Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Music    Non-English Music

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Non-English Music
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

posted
What non-English music do ya'll enjoy? Please feel free to list artists, albums or just a specific type of music if you can't recall any artists.

My latest craze in music is French pop, French rock, French electronica and especially French chanteuses. First I was hooked on the smooth pop/electronica sounds and sexy vocals of Keren Ann. This lead me to other French vocalists such as Françoise Hardy, Brigitte Fontaine and Isabelle Antena, among others (Dumas & Dimitri From Paris are recent finds).

I also have started enjoying Japanese pop/rock/punk/power pop. i'm probably used to some of this from the anime soundtracks but it's the Japanese garage/punk that's my favorite. One such awesome band is Google-A which is soooooooooooooooo good that i can almost cry from happiness at hearing them! Another amazing Japanese band that does a mix of vocals & instrumentals is The Portugal Japan. But the killer band of all time from Japan has to be the Acid Mothers Temple & The Melting Paraiso UFO. These folks are hard rockin' pyschedelic, drone lovin', prolific cd producin' crazies! The Sazanami label recently released a few cds of various Japanese artists, many vocal tunes, that are a mix of punk, rock, and even rockabilly. These are totally magnificent albums. It's too bad they cost so much as US imports.

Then, of course, there's my beloved Afro-funk and all music African. Just finished listening to the new v/a Congotronics 2: Buzz N Rumble From the Urb N Jungle featuring great Congo artists such as Kokono No.1 and Masanka Sankayi. Best of the Afro-funk bunch is Fela Kuti, who sometimes sings in English but i prefer no English from dis man, may he RIP. Plenty of great African music out there needing to be placed on cd.

Normally i like cajun & zydeco to be in English but my recent French craze has brought me to enjoy these genres in French Creole. So now i can dig more recordings from the Ardoin family as well as Buckwheat Zydeco, Zachary Richard and Canray Fontenot.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
Bueno Vista Scocial Club, nad allthe subsequent "solo" albums of the various Social Club artists...

David Byrne's Belize Tropical of the early 90's

Pizzacato (sp.?) 5 is fun

Czech & German polkas...an unavoidable side effect of growing up in a town named Schulenburg...

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

sometimes, you just have to say 'what the f...'

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack's twisted sister:

David Byrne's Belize Tropical of the early 90's

If you like that album, i betcha would love the new comp of Tropicalia music, Tropicalia: A Brazilian Revolution In Sound. Some great Brazilian artists are featured here- Os Mutantes (who sound like a Brazilian psychedelic Beatles), Gilberto Gil (who was also on the Byrne album), Gal Costa, Tom Ze, etc. i love that funky bossa nova sound. Excellent music!

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
thanx for the tip!

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

sometimes, you just have to say 'what the f...'

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
Picture of beauTifully tragic
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2723 | Location: la la land | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i forgot about Shakira. i do like her music (and her). There's a lotta Latin rock from the early 70s i love. Artists like Eddie Palmieri, Mongo Santamaria, Harvey Averne, Ray Barretto, etc. Sometimes they sang in English but i think they really had a better time (and it showed) when singing in Latin.

i found a few samples of the Tropicalia cd at the Soul Jazz site. This album is getting some of the best reviews i've seen in ages for a comp of any kind.

Tropicalia comp

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i've picked up a few magnificent, awe-inspiring comps over the years of psych, folk, beat, rock,
instrumental and other styles from Turkey. Usually these are songs from mid 1960s to mid-late 1970s. Three great v/a comps of such music include Hava Narghile, Turkish Delights and Love, Peace & Poetry: Turkish Psychedelic Music.

Some of my favorite Turkish psych/folk artists include Mogollar, 3 Hur-el, Erkin Koray, Edip Akbayram, and Bulent. But the killer Turkish psych/folk album has gotta be Selda's 1976 Vurulduk Ey Halkim Unutma Bizi. This is a totally fantastic amazing album, i was floored. i love the Middle Eastern groove meshed with a psych beat to her gorgeous pipes with a nice folky feel.

Now turn that american idol crap off and listen to some good world music! Please?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: xenacrazed,

Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Shinigami
posted Hide Post
Jpop! I like Jpop...alot. Big Grin

Your Hidden Talent

You have the natural talent of rocking the boat, thwarting the system.
And while this may not seem big, it can be.
It's people like you who serve as the catalysts to major cultural changes.
You're just a bit behind the scenes, so no one really notices.

What's Your Hidden Talent?

http://www.blogthings.com/whatsyourhiddentalentquiz/

Posts: 474 | Registered: 20 September 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
OOOOOoooo i loves the album, Le Fil, from Camille. She also sings for Nouvelle Vague, who put out a couple albums of French language covers of new wave/punk songs. Some of her songs are crazy but i like that. This should hold me over til Keren Ann releases her next record.

Camille's site English version

Scroll Disciple
Picture of Brian
posted Hide Post
Jennifer Pena
Paulina Rubio, mainly the Pau-Latina album
Pavarotti singing Italian folk songs
Mustafa Sandal did a song Aya Benzer that I really liked, though I've never really heard anything else he's done.
Tabitha MacKenzie did some great Celtic stuff.
There's a Scottish group Old Blind Dogs- they sing in English, but the brogue is so thick it's tough to 'nnurstan mooch...but they're altogeter greaate.
I like Shakira too, especially her early albums. Thalia had some good stuff early on, but her last album was a big disappointment to me.

Posts: 207 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post