Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Music    The Burden Brothers

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Burden Brothers
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted
Ah, remember the days of the Toadies?

No?

Well, okay maybe you just weren't cool enough. Or maybe they were only big in Texas and Oklahoma. Anyway, take my word for it, they were f***'n awesome. I lurrrrved the Toadies and I never got to see them live. They broke up a couple of years ago--not long after a squandered opportunity I'd had to catch a show.

Fast forward a few years and Toadies' lead singer Todd Lewis (now insisting his first name is Vaden-and maybe it is) gets together with the former drummer from Rev. Horton Heat and forms the Burden Brothers. The local station plays Beautiful Night and I go check out the short mp3 samples on the website and think--oh yes. This is worth catching. In early December, they had a show scheduled and yet again...I missed it.

So finally children, I get into the Venue....a dingy little hall that has operated under many a different name. As I approached the door a couple of band members were hanging out in the parking lot and greeted the patrons enthusiastically. When I suddenly remembered something in my car and turned around to go retrieve an item, they called out to me, "You're not going, are you?" I appreciate that attitude in pursuit of fans. That attitude that says, "c'mon, just get in there, have a beer and we'll do the rest."

All of which would mean nothing to me right now if it weren't for the fact that these guys put on a great show. They come out full of energy and rocking hard. If you've ever wondered if three guitar players should be on stage at one time, the answer is hell, yeah. This is not the Toadies, but it's pretty damn good. My only beef is that I would have preferred a longer set. I guess it takes a couple of years to build up a catalog. I'd have loved just one rendition of Possum Kingdom or Away, but I applaud Lewis for not relying on his old hits. "Raise your hands, you one and onlies", and join the band as they down a couple of beers during the drum solo.

The current tour schedule takes the band through the Midwest, Louisiana and Texas through April.

The Burden Brothers

"You grow up the day you have your first real laugh, at yourself."

Ethel Barrymore

Posts: 2306 | Location: DFW | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post