Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Amphipolis Tidings  Hop To Forums  Reality TV    Survivor - Fiji
Page 1 2 

Moderators: xenacrazed

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Survivor - Fiji
 Login/Join 
Ultimate Scroller
posted Hide Post
Well Mookie is out! Don't think he saw that coming!

Posts: 507 | Location: NC, USA | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
Ooooo previews look interesting. Anyone else think Earl looks like an older Erick Dampier?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
*sits back and waits to see if anyone besides me even knows who Erick Dampier is...*

and to answer the question while i wait...
i need to take a closer look at Erick, but i've said all along Earl reminds me of somebody. maybe it's him...

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

sometimes, you just have to say 'what the f...'

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
Picture of beauTifully tragic
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2723 | Location: la la land | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's because Earl has more of a beard now.

I used to think Erick looks like one of Wayans brothers.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
posted Hide Post
Earl annoys the heck of out me. He thinks he's like Lord of all Survivor. Someone kick his sorry butt out of there soon please? :-p

Posts: 893 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 25 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
Good for Earl. Everyone may not like him, but he played a damn smart game.

I was embarrassed for the jury. They looked more like the line up for a Springer show than Survivors. It never ceases to amaze me how every season half the idiots on the jury stand up there and yell at the finalist for doing EXACTLY the same thing they have been doing. Every single one of them plotted, conspired, and or lied to vote someone else off. Ohhh the hypocrisy....

Idiots like Lisi and Alex, well, it makes me feel uncomfortable - FOR THEM. They looked like complete fools. I found it hilarious. Do people really take Alex seriously as an attorney? I think even Jeff was about to light Lisi up. She's nuts.

I still have a slight problem with Dreams keeping the truck, but like he said, it is a game, and after 15 seasons, you would think the survivors would have figured that out.

Yes, Dreams lied about most everything, but Mookie and Alex went through someone else's personal belongings. When did that shit become acceptable? No one has pulled a stunt like that since Jerry accused Kel of sneaking in beef jerky. To me, that's the sort of stuff that should get you kicked off by the producers.

Boo yelling about being a good christian man, blah blah blah blah blah blah - shut the f**k up already! It is a competition. Do these people NOT understand the Outwit part?

I was actually impressed with Stacy, and Rocky too. They both seemed to take it for what it was. And Dreams, like him or hate him, he is one smart son of a bitch. Annoying as all get out, but he certainly was no dumb ass.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
Lisi the Quitter questioning Cassandra's understanding of, preparation for and commitment to the game...????? that's just beyond irony. and Alex attacking Cassandra....i'd understand if he'd light into Dreamz, but what did Cassandra ever do to him? i just wanted to slap the both of them. if i were Stacy i would've told Alex to keep her name out of his mouth. she handled herself just fine without his mouth. who would've thought Rocky would be one of the more rational jurists...

hurray Earl. you deserved it. maybe not as much as Yau Man, but hey. that's the game.

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
posted Hide Post
Yeah Earl did play a good game! I think it was naive of Yau-Man to think Dreamz would keep his word in a game where deception is how you outsmart the other players. On to China!

Posts: 507 | Location: NC, USA | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
I simply HAD to post this. This professor/therapist/talk show host has been writing about this season of Survivor for Netscape and after the finale he wrote this.

Sorry it's so long, but I couldn't get the link to work. I know most of you won't read this, but it pissed me off so badly that I had to share. I pasted the responce I sent in just below the article.

Survivor Fiji: Yau-Man - A Real Man Of Character

Commentary by Peter Andrew Sacco Ph.D. (Psyche Doctor)
May 14, 2007
Before I talk about the conclusion of Survivor Fiji and the bad Dreamz it gave us all, let's look-up a couple of defintions.

Integrity, definition: (noun) Firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values. Incorruptibility. For real-life reference, see Survivor Fiji: Yau-Man.

Judas, definition: (noun) One of the original twelve disciples of Jesus Christ who betrayed him for money. Sealed with a kiss. For real-life reference, see Survivor Fiji: Dreamz.

