Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Poteidaia Tavern  Hop To Forums  General    When did the Scrolls become your home?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Amethyst

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
When did the Scrolls become your home?
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Sara
posted Hide Post
December 1999. I always felt at home here. It was cool, I'd never belonged to a message board before really. Little did I know when I signed up how much the Scrolls would change my life. Smile

And Argy, I want to touch your props. Big Grin evil

I <3 4 foot 11, blonde, operatic wonders from Oklahoma.

There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness

Posts: 2158 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sara:
Little did I know when I signed up how much the Scrolls would change my life. Smile

ditto that

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

sometimes, you just have to say 'what the f...'

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
Hi Ripley ! Smile

It only SEEMS like it wast hat long ago....

The Potediaia Scrolls started in April 98 or last few days of March. It had only 6-7 threads whenI arrived & my burning Q was where were Rob& Lucy Honeymooning.
It ocurred to me if they came to Niagara Falls & I missed them.I would have commited suicide by Exploding...Big Grin
Im an hour's drive away from there.

They got married Mar 28,1998. So thats around when It started up.
Im not sure of the exact date I showed up,but,it less than a week after the 28th.

Posts: 4276 | Location: Bflo,NY USA | Registered: 28 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
I know what you mena the first coupla months seemed like Eternity to me too...

Alan came about 2 weeks after I did & everyone forgot about me for a while then Ame, Ulrich, Linxi & maybe yourself showed up.

Tom claimed he had a board before that MEEP scroll..If ther wasI never saew it...
So if Ulrich & Herculena I were there it was '98

I first got on the net regularly in late fall 1997.
I had to go somewhere on tuesady,I think,to do it.They used Apple computers. I had an old old Amiga & no clue about how to use it online at the time.

For me the first taste of the internet was so fun it seemed like Id been doing it forever. A friend had shown me some Xena* sites in early '97.
I just had to have more. Smile

Xena Trading Post or something.....

Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
This looks like it....

Roachs Realm

Why is it easier to fool the masses than it is to convince them that they have been fooled...?

Scroll Stalker
Picture of XF3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brucy Braless:

For me the first taste of the internet was so fun it seemed like Id been doing it forever. A friend had shown me some Xena* sites in early '97.
I just had to have more. Smile

Amen, brotha! Big Grin

-----------------------------
My Space

Posts: 1644 | Location: Blue skies....Michigan | Registered: 24 March 2005Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
Heya Rips! Glad to see ya!

I think Brucy is right about the year. April '98. But I don't suppose it really matters. It's all in the "way back when..." realm, isn't it?

Posts: 2306 | Location: DFW | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Obsessive
Picture of KSena
posted Hide Post
I remember how it all worked now, yes... (Moonshade that can't remember a thing... Razz) I bought a Xena-magazine in the US when I lived there between 1996-1997. They had an article about Xena-sites in it, and Tom's Xena Page was mentioned. I checked it out and loved it. And so I went back to Sweden. Started a school there to raise my grades before I started University. They had computer-rooms there where one could sit and check the net at all hours. And I found Tom's Xena Page again! This time, there was a link to a forum to, although it did have sections when I came on... Rest, as they say, is history. I got to know CorXena and SailorMars. To respect Argy and Ame. To laugh at Brucy, Buccaroo and Xenacrazed. To enjoy the discussions... Well, here I am still. Smile

<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>

My LiveJournal: A look inside KSenas mind...

Posts: 1120 | Location: Borås in Sweden | Registered: 30 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:

The original scroll had no sections...just one long area you had to sift thru to find the thread you wanted and you didn't have to sign up, just make up a name and post...which caused a lot of problems, we had a lot of "troll" activity then
That was the original Scroll?

The way a lot of people carry on I thought there must have been another version looooong before that one.

The threads didn't *bump* either, which meant you had to go digging through to find out if anyone had said anything new.

Well, I started on the Scrolls in the Spring of 1993, two years before Xena actually began. We used to chisel everything out on stone in those days and send posts to eachother via carrier pigeon.

I lurked for three years before I posted. So, if you add that three years together with the two years I mentioned earlier that means I was here for five years before anyone else.

Man, those were five lonely years, waiting for other people to show up so that I didn't have to discuss who Xena's real father was with myself any more.

Good times.

