Scrolls
What songs are playing on your jukebox?

This topic can be found at:
https://bingoze.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/636601791/m/556106688

20 December 2006, 10:09 PM
xenacrazed
What songs are playing on your jukebox?
Been playing these 3 cds today-

V/A "Hellbound Honeys", female fronted, garage rock bands from all over the world

The Sick Rose "Blastin' Out", an Italian garage/power pop band

The Reckless Reefers "Over the Edge", a surf instrumental album, pretty good stuff.
29 December 2006, 08:12 AM
XF3
Shine by Cyndi Lauper Smile

-----------------------------
My Space

29 December 2006, 02:35 PM
Brian
this woman rocks. what a gutsy, well-crafted performance.

http://www.kewego.co.uk/video/iLyROoaftYCD.html
29 December 2006, 06:04 PM
xenacrazed
Played Mambasa's "African Rhythms & Blues" cd on the way home from Indy today. Very nice afro-jazz instrumentals.
11 January 2007, 08:07 PM
xenacrazed
Two great songs been diggin' recently-

"I & I" by Jah Divison, a Russian reggae band and an oldie, "Julie is A Junkie" by the Eastern Dark, an Aussie band.
12 January 2007, 04:58 PM
xenacrazed
"The Best of Supergrass" album. Been listening to it today. A 2 cd set, the 2nd cd is live and actually pretty good (i dun care for live albums much). Best thing of all, it was a freebie album (i turned in a buncha dvds for credit at a used cd/dvd store).
15 January 2007, 08:17 PM
xenacrazed
Anyone here read those cool UK music mags: Mojo, Uncut, and The Word? Today i been listening to the cds that came with the latest issues of Mojo and Uncut.

Mojo's disc was based on the theme "love will tear you apart" and featured songs like "Shade and Honey" by Sparklehorse, "Baby's Coming Back to Me" by Jarvis Cocker, Elliot Smith's gorgeous "Twilight", a new one to me- Jane Weaver's "Once You'd Give Me Up", among more delightful songs.

Uncut's cd is based on new psychedelic artists such as Comets On Fire ("Sour Smoke"), the Sunburned Hand of the Man ("Adult Costume"), a great psych-folk act PG Six ("The Dance") and several more including one of the best acts of '06, Wooden Wand and the Vanishing Voice.

Still waiting on the latest ish of The Word. The UK rules when it comes to music magazines.
15 January 2007, 10:14 PM
lila997
I have The Word sitting right here. No free CD with that one, I'm afraid. But I did put the Sparklehorse track on my ipod a few days ago.
16 January 2007, 05:08 PM
xenacrazed
quote:
Originally posted by lila997:
I have The Word sitting right here. No free CD with that one, I'm afraid.

i hope they didn't stop the free cd thing. *whines and pouts* They always have the best cd for new music comin' outta the UK. Maybe the cd fell off the magazine or maybe the store where ya got it didn't want copies with cds. i know one local zine shop/bookstore wouldn't deal with magazines whose free cds weren't wrapped inside plastic with the mag (so that the cd wouldn't be stolen). The cd with The Word is usually glued to the cover and it comes off extremely easy.
22 January 2007, 06:59 PM
xenacrazed
hey cuz lila- got the newest Word Mag and yep, there was a cd with it. Maybe you should get a refund? Or tell them to use duct tape in keeping that free cd case attached to the zine cover.

Now playing- reissue of John Phillips "John the Wolfking of L.A." album, with bonus tracks.
23 January 2007, 07:57 PM
lila997
Mine had Tom Waits on the cover.

Wonder where my cd went? This is a mystery.
29 January 2007, 06:52 PM
xenacrazed
xc's best of '07 list so far-

Locksley Don't Make Me Wait Excellent power pop album where the influences are the Beatles, Kinks, Raspberries and Badfinger but with a modern punch.

The Red Button She's About To Cross My Mind More power pop. This time it's more like mid-'60s Beatles and the Hollies. i just loves this kinda stuff and especially when it sounds fresh.

America Here & Now Yup, i mean that "Horse With No Name" America. This album has great songwriting and great guests- James Iha, Ryan Adams, Ben Kweller. The new songs are great and the album comes with a 2nd cd of live classic America songs, and it's pretty nice too.

i still need to hear the Shins and Julie Dorion. Didn't care much for the new Sloan.
29 January 2007, 10:21 PM
Meredith Gentry
I've been downloading songs like a mad fiend lately. The song I was most pleased to track down was "Fool's Paradise" by Corporate Circus.
01 February 2007, 05:08 PM
xenacrazed
Corporate Circus? Is that a new or local band? Sounds familiar but just can't place it.

