Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Music    The iPod has landed
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The iPod has landed
 Login/Join 
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted
Well, I've finally got my iPod.

I'm amazed at how quickly you can load entire albums to this sucker. Much faster than my MiniDisk. The sound quality rocks, and I love that you can maintain your sound files in an MP3 format.

I checked out the remote controller I also ordered and it works a treat. I was able to soak in the bath last night, plug the iPod into some mini speakers, and adjust volume and track with no problem.

I'm glad I also ordered a USB cable, as I don't think I would have been able to connect my iPod to my PC otherwise.

The iTunes software works well. It's very easy to catalogue everything. GraceNotes is suprisingly effective at retrieving track details, as well.

So far, I give everything a big thumbs up. Don't think it will be long before I have my entire CD collection downloaded, and I start transferring some of the songs from my vinyl and tapes collection to the iPod.

~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Cooooool! I want one, i want one. So are you gonna sell your cd's after they're downloaded, hmmmm?

I dunno much about iPods. So you can really download songs from Lp's? There's so much on vinyl that hasn't or may never make it to cd. *puts iPod on his electronics gizmo want list*

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
It's not as easy to transfer vinyl to iPod as it is to MiniDisk.

With MiniDisk you can just plug into your stereo, play your LP or tape, and record it straight onto a minidisk in the player.

With iPod it's that whole dealio of plugging your stereo into your computer, and recording songs into MP3 format.

Both methods take about the same time. The difficultly of plugging your comp into your sound system is the big drawback with the iPod, whereas the fact that MiniDisk converts music to a format other than MP3 is the problem there. Otherwise you could record straight to MiniDisk, then transfer the files to your comp/iPod.

I'm in two minds about getting rid of all my CDs. That was my original plan, but I'm not sure what happens with the iPod once the battery wears out. If I can still get the songs of it, I will chuck my CDs. If it turns out that I can't, I'll have to hang on to them.

We need to hear from iPod-owning mons, at this point.

~~~~~~~~~~

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
I've been meaning to buy a MiniDisk system but I heard there would soon be a very similiar but much better technology replacing it. I haven't heard anymore on that since last fall.

Thanks for the iPod iNfo! Is the battery to be replaced after so much usage?

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroller
Picture of Saily
posted Hide Post
I got my I Pod Friday and after a day and half i got all my cds on it. I don't think i will get rude of my CD's just in case it crashs or has an accident, which happens with electrics i own.

It's great to be able to listen to what ever i feel like, without bringing all my cds with me.

The down side is that the battery doesn't last as long as my cd player which lasts about 40 hours. It can go about 4 hours (full volume) before the battery gets low.

But at least the volume is loud enough.

I kinda like mine.

Harry seized one of the POTTER REALLY STINKS badges off the table and chucked it, as hard as he could, across the room.
It hit Ron on the forehead and bounced off. 'There you go,' Harry said "You might even have a scar now, if you're lucky...that's what you want, isn't it?"

Posts: 39 | Location: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry | Registered: 25 June 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
Picture of beauTifully tragic
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2723 | Location: la la land | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
That's the one I've got.

The 40G.

~~~~~~~~~~

Besotted Scroller
posted Hide Post
i thought the new one came out this week Confused

anywayz.. i'm seriously thinking about getting one

Scroll Guardian

SCROLLER AND
INSTIGATOR OF
THE MONTH

Scroller and Instigator

posted Hide Post
I don't know nothing about iPods, but maybe it came out here first?

Posts: 4830 | Location: Michelle @ work | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
posted Hide Post
could be.. or maybe we're having a misunderstanding

i do have a question though..
when you order/buy an iPod, do you have to order all peripherals separately including headphones?

Scroll Guru
Picture of mons
posted Hide Post
*droooool* Knocked out of ipod trance*

did someone need IPOD ASSISTANCE? Wink *ipod cape flapping in wind*

this is a love affair that will never end! Woo-hoo! You have an ipod. I'm sure the more you use it... the more you will understand my sick love for this 6.2 ounce beauty... of lust... he he. *ahem*

Anyhoo... to address your question/comment about the battery. The ipod has a one year warranty that will cover a defective battery or a worn battery, but it should last for way longer than that. If you are not getting a sufficient full charge out of that bad boy, you would consider sending it in. If you get the two year apple warranty, (extended coverage), it will cover you battery that much longer.

