Scrolls
Human emotions, but only female names

This topic can be found at:
https://bingoze.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/526601791/m/4311030012

04 August 2007, 12:55 PM
Brian
Human emotions, but only female names
A short time ago I met a young couple with a new baby girl, whom had been named "Esperanza," which is Spanish for Hope.

Faith, Hope, Charity, Chastity, Prudence, Patience, Sophia (the ancient Greek for "wisdom") and maybe Constance, though I'm not sure that really is the same deriviation as the others... human traits that only females have been named for.

I'm curious why such universal concepts were assigned by sex.

And yes, I realize I think waaaaaayyyy too much about stuff but just the same, I can't help but wonder.
04 August 2007, 02:34 PM
Sara
My thinking would be it goes back to the days when the roles of men and women were firmly established and people went out of their way to keep themselves in that mold. Men are strong, smart, logical, analytical, etc. Women are soft, emotional, intuitive, blah, blah.

While this is true to an extent just because of how our brains are wired differently, it's not how people see the world (mostly) anymore. I think in terms of names, emotions and the gender these names are bestowed upon, it's probably a leftover product of that antiquated notion.

Or I could just be talkin' out my ass. Y'know, that makes sense too.

I <3 4 foot 11, blonde, operatic wonders from Oklahoma.

There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness
05 August 2007, 01:02 AM
xenacrazed
What about Dopey, Grumpy, Happy and Bashful? Those guys oughta count.
05 August 2007, 12:26 PM
Smirk Morgan
Of course there's the many variations of Fidel, Fidelio, Fido that are derived from "fidelity". These usually seem to be male names.

Maybe it's the exception that proves the rule?

05 August 2007, 03:52 PM
Brian
quote:
Originally posted by Smirk Morgan:
Of course there's the many variations of Fidel, Fidelio, Fido that are derived from "fidelity". These usually seem to be male names...

I hadn't thought of Fidel, that's a good point. Perhaps there are other exceptions too, but I can't think of any.
05 August 2007, 05:34 PM
Free Madness
quote:
What about Dopey, Grumpy, Happy and Bashful? Those guys oughta count.

Good point, xc!Big Grin

I never thought of Charity as an emotion, more like something we do? Maybe I'm wrong. I've read "name" books where names actually have a certain meaning, either an emotion or a state of mind, or a trait. It's really intriguing. In fact, if I remember right, John means "pure" and so does Kate.

Appropriate that two people whose names mean the same thing end up marrying each other, although some people would call a "Betazoid" type wedding "unpure"...Big Grin Woops, got off topic...

"Even when you're down and blue, just remember that someone out there loves you, even if you don't know it and even if you haven't yet met them. There's someone out there waiting for you, remember that and keep faith. You'll get there."
~~Johnny Depp.

05 August 2007, 10:41 PM
Brucy Braless
Hay I went to skool with a guy named Greg Anger..Does that count..???

smash
06 August 2007, 07:47 AM
zoom
Ernest...?
Will...?
Stewart, maybe? that might be pushing it...

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

sometimes, you just have to say 'what the f...'

06 August 2007, 01:35 PM
Shawn
Awesome topic Brian, and very well put Sara.

One thing we may want to keep in mind is that we are not familiar with other cultures. We may be surprised to find out that some cultures may do something similar with male names, or that names may not be gender specific at all.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

06 August 2007, 05:58 PM
zoom
Dick...?

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

sometimes, you just have to say 'what the f...'

14 August 2007, 01:26 PM
Shawn
EMOTION sister, not appendage. Wink

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

14 August 2007, 02:31 PM
Failte
Chester...

<When I was just a little girl,
I asked my mother "What will I be?
Will I be pretty, will I be rich?"
Here's what she said to me...
"Honestly, son, don't be such an effin' pansy.">
15 February 2008, 08:19 AM
Argeaux
Why do some guys call their motorbikes, cars and ships "she"?

I've always thought that they see these things as there, at the ready, to serve them, just like their Mummies did.

~~~~~~~~~~