Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Movies    Superman Returns

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Superman Returns
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

posted
Saw Superman Returns this weekend. Or maybe it should be called "Jesus Christ Superman". Every time they refilm him, there seems to be a new angle. Here it's less-Clark Kent, more Superman who's more deity than man or alien.

The movie is almost a sequel to the first two Christopher Reeve pics. Supe's been away 5 years in search of Krypton after some scientists claim it still exists. Wasn't it made clear the planet blowed up already? Anyhoo, he returns to earth and gets his job back at the Daily Planet in his Clark Kent identity. Meanwhile, Lois Lane has a steady guy and a son. Also meanwhile, Lex Luthor is planning something big with the crystals he steals from Superman's Fortress of Solitude.

Original Lois Lane & Jimmy Olson from the Superman tv show have cameos here as the rich heiress and bartender. Brandon Routh (sp) is good as Superman and eerily similiar to Christopher Reeve as Clark Kent. Kate Bosworth is hot as Lois Lane but plays her almost too reserved. Lois is supposed to be spunky. Best of all is Kevin Spacey as Luthor and scene stealer Parker Posey as his girlfriend. The score from the 1978 film is back as is the way they did the opening credits plus Jor-el (Marlon Brando)'s voice & image is reused.

I liked the airplane saving scene and most scenes inside the Daily Planet. i didn't get why they tossed aside the Lois/Clark relationship. i always liked that identity struggle of Clark/Superman in the Reeve films. If there's a sequel to this movie, i hope they downplay the role of Superman as the world's saviour. i'd rather see him trying to fit in and enjoy life and gettin' down'n'dirty with that hot Lois Lane! Overall, i still enjoyed the movie, i'm just picky on super-hero/heroine flicks.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guru
posted Hide Post
I think "tossing away" the Lois/CLark relationship wasn't exactly what they did. They left it open for the second movie (which is inevitable). Her son is Superman's son. They've got to take that and run with it.

Overall it was a good movie. They went retro with it, with a new twist. It was interesting and entertaining. I think it catered enough to the comic fans. You couldn't possibly cater completely to the comic fans, as with any of these comic movies (X-Men 3 proved that). It's just too much work. The story would be all over the place. I liked Superman because they kept it simple.

And of course the original theme song!! Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 281 | Location: the recesses of Hell | Registered: 08 November 2004Report This Post
Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
I saw this tonite Finally..

I was really charged upfor the first part

Peta Wilson was in it!!
NO One told me...
It was great to see her again..
Maybe she should got the LL Part cause Bosworth was a bore....
Man I wouldnt kiss her with XC's lips.... Wink

Hmm.. 'La Femme Lois Lane'...almost has a ring to it...

All in all in a year of NO great movies this was pretty good...

Why is it easier to fool the masses than it is to convince them that they have been fooled...?

Posts: 4276 | Location: Bflo,NY USA | Registered: 28 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Br%cy:
I saw this tonite Finally..

I was really charged upfor the first part

Peta Wilson was in it!!
NO One told me...
It was great to see her again..
Maybe she should got the LL Part cause Bosworth was a bore....
Man I wouldnt kiss her with XC's lips.... Wink

Hmm.. 'La Femme Lois Lane'...almost has a ring to it...

Huh? Peta Wilson was in this? Where? Who'd she play? Confused

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
The Tall gorgeous(drool) blond w glasses giving the presentation on the Plane.
I think it was on the plane..
She has an Ausralian Accent.

It wasnt a big part, unfortunately....

Why is it easier to fool the masses than it is to convince them that they have been fooled...?

Posts: 4276 | Location: Bflo,NY USA | Registered: 28 June 2003Report This Post