Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Movies    Books turned to movies and ppl cast

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Books turned to movies and ppl cast
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

SCROLLER AND
INSTIGATOR OF
THE MONTH

Scroller and Instigator

posted
This isn't a game or anything, but i thought i;d start a topic on the following things

1. books you;d like to see turned into movies, and who you would like to see play certain or all characters, up to you how in depth you want to go

2. books that are already movies and people who you feel were GREAT choices for the part

or
3. books that are already movies and people who you feel were PATHETIC choices for the part

OK, after re reading all the Anne of Green Gables books, all the way through to Rilla of Ingleside...

I have to say Megan Follows was the best pick EVER to play Anne, in all 3 movies, i hope they make a number 4 and use her.. she is old enough now to play a mother so it's doable.. Smile

Posts: 4830 | Location: Michelle @ work | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

SCROLLER AND
INSTIGATOR OF
THE MONTH

Scroller and Instigator

posted Hide Post
You can then agree or disagree with people, and discuss who you think would be better for the book they mentioned, or just talk about the book you want to talk about..

you don;t have to follow on from what the ppl before have said, but you can also join in if you want

Open thread, as long as it stays roughly on topic.

Posts: 4830 | Location: Michelle @ work | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
posted Hide Post
I'd like to mention Peter Pan. I am a big Peter Pan fanatic, and I'm so delighted to report that the new Peter Pan movie was wonderful. The cast was PERFECT. I honestly can't imagine anybody else to ever play the parts. And not only were they wonderful for the parts but they were wonderful as actors too, with amazing chemistry between every character. I'm very impressed to see such young actors deal with complicated themes and emotions that are not only so new to them (considering their age) but that even many adult actors can't grasp. Altho it's a kids movie, it has a great amount of depth, as it should, just like the original book.

And especially after watching Peter Pan, I came to wonder why they cast just a pathetic protagonist for the Harry Potter movies, when there is clear evidence that there are great actors out there who are of the same age. I really don't think he is a good actor, that Dan Radcliffe. But everybody else in the Harry Potter movies are great... so far, lol.

Posts: 538 | Location: Santa Monica, CA | Registered: 28 July 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Whale Rider was perfectly cast, IMO.

I was also pleased with casting for The Hours, though I was not sure that I would be. I had very definate visions of the characters when I read the book (long before any hint of the film).

Not as happy with the casting of the following books that I read long before they became films:
The Horse Whisperer (can't pinpoint what exactly it was about some of the cast...maybe it was just that I was way into the book and the film version didn't measure up)

The Firm book= yeah! film= bleh!

ooh, good topic! I'll post more later!

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

SCROLLER AND
INSTIGATOR OF
THE MONTH

Scroller and Instigator

posted Hide Post
I hate being disappointed about a movie thats been turned from a book.

I remember as a teenager, i waited and waited for 'Flower's in the Attic' to come out at the movies.. and MAN, it sucked big time..

storyline chnages, all the actors..lol

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Smilia's Sense of Snow was really well cast I thought. Julia Ormond, Richard Harris,
Gabriel Byrne, great cast.

Do Stephen King books into mini-series count? I liked who they cast as Flagg and his buddies and co-horts but the rest of the cast seemed miscast. Frannie was a blonde in the book, a strong character, I just didn't see Molly Ringwald in that part at all. Or Rob Lowe as Nick. They weren't too awful just not right.
(edited to mention I'm talking about The Stand, hey, it was late, i was sleepy,
i can't remember everythi)

I also like the Tony Hillerman books that are made into PBS movies, the Chee/Leaphorn series.
Great casting there too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: xenacrazed,

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
Umm I would like to star off by saying ..
I DONT READ BOOKS!

Its against my religion & stuff. Big Grin

But as for Mis-cast People....

Any James bond except Sean Connery & Pierce Brosnan...were a BIG mistake....

I think Everyone cast as Batman in the Movies (yuk!)...Especially Michael Keaton...

Lord of the Rings...

Howa bout this :

Twin Xenas as Gandalf..YaY!! They're Magically Delicious !!
Ame as Frodo
Hercy as Sauron
XenacraZed as Sarumann
Nora as Aragorn
Argeaux as ..umm Yeah Shadowfax...!
or would it be Shadeauxwfaux..???
Rellik as Legolas
Ulrich as Bilbo
Hmmm Whos dumpy & grouchy & showing his years.. for Gimli...???
*Looks in Mirror*

Naw ..I know .. John Tesh..!!!

