Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Movies    Best Entrances by movie characters

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Best Entrances by movie characters
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted
What are your favorite entrances in film? Was it Darth Vader's appearance in Star Wars? Was it the relaxed lounging Han Solo in the same film? Was it the entrance of the children in The Sound of Music? Ted Striker in Airplane! Little John in The Adventures of Robin Hood (1937)? Perhaps it was actually the re-entrance of a character such as Wesley or Inigo or Fezzik in The Princess Bride, Leia in Return of the Jedi or Gandalf in The Two Towers?

What was it about the entrance that made it so great? Was it the style? the comedy? Was it the thrill of seeing the character?

I think my favorite entrance in recent years was Jack Sparrow's in Pirates of the Caribbean. I loved how the camera is tight on JD's face as he's hanging on the crow's nest of his ship looking for the shore with grand music playing...then it pulls back slowly to reveal that the "ship" is in fact just a boat. A leaky boat, which proceeds to sink lower and lower as it sails into port, until the captain steps off the crow's nest directly onto the dock and strolls into town with aplomb.

Unexpected, theatrical and absurd. And it tells us a heck of a lot about the character.

What about you? What's your favorite cinematic entrance?

Posts: 2306 | Location: DFW | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i like exiting cinemas best cuz i hate movie theaters. But that's not the what ya mean, eh?

King Kong stomping his way through the jungle for Fay Wray, now there was a great entrance. Boris "why did the man never win an Oscar?" Karloff as Frankenstein's monster, first walking into the castle light. Bela Lugosi as Dracula creepin' down the castle stairs to greet Reinfield.

Julie Christie's characters always made a great entrance,as in "Dr.Zhivago", "Fahrenheit 451", "Far From the Madding Crowd", didn't matter if she was running or just leaning against a wall or sitting down, she always took over the screen and made her entrance memorable.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever
Tim Curry in The Rocky Horror Picture Show

more as they come to me...

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

sometimes, you just have to say 'what the f...'

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
Juliana Moore in The Big Lebowski

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

sometimes, you just have to say 'what the f...'

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of XF3
posted Hide Post
Elizabeth Shue in Adventures in Babysitting

-----------------------------
My Space

Posts: 1644 | Location: Blue skies....Michigan | Registered: 24 March 2005Report This Post
Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Salem
posted Hide Post
I liked Dustin Hoffman's entrance in Hook. Seeing the hook as it's being brought to the ship, with the music building up and all the pirates chanting..

Posts: 3209 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Oooh. You people are good. I have to agree with many of the choices already posted.
Adding some family movies...

Wizard of Oz: When the Wicked Witch's alter ego Miss Gulch is introduced on her evil bike. Can't you just hear the music now?

Also Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) hobbling down the red carpet ...stumble..fall..somersault...TA DA!

Both entrances tell you lots about the character before they even utter their first line. I like that.

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
I like the first time Tom Hanks' character in A League of Their Own enters the women's changeroom and takes one of the longest leaks in the entire world (so much so that Doris starts timing it).

Again, the entrance says a lot about his character at that stage of the film.

~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
X E E .. N u h h h h

in the first Xena:Warrior Princess Movie....

You know it just hasta happen.....right?

Posts: 4276 | Location: Bflo,NY USA | Registered: 28 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Free Madness
posted Hide Post
Nobody the Indian, in Dead Man.Big Grin That is just...magic. "STUPID F**KIN WHITE MAN!"RazzBig Grin

Draco in Sorcerer's Stone. "So it's true. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts."

Hermione in the same movie.Smile

Hell, Hagrid in the same movie.Big Grin

Chance in Homeward Bound, the Incredible Journey...the voiceover makes it sound like he's a person to anyone who doesn't know the movie, lol...then you see this dog eating a polyester blouse...classic.Smile

"Even when you're down and blue, just remember that someone out there loves you, even if you don't know it and even if you haven't yet met them. There's someone out there waiting for you, remember that and keep faith. You'll get there."
~~Johnny Depp.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Dreamland | Registered: 06 April 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guru
Picture of TiggsWP
posted Hide Post
For those of you who Haven't seen it, yet. Family Stone has one of the best character enterance. A little background. Family Stone is a story about a family whose member are getting together to celebrate Christmas and meet "the new girlfirend". The first scene where you meet the entire family is just great. Chaotic matery if you ask me.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Hulk & Thor's entrances in "The Avengers"

Jen Con in "Dark City"

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
<Xenafan2233>
posted
Johnny Cage, Mortal Kombat Movie.

Smile Smile

Report This Post