Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Movies    Oscars

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Oscars
 Login/Join 
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted
This year was fairly predictable, except for the big award of the night.

Crash? Who saw that coming?

George Clooney did a great acceptance speech but what I REALLY loved was seeing Lily Tomlin and Meryl Streep presenting.

I'm bummed that I missed seeing the hip hop performance and presentation of best song, especially since Jon Stewart kept refering to it.

He did a good job of presenting, I thought. I loved the opening where they kept asking all the other presenters if they were interested, and they all said "No".

A lot of the homage montages were good this year, too. I really liked the film noir one, but then I've always been a fan of that era. Especially Bogey.

Lauren Bacall must've had some of what Elizabeth Taylor had before the Golden Globes, that one time.

The other outstanding speech of the night for me was Reese Witherspoon. Just the right touch of gratitude and sentiment.

Heh - I liked those fake campaigns. I laughed my head off when the elderly lady said, "that's the kind of gal we could ask to do our gardening" and the elder gentleman replied, "but that's all I have!"

Heh heh! Big Grin

Anybody else catch the telecast?

~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
we watched it with pj & her lovely spousal unit E. without satellite, they usually only get the edited version (award presentations only) the next day in the UK, so getting to see the whole thing live was fun for them.

i liked that the awards were all spread out among the various films...i always hate it when there's a runaway. my only complaint was Reese Witherspoon over Felicity Huffman. i have to wonder if Witherspoon could have possibly be as convincing as June Carter (i haven't seen the movie yet...) as Phillip Seymour Hoffman was as Truman Capote, or Jamie Foxx as Ray Charles (both of which i did see & was blown away...). weird how 3 of the last 4 best actor/actress awards have gone to actors playing real life roles...

the opening montage of previous host rejections was hilarious--the Mel Gibson bit kinda reminded me of the South Park ep about him...

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

sometimes, you just have to say 'what the f...'

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
Picture of beauTifully tragic
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2723 | Location: la la land | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i spent the half hr i would have watched The Simpsons (had they been on) watching the first half hr or so of the Oscars. What a bore.

Not as useless as the Grammys or the TV awards but gettin there. Do they really need to give out awards to actors, singers and other entertainers? Especially the wealthy & famous ones? Seems there oughta be a better way to show appreciation with a wider variety of winners.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
i watch them in their entirety every year. there were some really great moments inthis one, and as i said, i was happy about how thw awards were spread around, but there were a lot of just okay moments. the montages (except for the gay cowboy one) were a bore...

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

sometimes, you just have to say 'what the f...'

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Fahrenheit
posted Hide Post
I watched it all this year. I like Jon Stewart and thought he livened it up without making too many dopey "jokes" like some hosts are wont to do.

George Clooney's speech was awesome Smile

I think I can do without the song performances, but at least that was some time to switch it over and watch a little more of the Don Knotts marathon on TvLand (sniffle).

Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
It may seem strange but I never watch this sort of thing.
Im interested in MOVIEs not awards & such.

joxer

Why is it easier to fool the masses than it is to convince them that they have been fooled...?

Posts: 4276 | Location: Bflo,NY USA | Registered: 28 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Reece Witherspoon is actually REALLY good as June Carter.

Heh - the "gay" cowboy montage was a scream! I wonder how long it took them to find all those clips?

~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Prof. Lurker
posted Hide Post
I watched it all, and most of it with the original sound (English) on joxer
I liked the show, the best of these latest years. Except for the music performances, they are almost always boring.
I like the humour in all those 'skets' and montages you mentioned.
Curiously, I haven't seen any of the winners - they are all on theaters here, they just didn't get me interested.

Posts: 571 | Location: Brasilia | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guru
Picture of TiggsWP
posted Hide Post
I loved that Crash won. Maybe it was because that was the only one I had seen....or maybe it was just because I was floored by that movie. I SOOOO did not see those performances coming from those actors. (except maybe Matt Dillon) And is it just me or was this the first movie that Brenden (however you spell his name) Fraiser did well in?