it & its 'depth'& originality.

Its amazing how the 10 star crowd saw a whole bunch of stuff that wasnt there & thinks everyone who just saw what they saw are Stupid Fools.

Ive learned when someone has to attack those who see things differently they are afraid they are the fools or wrong. Its a defensive mechanism, I guess.

Its why the Jesus freaks are such 'haters'
of anyone who can see reality in a clear headed way.

Its too bad we all cant see the movie they Imagined they were watching....Maybe it would still be as vapid as the original...wouldnt THAT be Funny!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Thersites,

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Noah"

The only thing i liked bout this movie was, of course, Jen Con. And Emma Watson. i wouldn't re-populating the world via these 2 hotties!

And i still like Under the Skin!

Scroll Obsessive
posted Hide Post
I liked Noah better than UtSbut not a lot.

You are rite it woulda been crappy without Jen Con & Emma !

They BOTH needed a LOT more screen time..

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Free Madness
posted Hide Post
Did you guys review "Transcendence" yet?(yeh I know, more Johnny air time from me lol. Roll Eyes)

I enjoyed it very much, despite bein' a bit biased. Razz I won't say it's the BEST acting job Johnny's ever done but it certainly was a really good performance, convincing enough to make me really like his character...and fear him at the right moments!!

The concept of a man putting his brain into a computer and developing this amazing power to heal through technology is FASCINATING and thoroughly inspiring to one who writes sci-fi and fantasy lol....namely ME. But I did read a bad review of it...dunno what the reviewer didn't like except that he(or she??) was prolly comparing it to every other scifi thriller ever made. Me? Well hell, I guess I'm more of a fantasy junkie than scifi...altho other planets do intrigue me....

Ok back to Transcendence. The climax kinda reminded me of the climax to "The Net."(Sandra Bullock, circa 1990-something--or was it 2000?) Transcendence was better, tho. As for Will(Johnny)'s wife losing faith in him a bit when he started to get a lil' uh, scary there with his evolution...it kinda happened a bit fast. All of a sudden she's in this mood and doesn't feel like talking at dinner...then she suddenly is all scared of Johnny and tryin' to get away from him. I thought Johnny was great when he was reading her mind and asking her, "Have you fallen out of love with me?" "No." "Have you?"
Chilling! But a lil' too unclear in the beginning why she is losing faith and suspecting nutty stuff goin' on. Razz

About a third thru the movie, at least for me, was tissue time--won't give it away but y'all prolly know if you saw it. That was handled real well, directed phenomenally, ACTED beautifully by Johnny and all.

Morgan Freeman was awesome, of course, he always is. The actor(damn I don't remember his name now) who played "Max" was stupendous as the narrator and his character....stunning ending, yes. Rebecca Hall...she's effective as Johnny's wife Evelyn, but meh, her voice gets on my nerves...she was a bit too stiff for my liking. LOL, maybe that sounds a bit biased...I always DID wanna be a movie actress but y'know---Phadadelphia is where people just kinda phade into obscurity--always been the case really. If I had the dough, I'd travel more.

But back to the movie--it worked. It was sad and triumphant at times...just downright intense. I recommend it with 4 stars. Smile

"Even when you're down and blue, just remember that someone out there loves you, even if you don't know it and even if you haven't yet met them. There's someone out there waiting for you, remember that and keep faith. You'll get there."
~~Johnny Depp.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Dreamland | Registered: 06 April 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
I liked Noah better than UtSbut not a lot.

You are rite it woulda been crappy without Jen Con & Emma !

They BOTH needed a LOT more screen time..

i liked UTS much much better than No-uh.

But i agree Jen Con & Emma shoulda been on screen more.

And more of them!

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donna Anna:
Did you guys review "Transcendence" yet?(yeh I know, more Johnny air time from me lol. Roll Eyes)

Last movie i saw with him in it was Dark Shadows i'm a huge DS fan. So he was good as Barnabas but i only liked 2/3 of the movie. Whoever wrote the movie had no understanding of the characters. imo.

Scroll Obsessive
posted Hide Post
Yeah I Saw Trandscendence it was decent not great.
I felt like I had seen it all before.

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Free Madness
posted Hide Post
Never watched a lot of Dark Shadows but it did seem a little odd...I liked the story but the character of Julia Hoffman was totally different than even the little bit I saw on the TV series on YouTube.

I do love Tim Burton tho! Big Grin Not sure who wrote the DS script but I thought it was directed well at least. And Alice Cooper is STILL a Hot Tottie!

