Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Music    Music on dvd: concerts, videos, films

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Music on dvd: concerts, videos, films
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

posted
So many music related dvd's being released these days. They're finally releasing vintage concerts from long ago as well as compilations of new indie bands at an amazing rate. You can watch a fave artist in concerts through the years, catch a band playing in a movie based around them or simply view various video clips of one or several artists. I haven't tapped into the music dvd field as much as I hope to so here's a thread where anyone can recommend or dis whatever music related dvd or vhs they've seen.

Let me start with a compilation of hip hop, trip hop and electronica (more of the latter two than hip hop) called Zen TV Ninjatune Recordings. Ninja-tune is the best label for electronica & trip-hop, imo. This dvd showcases their top artists in real classy video clips. Check out the clips from Coldcut, Mr.Scruff, Herbaliser and Funki Porcini. There's a mix of the real and animated clips here and a very good assortment of music for the uninitiated. I first heard many great electronica artists when watching this dvd, so I can highly recommend it.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i finally finally watched Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE dvd. There're 2 dvds- a concert and a documentary. The docu behind the history of the "Smile" cd was excellent. Since i've got to meet a few of the ppl in Wilson's band (including Wilson himself), it was extra fun to watch. The concert was cool, i need to watch it again in one viewing.

If you're not a Brian Wilson fan or fan of his era Beach Boys, i doubt if you'd like it. But the documentary is worth seeing for any fan of pop culture or 60's music or rock'n'roll history.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
I saw Where Is the Chesterfield King? the other nite. This features the great 80s gargage/punk band, The Chesterfield Kings. The Kings are one of the top surviving bands from that era still recording today. Mark Lindsay of Paul Revere & the Raiders was in the film but even that couldn't save it. The "plot" had to do with aliens wanting to learn rock-n-roll by kidnapping the band. My cat could have written a better script! Worse of all, there was very little music from the band in the movie. The extras featured them performing only 4 songs. The quality of the footage & sound were atrocious. They'd been better off just filming videos for their songs.

Another garage band from the 80s has a dvd out as well, The Fuzztones. I hope they've done better and i'm gonna research it before i lay out money on a rental dvd. The Fuzztones must've been an influence on Jack White. He's got that same crunchy punk guitar sound they were going wild with 20 yrs back.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i found a used, dirt cheap copy of Boz Scaggs Greatest Hits Live on dvd. It's not bad, not great, like something you might see on PBS. The stage lighting cast too many shadows & the music was slower than i'd expected. But i've always liked Boz Scaggs. Not a dvd worth buying less you really like Scaggs or find it dirt cheap but worth seeing if it's on PBS or cable.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Here's a cd/dvd i recommend: Bruce Springsteen Born to Run 30th Anniversary Box Set. There's two dvd's plus a remastered version of the "Born To Run" cd inside a cd-size LP cover (like the original "Born To Run" album, complete with gatefold). One dvd is a making of the cd documentary. At the end of that dvd it features Bruce in concert from 1973 singing 3 songs. What a hoot to see him on stage at age 23. The other dvd is a full length show from 1975 at Hammersmith Odeon in London. Bare basics performance, really filmed well, this is worth the price of the box set. Best musical dvd i've seen this year. Great holiday gift for any Boss fan!

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i love the band Supertramp and when i read about a double dvd set filmed during their vintage years, i was thrilled. But Inside Supertramp 1974-1980 sucks! Buyer beware!- this is not what ya may think it is. The alternate title to this is An Independent Critical Review. So what they present on these short dvds (no wonder it sold so cheap) are some not-well-known critics giving their views on Supertramp songs while we see portions- excerpts of Supertramp live. No full length, uninterrupted songs. Just possibly 20 seconds of a song before the critics come on screen and give their opinions. Bleeeech! What a waste of dvd, why not show the full length Supertramp concerts?

Scroller
posted Hide Post
Hi, So many words you said !! You are so lovely!

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Are ya flirtin' with my wife, bub? Jen is lovely, ain't she now? Zhang Ziyi is another wife, so is Meg White and Danica Patrick and Keren Ann (she hasn't been introduced to the scrolls yet, she's an international woman of mystery, a French chanteuse & a mighty fine singer yes indeedy dandy).

Keren Ann, xc wife numero 5:

"oui oui, i married ze xc, a cretin xc be..."

so. bill. what music on dvd do you like?

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Nobody else watches music on dvd? With all that thar music dvds to rent at yer local video store?

Finally got to see Wattstax for the first time last week. This soulumentary was relased on dvd last fall (with extra songs both included and excluded from the original theatre version). As i own both the official "Wattstax" soundtrack and the 3 cd UK release "Music from the Wattstax Festival & Film", i had hoped for much more concert footage than was actually featured in the film. What was shown was a mix of stage music, live performances from other locales, on-the-street interviews, as well as the comedicgenius of Richard Pryor. The clothes may be outdated but the music never is. My favorite clips: The Bar-Kays "Son of Shaft", Luther Ingram "If Loving You is Wrong (I Don't Wanna Be Right)", Rufus Thomas "The Breakdown" and Isaac Hayes "Soulville" (plus the song that started the film, The Dramatics "Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get"). Very enjoyable film, even if it should have had more stage scenes