Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Music    First record you owned
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
First record you owned
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

posted
So what was the first record (cd, lp, 45, cassette, etc) that you got, whether you bought it or not?

My firsts-

Lp as a gift- Boris Karloff reading some spooky stories (but he left off "The Night xc was Hatched"!)

Lp i bought- "Killer" Alice Cooper

45 single as gift- what's a 45? It was- i think-"Hawaii 5-0" by the Ventures. I still have it woo-hoo!

45 i bought- uh, i think it was Elton John's "Rocket Man" or something by Paul MacCartney.

First cd i bought- "Born To Run" Bruce Springsteen. Bought it right after buying my 1st cd player. The lp of "Born to Run" actually sounded better than the cd, to me anyway.

First cassette- casswhat? It was Pat Benatar's first album. Cheapo cassette didn't last very long either grrrrr.

So what are your firsts? Can't be any more embarrassing than mine.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Sara
posted Hide Post
first lp was Santana, it was sweet

Never had a 45, but I remember a song about rockin' on the 45. Does that count?

first cassette was Paul Simon and Fleetwood Mac, I was 8

first cd was Phantom of the Opera original London cast recording

I <3 4 foot 11, blonde, operatic wonders from Oklahoma.

There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness

Posts: 2158 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Salem
posted Hide Post
Okay, showing my age here, but no LPs or 45s for me :P

My first cassette (or at least, my first memory of getting a cassette) was the soundtrack to Disney's Peter Pan Razz I guess you could call it a gift, as I was little with no money of my own, so I'd assume my mother or father got it for me. I probably threatened to hold my breath until I got it Smile

Now, as for CDs, I don't really have a big collection, so I'm pretty sure my first was the Original Xena soundtrack.

Posts: 3209 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Both of my parents were huge music collectors as teens so as a child I had access to tons of 45's and Lps that belonged to them. My first musical memories are of their music (Fabian, Elvis, Ike & Tina Turner,Streisand, Everly Brothers ...)

The first 45's that I remember owning were "Rock the Boat" by The Hughes Corporation and "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" / "Knock 3 Times" by Tony Orlando & Dawn. They were gifts. I was probably 6 or 7 at the time.

My earliest LP memories are of Julie Andrews in the soundtrack to the movie "Mary Poppins" ( I played it every night to go to sleep to), Harry Chapin's "Heads or Tales" as well as one of those K-Tel compilation albums with all of the "hot hits of the day" on them. I wore it out playing "Brandy " by Looking Glass (still a fave of mine!)and "The Night Chicago Died" over and over again. I think it was called Music Machine. I can picture the album cover now!

My first cassettes were probably homemade -taped from the radio. I also had Billy Joel's The Stranger on cassette pretty early on.
Coincidentally, the first CD I ever owned was Billy Joel Live Concert from Russia. I'm not even a big Billy Joel fan. Weird.

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
ah--The Stranger in an old favorite...

my first 45--(dare i admit it...)Puppy Love by Donny Osmond. in my defense, it was a gift.

my first LP--an odd collection of "cowboy & Indian" stories told in song. i remember a very trippy cut that was Indian legend...The Legend of Crystal Rock...

my first 8-track--an imported copy of AC/DC's Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

my first cassette tape--Meaty, Beaty, Big & Bouncy by The Who

my first CD--Flight of the Cosmic Hippo by Bela Fleck & the Flecktones

great thread

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

sometimes, you just have to say 'what the f...'

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lila997:

My earliest LP memories are of Julie Andrews in the soundtrack to the movie "Mary Poppins" ( I played it every night to go to sleep to), Harry Chapin's "Heads or Tales" as well as one of those K-Tel compilation albums with all of the "hot hits of the day" on them. I wore it out playing "Brandy " by Looking Glass (still a fave of mine!)and "The Night Chicago Died" over and over again. I think it was called _Music Machine_. I can picture the album cover now!

Ah weren't those K-tel comps amazing! One of my earliest lp's was "Believe in Music", a K-tel hits infested album which included Cher's "Gypsies Tramps & Thieves", Hollies "Long Cool Woman", Donny Osmond's "Go Away Little Girl" (lol), Dr. Hook's "Sylvia's Mother" (awesome!) and, of course, "Brandy" by Looking Glass. Wasn't "Brandy" on every K-tel comp back then? Smile

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roller derby hooligan:

my first 8-track--an imported copy of AC/DC's _Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap_

my first CD--_Flight of the Cosmic Hippo_ by Bela Fleck & the Flecktones

ah forgot 8-tracks. My first was a gift, gifts, the "We're An American Band" Grand Funk album and something from Three Dog Night. The first 8-track i bought was either by Jim Croce or Linda Ronstadt. It was always funky when a song would fade out & then replay as the cartridge switched sides or whatever it did. But with Three Dog Night, what difference did it make? Smile

Oh yeah Bela Fleck! Yee haw!