~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sara:

Argy, I want to touch your props. Big Grin evil
*sigh* Doesn't everyone?

You people only love me for my props.

~~~~~~~~~~

Besotted Scroller
Picture of Madogis
posted Hide Post
i don't know when the scrolls became my home. it might have been since the first time i posted - i definitely know that the what if thread had me mercilessly hooked from day one.

it all began one fateful day when my good friend salem (well, let's be honest, andrew - i'd never heard of this "salem" person...) was talking to me about this "what if" thread at some place called "the scrolls". the idea of all these crazy what ifs intrigued me, so i got a link from him and started reading up. i joined the site on the 16th of july, 2003.

my first official post came on the 19th of july 2003, on the 17th page of the what if thread. but i think i posted before this.

i was in a thread that i had no business being in. somehow or another, i had stumbled into a private conversation. i don't know what it was about or who it was between, but i quickly fled. if anyone remembers being awkwardly barged in on by a stranger...?

like i said, i was good friends with salem, so when i made my official first post, i wasn't too concerned. i figured that this place had to have nice people or he wouldn't be living here already, and he certainly wouldn't have let me get involved (plus i had a bit of a feeling of everyone from all the what ifs). judging by every post of mine there after, it took a while to settle down (i'm still not sure if i'm entirely settled Razz), but i'd say that i seemed to ride salem's coat-tails to integration almost instantly ^_^

it took a long time for me to venture out of the what if thread so my strongest ties lie within it's pages. salem, heitie and ame seemed to be the most comforting scrollers upon my arrival, and it's probably the same today, although i've managed to connect with a lot of great people since then Smile

(it's very late, so i hope that all made sense...)

--------------------------------------

Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Argeaux:
The threads didn't *bump* either, which meant you had to go digging through to find out if anyone had said anything new.

I remember that! I would come by every week day (didn't have a comp at home), a few times a day and see if anyone had said anything new to the threads I was watching.

I wish I could remember what it was that made me post.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Dream Scroller
Picture of The Troll
posted Hide Post
It seems I've had an ambivalent relationship with these scrolls for about 6 years. Before that, from about 1995-1998, I was alternately running to the Universal Studios board and Tom's board to express my excitement over the show.

In an effort to track down this part of my life I had to look back to some old files, some of my first poems about the show were stored on a disk with a program that I no longer run. It took me all morning to salvage these poems (I had to load the program and convert all the files ;P.) But the time was well spent, because I saved a few good poems that I would have lost forever.

I know that the first poem I wrote about the show was about the rape of Gabrielle by Dahok (but I can't find this poem). I think I posted it on the Universal board though.

Here are two poems that show my ambivalence:

Lurkers (c1998)

a pair of hiding eyes
a pair of silent hands
is lurking somewhere
on the other side of this thread

you've read my words
at least one time
but you left me nothing of yourself
to ease my mind

you hold yourself in
you hold yourself back
tell me, what is it you fear?
or is there something you just lack?

or maybe there is no one
on the other side of these lines
and this message board is just a piece of snot
in the fingernail of time

~~~~~~~~~~
It's Hard to Go Away (10-31-2001)

Mostly I recognize it as a deep grinding
emptiness in my lungs
it spreads to my back
and tries to get me
to get up.

But I don't.

Then I know I'd rather be here than
anywhere else
though nowhere else has called,
I think it might be out there
somewhere.

But I'm here because you know me
you know my dreams
you give them a chance
in a world that doesn't give
many chances

and when I finally leave
I have left myself
scattered in threads
for you to find-

pieces of myself floating
in a living world I've come to call my home.

Dream Scroller
Picture of CorXy
posted Hide Post
i love this thread. Smile

i wish i'd taken and saved screengrabs of all the different versions of the scrolls! ...*sigh*...would be fun to look at them now!

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think Nanzar summed it up for me.

I'm ambivalent about this place and still waiting for it to feel like home.

~~~~~~~~~~

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Sara
posted Hide Post
While the Scrolls have sometimes produced strong feelings for me on both sides of the spectrum, I've always felt at home here.

Maybe cause I don't allow it to be any other way. evil

But that's just me. Razz

And Argy, I want you for more than just your props. Big Grin Wink *rrrrooooowwwrr* Hehe.

I <3 4 foot 11, blonde, operatic wonders from Oklahoma.

There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness

Posts: 2158 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post