Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Music    CD reviews
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
CD reviews
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Yeah i got the new Sahara Hotnights last weekend but havenb't heard it yet. Hey i'm on vacation, it'll take awhile to get caught up.

Por Vida is a tribute cd to the songs of singer/songwriter Alejandro Escovedo. Escovedo is an amazing artist & this cd has a lotta great covers of his songs. Lucinda Williams, the Jayhawks, Son Volt, Shelia E, Steve Earle, the Cowboy Junkies- they're all here plus a lotta great singers & bands. This is an excellent way to discover Escovedo's music plus the dude has a song he does at the end of cd 2. Can't beat that.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Legend
posted Hide Post
I recently got Elephunk. I was disappointed. It wasn't the kind of music I was expecting. I also didn't realize that the radio version of "Hey Mama" wasn't on the CD before I bought it. Frown I wanted more upbeat pop stuff than the cd really had.

FEAR THE SWINE

Posts: 144 | Location: NC | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
Picture of beauTifully tragic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smirk Morgan:
_Libertines-Up the Bracket_ Me want and don't care if Pete Doherty is a dopefiend

i have a copy if you want

Posts: 2723 | Location: la la land | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
oooh...sounds like we might need to set up an exchange.

Posts: 2306 | Location: DFW | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post
Besotted Scroller
Picture of beauTifully tragic
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2723 | Location: la la land | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
A couple of recent great cd's- the newest cd and also a few years old cd by The Thievery Corporation. Electronica stuff, some instrumentals, some vocals. Some funky samba mixed in too.

A new one, maybe the first, from Martina Topley-Bird. Electronica/funk/trip-hop/rock music though Martina's vocals sound Sheryl Crowish to me in spots. Good stuff.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
Got a new CD called Pulp Fusion - a collection of funky jams to cruise to in your car.

Very jivey numbers that put the sssssssssssizzle into soul. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Argy McBargy:
Got a new CD called _Pulp Fusion_ - a collection of funky jams to cruise to in your car.

Very jivey numbers that put the sssssssssssizzle into soul. Smile

Oh hecky yeah the Pulp Fusion comps rule. i can't recall which one i have but it's funky to the core! Smile

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
I heard this record about two years ago in a shop in Sydney, but didn't have enough money to buy it.

I went digging for it the other day in a discount CD place, and was lucky enough to find it.

It REALLY gets you into a groove. You wouldn't believe how amazing a CD with very few lyrics could make you feel, until you heard it. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Ah the fewer the lyrics the groovier the groove! I recommend Afro-funk compilations for some really great global grooves as well as various artists funk cd's of late 60's-early 70's (the more obscure the artists the better). I'm so addicted to this stuff. Gonna have a funky breakdown someday. OOooo that sounds like fun! Smile

Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
Mindy Smith - One Moment More

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Love the new Polyphonic Spree, and they actually gave names to the songs this time. Smile Guess this is what the Beach Boys would sound like if they started now & were alternative & had an alternative version of Wilson-Phillips incorporated in the band.

Dang burn is there any group out there similiar to the Fiery Furnances? Ultra-literate lyrics with some utter nonsense lines. Punk-folk prog? Great cd though not as good as their debut cuz-
1) songs are a tad bit too long
2) punk-folk prog is cool concept but lighten up the lyrics a tad
3) the cd is 76 min long- hellllllo? please sing
it in 45-48 min, trim & edit imo.

Still it's better than a lotta stuff out there. Did i mention the title's "Blueberry Boat"? MMMMmmm blueberries.

Anyone missing classic late '60s rock pick up on The Redwalls "Universal Blues". A cool mix of John Lennon & CCR with good lyrics & music, not tossaway tunes.

Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
Gavin DeGraw - Chariot
I'm enjoying it - kinda a mix between Ryan Adams ( back in the days of Whiskeytown) with almost a Lenny Kravitz feel. I like.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Recent goodies-

Wagon Christ electronica, real fun trippy stuff. This was their cd from last year, i hear they have a new one soon.

Black Keys "The Rubber Factory". Could be my fave cd of the year. Grubby grimey hard blues rock. Is "Girl is On My Mind" on the radio yet? Well it oughta be. Best song of the year, IMO.

Bevis Frond "Hit Squad" The Frond sound is an acquired taste. Alternative psychedelic hard folk? Yay them (or him, as it's a one-man band with his fam & other assorted pals).

The soundtrack to Wicker Park. Worth it just for the Postal Service's cover of "Against All Odds".

Funky UK band called Build An Ark "Peace With Every Step" cd reminds me of that great 70s soul sound i miss. So does the new cd from Amp Fiddler, for all them who like Stevie Wonder/Marvin Gaye kinda music.

Cheapo comp called Future Soundtrack for America rules! For America? Heck, for the whole world. REM, Elliot Smith, Laura Cantrell, Bright Eyes, David Byrne- lotta great tunes.

Gotta used copy of the latest Sonic Youth "Sonic Nurse" and it's one of their best. Yay them!

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
recent good stuff-

Steve Earle's latest. Yeah more rockin protest songs and rockin rockin songs.

Drive By Truckers Country punk rock. Good stuff 'cept for the over long, 3 song Buford Pusser trilogy.

Po Girl Jazzy alt folk. Recommended if ya like the Be Good Tanyas.