Besotted Scroller
Picture of Madogis
posted Hide Post
i don't think i've actually owned a "record" as such, but i have been bequeethed my mum's david bowie album, "changes one". score Smile

if i had to say the first cassette tape, i think it might have been something by "girlfriend". they were so cool Smile

first cd...um..........this is one of those things i promised myself that i'd never forget by now i've forgotten. i want to say matchbox 20, "yourself or someone like you", but don't hold me to that. i resisted cds for a long time.

--------------------------------------

Ultimate Scroller
posted Hide Post
what are LPs or 45s???

Posts: 538 | Location: Santa Monica, CA | Registered: 28 July 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Free Madness
posted Hide Post
Ok I am SERIOUSLY feelin my age here! rotfl!
The first LP i ever owned was Free To Be You and Me by Marlo Thomas. I wore that sucker out. I think my first actual "45" was some christmas song, Good King Wenseslas or somethin sung by some kiddie performer like Burl Ives or whatever.(i don't think it was Burl tho, lol).

First LP I bought with my own money--I think it was Bruce Springsteen's Greetings from Asbury Park. GADS I'm foggy, takin this memory lane trip!Big Grin But I'm almost positive that's the one.Smile

First 45 I bought was Bruce's Pink Cadalac.Smile

First Cassette--I remember that well. It was Springsteen's The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle. That turned me into a Bruce-a-holic for the rest of my high school career and the result is I did not sing opera seriously for 12 years.

First CD--I believe that would be Ferron, and DAMNED if I remember the name of it! CRAP! It was phenomenal, it had a song called "Circle" on it,(or something about a circle) and was full of great earthy type songs, but I don't remember now cuz I left it at stoopid ex boyfriends house 8 years ago!Mad But one of these days I'll find it. It came out in 1993 or something and she opened for the Indigo Girls during their concert then, and they were selling the CD at the theater. She's phenomenal. What a freakin voice!

Well that's my foggy recollection.Big Grin Now will someone please bring back lps and 45's for these poor degenerate people who missed out on all the fun?Wink

"Even when you're down and blue, just remember that someone out there loves you, even if you don't know it and even if you haven't yet met them. There's someone out there waiting for you, remember that and keep faith. You'll get there."
~~Johnny Depp.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Dreamland | Registered: 06 April 2004Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
LPs are "Long Playing" vinyl disks, that have a whole albums on them. The first part of the album is on one side and to hear the second part you flip the disk over, and put the needle on the second side (hence why side two is also called the "flip side").

45s are vinyl disks that only have a single song on each side (we call them "singles" in Oz). They have an A side and a B side. The A side is the hit song. The B side is often rubbish.

In Oz we actually only call singles 45s if they have a big hole in the middle, slightly larger than a 20 cent piece. If they have the smaller hole we tend to just call them singles.

Not sure about the US.

~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
First 45 I got was called "Take a walk on the wild side". I thought it was the song by Lou Reed, but it turned out to be a cheesy 70s gospel number by a group of church choir lads. Boy, was I disappointed!

The first vinyl single I got was "Turning Japanese" by the Vapours. It's still one of my favourite songs.

First album I got was "Arrival" by ABBA. Coincidentally, the first casette I got was "The Best of ABBA".

The first CD I got was "Fijian Melodies", which contains traditional Fijian songs.

First thing I recorded onto my MiniDisk was "Stop Making Sense" by the Talking Heads.

The first thing I burned onto my iPod was "The Bitter Suite". Wink

~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

SCROLLER AND
INSTIGATOR OF
THE MONTH

Scroller and Instigator

posted Hide Post
oohh, i think my first single i got was turning japanese.. hehe

my first casette i got was a compelation tape... 'summer of 81' (or maybe 82) *S*

Posts: 4830 | Location: Michelle @ work | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
posted Hide Post
thanx argy

Posts: 538 | Location: Santa Monica, CA | Registered: 28 July 2003Report This Post
Scroll Nightmare
Picture of Cora
posted Hide Post
hmm ok My First '"Record" was the Sound Track to the Muppet Show

The first Tape I got was a set of Sharon Lois and Bram songs

(I am going to have to go for the parents bought those ones lol)

The first cd... well I am not 2 sure. it could be one of many cds but most likely it was some cheesy music that I regret ever listening to, or it was some Celtic type music that I bought for Dancing.

We do have tons and tons of LPS from my parents Collections. several hundered in fact, and I remember listening to them when I was a kid and had to sit still so we wouldnt knock the needle. lol

Posts: 428 | Location: Canada | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dances With Ferrets:

Now will someone please bring back lps and 45's for these poor degenerate people who missed out on all the fun?Wink

Hey, they still make LP's and 45's. I bought me a brand new lp last week by a funky French band called M83. Also got Shaggy's latest on vinyl & some punk band called The Mooney Suzuki. Lp's sell pretty good round here especially among college students.

Got a few 45's recently too. Though some of them are more like EP's than 45's. They're the size of a 45 but they play at 33 1/3 RPM
speed. If you like garage-punk & surf instrol bands, they release a lotta good stuff on 45's & EP's these days. Oh yeah, EP = Extended Play.
Smile

Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
Shaggy's latest on vinyl & some punk band called The Mooney Suzuki

i was recently introduced to Mooney Suzuki. man, you can really hear early Who in their sound. early Who & early Stones....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zoom,

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

sometimes, you just have to say 'what the f...'