"Even when you're down and blue, just remember that someone out there loves you, even if you don't know it and even if you haven't yet met them. There's someone out there waiting for you, remember that and keep faith. You'll get there."
~~Johnny Depp.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The Scarlett Claw" (1944)

Sherlock Holmes investigates killer in Canada who ppl think is a phantom. Great atmosphere, much better than those dopey new Holmes pics with Robert Downey.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Carrie" (2013)

what a useless remake. Sissy Spacek was born to play this role but Chloe GM is too pretty & normal for it. And Julianne Moore can't beat iper Laurie. If they're gonna remake a Stevie King they oughta redo "The Stand" & "It" mini-series.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Shock" (1946)

Vincent Price as shrink who is witnessed murdering his wife by a woman who goes into shock. Predictable but ok.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The Final Sacrifice" (1990)

On a MST3K dvd. It's aboot cults & lost civilizations & a stoopid runaway kid & his chubby Canadian buddy & a bearded woodsy geezer & hooded guys with knives & a mad dude who looks like a combo of Ray Davies & Morrissey. Yeah it was dumb but funny with the 'bots.

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Free Madness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xenacrazed:
"Carrie" (2013)

what a useless remake. Sissy Spacek was born to play this role but Chloe GM is too pretty & normal for it. And Julianne Moore can't beat iper Laurie. If they're gonna remake a Stevie King they oughta redo "The Stand" & "It" mini-series.

Ugh, agreed, and I didn't even see the remake of "Carrie." Altho I did luv "The Stand," with Ruby Dee and Gary Sinise, etc. Big Grin "It" was okay...best part was Tim Curry lol. Yeh, I could stand a remake of "It."

~~Johnny Depp.

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Free Madness
posted Hide Post
This wasn't a "recent" viewing, but if ya ever need any political humor and satire, see "The Dictator" with Sascha Baron Cohen. ROCKS! Big Grin

~~Johnny Depp.

Scroll Obsessive
posted Hide Post
I saw Lucy yesserday.. I cant believe I dint mention it..
I distinctly remember writin a review ...how strange...

It was a good movie .....not much more...

Yes its another Scarlett Johansson movie..!

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Doubt"

Amy Adamscrazed, Meryl Streep, PS Hoffman. Amy & Meryl as nuns who suspect pastor PSH molested a kid. Excellent acting & Amy makes the hottest nun ever.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The Night of the Hunter" (1955)

Robert Mitchum, Shelly Winters. Mitchum poses as a preacher to get kids to tell about hidden stolen money. Lotsa atmosphere, excellent acting, no SFX needed.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Tag: The Assassination Game" (1982)

Linda Hamilton tv movie i have on an old video i taped from TBS Night Flicks. This was b4 she was in "The Terminator". It's nice li'l crime comedy-drama based on a game. Wish it were on dvd.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Amazing Spiderman 2"

as i said earlier, if ya saw the previews & read the reviews, ya know pretty much the whole story.

Bleeeeech! what a waste of film!

The one & only good thing was Emma Stonecrazed as Gwen Stacy. She at least met expectations considering the terrible script from Orci and Kurtzman,

Orci and Kurtzman ruined this franchise.

Electro was somewhat ok & might've stayed that way had not the filmed strayed.

The Harry & Norman Osborn/Green Goblin part was stoopid beyond belief. i never like the Goblin in the other franchise but it's brilliant compared to this crap.

The Rhino was equally ridiculous & just as laffable as the Goblin.

But what do ya expect from stoopid Herc/Xena writers? If it wasn't for Emma, this flick would be worse than "Thor: the dork world".

The beginning background on Parker's parents was pointless. And the subway thing with the lab/computer was beyond stoopid.

The Parker/Aunt May relationship of the other franchise was a high point but here it's boring & Sally Field's talents are wasted.

i liked the ist Amazing Spidey film but this one sucked. Parker smooching Gwen at grad was totally outta character (even tho i'd luv to smooch her too). The Spidey one-liners were idiotic, but then again considering the writing source it's to be expected.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Warning from Space" (1956)

One-eyed starfish aliens warn earth bout impending collison with rogue planet. Too bad this was silly Japanese film cuz done in right hands, the premise would make an interesting flick.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Detective Story" (1951)

Kirk Douglas, Wm Bendix. Excellent flick that inspired all the cop shows on tv like Barney Miller, Hill St Blues, etc. Great story & acting.