Otherwise--a replacement means sending it in and getting the battery replaced by them and only them--$99 will cover it.

thing number two. if the battery dies, it still is in the hardrive, but just like a laptop or ccomputer, when you send it in--no matter how safe--, there is a possibility that you may lose all your info. i've decided i'm going to back up all my music, just like i would with regular files, onto cd in MP3 format, or whatever format is smallest that way i will have something just in case. cause NOTHING would suck more than having to buy all that stuff again. But i will be keeping a few CD's just because i like the lyric sheets or the art, you know. I really think its a perosnal decision whether one should discard all their music. I myself like security blankets. Wink but imagine still.. you can fit like 160 songs on one CD... that's almost 16 albums. it would save a lot of space. Big Grin

OH! did i say i got the car adapter thing to play it over the radio? I love it!! yeeeaaahhh!. it's like my own personal radio station where ever song that comes on is followed by my saying "OH! I LOVE this song!"

mons

ps... i converted another youngin at work to our ipodian ways... our family is growing. i think an ipod is worth saving for. and even if it takes a long time... you will just be biding time to more improvements like this new click wheel you see in the latest generation.

scrollers do it standing up...

Besotted Scroller
posted Hide Post
nevermind i found my own answer

btw.. i believe the G4 ipod is supposed to play for 12 hours on a full charge (not sure what it would do at full volume tho)

Scroll Guru
Picture of mons
posted Hide Post
mine is an "old" 30 gig... had i known about the 40.... well, i don't want to get into it. anyhoo, mine is lasting about 8 hours on full charge and volume. you can elongate your battery life by using playlists instead of fast forwarding and rewinging songs. like when i use the remote consistently, i think i only get 5 to 6 hours.

*flapping cape falls impotently* sorry i was late for that answer Tudamncommon. i went off for no reason then, hu? *ahem* Smile anyhow, I wish i had that 12 hour charged one. an extra four hours is always appreciated. Smile

mons

scrollers do it standing up...

Besotted Scroller
posted Hide Post
if all goes well (and the fedex site is right), i should be getting my iPod by the end of the week Big Grin

Ultimate Scroller
posted Hide Post
What are all the different kinds of ipods available at the moment?

I'm thinking of getting one, but i don't know which to get. Or.. is there a better model coming out soon that i should wait for?

Posts: 538 | Location: Santa Monica, CA | Registered: 28 July 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
posted Hide Post
look here http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html

there's the iPod which comes with either 20GB or 40GB
and there's the iPod mini (which comes in several colors) with 4GB

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Here's the Aussie site: http://www.apple.com.au/ipod/

I dunno know what to tell ya, T, but I've had my 40G iPod since May.

I need to take it into a service centre - I'm only getting about 2 hours out of the battery. Apparently you can also join a battery replacement program for some extra bucks, so that you can get your battery replaced when it runs out.

I've got the radio transmitter for the car, and also a wireless remote control. Both very handy.

One thing to note - if you are using your iPod with a PC you need to order the USB connection seperately. It doesn't come with any of the models.

Other stuff like ear phone remote control, docking station, leather carry pouch, etc. is included with some models, but not others.

I also got a rubber iSkin to protect mine, and I can't recommend that enough.

I'm really enjoying the whole iPod experience (apart from the battery thing).

I'm a convert. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add: my iPod is the one second from the right, in Tam's pic.

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
I ALSO forgot to add that I got the free laser engraving on my iPod. Big Grin

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
I was curious about the release date for the 40G iPod, so I looked it up.

This site has it as the 8th of September, 2003.

You can also see from some of the user comments on that site that people were receiving it around that time.

~~~~~~~~~~

Ultimate Scroller
posted Hide Post
Thanks... Smile

Argy, would u say your ipod was worth the money?
How much did u get it for?

Posts: 538 | Location: Santa Monica, CA | Registered: 28 July 2003Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
posted Hide Post
In that picture posted here, which ipod is which? i guess the colored ipod is the mini ipod. But aren't there only 2 other models - the 20GB and 40GB one?

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
I don't know what the model is that's on the extreme right of Tam's picture. The mini is on the extreme left and my 40G one is second from the right. I'm assuming that the other one is a 30G.

The best thing to do is to go to the Apple web site and look at all the ones they have there.

I think the iPod I bought was a little expensive. It was over AU$500. I was lucky enough to get it from my family for my birthday.

If you don't have a huge CD collection I would go for the mini. It can hold 1000 songs (which is still quite a lot) and I believe it's about AU$200. Again, go to the web site to find out exactly how much they all cost.

~~~~~~~~~~

Besotted Scroller
posted Hide Post
ok let's see if i can clarify Smile
the 40BG that argy has is the 3rd generation iPod (2nd from the right in the picture)
the 40BG that i ordered is the 4th generation iPod (2nd from left in picture with no buttons above the click wheel) which was recently released at $399 US
the iPod all the way on the right is either the 1st or 2nd generation iPod

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that makes more sense.

They are bringing out new generation iPods alla time.

Betcha they do a 50G or more, in the not too distant future.

~~~~~~~~~~