I could start out by lending myself to a competitive clich� like, "It doesn't matter if you win or lose, rather how you play the game which matters most", but many will assert that's not true of a reality show like Survivor Fiji where one million dollars is on the line with the winner taking all. With that said, I would have to agree with you. I would also disagree with anyone who doesn't believe one's true character is tested, tempered and defined by how they play the game. In reality, that is "real life", the true essence of their being is put on display for others as well as themselves. That is if they've got the moxie and balls to take a long look in the mirror after all is said and done.

This was my first true encounter with Survivor, watching it from the beginning to end. As a matter of fact, my greatest exposure for watching the show came way back when Richard Hatch won the first Survivor. Ironically, I started watching it because my mother had turned me on to it. Now Richard is appearing in "Survivor Bubba and the bar of soap".

Character makes the man.
I must say, the outcome of Survivor Fiji left me somewhat emotional, disappointed and shocked. Keep in mind, I used to have my own practice counseling, I am an author and professor, and I see a heck of a lot on a regular basis. Surprised is something I am not very often. Dreamz's broken promise, which I might add was basically seen by multi-millions and "before God" blew the doors off of me. Yes, yours truly had to scoff down a half of gallon of strawberry frozen yogurt from the next commercial break on. You'd swear I was the one in emotional crisis while Yau-Man handled the entire situation with the truest of grace under pressure.

Right from day one I asserted that in a real-time survivor situation my money would be on Yau and Gary to win. We all know what happened to poor Gary, but Yau endured and plodded on with fortitude, amazing character and class. Each week I kept telling readers why Yau should win and why Yau will win. Even though Yau got totally blind-sided as most of us did with Dreamz's "lower than earthworm" mentality, in my books and it would appear many, Yau was the true Survivor and winner. As a matter of fact, according to the final jury, if Yau would have made it to the final three, he would have won.

Not once during this entire season of Survivor did Yau ever intentionally or even unintentionally hurt anyone. He never lied, cheated, swindled or really, truly manipulated anyone. These are the criterion required to win a show like this and the three remaining members all engaged in these behaviors, some a heck of a lot more than the rest.

Not Yau! Yau-Man was a true gentleman through and through. Yau relied on both brains and brawn (go figure) to make it as far as he did. I think Yau-Man taught a lot of people that it truly is about how you play the game which determines your true character. I think he reminded the world that there are still some really good people out there with character and strength who are amazing leaders and good role models. Any youth or children who watched this show, I hoped they learned from Yau-Man and not Dreamz about what a real man is. What a real person is about!

Dreamz taught children and youth what not to be. A big liar and a cheat! Yes, I know it's just a game. Yes, I know it's just a television show. Guess what? It is reality television and it is "just as real"! I thought Dreamz was absolutely pathetic. At the reunion in New York I thought he was even more pathetic! How do you make jokes about being a louse and screwing not only one man over but many who trusted you? Yes, Yau gave Dreamz the truck as part of his strategy, but he also said he did it as a wonderful gesture because he wanted Dreamz to have a vehicle. And for Dreamz to keep laying his sob story on the tribe, jury and viewers about his upbringing, give your head a shake dude!

There are millions who have it much worse than you who wouldn't sell out their mothers for a loaf of bread! To blatantly use your kid and swear on their life and before God that you would be loyal to Yau-Man and not carry out your promise is first class rank and in some countries will get you stoned! I am glad Boo called him on it at the tribal council. I am so glad Ed, Lisi and especially Alex laid into him and called him for what he was. Do you think he actually got it? I doubt it. Do you think he actually cared? I doubt it.

Let's face it, he shook hands and made promises and gave his word on more than one occasion. He even shed crocodile tears when Yau-Man gave him the truck. Do you think even once he was authentic? Doubt it. And folks, that is coming from him, the man who admitted he played everyone one especially Yau because circumstances are different and that "it's different from the real world". Oh my friend, not so. You see, we viewers all live in the real world and got to watch yours and everyone else's antics. You put yourself under a microscope for the whole world, at least those with televisions to see. We all know what you are about. And to not even offer to give the truck back to Yau after the fact is even more rank! Someone get Dreamz some Febreze!

