Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Movies    Walk The Line

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Walk The Line
 Login/Join 
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted
I couldn't see a topic about this flick - sorry if there was one.

I've been looking forward to seeing this as I am a long time fan of Johnny Cash.

It's not really a biopic, as it doesn't take in all the interesting things that Cash did later in his career with television and his alternative albums.

Instead the film focuses heavily on the love relationship between June Carter and Johnny Cash and that's what gives it a whole lot of heart.

Some of the minor characters are a little bit like cardboard cutouts. Apparently the family of Cash's first wife is unhappy with her portrayal, and rightly so. Both her and her father never have a positive thing to say to Johnny, and it rings very unbelievably on the screen.

The heat between the two leads is undeniable. Joaquin Phoenix is spot on with his performance, getting all of Cash's nuances just right - the half snarl, high lift of the guitar and low down drawl.

Reece Witherspoon embodies June with the strength and spunk that turned Cash's head. Her emotion is pitch perfect and I wouldn't be surprised if she grabs herself an Oscar.

On top of this both leads add their own voices to the songs of the film. Fantastic. A real resonance and depth is felt this way and the piece rings truer and cleaner.

There are the usual cliches about the druggy cost of fame, but Walk The Line manages to rise above them and create something new.

Love is a burning thing.

~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
Yeah, sounds good ..
I havent seen it yet ..
as I will probably only go once Im waitin for it to the cheap seats.

Posts: 4276 | Location: Bflo,NY USA | Registered: 28 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Actually, I was very surprised not to find a Breview here already.

I'm gonna see it again with my Dad.

~~~~~~~~~~

Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
Well I finally got to see it.
Very Good & I wasnt even a Johnny Cash fan.

Before this movie that is.

Val enjoyed it too.

Posts: 4276 | Location: Bflo,NY USA | Registered: 28 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i saw it again with mama xc on dvd this weekend. It's most definately worth owning a copy of this flick. Then go & listen to the Man In Black's best-of cd.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Actually I would listen to Cash's Folsom Prison concert after seeing this flick.

~~~~~~~~~~

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
There's a Johnny Cash box set, "Legend", that'd i'd love to have. A 4 disc set of hits and rarities from his entire career. Anyhoo, i need to watch the extras on the dvd, i think they have some footage of the Man at Folsom.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post