Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Music    Local bands/artists you like

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Local bands/artists you like
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

posted
It's always fun to dig the area bands and singers. 'Round this sleepy li'l college town, i like these performers-

The Mary Janes (alt-country/Velvet Undergroundish)

The Impossible Shapes (Guided By Voices/Beatles go indie pop). Their newest cd is excellent.

Roses For Kitty (alt-jazz folk rock)

Carrie Newcomer (indie folk). I've seen her a few times in concert, she's should record a live performance.

So how about the rest of ya'll?

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
The local music scene is slowly dying around Sydney.

In the 90s I used to love Smudge, the Hummingbirds (who had strong afiliation with the Lemonheads), and the Clouds. All sort of folky/poppy/alternate bands.

Stella One Eleven is probably my fave Sydney band, at the moment. They are sort of pop/soft rock. Think really good Luscious Jackson.

~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of XF3
posted Hide Post
Our brewery has bands come in friday nights so I am lucky enough to get to listen to a wide range of differant stuff.

Madison Greene- an AMAZING very large band. Very tribal celtic feel. I am soooo wanting them to come back. So is everyone else I work with.

Exit on Cumberland- the lead singer works as a server at the brewery and has played there a couple of times. Their cover of Breakfast at Tiffanys is awesome. They sound really good live.

-----------------------------
My Space

Posts: 1644 | Location: Blue skies....Michigan | Registered: 24 March 2005Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
I remember the Hummingbirds! I loved their "Love Buzz" cd. Gonna have to listen to that again soon.

I love tribal celtic music, though i don't have anything on cd. *mental note to get some*

Two bands i like from Indy- which is just 50 miles from my town of Bloomington- are the Shivers and Destination:Earth. The Shivers is like '60s Brit pop with a modern alternative feel. Destionation:Earth is surf instrumental and one of the best surf instro bands in the world imo (they're similiar to Man Or Astroman in style).

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i gotta promote a local record label, Secretly Canadian. Some good artists on board, i know some of the folks at the label as they graduated from the record store scene to the record label scene.

Here's a link & there's some mp3's there to enjoy-

http://www.secretlycanadian.com/home.php

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Wow! There's a great new indie rock band from Indy, Margot And The Nuclear So & So's. Their new album actually was released last year but is now reissued & remixed for a proper, larger reissue this month. The Dust Of Retreat is the greatest debut cd from an indie rock band that i've heard in many, many years. And they's from Indhickiana! The lead singer isn't Margot, there is no Margot but this is great music. Here's some free downloads and samples and whatnot. Check their site for a video.

Margot And The Nuclear So & So's music

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Downloaded the MP3 and am listening to it at the moment.

Nice. Thanks for the link.

37 band members?! Confused

~~~~~~~~~~

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Glad ya liked it, Argy.

37 band members? i thought it said 8 members. i knew the Polyphonic Spree had a large group count but 37 would be downright amazing! Well, Fela Kuti may have topped that in his band in the 80s, course he had 3 or 4 times as many wives as i do- in real life that was.

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
I might have heard the MP3 wrong. Maybe they said 7 instead of 37.

They were going on about how full the studio was due to the number of band members.

~~~~~~~~~~

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Picked up a great cd recently from a local band, Gentleman Caller. The band has connections with Margot & the Nuclear So & So's that i mentioned elsewhere in this thread. The beat may be slower than Margot's but i loves their songs and they're a hometown band, not from Indy.

Here's their blog addy with some tunes:

Gentleman Caller

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Margot And The Nuclear So & Sos are getting some play around here. (Skeleton Key)
Good stuff.

Acts with local roots in my area:

"Back in the day" we had The Breeders, The Pixies, Throwing Muses and Belly.
Lately there is...

If you like folky country or acoustic there's Lori McKenna or Edie Carey(who still plays house parties cause it's fun)

Major label success has come to locals The Click Five

And hometown rock/reggae boys Zox are currently on the Warped Tour so we'll see what happens there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lila997,

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Hey cuz lila, glad to hear Margot & the N S&S's are gettin' heard in your neck of the woods and you like 'em.

The Click 5 cd has been on my want list for awhile. i really like them. i've heard Lori McKenna from a comp or two somewhere (she's cool) and i need to hunt down an Edie Carey album. Zox is great, too, i would see them on the Warped Tour in Indy but i don't think headliner Joan Jett is going to be there that day. Why, Joan, are you missing Indy!?!?

Great cd from my hometown- Murder By Death's In Bocca al Lupo. Think Johnny Cash singing & writing stark indie-rock songs in '06.

Here's their myspace link:

Murder By Death blog

Their own site doesn't offer much musicwise so maybe get a few quickie samples at AMG-

Murder By Death at AMG

The last 8 songs on the new cd are amazing. Not sure what their last albums were like, AMG didn't like their previous one but the new one is HOT! Vocalist has that Johnny Cash sound and the lyrics are Cash gone punk. Yay Indhickiana for having 3 amazing albums so far this year.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Another cool Indhickiana band with a great album comin' out soon (i knows cuz i have an advance copy) is Sam Lowry. A quieter version of Murder By Death, and a couple of the folks from MBD are on the new cd.

A few samples:
Sam Lowry myspace