The annual best-of list tradition continues.
What are your favorite cd's, songs, artists, concerts, etc of '05?
I'm starting off with my top 35 studio albums of '05.
1. Get Behind Me, Satan White Stripes
2. Woman King Iron & Wine
3. Everything's Ok Al Green
4. Samuari Struck The Surf Coasters
5. Gimme Fiction Spoon
6. Baby Detroit Cobras
7. Apollo Sunshine Apollo Sunshine
8. Z My Morning Jacket
9. Cold Roses Ryan Adams
10. Nolita Keren Ann
11. The Magic Numbers The Magic Numbers
12. In the Reins Iron & Wine/Calexico
13. Hit the Floor Breakestra
14. Superwolf Bonnie "Prince" Billy & Matt Sweeny
15. Exploration Sarah Lee Guthrie & Johnny Irion
16. Freaks with the Savage Beat The Hexxers
17. Okemah & the Melody of Riot Son Volt
18. 21st Century Séance Green Pajamas
19. Oceans Apart The Go Betweens
20. Tie Your Noose BBQ
21. Tearing Up the Album Chart Go-Kart Mozart
22. At Carnegie Hall Thelonious Monk & John Coltrane
23. Warmer Corners The Lucksmiths
24. 29 Ryan Adams
25. Chaos and Creation in the Backyard Paul McCartney
26. Master of Disaster John Hiatt
27. Kaleidoscope Sounds Space Agency
28. The Cosmic Game Thievery Corporation
29. King of Missouri Anton Barbeau with Bevis Frond
30. Thunder, Lightning, Strike The Go! Team
31. Transistor Radio M Ward
32. I'm Wide Awake,It's Morning Bright Eyes
33. Picaresque The Decemberists
34. Dark Snack The Moaners
35. The Greatest White Liar Nic Armstrong
Back later with more cd's. Then songs & artists. i know ya'll can't wait! i can't wait to see lists from other scrollers.
No Madaonna - Confessions on a Dance Floor ?
12 Songs-Neil Diamond
this was definitely the year of the White Stripes for me. Get Behind me Satan rocked my world so i finally got off my cd-listening butt & gave a proper listen to their older stuff. what took me so long!?
WHAT WOULD XENA DO?
are you sitting on the soap?
sometimes, you just have to say 'what the f...'
My two favorite this year were Kelly Clarkson and The Black Eyed Peas.
i haven't heard the Madonna cd yet or any songs from it (i stopped listening to radio yrs ago). But i have heard good stuff about her latest album.
here's cd's 36-100. i figure that i rank the The White Stripes cd a 10.0 and that my 100th fave cd is ranked an 8.0. There were a lot of great albums this year, it was hard picking the top 100. The Brandi Carlile cd at #55 could easily be ranked higher, it's just a late comer that i haven't heard enough of yet. Plus i found #42 Ryan Adams "Jacksonville City Limits" on LP that has 4 bonus tracks not on the cd. That could raise it's rank.
36. "12 Songs" Neil Diamond
37. "Haunted" Goblin Market
38. "The King Kahn & BBQ Show" King Kahn & BBQ
39. "The Dreadful Yawns" The Dreadful Yawns
40. "Right On Sound" Black Jetts
41. "Let's Waste Another Evening" Josh Lederman
42. "Jacksonville City Nights" Ryan Adams
43. "Honeycomb" Frank Black
44 "Only Love Remains" Jeremy Morris
45. "Circling The Sun" Orange Peels
46. "Howl" Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
47. "Naturally" Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings
48. "LCD Soundsystem" LCD Soundsystem
49. "3" Stereotypes
50. "Secret House Against the World" Buck 65
51. "Chinese Burn" Len Price 3
52. "Are You Ready Now" Thee Minks
53. "Rides Again" Longboard Ranch
54. "Twin Cinema" New Pornographers
55. "Brandi Carlile" Brandi Carlile
56. "Multiply" Jamie Lidell
57. "4-11-44" The Blasters