Jens Lekman Swedish alt pop, really cool lyrics, nice & poppy, why aint this on the radio? or is it?

Fela Kuti "The Underground Spiritual Game" A nice mix of Fela tunes through the ages. If ya aint never heard the Afro Funk King, here's a good place to start.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Nick Cave's double cd "Abbatoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus" is awesome. Nick's still tapped into the dark side of stuff but not much of it shows here, there's actually *gasp* songs of joy in this set! One of the best albums of '04.

Best tribute cd of '04/best various artists comp vocals (imo)- "Late Great Daniel Johnston: Discovered Covered". 2 cd set. Cd 1 consists of covers of Johnston's songs, cd 2 is the original songs sung by Johnston. Naw, he ain't dead but he's ultra-cool, ultra-fringe. This is a great beginning place for ppl who haven't heard him before. Extremely highly recommended.

Just out from my favorite female vocalist- Neko Case is "The Tigers Have Spoken". A live cd with some covers, some of her own stuff, a couple new tunes. Still waiting for the definitive Neko Case cd. Unleash that great hot voice, Neko, i knows it's the best!

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
Picked up the Tigers Have Spoken and I second the reccomendation.

Scissor Sisters-Self titled...pick it up and dance...there's a little bit of Elton and little bit of something else I can't quite put my finger on. My favorite track is still "Laura", but "Tits on the Radio" and "Better Luck Next Time" are pretty good. "Take Your Mama" is infectious "If the music ain't good well it's just too bad, we're gonna sing along no matter what."

Snow Patrol "Final Straw" moody Irish rock. I don't think there's one bad track on this one--and I only picked it up because it was ridiculously cheap and I kind of liked "Run". My favorite surprise CD of the year--or at least the season, lol.

Interpol "Antics" This one takes a few listens to really get into, but your patience is rewarded. "Evil" is awesome and I confess freely that I'm singing along with "Slow Hands" at the top of my lungs.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Yay! another Neko fan. She'll have a new cd out in the spring, i can't wait.

Been wondering about Snow Patrol, i'll have to check that one out.

U2's "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" is great vintage U2. None of the Euro-disco synth mind-numbing stuff of "Zooropa". It's not like their trying to copy their old sound though, it does sound up-to-date. REM, please take notes!

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
some punky pop-

Ted Leo & the Pharmacists's "Shake the Sheets". Party pop punk with a message! Lotta fun hooks in these songs, "Me & Mia" is a certified classic.

A.M. 60 "Big As the Sky". Mellowy sunny punk-lite pop. What if '70s AM music had some punk punch to it? This may be what it'd sound like. Just try to sit still to this fun stuff- i dare ya!

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
Love Ted Leo & The Pharmacists...don't have the CD, but I've heard a few tracks off KEXP.

Besotted Scroller
Picture of Madogis
posted Hide Post
every song tells a story - compilation featuring dire straits, van morrison, meatloaf, crowded house, billy joel, australian crawl, don mclean and many more!

don't ask questions - just go buy it!!!

--------------------------------------

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Sara
posted Hide Post
The Unlovables - Crush, Boyfriend, Heartache

I love every song on this CD. I don't like every song on any CD, not even Weezer. Gasp! Pop punk that doesn't take itself too seriously. Follows lead singer Hallie's quest for a boy, finding said boy, crushing on him, dating him, then breaking up and dealing.

With songs like "feelin' all emo" and "i've cried for u" and not to mention "doot da doot", it's going to be getting lots of play in my CD player. Smile

I <3 4 foot 11, blonde, operatic wonders from Oklahoma.

There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness

Posts: 2158 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i wanna get an Unloveables cd! Their ep looks cool too, and i want a t-shirt. I want it all
and NOW!

Sorted, The Best of Love & Rockets. Ok, this one's a few years old but it's real good & pretty cheap, even new. Heard a couple tunes i didn't realize they had recorded.

Got this one cuz the band was on that "Left of the Dial" box set. That set also had me hunting down the Descendents, Japan, Dead Milkmen, Black Flag, and soon, the Violent Femmes. Fun rock that shouldn't be forgotten.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
The Shivers "Move All You Wanna"
The Makers "Stripped"
Dead Milkmen "Now We Are 20"

The Shivers are local yocals from Indy doin that bubblegum punk. Glad the State of Insanity is producing some fine new sounds.

The Makers, jeeps, didn't think they were still around. These must be newly recorded versions of older songs, "Hot Kiss" i know, it's not the original but still pretty wild.

Dead Milkmen hell yeah! This comp is mostly live if ya dig live. I dunno if the studio comp is still available. Whatever, it's fun & funny.
Nice way to end a work week & start a weekend.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Madeleine Peyroux "Careless Love" OOOOoooo what a sultry Billie Holidayish voice. Meow! Great songs, a cool Dylan cover and that voice, gotta love that voice. Nice dreamy stuff.

Eric Clapton "Sessions for Robert J" Combo cd/dvd, haven't seen the dvd yet. This is Clapton's second cd of Robert Johnson covers this year and probably the one worth getting. The first cd- "Me & Mr. Johnson"- was less bluesy and more pop, show-tuney. The new cd is more down to the bluesy nitty gritty. If ya like that kinda stuff, i recommend this.