Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Music    The Annual Question- What's your favorite (and least favorite)Christmas Carol?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Annual Question- What's your favorite (and least favorite)Christmas Carol?
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted
So what is it kids?

Is it the happy secular Santa Claus based carols?

Irving Berlin's "White Christmas?"

The religious? The joyous? The mysterious?

"You grow up the day you have your first real laugh, at yourself."

Ethel Barrymore

Posts: 2306 | Location: DFW | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post
Warrior Scroller
Picture of Herculena
posted Hide Post
Ack! Xmas!!! Fast forward!!!

Ah well. I'll say

Cheech & Chong's "Santa Claus & his Old Lady" skit along with Burl Ives' "Mr. Grinch" and Da Yoopers' "Rusty Chevrolet" are my faves. Parodies are my kind of Xmas toons.

As for what's being played in the stores-- NO! Makes me want to hide in the lingerie department and strangle random passersby with bras.

Religious? Urfh... I tend to avoid Xtian stuff because it reminds me of Midnight Mass when I was in choir and it was hard to keep awake (especially in the old church which had no place for the choir to sit).

I had a mini celebration for the feast days of St. Juan Diego and the Virgin of Guadalupe on the 9th and the 12th but I don't know any songs...

[This message was edited by Rusty Chevrolet on 24 December 2003 at 07:22 PM.]

Posts: 335 | Location: East Hallelujah!, IL | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
Picture of Madogis
posted Hide Post
well, i don't really have a favourite...maybe away in a manger because it's about cows Razz

i don't like the tone of "war is over". it always makes me feel bad about my self:
"and so this is christmas, and what have YOU done???"

...i didn't do anything! 0.0 *cries*

it is a pretty good song though.

then there's the "santa never made it into darwin..." one, about a hurricane that ripped through darwin one christmas. "...a big wind came and blew the town away."

no one likes to hear that after a nice christmas meal. o.o

ooh, i really like "have yourself a merry little christmas". it just seems to be nice, but not overly cheery. plus it talks about the fates Smile

and i like how in "little drummer boy", all they want from him is a song, *sniff*, it gets me all choked up Smile. spare a thought for the wisemen though: "a song? a song!!? I could have done that!Mad"

hehehe

--------------------------------------

JAMES:*facing impending doom* whoever said beauty doesn't last must have been thinking of us.

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
O Holy Night.

I was singing it today as I was walking through the shops. People were smiling.

I also like O Little Town Of Bethlehem.

The Os have it for me.

~~~~~~~~~~

Who did you think I would be? - HA! - well you got me instead.

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Warlord Scroller
posted Hide Post
I confess, when it comes to christmas carols - let alone songs - , I'm a total cretin. I mostly hate 'em, only in different degrees.

Ah..., hang on, I tell a lie. There's one by Henry Purcell. It's a duet for Baritone and Alto from a christmas mass for the court of Charles II. 'A Child Onto Us Is Born'. Quite beautiful, I must confess.
Oh, and a few other pieces by Baroque composers.

I know, I know, I'm a frightful snob, but you DID ask. Wink

The Xenatizer

Posts: 314 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 July 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
Picture of beauTifully tragic
posted Hide Post
o holy night .. probably b/c it's my mom's fave

Posts: 2723 | Location: la la land | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Sara
posted Hide Post
Okie:

my roommate KC's favorite: The Hippopotamus Song...you know, the one where the kid wants a hippo for X-mas

her least favorite: Jingle Bells

Gabber's favorite: Santa Baby
her least favorite: We Wish You a Merry Christmas

MY favorite: tie between Breath of Heaven, a original song by Amy Grant and Do You Hear What I Hear? I also really like O Holy Night & Sleigh Ride too. Smile

My least favorite: Twelve Days of Christmas & Let It Snow. Bleh. Razz

I offer no apologies for the things that I believe and say
And I like it that way

Only in dreams, we see what it means
Reach out our hands, hold on to hers
But when we wake, it's all been erased

And so it seems
Only in dreams

Posts: 2158 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
My favorite is Carol of the Bells and usually just the instrumental though the right vocal arrangement works too. I like the dark and mysterious music which means I also like God Rest You Merry Gentlemen, O Holy Night and O Little Town of Bethlehem.

I also love Sleigh Ride because it is such a visceral piece of music. You hear the horses, you hear the bells. With a good trumpet section you hear the horses whinny.

My least favorite is The Little Drummer Boy. Maybe because it's usually delivered by some precious, off-key tot. Maybe I just find it cloying.

"You grow up the day you have your first real laugh, at yourself."

Ethel Barrymore

Posts: 2306 | Location: DFW | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
Picture of Madogis
posted Hide Post
what if i've only just listened to the lyrics of "do you see what i see?" and it's quite nice also?

...heh, sorry Roll Eyes

i like how everything has a voice, and how it starts out with the wind, and ends up with a king. it's very cool. plus there's a talking lamb Big Grin

--------------------------------------

JAMES:*facing impending doom* whoever said beauty doesn't last must have been thinking of us.

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Xenatizer:
There's one by Henry Purcell. It's a duet for Baritone and Alto from a christmas mass for the court of Charles II. 'A Child Onto Us Is Born'.
I may have the wrong end of the stick here, but did you mean 'A Child UNTO Us Is Born'?

If it's supposed to be 'Onto' that is certainly one Christmas Carol I wouldn't mind hearing. Wink

~~~~~~~~~~

Who did you think I would be? - HA! - well you got me instead.

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Free Madness
posted Hide Post
"Do you hear what I hear." Oh yeah. gotta love it. Starts out soft, then builds then climaxes. My kind of song. I dunno why but it kinda reminds me of Ravel's Bolero.

"Carol of the Bells" for the same reason.

"Lo How a Rose E'er Blooming" and "Little Drummer Boy": i love the messages. Jesus was cool, even if I'm not a Xian.

And "Bring a Torch, Jeanette Isabella": that's just sweet. i love it. i love Christmas.Big Grin

There's a really cool song called "The Birthday Party of the King" that I love. A baritone named Robert Merril sang it on his CD. Beautiful.Smile

Bruce Springsteen's "Santa Claus is comin to town." I just love him!

Least favorite? Jingle Bells, I saw Mommy Kissin Santa Claus, Santa Baby, the Twelve Days of Christmas.

"Even when you're down and blue, just remember that someone out there loves you, even if you don't know it and even if you haven't yet met them. There's someone out there waiting for you, remember that and keep faith. You'll get there."
~~Johnny Depp.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Dreamland | Registered: 06 April 2004Report This Post
<GabbysHOPE>
posted
Santa Baby by Eartha Kitt
Holly Jolly Christmas by Burl Ives

Report This Post