Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Music    iPod and iTunes

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
iPod and iTunes
 Login/Join 
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted
Anyone own an iPod or bought any iTunes?

What did you think? Are there any disadvantages?

I'm intrigued.

~~~~~~~~~~

Who did you think I would be? - HA! - well you got me instead.

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guru
Picture of mons
posted Hide Post
i own an IPOD! HARVEY AND I ARE IN LOVE!! Harvey is the name of my iPod, and i do love it. every single damn song i own is on that thing. when i had a CD player i had to choose what cd's to take, and they took up so much room, and what if my mood changed from happy to sad? and all i have is my happy music? or the other way?

I've put all my music. I've also put some of my favorite comedians on it so i can listen to their stand up! I have 18 lessons of elementary Japanese on there too! so now i can say things like "you want to have drinks at my place" in japanese. i can't write it yet... but i'll learn! he he.

It also keeps your iCal stuff on it. you can store documents and use your iPod like a portable HD. the battery life is about 8 hours. you can make different play lists, you can assemble them without the computer. you can select all your music and shuffle by songs, album or artist.... i think it's pretty cool! i love it.

Downside? i would have to say that the only problem is you can't replace those batteries. when it goes kaput... your iPod is down for the count too. i would suggest the Apple Care Plan. the only additional battery pack is so damned big, it's embarassing, it's almost as big as the IPOD!

when you hook up the "remote" they give you, it only has the real BASIC options like play, pause, ff, rewind, and stop. and when you attatch it... it makes the cord from the earphones to the ipod like 5 million miles long. andthe lip attatched to it doesn't clip!
Sony used to have the coolest one that looked like a 2 inch long 1/2 inch round tube with a lit blue LCD screen that scrolled the song you were on, and had the controls, it was cool.

but i love it. it always keeps me company!

as for itunes. i haven't doen it yet. cause i want to pay off the card i plan to put it on before i squirm further into debt.

mons

I LOVE HARVEY!!!!! *ahem*

"I never understood the whole 'no cruel and unusual' punishment thing. If it's not cruel and unusual, it' not punishment." - PFJ

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Another question (I hope someone is still reading this).

Did you put any music on your iPod that you didn't already have on CD? Things like casette tapes or old vinyl records?

If so, how did you do that?

I noticed while browsing today that there is a smaller battery pack for the iPod. Basically it takes a couple of A4 sized batteries, and just clips to the iPod. Maybe that could help you out?

I have a SONY remote control but I bet that it won't plug into my iPod (when I finally get it). I have a hunch that stuff made by SONY and stuff made by Apple might have been made deliberatly incompatible.

Oh well, I've just have to struggle with the supplied remote.

Thanks for the feedback, mons. You confirmed what I already suspected - iPod rocks!

~~~~~~~~~~

<mons>
posted
No. All my favorite Tape Cassetes I bought again in CD form. It was a lot of replacement over time, but it was worth it. Besides, cds are starting to come with all sorts of extras stuff.

Yeah, that's the battery pack i was talking about. It is big! But i mean, when your battery supply die! as in no good, worn out, broken--whatever. your ipod is no good. you would have to carry a battery pack around all the time--if it would still work.

The cool thing about the ipod is that it works off of regular plug in headphones. i use sony ones right now. as for the remote? i'm not sure, maybe it would work? its worth a shot.

Okay, as for vinyl and cassette. i had a guy come into my store the other day... he wanted a plug in for his radio to his computer. if you have a radio with an output into a computer like option, you could use it as a translator into WAV files and such. i haven't looked into it. but it is completely possible--i think. Wink unless i'm just being really imaginative... which i doubt.

mons

ps--i pod rocks!!

Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
I have taped old vinyl into wav files on my computer just by plugging the Hi Fi into the comp.

It's doable, but time consuming.

Shame you can't just plug the iPod straight into the Hi Fi, like you can with the MiniDisk.

