Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Movies    A History of Violence

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
A History of Violence
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

posted
i saw this movie on dvd last night. A couple murdering thugs try to take over Tom's (Viggo Mortensen) diner in some small Indhickiana town. Tom kills 'em real dead, becomes town hero and gets the attention of a few out-of-state creeps (Ed Harris, the always brilliant William Hurt). Great performances all around (also from Maria Bello as Tom's wife, Edie) and a low low key direction by David "Scanners" Cronenberg.

i really enjoyed this film but there was something missing. There should have been more discussion on the motivations of Viggo's character. My apetite was whettted for a juicy morality tale and i'm still hungry. Still i recommend it as a rental, and anyone who's seen it, please add your two dinars worth of comments.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
Hi Xc

How ya doin..???

I saw this a whileback at the theatre.
Val likes Viggo ALOT.

I think this got rave reviews I thought it was so-so.
I alos thought Hurt was LOUSY as a mobster

Totally fake.
Hes just too nice a guy to pull it off or maybe tried for an accent he cant do.

Why is it easier to fool the masses than it is to convince them that they have been fooled...?

Posts: 4276 | Location: Bflo,NY USA | Registered: 28 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
heya BrucE

i thought Hurt was supposed to play a lousy inept mobster, i dunno.

But it didn't seem there was enough emphasis on how Viggo's character changed from hitman to fry cook and why. It wasn't really 'a history of violence', more like 'an essay on an outline on maybe writing a history of violence'. Which wasn't bad, just kinda left an empty feeling.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
I liked the film, but agree with xc about the character development. Tom's in particular. I was left longing for a better explanation. What happened some 20 odd years ago? What was so compelling as to cause someone to essentially 'kill' themselves?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post