58. "Giustizia Sommaria" I Fantomatici
59. "Catching Tales" Jamie Cullum
60. "The Art of Rolling" The Blue Van
61. "Neander'n'tal" Estrume'n'tal
62. "Live at Stubb's" Matisyahu
63. "Dreamin' My Dreams" Patty Loveless
64. "Find the Way to Be Happy" Jeremy Morris
65. "The Portugal Japan" Portugal Japan
66. "Live At the Lava Lounge 2" The Blue Hawaiians
67. "Eye to the Telescope" K.T. Tunstall
68. "In Space" Big Star
69. "Magic Town" Van Morrison
70. "Blinking Lights" Eels
71. "Destination Get Down!" Diplomats of Solid Sound
72. "The Forgotten Arm" Aimee Mann
73. "By the Time You Hear This" Redlands Palamino Co
74. ."Ambassadors of Rock-n-roll" Riveria Playboys
75. "Guero" Beck
76. "Leave the Hall Light On" The Glowfriends
77. "Coming On Strong" Hot Chip
78. "'64-'95'" Lemon Jelly
79. "Introducing..." The Concussions
80. "The Muggs" The Muggs
81. "Maroon Cocoon" Bart Davenport
82. "Nice and Nicely Done" The Spinto Band
83. "What Comes After the Blues" Magnolia Electric Co
84. "Destroy the Warming Sun" Ammino Acids
85. "The Runners Four" Deerhoof
86. "Illuminated by the Light" Weird War
87. "Pretty In Black" The Raveonettes
88. "Afrobeat Visions" Bukky Leo & Black Egypt
89. "The Ultimate Collection" Banjo & Sullivan
90. "Silent Alarm" Bloc Party
91. "Blink the Brightest" Tracy Bonham
92. "These Bones Will Rise to Love You Again" Immortal Lee County Lovers
93. "Extraordinary Machine" Fiona Apple
94. "You Could Have It So Much Better" Franz Ferdinand
95. "Red Dog Tracks" Chip Taylor & Carrie Rodriguez
96. "Crime Scenes & Murder Songs" Dr.Frankenstein
97. "Devils & Dust" Bruce Springsteen
98. "Tales from Turnpike House" Saint Etienne
99. "Dirty Surf" Molly Maguires
100. "Clap Your Hands Say Yeah" Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Now to figure out my fave songs of the year!
oh yeah...Chavez Ravine--Ry Cooder
WHAT WOULD XENA DO?
are you sitting on the soap?
sometimes, you just have to say 'what the f...'
no particular order and I'll add more as I think of 'em..
You Could Have it So Much Better... Franz Ferdinand
Get Behind Me Satan The White Stripes
What I mean to Say is Goodbye Tom Brosseau
I've liked the music I've heard from Of Montreal; Spoon; the Purrs; Sons and Daughters; the Black Angels; Okkervil River; the Decemberists; the Arcade Fire; M.I.A.; Bright Eyes (the acoustic album)
*Scans other lists*
Never have heard any Kelly Clarkson stuff. i take it she's on the radio a lot. Maybe i should tune in radio sometimes.
i also liked Ry Cooder's Chavez Ravine. He consistantly releases good music.
ok, Nora, ya got me wondering- who are the Purrs? The Tom Brosseau sounds familiar and i do like the Black Angels, i've only heard their ep.
Since 42 is the answer to life the universe & everything- i picked my 42 fave songs. The Waking Hours "Someday Soon" is from a power pop comp. It sounds so familiar, deja-vuish yet i think it's an original song not a cover. i'm looking forward to their first album. The Orange Peels have a very Beatlesesque sound. Great album. Go Kart Mozart has a 70's power pop sound to me but with a modern beat. Kathryn Williams- and i need to find any albums by her- wraps a great voice around a Tim Buckley song, "Buzzin Fly", the only cover song in my list. The Spinto Band could have a great future if properly promoted. And why why why isn't the Magic Numbers leading the Grammy nominations? Their music begs to be heard.