What's it going to be like in the "real world" Dreamz when you want people to trust you and take you serious? What's that you are telling your boss Dreamz, why you are not going to be at work? Damn, do you think your boss is going to believe you? What's that you are telling your partner? Think your partner thinks you are telling the truth? Hope you don't ever get called for jury duty or to be an eyewitness. I know where your credibility is at! With that said, Dreamz, whether you want to believe it or not, Survivor may be just a reality show, but it's a part of the real world. Whenever you want to be or play celebrity on the big stage, people get to go through your dirty laundry. What you have here is enough dirty laundry Kenmore would even shy away from! The worst part is was that you used your kid! You made promises based on your kid! You said you would follow through on things because you wanted to be an example for your kid. Playing Survivor and being a shark is one thing and acceptable to do what it takes to win, but playing the game based on your child's integrity is just wrong! It was you who said you keep what's in the real world separate from Survivor because they are two different circumstances. Alex bought it at the jury vote and said, "I'll give you that". If Alex would have thought a little more and realized you brought the outside world into this, namely your son, family and God, you played outside the boundaries of Fiji just to dupe Yau-Man. That's just wrong!

In closing, congratulations to Earl. Out of the remaining three, you played the game as closest to real and straight as possible. So you sold out your new best friend at the end for a million dollars, you still won! You did what you had to do to be the ultimate survivor on Survivor!

Peter Andrew Sacco is an established author. His self-help books Why Women Want What They Can't Have and What's Your Anger Type? have become very popular sellers in the USA and Canada.

His new book Fast Food Dating Your 2 Cents is out in bookstores now and can be purchased from amazon.com by clicking on the box to the left.

Sacco is a former television talk show host and current Editor-in-Chief of Vices Magazine. He is also an established professor and international lecturer.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
You are a psych professor and therapist? Pretty quick to judge, aren't you? So explain to me where one draws the lines on the integrity scale? You give props to Lisi and Alex? Lisi, who was ugly and hateful to so many, calling her own tribe "losers". The same Alex who swore he would cause as much strife as he possibly could before elimination. Alex, who went through another player's personal belongings! A lawyer who violated someone's rights and you give him praise for calling out another on their deceit?

You say early in your article, "Right from day one I asserted that in a real-time survivor situation my money would be on Yau..." then right there on page two, "It is reality television and it is "just as real"!" No, professor, it is not. The real-time survivor you speak of would be a completely different show, if a show at all, with the social 'vote out your own' removed completely. I find it funny how quickly we forget that in 'real life' there are people just like Dreamz. Someone who will willingly lie to better their own position in life. Well Doc, I think that is about as real as it gets.

From what we were shown, I too think Yau-Man is a wonderful human being and find Dreamz to be a louse, but to hear you give a show like Survivor such weight regarding the display of social mores is astounding. After 15 seasons, I refuse to feel sorry for any contestant who signs up or any viewer disappointed with the outcome.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Scroller
posted Hide Post
I watched the show from begging to end and i still think yau-man should have won ..He was the most deserving one of the bunch..He kept his word with dreamz.. idon't like it that earl won...

Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
good on ya. i hate It when people try to force TV shows like Survivor into some psycho-moral-social template that just doesn't fit by nature of the fact that HELLO--IT'S NOT REAL LIFE!!!

oh. and i thought it was Mookie who went through Yauman's stuff...

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
Alex was standing right there with him - same thing, in my book.

When will people get it that 'winning' Survivor has absolutely nothing to do with who is the most deserving?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
kinda like American Idol.

and yeah, i fault Mookie, Alex & Edguardo. they were all present for the violation of Yauman's bag...i just hold Mookie slightly more at fault because i don't think Alex & Ed would've gone there on their own. they most certainly when with it once Mookie found Yau's idol, though...bastids the lot of them!!

