Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Music    Disenchanted

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Disenchanted
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted
You were so excited when you bought that shiny new CD. Finally, you could listen to that song any time you wanted, without some idiotic DJ talking over it.

You put it on and leaned back to enjoy. And you did for awhile. Or maybe you didn't.

It sits on your shelf, gathering a thick layer of dust. What is it? What have you bought that just doesn't do it for you? Did you realize immediately or did it just take time?

One day I suddenly realized this album sucked

Blues Traveler Four. Dude, I was so cool. I was way cooler than the other kids in my dorm. They were fixated on TLC, but I had a jam band. A "blues" band. And it had that cool video with the anvilicious Wizard of Oz theme. John Popper was so deep. Or something. They jammed; they were technically good musicians--maybe a little too technical. Every time I hear "Runaround" or "Hook" I feel a little exasperated. Yeah, I still have the CD. God knows why.

Buyer's Remorse

The Cranberries No Need to Argue. This one I kind of suspected on the first listen was not going to be one of my smarter choices. I tried to listen a few times so that I'd give it a chance, but it was no go. While I really still like "Zombie" and "Ridiculous Thoughts" I couldn't tell you one other song on that album. I don't know why I didn't haul that one to the Used CD store and use the proceeds to get a Coke--a small coke.

Posts: 2306 | Location: DFW | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Fever In, Fever Out by Luscious Jackson

I saw this one and remembered liking the single "Naked Eye".

I still like that song, but the rest of the album is like swimming through mercury while sucking on a Prozac milkshare.

Mind-numbingly dull.

~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
Picture of Madogis
posted Hide Post
i'll be honest, it's still early days yet but i'm not loving coldplay's new one, x&y. at the risk of being corny, Y did i buy it??

ah, risked and lost. can't win 'em all Smile

anywho, i made the mistake of buying a cd that i didn't even love the single from. i was just thinking that there might be some burried gold, and even one golden song from coldplay is worth buying a whole cd as far as i'm concerned. sadly i've so far yeilded only pebbles. *sigh*

i don't regret buying the best of INXS, but i don't think i've even played it in it's entirity yet...and i got it for christmas...mostly i've just been stealing the songs i like off it and burning them onto mixed cds. well, that's actually only 3 songs at last count...and i did already have those from older albums...

the best of america. i...don't know...
~ oh wait, yes i do. they did the soundtrack for "the last unicorn" - maybe i was hoping for songs like that. i didn't get them.

the best of talking heads some good songs for sure, but the ones i don't like i REALLY don't like. they scare me. i had to take the cd out of the changer last night Frown. so i don't know if that counts as falling out of love but.. *whimpers*

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Madogis,

--------------------------------------

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i did a sweep of my collection many moons ago & sold back to record shops any cd & lp which i knew i wouldn't listen to again as there weren't enough songs i liked on it.

Nowadays i don't allow cds into the collection unless it meets the xc requirements. So nothing collects dust. But i am easy to please musically speaking therefore the collection is monstrous- monstrous i tell ya!

Some cds like Lenny Karvitz's Lenny was such a total bomb, not a single good song, it went back to shop immediately. i usually always give the cd a 2nd chance, but this one was so bad, i had to remove it from the car player on the way to the store. Still dun understand why it was so highly reviewed by critics.

The Doves Some Cities was so-so, but not enough good tunes to keep it. It just barely failed the grade. i burned what songs i liked & sold the original.

i have, in the past, gotten rid of records i later come to want again. There was a Hawkwind lp i traded many moons ago, i wasn't into that kind of prog at the time. Then i was into that kind of prog recently & bought the album on cd. i've had records in the collection that i had only heard once, not liking it much. Then i'd rediscover it, and go hunt more records of the same artist (ie Mckendree Spring).

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
There's a question I've always wanted to ask you, xc.

Where do you keep all your CDs, and how do you keep track of them all?

~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Argeaux:
There's a question I've always wanted to ask you, xc.

Where do you keep all your CDs, and how do you keep track of them all?

A room that takes up about a third of my basement is the music room where i keep all my lps, cds, music dvds & all music memorabilia . The lps are on shelves along the walls. The cds i keep in cardboard boxes on some really large shelved carts in the middle of the music room. Both lps & cds are filed in alphabetical then chronological order by artists. Soundtracks & various artists records are seperated and filed in alphabetical order. The various artists cds take up more space than anything else. Ack! i need more room.

i keep three different lists for keeping track of the collection. The first is a list in chronological order of every lp & cd i buy. Any extra info about the record is written here- if it's a rarity & why, import from where, original version vs a reprint and which year reprint, etc.

The 2nd list is by artist in a ring bound folders. It's in alphabetical order though not every artist has a seperate listing, only if i own 4 or more of their records. There is an alphabetical miscellaneous section for all records by artists with 3 or less records, soundtracks & various artists comps.

The 1st list records are numbered in order & that number stays with the listing in the 2nd list. I do this in case i'm looking for a record and maybe i only recall when i bought it or when i bought it & what letter the name of the artist begins with.

The 3rd list (which i'm very behind on in keeping updated) is a list of songs on the soundtracks & various artists comps. If i can't find a track/artist listing of the record somewhere online to print, i type out a copy of the track/artist listing for the folder. I used to keep a list of songs from soundtracks/comps in alphabetical order by song title but that became way too difficult to keep updated.

I'd like to have software where i could keep all this info but i'd have to hire someone to enter it all! I like how the All Music Guide keeps track of records, artists & songs, which is where i print a lot of comp listings from, as well as CD Universe & amazon.com.

Thanks for asking this, Argy!

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
Picture of Madogis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Madogis:
i made the mistake of buying a cd that i didn't even love the single from. i was just thinking that there might be some burried gold, and even one golden song from coldplay is worth buying a whole cd as far as i'm concerned. sadly i've so far yeilded only pebbles. *sigh*

i found it!! i found the gold!!! Big Grin

the secret song, track 13 - i'm running through the x&y album a couple of times to get used to it, and everytime it hits track 13, i replay that song about 3 or four times before i'll restart the cd again, lol Big Grin. the rest of the album isn't SO bad...but it has none of the charm of "parachutes" or "a rush of blood to the head." the song "talk" has potential...

anyway, i'm happy now, having found my coldplay gold. i can all it 20 bucks well spent Big Grin

--------------------------------------