Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Music    CD reviews
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
CD reviews
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted
Aren't those day after Thanksgiving sales great? Circuit City had most of their CDs on sale for $9.99 so I acquired a few tunes. While standing in line to purchase Rob Zombie's "Past, Present & Future and A Perfect Circle's "The Thirteenth Step" I saw that the Miracle on 34th Street DVD was for sale at a really good price. So it was an eclectic collection that evening.

Rob Zombie: Past, Present & Future

You know it's scary how many of these songs I know. The first half of the disc is devoted the the White Zombie years with the second half devoted to Zombie's solo career. Out of 17 Greatest hits (there are 19 tracks, but two are new) I'd say 13 are legitimately greatest hits. But I have to admit three of the other four sound familar to me, lol.

Not a bad retrospective and it's nice to have a legit copy of "Living Dead Girl" and "Dragula". I've never understood my fondness for Rob Zombie, but some things should just be accepted.

A Perfect Circle: The Thirteenth Step

Nice, broody, depressing. I'll have to listen again before I can give a more definitive opinion. A Perfect Circle just kind of washes over me. I like it, but the details can be fuzzy.

there are a couple of more CDs to reveiw from that day including Coldplay's Parachutes and a collection of vintage jazz songs from Squirrel Nut Zippers' Kathrine Whalen.

"You grow up the day you have your first real laugh, at yourself."

Ethel Barrymore

Posts: 2306 | Location: DFW | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
Picture of beauTifully tragic
posted Hide Post
Fuel ~ Natural Selection
s'good Wink

Posts: 2723 | Location: la la land | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
Coldplay: Parachutes
great CD...nice paper reading music, ya know with moments that make you lose track of what you were reading, but it doesn't bother you because the music is good, lol.

Katherine Whalen's Jazz Squad

When I found this in Circuit City (off all places-not where I expect to find the obscure) I was a little surprised. It was released in '99, but I'd never heard of it and I always like KW's Squirrel Nut Zippers turns at vocal. The album is a collection of vintage 1930s jazz songs. It's a nice Sunday morning listen, but I wish there was just a little more sparkle. Depsite support by several SNZ musicians, it doesn't quite have the magic of an SNZ outing.

Ethel Barrymore

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
Finally listened to a couple of CDs I bought last week.

The Strokes--Room on Fire

Jesus, these guys are cool. A bit overproduced, I'd prefer to have heard a slightly rawer sound, but I'm convinced that these guys are worth catching live.

Linkin Park--Meteora

Somebody at Spin or Rolling Stone said that Linkin Park got their lyrics by eavesdropping on locker conversations between jr high school girls. Maybe that's why their anger appeals. It could be chick rock if it weren't for the Y chromosomes. *g* I think I should let Sara review this one though.

Ethel Barrymore

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
These are the CDs I got for Christmas:

Ministry of Sound 2004 Annual IV

Great beats to groove to in the car. Most techno sucks, but clever techno is intelligent and engaging. Like art, no?

Johnny Cash - American Recordings I

Very stripped back, minimalist country that just plain works. Songs with stories, songs with sorrow. Good for mellowing out in front of the computer.

Pink - Try This

Forgive me. I got this one for free. Jazzy. It'll take a few listens before I have favourites, but Feel Good Time is going to be hard to beat.

Jet - Get Born

80s rock meets 90s indifferent sophistry. When you want to imagine you are cool this is the CD to slip on. Another good one for the car.

Stella One Eleven

The third offering from this band is self-titled, suggesting a shift in marketing. The songs are more mellow this time around, with nary a grungy chord to be heard. This one will take a few listens to understand. Like most Veruca Salt CDs.

~~~~~~~~~~

Who did you think I would be? - HA! - well you got me instead.

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jet - Get Born

quote:
80s rock meets 90s indifferent sophistry. When you want to imagine you are cool this is the CD to slip on. Another good one for the car.

I've been trying to buy this CD for a couple of months now. Everytime it goes on sale, it sells out before I can get a copy. If this keeps up, I'm gonna pull a "I'm too cool to buy something everybody else is." Well, actually, I'm giving it one more try tomorrow morning, lol

Ethel Barrymore

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I got my Jet CD on sale. Wink

~~~~~~~~~~

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
I usually wait for a sale. I'm a damn cheapskate. smash

Ethel Barrymore

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Sounds smart, to me.

The damn things cost so much more than what they are worth, IMO.

Been downloading new tunes for your MP3?

