Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Movies    Movies you watch when down or stressed
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Movies you watch when down or stressed
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

posted
Do you have films you watch when you're stressed out or feeling down, something to unwind by? C'mon, list 'em here, if so. Please?

i was soooo stressed out last nite after 2 weeks of way too much OT. So I watched Career Opportunities where some guy gets locked in a Target store with Jennifer Connelly all night. This is a rare comedic Jen Con film. Watching Jennifer roller skate through Target and ride that mechanical horse thing was a magic treat to send all the evil stress away.

Other stress-busting and down mood defeating films i can think of now include:

Cheech & Chong's Next Movie
- these guys are so wasted, they have to lift my spirits

School of Rock
- Jack Black rules!

The Unbelieveable Truth
- wordy & arty but i like it's fight outta desperation

any comedy or offbeat film with Marisa Tomei,
she's got that therapeutic voice and look...to me, that is. Smile

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
Hi Xc
Re-watching movies before LotR was a rare thing for me...

Probably 2 of the most re-watchable feel good movies for me are 'Groundhog's Day'& 'Princess Bride'.

But if im in an unshakeable mood.. (usu Frustration)I try something that really just gets me going....

Terminator. T2.T3(very funny IMO) Road Warrior was just on....

Conan the Barbarian stuff.. Tomb Raider...Van Helsing..

always Xena XP.

Edited to add... the 2 Final Destination movies are good rewatches...

But I find doin stuff with Val ALWAYS makes me feel better, no matter what..

Have you been watchin LOST..???
if not its out on DVD (S1) & its just mystifying..
I still have no idea where its going..
And when rewatched there's little clues all over the place in all the older eps.
But clues to/of what..????

Its not Xena XP but its the best thing on TV now in my opinion.

Posts: 4276 | Location: Bflo,NY USA | Registered: 28 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
I like watching High Fidelity (Jack Black does indeed rock) and Eating Raoul.

~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
What is "Lost"? Confused

Old old movies sometimes do the trick, oldies like "Casablanca", "Maltese Falcon", "To Catch A Thief", "North By Northwest" or almost any of the Universal monster movies. Maybe these movies have a certain innocence that's very sorely missing in both life and film these days. Films with meanness and violence for it's own sake tend to bring me down further or make the stress worse. At least for me this happens.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
Princess Bride
Hedwig

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

sometimes, you just have to say 'what the f...'

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of XF3
posted Hide Post
Ever After
Superstar
Adventures in Babysitting

It's not really a movie but pretty much any episode of South Park helps.

-----------------------------
My Space

Posts: 1644 | Location: Blue skies....Michigan | Registered: 24 March 2005Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of XF3
posted Hide Post
sidenote: LMAO...your sig is too funny Zoom.

My Space

Posts: 1644 | Location: Blue skies....Michigan | Registered: 24 March 2005Report This Post
Scroller
Picture of Bambam
posted Hide Post
Certain episodes of X:WP naturally

Bottom always makes me feel soooo much better

Pirates of the Caribbean
Idle Hands
Eight Legged Freaks
Lost Boys
Nightmare Before Christmas

Posts: 16 | Location: Black Country | Registered: 17 September 2005Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of XF3
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah....I forgot Pirates!...That's a good one!...Johnny Depp will cure the blues in a instant!

My Space

Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
LOST is an ABC TV show a few Eps into S2....
Its about a plane crash on a uncharted tropical isle...

there is NO Gilligan there ...Big Grin nuh uh!

Weird stuff keeps happening & it mostly is unexplained....

I see it NOT as a show you figure out (tho maybe a Mad Genius could) but ..
myself I just go along for the ride...
I think its the best thing on TV rite now.....

theres a thread in the TV forum but that GD Home& Away thread keeps anyone from noticing activity in there

Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Salem
posted Hide Post
Hey, you leave Home and Away out of this Razz

I like to watch Labyrinth, Hook, Mrs Doubtfire, Ducktales: Treasure of the Lost Lamp, and last but not least, Peter Pan (2003) Smile

Usually though, I'll just watch some episodes of either Kath & Kim, or The Vicar of Dibley. They help a lot.

