Scrolls
Amazing Race season 1

This topic can be found at:
https://bingoze.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/464104798/m/433100189

16 July 2005, 10:30 AM
lila997
Amazing Race season 1
So, I just started watching the re-airings of the first season of Amazing Race on GSN (thanks Heitie!). I picked up at the ep when they are in the Sahara where there are 8 teams remaining and I have to say it is interesting. Very cool to see how the show has grown and changed in such little time even as far as camera and shooting choices and challenges etc. The biggest thing I noticed was the absence of host Phil Keoghan at the pit stops. Lots of Phil voice overs but not a lot of real Phil. They had some natives meet each team on the mat and tell them their arrival number. Phil showed up at the end to say bye to the last team but from what I could tell it was at a base camp or parking lot and the team did not even complete the last challenge. Kinda anti-climatic. Was that just something that happened in this ep or did Phil really not go to the pit stops in the first season? I miss the "I'm sorry to say, you're the last team to arrive..." I want people to be Philiminated!!

PS- I dunno who won this season so I am totally enjoying this. It'a all new to me!
16 July 2005, 11:27 AM
XF3
I've only seen the last two seasons so I'm excited to see it. I'll have to catch it Monday if I'm not in too much pain.

-----------------------------
My Space

16 July 2005, 07:07 PM
<Heitie>
I really don't remember whether Phil was there for the pitstops in the early seasons. I was kind of surprised this week to see he wasn't there greeting people. In some of them it looked like he was nearby, but the country representative was doing everything. heh...odd.

I'd like to point out that the clues that first season are clues and not just instructions. Much more challenging and fun to watch, in my opinion. Also they have to find their own flights. I'm hoping they can go back to that soon, since it's not all that interesting to watch people try for one of two prearranged flights that are like 40 minutes apart.

I'm glad you're getting to see it, lila. And you're welcome Big Grin
16 July 2005, 11:49 PM
lila997
I love the clues! And I do remember when they had to find their own flights all the time. That was good. Perhaps I started watching late in season 1 or mid season 2. I started watching when they went to New Zealand and Australia because my dad ( a fan from day one) called to tell me about it.
17 July 2005, 12:47 PM
lila997
Adding also that the teams seem to cut it way closer and make more last minute flight changes in season one. No way they could get through customs and change airlines etc like that now. Season One was played pre 9/11. I wonder how much the increased security measures had to do with the decision to move towards pre booked flight choices in later seasons.
17 July 2005, 01:54 PM
Fahrenheit
I think it probably had almost everything to do with it.
17 July 2005, 09:23 PM
lila997
I agree, Heitie.
Watching another ep now. Look at all that luggage!!!! Eek

By the way, I officially despise Team Guido.