I've been loading all my old CD singles on to mine, of late.

~~~~~~~~~~

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
standard operating procedure is to rip the CD as soon as I've listened to it once. I don't have the entire collection on my hard drive, but I'm working on it.

The last one I downloaded was the Foo Fighter's cover of "Darlin Nikki". Not available to buy in the US, though radio stations are playing it.

hehe...Dave Grohl may be a jerk too, but I still like the music.

Ethel Barrymore

Scroll Nightmare
posted Hide Post
Tenacious D - Every metal generation sees a new team of high priests take over the Temple of Syrinx, and now is the hour of Tenacious D, standing tall on rock's Mount Olympus with their acoustic guitars and a songbook full of pure stoner poetry. Jack Black and Kyle Gass are the twin visionaries here: two sloppy dudes strumming and wailing the hysterically funny Seventies faux-metal ballads that have already made Tenacious D legendary for their L.A. club gigs as well as their short-lived HBO series. (You've also seen Black onscreen as the loudmouthed record clerk in High Fidelity.) The D's long-awaited debut album is an angel-dustrial bong-water brew of Styx, Rush and Triumph, with a dollop of Journey, a soup‡on of Kansas, loads of Zep and Sabbath, a pinch of Black Oak Arkansas, maybe a dash of the Ozark Mountain Daredevils. Not since Bob and Doug McKenzie have two jokers nailed the clod-metal aesthetic so accurately: Nearly every lyric here comes straight from your high school's bathroom wall.
Tenacious D sounds like it was bashed out in one dazed and confused all-nighter, with musical help from famous pals such as Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl, Phish's Page McConnell and producers the Dust Brothers. But what makes the D such noble warriors is their mastery of every Seventies-rock clich‚, from the Skynyrd-esque groupie-chasing boogie "The Road" to the perfect Steve Howe-style guitar filigree in the middle of "Rock Your Socks." You also get the best song ever written about Ronnie James Dio ("Dio"), the best song ever written about kielbasa ("Kielbasa"), tormented battle-of-evermore prog narratives such as "Wonderboy" and "Tribute," and the for-lovers-only acoustic ballad "F*** Her Gently," where Black adopts his most sensitive Steve Perry voice to charm the ladies with sweet nothings like "I'm gonna hump you sweetly/I'm gonna ball you discreetly." Tenacious D are more than rock stars, much more: They're the Thor and Zeus of a new rock religion, prophets of blood and honor, overlords from the land of the ice and snow. They ask no quarter. They give no quarter. They are the D.

here

------------------------------

Rock Your Socks

Posts: 494 | Location: Tempe, AZ | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Did you write that review Joey?

Have you seen the thread addressed to you in this very forum? If not -- go and check it out.

Please.

~~~~~~~~~~

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
The Darkness--Permission to Land

There's nothing particularly deep here, but who needs deep when these guys rock? It's a good time and you just know somewhere after the concert there will be a hell of a party.

Besides, you have to appreciate classic lyrics like "Givin' up, givin' up givin' a f***!"

Ethel Barrymore

Besotted Scroller
Picture of Madogis
posted Hide Post
ok, here we go:

yu-gi-oh: music to duel by
excellent cd - very entertaining. i insist that you all rush out and buy it immediately Razz

ratcat: twisted tails
this seems to be a best of cd, though i should point out that only one song ("don't go now") ever made it to any radio station that i ever heard. anyway, it's a 2cd album and from what i can gather, one cd is for all the punky ballads and such and the other is for the wierd-arse nightmare enducing freak-out sessions. i don't play that one. it scares me. the friendly one is very good.

something for kate: echolalia
this one i bought for the song "monsters", and it took me a couple of listens to get into the rest of the album. very angsty, sort of easy listing with a bit of screaming, if that makes sense. one of my personal favourites is "jerry stand up". it really is a beautiful album.

four star mary: thrown to the wolves
four star mary, aka: "dingoes ate my baby" Razz. what can i say? this album is a light in my otherwise grey little life, and i thank tam each and every time i hear it for opening the blinds to my soul (..was that too deep, or just too confusing?)

ROTK: soundtrack
well, this album was summed up pretty well by my brother when he said "that's gotta be as boring as bat sh*t."
billy boyd has a beautiful voice, but sadly, his 15 seconds can't sustain me through the endless instrumentals which seem to be recorded much lower than every ohter cd i have, which wreaks havoc upon my changer volume. very annoying. there is one song which i can't remember the name of, where the lady is singing about ships coming to "carry you home", but i can't decide if i like it or hate it. it's all very odd. unless you're a real ROTK fan and have a good 12hrs to spend, trying to adjust your volume level to each track's individual requirements, i wouldn't recommend it.

--------------------------------------

fear me...for i am the darkness

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Ratcat had a big single called "That Ain't Bad" which came out before "Don't Go Now". Is that on their best of album?

