Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Music    Do you play an instrument?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Do you play an instrument?
 Login/Join 
Ultimate Scroller
posted
Subject and Topic Lead says all.... Smile

-----------------

Posts: 538 | Location: Santa Monica, CA | Registered: 28 July 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Yup.

Flute, guitar, piano, drums, tin whistle, harmonica.

I've been known to sing a bit, too. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~

Who did you think I would be? - HA! - well you got me instead. Wink

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
posted Hide Post
Wow, you're talented Argy!

I play violin, recorder, a fair bit of piano and a tiny bit of geeetar. And yeah, i like to sing. I'm not great at singing but i'm not bad either.

-----------------

Posts: 538 | Location: Santa Monica, CA | Registered: 28 July 2003Report This Post
Warlord Scroller
posted Hide Post
I played guitar for about 20 years in a band. Mostly hard & blues rock. The style was ranging roughly between Thin Lizzy and ZZ Top.

tuned Cool
The Xenatizer

Posts: 314 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 July 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Sara
posted Hide Post
Hmm, I can play the trumpet, baritone, trombone, french horn, and yes, even the tuba. I learned to play all brass instruments in high school.

I can play most woodwinds, except the oboe, bleh. The flute was prolly the worst instrument for me). Yup, practically all woodwind instruments, except oboe and the bassoon. Cause heh, who plays the bassoon? Wink

I also can play piano and I'm learning to play guitar as we speak. Smile

I'm a big music dork, except I can't can't can't sing. Heh, I can admit it. Wink Big Grin

I'd like to learn to play strings someday but one thing at a time. Smile

I offer no apologies for the things that I believe and say
And I like it that way

I am extraordinary
If you'd ever get to know me
I am extraordinary
I am just your ordinary average, everyday scene psycho

Posts: 2158 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Fahrenheit
posted Hide Post
I plays da bassooooooooooon Smile

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nouchy the Mighty:
Wow, you're talented Argy!
I didn't say that I play any of them well. Wink

~~~~~~~~~~

Who did you think I would be? - HA! - well you got me instead. Wink

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
I was a trumpet player from the fourth grade through the twelfth. In junior high, I played the baritone during marching season.

I can pick out a melody on the piano, but that's not playin'. I tried the guitar once. It sneered at me. Really, not even a gentle sneer.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.

P.G. Wodehouse

Posts: 2306 | Location: DFW | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

SCROLLER AND
INSTIGATOR OF
THE MONTH

Scroller and Instigator

posted Hide Post
Where's Wildywind when you need her..lol

I can play keyboards, about 2 chords on the guitar and can still play mary had a little lamb on the recorder.. *G*

========================

Dawn: It was like a meat party in my mouth! ... okay, now I'm just a kid and I KNOW that didn't sound right.

Posts: 4830 | Location: Michelle @ work | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
posted Hide Post
Why yes, I do indeed. I love music, listening to it, playing it, or making it.

I played the alto horn (E flat horn) from 4th to the beginning of 7th grade. My band teacher didn't want to deal with transposing all the songs to my instrument so he convinced me to play baritone both years of junior high. In 8th grade, he even tried to convince me to play tuba, but quite frankly, I didn't like the fact that I had to learn bass clef so I stuck with baritone. My best friend played flute, and I always tried to learn how to play it ('cause I think it has such a beautiful sound and I've always wanted to include a flute melody line in my songs) but alas...I could NEVER figure out how to pucker up my lips just right.

I know a bit about guitar. I started learning how to play when I was in 10th grade, but unfortunately, it's just too big for my hands to play correctly. I stopped playing when I realized that I could not for the life of me play any chords that required me to hold down multiple strings with one finger across...simply because I seem to have the hands of a 2nd grader. I swear, I think to effectively be able to play, I need a child's size guitar 'cause regular ain't workin'. Even recently, I pulled it out and I can play great with the chords I already know...but then the song I was writing required a chord with my finger all the way across and well, *smirk* that was the end of my guitar songwriting days apparently. Razz Which sucks, 'cause I love guitar and I love singing to it...really does a lot for my voice. It's the one instrument I've always regretted giving up, but with the hands, I really didn't have a choice.

Alas...piano is my forte. I can't play like Tori Amos or something, but maybe I sound a bit like Sarah McLachlan. I love writing songs on it mainly...and then occasionally playing songs that are not my own.

So I'm musical, just not THAT musical. Wink

~Gabber

"If she knocks on my door
I'll give her the key
Just one look in her eyes
And I know I'll be
Everything that she sees in me
All that I never thought I could be

But these are the days
When all that I can do is dream
But I don't want to spend forever living in the inbetween
I'm stuck here in a place without love
And I can't just let it stay this way
But for now I've got to face it
These are the days..."

Posts: 893 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 25 June 2003Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Jubs
posted Hide Post
I sing, a lot. Like, really, a lot. I love to sing. If I ever get my crap together I'm going to decide on being a voacl music major. I just have to find a peice to audition with and i'll be in.

I play guitar enough to be able to play songs I want. I totally have really small hands too, Gabber So I actually play a guitar that has a smaller than normal neck. It's nice.

I play piano pretty well. I have to be able to play to practice singing.

I used to play violin and cello. I was pretty good at violin, in my time, cello sucked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The hottest thing this side of Epworth, Iowa.

Posts: 920 | Location: Iowa, USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Disciple
Picture of XexyWarriorGoddess
posted Hide Post
yes,I do play ideed.I play bass guitar,acoustic guitar,vocals,drums,harmonica,tamberine(it's harder than you think to play a song on that thing),a little piano,recorder,bongos(yup,lol,you heard me right)and steel drums.

That's my story!

=============================
Now if only I hadn't lost that key to the World's Mass Destruction Kit.....
We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible.

Posts: 243 | Location: Oblivion,Center of the Earth | Registered: 25 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Salem
posted Hide Post
I don't play any instruments at all. I was only ever in the choir in primary school and I never sang solo, I was always just part of the group :P

I can, like Ame, play Mary Had A Little Lamp, but on the Piano.

All of you musical people should form a band and go on tour Smile

---------------

Posts: 3209 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Gabber, you should play the Ukelele. That's what I started on before the guitar.

