Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Movies    Memoirs Of A Geisha

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Memoirs Of A Geisha
 Login/Join 
Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Shinigami
posted
I am dying to see this movie. It looks soooo good. Maybe it's because I read the article in Time magazine about it. Maybe it's because I want to see all movies that have anything to do with Japanese culture. Maybe it's because I thought geishas just looked so beautiful when I was a little girl, and I kind of always wondered what it would be like to actually be one. Maybe it 's because I really want that Hello Kitty Geisha doll on a stand. Razz But the point is, nobody will go see this with me. Frown
If I have to see the damn movie alone, I will. Big Grin

Your Hidden Talent

You have the natural talent of rocking the boat, thwarting the system.
And while this may not seem big, it can be.
It's people like you who serve as the catalysts to major cultural changes.
You're just a bit behind the scenes, so no one really notices.

What's Your Hidden Talent?

http://www.blogthings.com/whatsyourhiddentalentquiz/

Posts: 474 | Registered: 20 September 2004Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Shinigami
posted Hide Post
I hear it's a good book, too. I hope to read it someday, when the kids are grown, out of the house and I have a chance to read. evil

Your Hidden Talent

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i def wanna see this movie, tiki, cuz one of the xc wives- Zhang Ziyi- is in it! i've seen most, not all yet, of her movies.

Zhang Ziyi flicks i've seen:

"2046"
"Purple Butterfly"
"The Road Home"
"House of Flying Daggers"
"Hero"
"Rush Hour 2"
"Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon"
"Musa"

Am seeking "The Legend of Zu" & "Jasmine Woman" on dvd. Will see "Memoirs of A Geisha" and "Princess Racoon" when they're released.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Sara
posted Hide Post
I actually want to see this one too. I read the book when I was younger so I'm curious to see how they bring it all to film.

Not to mention that Zhang Ziyi is hot. Heh. Big Grin

I <3 4 foot 11, blonde, operatic wonders from Oklahoma.

There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness

Posts: 2158 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Addict
posted Hide Post
Actually, This is one of the only movie previews I saw in the theatre that I actually wanted to see... (King Kong was the other one i HAVE TO SEE Big Grin). . .But the rest of the new movies look very weak.

Posts: 128 | Location: Currently Las Vegas | Registered: 15 November 2005Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Shinigami
posted Hide Post
I don't care to see how hot Zhang Zi-yi looks in a bikini. It just reminds me of...(*sniff*) how hot "I" used to look in a bikini. Waaaahhhhh!!! Frown
But I do want to watch it even more, since she is one of xc's wives. Gotta support xc, and his harem too. Razz

Your Hidden Talent

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Workin lotsa OT to support that harem. i mean, all those dvds & movie tickets & racing momentos cost lotta mullah. Smile

Guess the movie starts here the week before the upcoming holiday. i be off work & can see it on a woulda-been work nite yay!. Plus "King Kong" will be out then too yay!

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Obsessive
Picture of KSena
posted Hide Post
I read the book not to long ago (translated to swedish). I thought it was marvoulus. I will definitly go see it when it comes to theathers here in Sweden. Smile

<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>

My LiveJournal: A look inside KSenas mind...

Posts: 1120 | Location: Borås in Sweden | Registered: 30 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Sara
posted Hide Post
I went and saw this last night with Keri & KC. I liked it actually. Thought it was great. KC was giggling at the sumo part. Uncontrollably actually. She's 12 sometimes. Razz I thought the story was pretty true to the book. Nice cinematography but I especially liked the musical score. I'm considering picking it up.

All in all, a good solid movie. I wouldn't see it again, but I'd prolly rent it when it comes out on DVD.

I <3 4 foot 11, blonde, operatic wonders from Oklahoma.

There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness

Posts: 2158 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Never did get to see this but might could should buy the dvd when it comes out. Sucks that they passed on Zhang Ziyi for an Oscar bid.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Bought the dvd and saw it tonight. Excellent film. Kind of an old fashioned movie, i thought. Reminded me of those epic movies from the late 60s-early 70s. Zhang Ziyi was excellent, of course, as was the entire cast. Worth renting but glad i bought it.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
I watched it this weekend too. Loved that it stayed fairly true to the book (one of my faves) and agree with all above about the art direction, costumes and score.
I thought that the parts of yound Chiyo and yound Pumpkin were especially well cast.

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Yep, i agree about the art direction, score & costumes. Plus, i thought actress Gong Li almost stole the show as Hatsumomo. Zhang Ziyi's character had a lot in common with Nobu, too bad they weren't closer.

Scroll Guru
posted Hide Post
This was a surprisingly delicious piece of Asian culture, which I loved and will watch again and again! Mmmmm...yummy. Smile

Posts: 281 | Location: the recesses of Hell | Registered: 08 November 2004Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
This film was banned in China because the leads are both Chinese, but are playing Japanese Geisha roles.

~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guru
posted Hide Post
Yeah I had heard that and was quite surprised. As we speak though, I'm watching Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, another classic.

Posts: 281 | Location: the recesses of Hell | Registered: 08 November 2004Report This Post