My favourite Ratcat song is "Tingles".

~~~~~~~~~~

Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Jubs
posted Hide Post
Here are some sloppy reviews..

Dashboard Confessional A Mark a Mission a Brand a Scar:
Dashboard's third full length album is just as good as the others, plus, there's a bonus DVD which totally kick's ass. If you like moody poetry set to emo-like music, check out Dashbaord. Every possible thought about love gone wrong is explored in Dashboard music.

Joss Stone Soul Possession:
I just bought this CD tonight and haven't had a chance to listen to the whole thing, but if any of it is as good as the single "Fell in Love with a boy" You are sure to fall in love with Joss's voice. She's a 16 year old England native with a great gravely jazz/soul voice. I love her sound.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Maybe it was just the dream of you, and not the reality that I loved.

Posts: 920 | Location: Iowa, USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
Courtney Love - America's Sweetheart
Fits how I'm feeling at the moment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I reflect upon the number of disagreeable people who I know have gone to a better world, I am moved to lead a different life.

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guru
Picture of mons
posted Hide Post
Maroon 5 - Songs about Jane

cause i'm a sucker for love songs, and a guy with a cool voice.

Norah Jones - Feels Like Home

cause i'm a sucker for a sexy voice (the one i wish i had) and those sentimental lyrics

No Doubt - the singles

who can say no to a best of collection!?

i buy my stuff at target. if you know what you like, target usually sells the CD's for anywhere from 10-12 dollars on their first week.

mons

"I never understood the whole 'no cruel and unusual' punishment thing. If it's not cruel and unusual, it' not punishment." - PFJ

<Argy McBargy>
posted
I got Courtney Love's new album too, Shawn.

You must be having some serious issues to deal with this week. Wink

Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
That's an understatement my friend.

Go to Subtext and I guess I'll clue you all in.

When I reflect upon the number of disagreeable people who I know have gone to a better world, I am moved to lead a different life.

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Courtney's album is growing more and more on me.

Then again, I love a bit of skank in my car. Wink

~~~~~~~~~~

Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
Don't know what it is about her - she's the type that I would think I should wash my hands after shaking with her, yet she possesses something strangely appealing.

Street Barbie, yeah, that's it.

Warlord Scroller
posted Hide Post
WARNING!!! Minority Report!
This is definitely no IN-stuff! Seriously un-hip music by a band which MTV wouldn't even let through the tradesman's entrance. No Top 40 piece in sight. Instead, sweat-on-the-frets live music, looong improvisations... well... musician's music for fans of Southern Blues Rock. No metal poser prats in tight leather with 100$ hairdos, muscle implants and legs so far apart that they do serious damage to their jewelry. How refreshing. Big Grin

GOV'T MULE - "Deepest End" (2 CD + DVD version)

Warren Haines (Allman Brothers, Greatful Dead) stubbornly keeps the last top class power trio (git/b/dr) on the globe alive and well, it seems. (Hendrix & Ray Vaughan aren't dead, they just smell funny.)
His latest deed is what the stuff of legends is made of. A 5 1/2 hour concert with 26 friends throwing in the odd contribution.
Rock, Jazz, Blues, Soul, Jive, Funk all thrown into a pot and stirred with a red hot spoon. Only the cream of the upper cream of musicians having a ball. This gig is right up there with such legendary live recordings as Hendrix's 'Band Of Gypsies, The Allman Brothers' Live At The Fillmore East, ZZ Top's Hamburg Sessions or Stevie Ray Vaughan's Live At The Mocambo.

Still, the price is quite steep, so, anyone interested to check the band out first should try Gov't Mule's studio CD 'DOSE'. If that doesn't hit home, this won't either.

cooler
The Xenatizer

Posts: 314 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 July 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Joss Stone I saw her on the Tonight Show and was thinking, "why didn't Leno ever have the White Stripes to do their own song?" Then I laughed when I realized that there were three times as many people on stage to do the cover as there are White Stripes. Don't get me wrong, I thought she was great. It's just that I've been hearing that version of Fell in Love a little often lately.

Anyway, onto my new stuff.

The Vines - Winning Days

Is there anything as catchy as Ride? I'm totally into that song right now. But the rest of the album is pretty damn good. It's a great one to stick into the CD player and just let play out.

Incubus - A Crow Left of the Murder

You all know Megalomaniac which is a great song. The rest of the album has an interesting sound to it and a couple of pretty good songs.

"Tis better to have loved and lust than never loved at all."

John J.Malone in Trial By Fury by Craig Rice

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
Franz Ferdinand

Yes, I finally picked up the FF CD. It was worth the wait...four guys from Glasgow. The music is awesome. Lyrically the sounds of the words are playful without being cute. And hey, throwing in random German always gets my attention. *g* Great imagery ("You are the villian who sends a line of dark fantastic passion" and "You are the latest contender/You're an emotion avenger") makes this one listenable for a long time.