Now that it's been mentioned though, Home & Away is also a good remedy to put you in a better mood Wink

Posts: 3209 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
"Lost" does sound familiar, now that BrucE explains it but i thought it was a "reality" show (which i'd avoid "reality" shows if i watched tv other than "Simpsons" & cable, i get enough reality at work- which causes being down and stress).

"Home & Away"? An Aussie tv show, right?

As far as tv shows go, when i'm down or stressed, they make things worse for me with all the commercials and those mini-ads for tv shows that run on the bottom of the screen while the show is playing- i mean, how rude & obnoxious!

Even Xena doesn't help, unless it's most of the first season. Why that is, i have no idea. Maybe when i'm stressed or down, too many regular characters are stressful. Or maybe my mind can't handle remembering more than X&G. Smile

Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Salem
posted Hide Post
An Aussie soap opera, even Big Grin

Posts: 3209 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
Picture of Madogis
posted Hide Post
latest post in the LOST thread: 18 days ago, by zoom

latest best of the rest post NOT in h&a thread: 11 days ago, by me

latest best of the rest post IN h&a thread: 25 minutes ago, by me

perhaps the lack of activity in other threads has less to do with "bumping" and more to do with the fact that people don't post in them...

you know if you click on the thing that says "best of the rest" you can actually see ALL of the threads in the forum. it's a whacky system, i know, but maybe you wanna give it a go.

now then, movies i watch.

uhm..."pokemon the first movie" is pretty good. "dogma" is always good for a larf. and if i'm really pissed off at the world, "secret window" helps me.. uh... work through some things... *hides note book filled with psychotic scrawling and images of death*...

tv shows, angel "waiting in the wings", and buffy "triangle", "i only have eyes for you", "halloween" and "tabula rasa". it's all good Smile

simpsons (especially halloween), futurama, and family guy are always a good stand by.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Madogis,

--------------------------------------

Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
While You Were Sleeping - nothing special, just incredibly sweet and always makes me feel better. Call me corny, but it gives me hope.

Christmas Vacation - a seasonal treat, but timeless. Always cheers me up.

Office Space - I love it!

Blazing Saddles - always

Other fav's are
Hedwig and The Angry Inch
Steel Magnolias
The Princess Bride
The Man From Snowy River
Adventures in Babysitting
Tootsie
Kingpin
Airplane

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
I'd have to think more about it and get back with a more complete list later but for some reason the first movie that came to mind was Rat Race. Not exactly a classic in the traditional sense of the word but it gets me every time. Big Grin

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R. J. Lupin:
latest post in the LOST thread: 18 days ago, by zoom

latest best of the rest post NOT in h&a thread: 11 days ago, by me

latest best of the rest post IN h&a thread: 25 minutes ago, by me

perhaps the lack of activity in other threads has less to do with "bumping" and more to do with the fact that people don't post in them...

Big Grin "We all have our wittle excuses dont we..???

In all honesty I cant think of any kind of compromise that might cause the other threads to be made more noticeable....

Its just that a BIG new TV season has started here... with ALL of the big 3 networks running X-Files-y/LOST-ish sci-fi shows & no one makin a peep about em.(me included)

Im surprised partly because that drivel thats called reality TV resulted in such a Yap fest it made a sane person(me again Wink) wanna Hurl..

I just keep wondering why theres no chatter...

Tho some of these are a bit hard to discuss as the whole idea is that the viewer isnt supposed to be sure of whats goin on.

Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Shinigami
posted Hide Post
Movies:Anything anime, especially "YuYu Hakusho:Poltergeist Report" and "Sailor Moon S: Hearts On Ice". I never get tired of either one, even though the latter is a tear jerker. Frown
But it does cheer me up. Why, I have no clue...
I just got a Tenchi Muyo Movie on DVD! Can't wait to watch it!
Anyway...TV:
"Family Guy"!!!!Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin(Giggety! Giggety! Giggety!) Gotta love Stewie and the gang. It just cracks me up terribly.
"Excel Saga" (anime)
"Cromartie High"(anime)
"The Slayers"(anime...okay, I have them all on tape, but the funniest ones are "Slayers: Vol. 5" and "Slayers Next: Vol.2"...the 3rd episode on there. It cracks me up severely.Big Grin)
"Maze", "Mezzo", "Pretear"(More anime...sorry)
"Full Metal Panic" and "FUMOFFU" (okay, I won't mention any more animeBig Grin)
"Who's Line Is It Anyway?" funniest show that isn't an anime...Big Grin
"Drew Carey"...it's been a while though...
"Dr. Katz", "Home Movies", "Aqua Teen Hunger Force", "The Brak Show", and "Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law"

I think that's it...for now.
So I'm a couch potato. Big Grin

Your Hidden Talent

You have the natural talent of rocking the boat, thwarting the system.
And while this may not seem big, it can be.
It's people like you who serve as the catalysts to major cultural changes.
You're just a bit behind the scenes, so no one really notices.

What's Your Hidden Talent?

http://www.blogthings.com/whatsyourhiddentalentquiz/

Posts: 474 | Registered: 20 September 2004Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Shinigami
posted Hide Post
Funniest Real Movies: "The Breakfast Club" and
"Ferris Bueller's Day Off"

Your Hidden Talent

You have the natural talent of rocking the boat, thwarting the system.
And while this may not seem big, it can be.
It's people like you who serve as the catalysts to major cultural changes.
You're just a bit behind the scenes, so no one really notices.

What's Your Hidden Talent?

http://www.blogthings.com/whatsyourhiddentalentquiz/

Posts: 474 | Registered: 20 September 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guru
Picture of TiggsWP
posted Hide Post
When I'm stresed I watch Xena, not original, but true. I also like to watch the movies I watched as a kid. Expecially the comedies. But I'm more into the TV shows. Babylon 5, Lois and Clark...

Having said that there are things I will not watch when I'm stresed, or down. Example: I will not watch or listen to Bitter Suite,if I am even remoetely ina bad mood. I will not watch any movie or show I really like if I think that whatever mood I'm in, or whatever is going on, will leave a bad association in my head.

And my final, quirk. For me, it is not spring until I have watched Shawshenk Redemption. I'm sure I've watched it other times of the year, but I must watch it during the spring.

Okay, if you've read this far, sorry I got so far off track, I'm having an ADD day.

Tiggs

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i can now add Napolean Dynamite to the ongoing list. It gets funnier with each time watched. Also, Wedding Crashers and Wedding Singer, which is odd as attending weddings is a major cause of big time depression & stress for me.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Adding...

Mrs Doubtfire
Monty Python & the Holy Grail
Grease

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
Picture of beauTifully tragic
posted Hide Post
princess bride
while you were sleeping
christmas story
scavenger hunt
love actually
junior
kindergarden cop
pirates of the carribean

Posts: 2723 | Location: la la land | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Adding to my list: The Aviator which gets repeated a lot on cable now. i dunno why watching this film makes me feel better. Maybe it's the icon bio thing i dig or maybe it's that actress that plays Ava Gardner. Maybe it's the way of the future. The way of the future. The way of the future. The way of the future. The way of the future. The way of the future. The way of the future. The way of the future. The way of the future. The way of the future. The way of the future. The way of the future. The way of the future.

i can always watch TAG: The Assassination Game when feeling down. Anyone else seen this li'l film from the '80s starring Linda Hamilton and Robert Carradine? Only bad thing is that the movie still isn't out on dvd (or vhs). My copy was taped off TBS in the early '90s. Great soundtrack here as well, too bad they never released the music on cd.

Scroller
posted Hide Post
Movies when I'm down.... hmm... almost anything I can recite along with, for example:

Labyrinth, Princess Bride, Little Shop of Horrors, all the Harry Potters, LotR, animated Hobbit and Return of the King, and any Danny Kaye movie with the exception of Skokie.