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
K-tel albums! I had a couple of those - LOVED THEM! I tried to find the one I had, but can't - man, I can see the cover too.

Check out their new site - you can create your own disk from their library K-tel

To tell the truth I can't really remember my first LP, probably something Disney - maybe Jungle Book. 45 was Bert & Ernie's wonderful rendition of Rubber Duckie. My fist cassettes were home made from 8 tracks. Aerosmith - Toys in the Attick and Ted 'The Nug' Cat Scratch Fever.

For the record - no pun intended - my favorite LP was and really still is The Ventures - Golden Greats. Damn, I loved that LP.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
Picture of beauTifully tragic
posted Hide Post
not sure what my firsts were, but this is what i remember owning

i also had the 'free to be you and me' record.. still have two copies (don't know if they play)

45s - something by heart, the thompson twins, scandal's the warrior, nena's 99 luftballons

8 tracks - none

cassette - Grease soundtrack

cd - can't remember

i have owned and do own too much music to remember what i bought first
i have a box of records and 3+ towers of cds

Posts: 2723 | Location: la la land | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Legend
posted Hide Post
Heh....my first record was "Puff the Magic Dragon"....give me a break, I was 9, OK? Razz The first cassette I owned was "Sports" by Huey Lewis & the News. I thought Huey was HOT. Smile It's still one of my favorite albums today.

FEAR THE SWINE

Posts: 144 | Location: NC | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dances With Ferrets:
The first LP i ever owned was Free To Be You and Me by Marlo Thomas.

I stand corrected. I think this was mine too. I am pretty sure I had it before "Mary Poppins".
Ahh, memories!

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
<mons>
posted
My first LP was MJ's Thriller

My first Cassette tape was.... MJ's Thriller

My first CD was Thr.. no.. it wasn't Razz it was MJ's Dangerous

My first import was MJ's Blood on the Dance Floor.

Okay... the first after the MJ phase:

Cyndi Lauper - cassette
Alanis Morissette - CD
John Mayer - CD
Norah Jones -CD

it's kinda of weird being out of the MJ phase. used to be all i needed. hm... wierd...

mons

Report This Post
Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
Well I suppose Im coming to this a bit late joxer but as I really dont much bother with music anymore,I rarely come to this forum.
Wink

I got my first Lp washing my big brother's Car.. he's 8 years older than me so I was maybe 12 when I acquired a wee collection.

I think the first album was Disraeli Gears by Cream... but it might have been The Doors by I forget who. Big Grin

Needless to say I began to beg to wash his car.I got more Doors & some Beatles this way.He ran out of unwanted records long before I ran out of ambition.

The first one I purchased my-Own-self was Machine Head by Deep Purple it was playing in the Sattler's{lone gonelocal dept Store} I was workin in, so I bought it.Might have been with my first paycheck.

I dont recall my first 8-track I had some Yes & Tres Hombres by ZZ topI might have bought a buncha stuff when I bought the car 8-track.

I came late to cassettes...I suspect it was Canned Heat & Otis Redding that made me want something else to put in my carafter the 8-track when belly up.

I bought my first music Cdmaybe 2 years ago....
It was a Steve Miller Band...Best of or something I think.
I suspect it was made from Low grade MP3s downloaded from the net.
I have never purchased another Music CD.

Just this year {Spring '05} I bought the Xena DVD collection & a DVD Player.
That is all I owned on DVD right now...
Tho I think I can get Val to burn me the LotR trilogy if I ask nicely.

Buy it you say..??

I m NOT a Capitalist & prefer subversive means to spending money on over-priced stuff to make the filthy rich anymore filthy or anymore rich.

No Im not a long-haired hippie type pinko fag neither.Just for the record. Razz

Posts: 4276 | Location: Bflo,NY USA | Registered: 28 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brucy Braless:

I got my first Lp washing my big brother's Car.. he's 8 years older than me so I was maybe 12 when I acquired a wee collection.

I think the first album was Disraeli Gears by Cream... but it might have been The Doors by I forget who. Big Grin

Needless to say I began to beg to wash his car.I got more Doors & some Beatles this way.He ran out of unwanted records long before I ran out of ambition.

BrucE-

i have some leftover LP's & Cd's i'll give ya if you wash my car, move some big rocks from the front yard to the back yard, move some dirt from dirt piles to fill low spots in back yard and dig a drainage place on the westside of my driveway. i'll even burn ya some cd's of your fave artists if you cut down some nearly dead trees.

thankees
xc

Scroll Tragic
Picture of Brucy Braless
posted Hide Post
AH, if only I was 12 again....
Big Grin

Why is it easier to fool the masses than it is to convince them that they have been fooled...?

Posts: 4276 | Location: Bflo,NY USA | Registered: 28 June 2003Report This Post