1. Someday Soon The Waking Hours
2. So Right The Orange Peels
3. I'm Lonely (But I Ain't That Lonely Yet) White Stripes
4. Summer Is Here Go-Kart Mozart
5. Jezebel Iron & Wine
6. Buzzin' Fly Kathryn Williams
7. Trust Vs.Mistrust The Spinto Band
8. I See You, You See Me Magic Numbers
9. Be My Baby Al Green
10. Lai-Ha Lam Len Price 3
11. Gray Stables Iron & Wine
12. Big Chance Patty Loveless
13. Forever for Her (Is Over for Me) White Stripes
14. Stoppin' The Love KT Tunstall
15. I Want None of This Radiohead
16. We Both Go Down Togather Decemberists
17. Mostly Alice Green Pajamas
18. Peaceful Valley Ryan Adams
19. Music Next Door Lucksmiths
20. Oh My The Dansettes
21. Illuminated Weird War
22. Off the Record My Morning Jacket
23. Another Day Al Green
24. Girlfriend Portugal Japan
25. Shut Up & Kiss Me Thee Minks
26. Move & Shake The Konks
27. Born Over The Rhine
28. Four Hours in Washington M.Ward
29. Want Some Bart Davenport
30. Beautiful Aimee Mann
31. Espera Erin McKeown
32. Out of Time BBQ
33. Fistful of Love Antony & the Johnsons
34. Sweet Creature, What's Your Name? Anton Barbeau with Bevis Frond
35. My Home Is the Sea Bonnie "Prince" Billy/Matthew Sweeney
36. This Night's For You The Go-Betweens
37. Blue Sky Blues Ryan Adams
38. Losing My Edge LCD Soundsystem
39. I Summon You Spoon
40. Galaxies Laura Veirs
41. Infatuation of the Girl Bloody Hollies
42. What's in Store? Architecture in Helsinki
Now to figure out fave artists of '05.
Forgot the Rosebuds, Jim White's "Stillwaters".
Love "We Both Go Down Together" too, xc. It's kind of sweet and disturbing and sick all at once. I'm rather fond of "The Mariner's Revenge Song" too.
The Purrs are a band out of Seattle (still unsigned to a label I think) but they have self-realeased an album. I heard 'em give an in-studio performance on KEXP back in August and was converted. KEXP archives ALL the live performances if you wanna give 'em a listen.
The Purrs on KEXP. You can listen to individual songs or you can listen to the whole damn thing by clicking on "Interview". The talk in between is not overbearing and usually offers some insight into the music.
I'm old, so I haven't heard much of the music mentioned already.
Here's what this old man listened to and loved this year:
Lucia Micarelli - Music From A Farther Room
Amaral - Pajaros En La Cabeza
Jennifer Pena - Libre
And of course, I listened to Beethoven's Ninth Symphony about 50 times this year. That's down from a high of 200 times one year.
|Scroller Needing Therapy|
I don't listen to all that much music, so my list will be pretty pathetic..
Here Come The Drums - Rogue Traders
The Dusk Sessions - Spook
For my song of the year, I can't go past 'Voodoo Child' by the Rogue Traders.
And that's me done
heh i like the Purrs sound. i see their cd is at cdbaby *adds to cdbaby want list*
now now Brian, ya can't be too old if yer groovin' to Jennifer Pena. i like that latin sound too.
i've heard good stuff bout the Rogue Traders cd. But it's high price import in the US still. *pouts* Just like the Renee Geyer "Tonight" cd. Too bad there's not one global online record shop that caters to every taste, every release and good reasonable prices.
my fave artists of the year
Group- The White Stripes
best live & studio band of '05.
Female vocalist- Keren Ann
She sings indie jazz pop in both French & English. Her French only cds are probably bettet than the newer ones in English, to me. i so badly wanna see her in concert.
Male vocalist- Ryan Adams
He released 3 excellent cds in '05. i wanna see him in concert too.
New group- The Magic Numbers
New female vocalist- Brandi Carlile
New male vocalist- Len Price
OOOoo gotta compile list of fave comps fun fun fun.
Top 10 favorite various artist compilations of '05, in alphabetical order.
1. Between Goodlettsville And Murfreesboro (alt country/jangly pop)
2. Beyond the Sea (modern surf instrumentals)
3. Dirty Laundry- The Soul Of Black Country
4. Dream Brother- The Songs of Tim & Jeff Buckley
5. First Days Of Funk Vol 1 & 2 (each vol. is 2 cd's of rare 70's funk)
6. Folk is Not A Four Letter Word
7. Impeach The Precedent
8. Love, Peace & Poetry- Turkish Psychedelic Music
9. Party People Present: Street Soul Anthems
10. This Bird Has Blown: 40th Anniversary Tribute to Rubber Soul
|Powered by Social Strata|