~~~~~~~~~~

Who did you think I would be? - HA! - well you got me instead.

Dream Scroller
Picture of Rellik
posted Hide Post
I used to play the piano, I cant read music anymore, but the last songs I had played , sit me down infront of the piano, and I can do them. with some difficulty.. but they always come out.

Posts: 410 | Location: canada | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

SCROLLER AND
INSTIGATOR OF
THE MONTH

Scroller and Instigator

posted Hide Post
I can also play Mary had a Little Lamb on the piano..lol

Also The Can Can *G*

========================

Giles: You think I'm evil if I bring a group of girls on a camping trip and DON'T touch them??

Posts: 4830 | Location: Michelle @ work | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
posted Hide Post
Jubs – did you have to get one of the child size guitars in order to do that? Or is a special kind of guitar? I'd been looking at child size guitars, but they seem so small compared to a regular size one...so what is it you use?

Argy – hehe, at this rate, it may be the only thing that'll work for my hands. Wink

~Gabber

"Don't worry
You will find the answer if you let it go
Give yourself some time to falter
But don't forgo knowing that you're loved, no matter what
And everything will come around in time

You'll find yourself you'll find yourself in time..."

Posts: 893 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 25 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller Extraordinaire
Picture of Opus1EJC
posted Hide Post
Attention on deck.
Music Educator on the scean.

My main instrument in violin, been playing since I was 7. Trumpet is my secondary instrument I played it all through college.
As of recently I am a member of the Elastic Waist Band (EWB) where I play violin/trumpet and a variety of other 'toy' and 'percussion'

NEway, that is my two cents.

opus

"If God created me in His image, I have more than returned the compliment."

-- Mrs. Betty Bowers

Posts: 90 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Disciple
Picture of XexyWarriorGoddess
posted Hide Post
whoa!watch out! music educator comin through!come on people!step lively!

Shall I pull out the red carpet,your eminence?*kneels before her,kissing her feet*

Now if only I hadn't lost that key to the World's Mass Destruction Kit.....
We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible.

Posts: 243 | Location: Oblivion,Center of the Earth | Registered: 25 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
I started playing the clarinet in the 4th grade. In the 5th grade, I switched to oboe. In 7th grade, I picked up percussion. In the 8th grade, I played... and this isn't a joke... tuba. I could also play the trumpet.

I can't play a darn thing now. Heh.

Posts: 764 | Location: Buried under a pile of school books... | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Air guitar, air drums & air keyboards. No wonder i'm such an airhead!

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Free Madness
posted Hide Post
I play me vocally chords! Muahahhahha!Big Grin
I also play piano quite well altho i'm no sightreader, I don't make a practice of sitting down and learning music altho i should, it would make me better.Wink I do a lot of ear playing and of course I compose.Smile I do play guitar too, and I'm not bad, but i'm WAYYYY outa practice. I used to be pretty good at it, not that i was a big lead player, mostly acoustic and rhythm, but i was pretty good. LOL, Gabber, bar chords are NOT my favorite thing either lol! I would always write my music for chords that didn't require bar chords, hence a lot of my songs were in e and a! lol.
I also do the harmonica, not real well but somewhat ok. I have a dolcimer and i dinker around with that, but it's in bad shape so i mostly just keep it around for decoration.WinkBig Grin

Anyways, I'm a pretty good musician but not NEARLY as good as xenacrazed it seems! Never could master air instruments. I tried, but i just couldn't get a handle on them.WinkBig Grin

"Even when you're down and blue, just remember that someone out there loves you, even if you don't know it and even if you haven't yet met them. There's someone out there waiting for you, remember that and keep faith. You'll get there."
~~Johnny Depp.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Dreamland | Registered: 06 April 2004Report This Post