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

Ultimate Scroller
posted Hide Post
Eh...I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I think almost everything that psychologist said was right on the money. Doesn't it show a certain amount of callousness by the fact that people are saying "this isn't real" in defense of Dreamz's words/actions? When in actuality it is. Otherwise it wouldn't be called a reality show. You can place people in a "make-believe" game/environment. But you cannot say the people are "make-believe" as well.

Whether in a reality show or in the real world, Dreamz proved himself to be a real piece of work. So much so that I was saying to myself "that's some messed up crap" over and over again (whether during the finale or the reunion).

Yau-man really did get screwed over. Majorly. Not because Dreamz went back on his word...but because of every single action Dreamz made leading up to it and even after it. His tear show when Yau was being kicked off? YEAH...big ol' pot of BS right there. Especially because geebus, he put Yau's name down. If you're going to kick Yau in the balls, at least have the decency to write down Earl or Cass. It just showed right in that moment what a "class act" Dreamz is. And therefore no, I have no sympathy for him.

Although I will say one thing in the whole Mookie looking in the bag thing... doesn't anybody remember that Yau did the exact same thing? When Sylvia came back from Exile Island, he hugged her purposely to try to slightly open her bag and peek in to see if she had the idol. Yau can be as sneaky as anyone else.

Survivor is known for sneaky players...players who lie, cheat, etc. But I think Dreamz took the cake this year and showed just how low a person can go.

Posts: 893 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 25 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gabber:
Doesn't it show a certain amount of callousness by the fact that people are saying "this isn't real" in defense of Dreamz's words/actions? When in actuality it is. Otherwise it wouldn't be called a reality show.

I really don't think it's being callous. I think it’s just a matter of knowing the difference between a real world environment and a game show. I also don't think anyone here is defending Dreamz.

I agree that Dreamz is a schmuck, but I say again - to hear ANYONE give a show like Survivor such weight regarding the display of social mores is astounding. Reality TV is real? Reality television is a genre of television programming which presents purportedly unscripted dramatic or humorous situations, documents actual events, and features ordinary people instead of professional actors. The actions/emotions that we see may be real, but it is heavily and not necessarily correctly edited. Production is the key and you can bet the bank that the producers have everything carefully planned out in advance. The fact that you have to "audition" for the damn thing is proof enough.

Sorry, I'm being a bit of a smart ass here but the whole premise for the show is Outwit, Outlast and Outplay.

Encarta Dictionary: English (North American)
out wit (transitive verb)

out wit [owt wit]
1. gain advantage over somebody through cunning
to use cunning or trickery to get an advantage over somebody
2. be smarter than somebody
to be more intelligent than somebody

Regarding Yau and Sylvia's bag - Yau tried to peek into her bag, in the open, in front of everyone. He didn't go through her personal belongings while everyone was gone.

When it comes down to it, the reality of the situation is this: If Dreamz conducts himself in life the same way he conducted himself in the game, the consequences will be far more sever than bumping himself out of a million. Simple as that. As it stands now, the consequences for his actions were that he didn't win the money, he did get a car, he pissed off a lot of peopl, he'll have to overcome the public's initial opinion of him based on what they viewed and he has thousands of idiots just like us debating his bad behavior Wink

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
this idiot's $.02 on the reality of reality TV...

since the A&E "reality" show Rollergirls, i've gotten to meet and know some of the skaters featured. i've learned that one of the skater protrayed as a total bitch is probably one of the nicest, genuinely sweet people i have ever met, and one of the most glorified skaters on the show that came off way cool and friendly is actually quite aloof and fairly unapproachable. and most all of the skaters i've discussed the show with agree that the editing was very creative. four month long scenarios are spliced into the actions of a single weekend, seperate conersations are lifted from context and put together to form an entirely new conversation that never transpired, and so on.

having watched my share of Survivor and other reality-based shows, i've always suspected the editing process was fairly manipulative, for the obvious sake of drama and entertainment. what i learned talking to people who have actually been part of the process is that the manipulation is even more extreme than i imagined...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zoom,

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?