This week i've been listening to Girl Monster, a v/a comp with female fronted bands playing mostly punk, post-rock and electronica.

Also been giving a spin to albums by Chevron (electronica), Motorettes (punk pop) and That'll Flat Git It! (comp of rockabilly artists).
02 February 2007, 07:10 PM
Meredith Gentry
It's not a new band and they're out of Cali. I think Fool's Paradise was like a one-hit very obscure wonder. I radio station I listened to before it went out of business played it a lot about 4 years ago.
06 February 2007, 06:52 PM
xenacrazed
Been listening to jazz and surf instrumental the last couple days. Also picked up a box set of rare songs, album cuts and hits on the Elektra label. It was pretty good except for too many Judy Collins songs.

Since it's cold and snowing, i need some zydeco and more surf instrumental to bring out the summer
feeling. i. hate. winter.
26 February 2007, 06:57 PM
xenacrazed
Dang! i's ain't been here for awhile. 20 fricken days. Fricken fricken!

Been listening to:

Sarah Shannon: ex-Velocity Girl vocalist new album of very nice singer-songwriter stuff

New albums by The Bird and the Bee, the Broken West, Of Montreal (only so-so), Julie Dorion (way cool, similiar to Sarah Shannon), the Tangerines (power pop), the new French pop album from Belinda Carlisle and a buncha surf instrumental & garage rock music.
27 February 2007, 11:35 PM
Argeaux
On a whim I bought the Dixie Chicks latest album yesterday. When I play it in my car it makes me hunger for Texas.

I also got Eskimo Joe's latest offering. Only listened to the song "Sarah" so far, the reason I bought it.

Emeeeeeeeeeeeeergency! I think that I'm losing my mind.
Emeeeeeeeeeeeeergency! I think that I'm losing the fight.
And I don't know if I can do it.

~~~~~~~~~~

02 March 2007, 05:08 PM
Amethyst
I've been getting into Nightwish in a big way lately.

came across them acciedently... haven't been able to find any of them albums in oz, but i have limewire.. Smile

favs so far are planet hell and their version of phantom of the opera Big Grin

i don't know what style of music you'd call them??? opera gothic metal?? hehe

02 March 2007, 06:35 PM
xenacrazed
quote:
Originally posted by Me:
i don't know what style of music you'd call them??? opera gothic metal?? hehe

Symphonic Black Metal. You devil you! Smile
04 March 2007, 01:02 PM
xenacrazed
So far this weekend, been listening to:

the Latin funk of Joe Bataan;

a jazz comp cd that comes with Jazz Improv magazine;

a weird collection of cool novelty songs (though not silly novelty, it's well written novelty) that have radio trailers for exploitation films tacked on at the end of each song;

and a lost folkie album by Catherine Howe, only recently reissued.
23 March 2007, 11:39 PM
xenacrazed
Great great new album from Ted Leo & The Pharmacists has been playing much on my jukebox. Living With The Living contains some excellent anti-Bush, anti-war songs. Ted's albums always have great guitar work and this one may be the best yet.
07 April 2007, 01:24 PM
xenacrazed
The jukebox this week has been playing:

-songs from the v/a comp, Labrador 100, a sampler from the Swedish record company

-two Korean albums, one by Mama Guitar (all girl band singing '60s type party music) and He 6 (fabled psych-instrumental group)

-reissue of UK femme folk goddess Anne Briggs The Time Has Come album

-the new Low record, Drums & Guns, pretty funky stuff

-new music on the Paste magazine sampler

-the best of Emerson, Lake & Palmer 2 cd set

More '70s stuff this week than new, but i still have the new Modest Mouse, Arcade Fire and Pop Levi to listen to.
08 April 2007, 05:43 PM
xenacrazed
This weekend on the jukebox, so far-

Oscar Brown Jr's Movin' On funky jazz-soul with an urban attitude, and hey, it's from like 1972.

Pop Levi The Return to Form Black Magick Party Excellent glam/psych power pop album containing some killer Beatlesque hooks. A little overproduced in spots but still recommmended.

Modest Mouse We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank Maybe the ship sank when they started singing...uh...music's ok, lyrics are stoopid, singing often is too much or too little, would have been an ok ep.

Arcade Fire Neon Bible Bruce Springsteenish singing with some fine lyrics. Still a bit overdone in several spots where they should have gone for shimmering spoken-singing and held back on the surroundsound. Recommended nonetheless.
19 April 2007, 11:40 PM
xenacrazed
Today's jukebox been playing the debut album from the Noisettes. If ya like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, you may like this group. The music is more party than punk, and maybe without a Karen O attitude not as perky but still a lotta fun.