Why is it easier to fool the masses than it is to convince them that they have been fooled...?

Posts: 4276 | Location: Bflo,NY USA | Registered: 28 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Salem
posted Hide Post
I nominate Rachel Hurd-Wood as Luna Lovegood in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Posts: 3209 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Obsessive
Picture of KSena
posted Hide Post
I must say that the Lord of the Rings-movies is very well cast. And yes it is one of my favorite-books to.

Another favorite fantasy-trioligy I would love to see as a movie is the Fionavar Tapestry Books by Guy Gavriel Kay. Although I have no idea who would play the characters, but damn! What a movie it could be! Read the books if you haven't done that!

<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>

My LiveJournal: A look inside KSenas mind...

Posts: 1120 | Location: Borås in Sweden | Registered: 30 June 2003Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
Picture of TwinXenas
posted Hide Post
We have just seen "Timeline" (2003) directed by Richard Donner which was adapted from the book, Timeline by Michael Crichton.

We truly enjoyed the book - the details and everything. The movie failed in comparison though the special effects were visually stunning.

Marton Csokas (Borias) played De Kere and he was great.

"Worry is the darkroom in which negatives can develop."

<Jane>
posted
*just dopping in to say*

OMG Moonshade I WOULD love to see those books as a movie!!!!

its one of my fav books. and of course A GOOD Canadian Author. I likehis other books as well, but of course that is the best!!!!!

And the book has such good Characters, and written so well... specially the part about a certain King,Queen and knight Wink

Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
xenacrazed, Smila's Sense of Snow is a great example, I have to agree.

As for Stephen King, Jack Nicholson in The Shining was great casting but he's the only character that I really thing was an outstanding match for the book. Lots are good, but most just eh.

For me the casting of Seabiscuit was just aweful. The book is one of my all time favorites and I couldn't even sit through the movie. That's saying something for me, cuz I can watch just about anything. The only character even remotely close was Bridges as Howard. The rest were atrocious.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Free Madness
posted Hide Post
have to disagree with nouchy about Daniel Radcliffe--well especially in the recent Harry Potter! He was stellar.Big Grin The rest of them are phenomenal too--I LOVE Alan Rickman! I admit, he was a lil weak in the first Harry Potter, and i know him to be a really phenomenal actor. But in this third one he was really more like Snape than he's ever been!

Anyway, what books would I love to see made into movies? Has anyone read The Last Herald Mage trilogy by Mercedes Lackey? If no one has, here, you should, I think many of you would love it! It's pure fantasy.Smile
I think Dan Radcliffe would make a stellar Vanyel at a young age--and Johnny Depp would make a beautiful Vanyel at an older age--Johnny could probably do the 35-year old Vanyel really well, and maybe the 28 year old Vanyel. He'd have to put silver-grey contacts in his eyes but he could do it. Another possibility is Daniel Day-Lewis--he is stellar.(Yes, my new favorite word.:P)
As for Tylendel, Orlando Bloom could do that if he dyed his hair blonde--or Leonardo DiCaprio. Stephan could be done by Elijah Wood; I think he'd be pretty good.
Liv Tyler, Christina Ricci or Keira Knightly would make a cool Lissa; Maggie Smith could do an excellent Savil, with Alan Rickman as Withen(Van's father) and Emma Thompson could do a pretty funny Treesa(Van's mother). As for Moondance and Starwind, I've always kind of seen Patrick Stewart as Starwind and recently, Viggo Mortenson as Moondance. That would be cool, I think.
Ok, got you curious yet? If no one's checked out the books, ya should. They're awesome.Smile

"Even when you're down and blue, just remember that someone out there loves you, even if you don't know it and even if you haven't yet met them. There's someone out there waiting for you, remember that and keep faith. You'll get there."
~~Johnny Depp.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Dreamland | Registered: 06 April 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
I just hated to see this languishing on the last page of the forum.

I'll take a riff from Kate. What about Mercedes Lackey's Diana Tregarde series? I almost think that ROC could do it if she was willing to go brunette...

Posts: 2306 | Location: DFW | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post