Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Movies    Good movies you've seen recently
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 45

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Good movies you've seen recently
 Login/Join 
Scroll Obsessive
posted Hide Post
I rather liked that movie....

I like CGI crap too..LOL

Alot of it looks better on the big screen than it does on TV....

The CGI for LotR looks like crap on analog TV...

I have no idea why.

Posts: 1408 | Location: USA | Registered: 12 April 2013Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i would have liked "Man of Steel" better had they cut the CGI & fighting back less a half hour.

i wanted to see how ppl react to Superman & things he does in the city (fish outta water stuff) & more Amy Adams.

Tearing up skyscrapers is cliched now. Those scenes almost put me to sleep.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"They Might Be Giants" (1971)

George C Scott thinks he's Sherlock Holmes. Joanne Woodward is his Doc Watson. Always loved this movie, very smartly written & acted. Great NYC scenes. They don't make 'em like this anymore unfortunately.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Obsessive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xenacrazed:
i would have liked "Man of Steel" better had they cut the CGI & fighting back less a half hour.

Why is it that you always wanna make movies shorter..?
Maybe you would like anew Xena as a 1/2 hour comedy with 2 20-something waitresses?
Do ya have Bladder/Prostate probs..?
Smile

i wanted to see how ppl react to Superman & things he does in the city (fish outta water stuff) & more Amy Adams.

I hate people smash ..so I cant agree there.
More Amy Adams Yes.
Superman came here as a baby so fish outta water stuff could be easily overdone,I would say..
tho comedy is a good thing

Yes the action was over the top...for a movie ... but NOT for Superman, 2 Kryptonians battling WOULD cause that much destruction IMO.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Thersites,

Scroll Obsessive
posted Hide Post
quote:
"They Might Be Giants" (1971)

I have not seen this one ..or else I just forgot all about it.

As a rule I was bored by movies in the 60s & most of the 70s..
The first movie that REALLY wow-ed me was Alien 1979.

Before that I just accepted that movies had a boring 45 minute set-up before anything interesting was gonna happen but you needed to suffer thru it in order to get the full impact of what comes later.

They're NOT made that way anymore ...by rewatching a lot of stuff I noticed that 'filler' is gettin pretty rare. I LIKE that!!!

I think both movies & TV {especially!} Have gotten better over the years.

An example is 'Planet of the Apes' stuff... I suffered thru these as a kid...it was stupid & corny as all get out but it was sci-fi.
But I liked the newer ones as an adult.
They werent great but I could sit thru them a few times each.

Metropolis is the only movie before 1975 that comes to mind at the moment that I can say I really like.
99.5% of the rest I cant even sit thru once.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i just the opposite. i love old movies from '30s to '70s. i like a good story & a good build-up. i liked the Planet of the Apes series. The new one was okay.

i consider cgi & sfx to be filler. Hollywood gets stuck with story, don't know where to go, so throw in boring cgi-puke to cover time. This is why i prefer character-driven movies compared to blockbuster cgi-fests. Cgi-fests reminds me of cartoons & i'd rather watch cartoons than Superman doing an urban destruction hissy fit.

Tv dramas are better than they used to be but tv comedies are not, for me anyway.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thersites:
quote:
Originally posted by xenacrazed:

Why is it that you always wanna make movies shorter..?
Maybe you would like anew Xena as a 1/2 hour comedy with 2 20-something waitresses?
Do ya have Bladder/Prostate probs..?
Smile

i only want movies with cgi bore-fests to be shorter. So the supers are fightin & tearin stuff up. We get the point, Move on with the story. i want new Xena that tells the story without boring cgi filler. i have a boring cgi-fest filler prob. It puts me to sleep!

I hate people smash ..so I cant agree there.
More Amy Adams Yes.
Superman came here as a baby so fish outta water stuff could be easily overdone,I would say..
tho comedy is a good thing

Amy Adams is ppl. And what a ppl she is! *droooool*

Yes the action was over the top...for a movie ... but NOT for Superman, 2 Kryptonians battling WOULD cause that much destruction IMO.

It went on waaaaaay too long. i was bored. it was a yawn-fest.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The Lost Continent" (1951)

Ack! Terrible movie with slower-than-Ents rock climbing scene. But i watched it on a MST3K dvd so that made it much more tolerable.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Rollercoaster"

1977, 1978 sometime round there. George Segal is amusement park inspector who goes after guy who is blowing up rollercoasters & wanting $$$$$ to stop. It's a pretty good flick & a fine cast.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The Adjustment Bureau"

Saw this for the 1st time in a couple years. Matt Damon & Emily Blunt as lovers destined to be together but angel types keep 'em apart. Hmmm. Wonder if the Adjustment Bureau are responsible from keeping me & Gina apart all these years. *sigh*

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"World's End"

1st half hr or so looked promising, a character driven comedy. But then it became nonsense sci-fi thing that was stoopid beyond repair. Not sure why they did that.

Scroll Obsessive
posted Hide Post
Saw Hunger Games 2 tonite with Veal...

Its Pretty good but kinda ends abruptly without resolving anything....

A 148 minute movie should have more story I guess..

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec"

Hot French chick reporter adventurer goes to extreme lengths to save her sister. Would she marry an xc? Maybe that could be the sequel. Anyhoo i liked it. Just the right amount of SFX without goin overboard.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The Anderson Tapes" (1971)

Sean Connery, Dyan Cannon, Christopher Walker (his 1st movie). 007 is a safecracker breakin into ritzy apartments & Dyan Cannon's pants. It was a pretty good movie.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Chaplin"

Bio-pic of Charlie Chaplin with Rob Downey in lead role. It was ok. Not as thorough as i'd hoped for. Downey wasn't as convincing as say Leo DiCrapo as Howie Hughes. But still ok.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The Man with the Golden Gun" (1974)

Bond James Bond (Roger Boore). Never saw this all the way thru & wish i hadn't. Not even Britt Ekland in a bikini could save this junk.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Thunderbolt & Lightfoot" (1974)

Clint Eastwood & Jeff Bridges. Never seen this all the way thru til now. Much much better than that crap James Bond movie from last nite (both from '74).

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The Unbelievable Truth" (1989)

One of my fave movies. Adrienne Shelly & Robert Burke. Burke is ex-con who comes home as a mechanic philosopher & falls for Shelly. Fine romantic comedy with an edge. Too bad Shelly is no longer with us as she was murdered a few yrs back.

Scroll Obsessive
posted Hide Post
Val & I saw Ender's Game on the cheap
tonite.

It was ok @ best...

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Heat" (1995)

Al Pacino & Robert Deniro. This was bout hr & half too long. Cop-robber movie that had too much interpersonal stuff. A little would have been enuff but they went too overboard.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The President's Analyst" (1967)

One of my all time fave satires. James Coburn plays the president's shrink who has nervous breakdown & runs from foreign & domestic agents tryin to capture him. Excellent cast & some extra koolage scenes with hippees & hot flower child. The Russian secret agent had some of the best lines.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"The Vagrant" (1992)

Comedy-thriller bout a vagrant stalking & ruining the life of a mil-mannered yuppie. i can see this flick reaching cult status.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Seeking a Friend for the End of the World"

Steve Carell & xc wife Keira Knightley. Seen this before & taped it off free HBO week back in June. Glad they didn't cop out and make a safe ending.

Scroll Obsessive
posted Hide Post
Watched About Time w/Rachel Mc Adams

This is possibly the sweetest movie I have ever seen...LOL

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Rachel McAdamscrazed ya mean.

She's a wifey.