I hadn't thought about the battery on the iPod eventually wearing out. So, you would eventually have to get another iPod and then upload all the songs off the old one back onto your comp and then onto your new iPod? Doesn't sound TOO difficult. How long do you think the iPod lasts before the battery is stuffed?

~~~~~~~~~~

<mons>
posted
Well, you are working off Windows. So i'm not 100% sure, but on my Mac you have iTunes, right? and when you plug in your iPod, the ipod dectects all the changes on your computer--new albums/songs play times, deletes, anything and takes them in, and the same thing goes for the comp, it takes all the playlists you've made, and all the play counts you've changed and downloads those into your comp.

I have a friend with an ipod and no comp. She and i have the same music tastes... BASICALLY, so i have a lot of her cd's loaded. When we first set it up, i had already loaded like a 1000 songs. I took her ipod, placed it in the cradle, and in a couple of minutes her ipod was loaded with EVERYTHING i had done: play counts, playlists, songs--all of it! It's really fast. On the other side... if you only have 20 gig on your comp, but a 40 gig ipod.... that's all you can load on your ipod- 20 gig. but, you don't have that problem! but i guess you could say it goes the otherway around too... if you have 80 gig of music, but only 40 gig ipod... then... ummm... i don't know what happens.

how long do i think it will last? I don't know. I wondered myself. I think it could last some 4 years with heavy constant usage. Once again... i would suggest the apple care plan. maybe they will let you upgrade if it "breaks". Wink

I don't think you can plug it directly in, but i hadn't thought of it. i know there are all sorts of accessories. have you shopped around the mac store at www.mac.com? there are other vendors that supply accessories for the pod... belkin and umm... other people. Razz

have i mentioned... i LOVE the pod... Big Grin

mons

Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
iTunes is compatible with a Windows PC. I have a PC.

Check.

You need Windows XP for it to work with your computer. That's why I got a comp with XP on it.

Check.

It's not available in Australia yet.

*string of bad words and expletives*

~~~~~~~~~~

Scroll Guru
Picture of mons
posted Hide Post
You can get iTunes for your pc, but the ipod also COMES with MusicMatch for the PC. i don't know how MusicMatch works--but it's for PC users. iTunes was made to capitalize off mac's online dowloading mega money maker! but it does still come with pc software! you can get itunes later! buy one buy one buy one buy one... and when you do. tell me when you have it! so i can feed off your energy... mmmm....

did i just make sense? he he... this is fun... i wanna a fellow ipod user! you know... 4 people at my work have it, we all bond! me and another guy converted two other guys. it was coooool. they were going to get dell or the nomad ones.. i was like "nooooo you must". it was like ipod peer pressure!

mons

scrollers do it standing up...

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
I don't think I posted very clearly above.

You can't get anything like iTunes or MusicMatch in Australia, at the moment.

Sucks.

You can even go and download the iTunes software onto your computer but, when you go to buy a song, it tells you that you can't unless you have a mailing address in the US.

By the way did I tell you that I've gone ahead and ordered an iPod? I got it customised with free engraving, too. It should arrive here in a couple of more days, but I'm not allowed to have it until my birthday in late May.

My family are going to get me some accessories as well - a tuner to play my iPod through the radio, a holder for my car, a funky skin, a USB connector and a remote control.

I intend to have fun with this little system and, don't worry, I'll keep talking to ya about it for a looooong time, monise! Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~

Warrior Scroller
Picture of Herculena
posted Hide Post
I did try iTunes and had nothing but compatibility problems and demands to download tons of proprietary software or submit way TMI about myself. I mean, if I'm going to buy the song, isn't just creating an account and charging it enough? Do they have to know my bra size and everything? Sheesh! Eek

Posts: 335 | Location: East Hallelujah!, IL | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
<Argy McBargy>
posted
Hmmm, interesting.

*makes mental note to add What is your bra size? to the Scroll sign on information* Wink

Report This Post
Warrior Scroller
Picture of Herculena
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Argy McBargy:
Hmmm, interesting.

__*makes mental note to add _What is your bra size?_ to the Scroll sign on information*__ Wink

That should get some interesting answers, especially from male scrollers!

Posts: 335 | Location: East Hallelujah!, IL | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guru
Picture of mons
posted Hide Post
yeah. it does suck to become a part of the dowloading itunes family. and sometimes you download a song, and it doesn't come in flawlessly. yup, there can be problems! messed up sound... pauses and such. i mean, i don't know my specific bra size, it depends on where i'm buying. Victoria secret puts me in a much larger cup, but walmart, i practically get a training bra! so if your bra size isn't reported correctly, the music will be distorted. yeah....

mons

scrollers do it standing up...

Warrior Scroller
Picture of Herculena
posted Hide Post
What if Victoria's Secret doesn't carry my bra size?

What if I put a bra on my sig pic?

What if...
...waitaminnit, wrong thread!

What if iTunes and Windoze would just agree instead of making it harder?

Scroller Needing Therapy
Picture of Fahrenheit
posted Hide Post
What if iPods are beginning to sound more and more interesting?

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
What if the best thing about iPods, as far as I can tell, is that you can put your entire music collection on them?

What if that means you can play any song at any time anywhere?

What if you can even get an adapter to play your iPod through the nearest radio?

What if that means that you can play your entire music collection through you car, your home stereo, in the bathroom, etc?

What if that means you may never need to buy another player again?

What if, well not for a while, anyway?

What if I now go "aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" from the mental strain of thinking about it all?

~~~~~~~~~~