Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Music    CD reviews
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
CD reviews
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Cd's mentioned in this thread that I've heard that I like (I like everything I've heard)-

Coldplay: Parachutes
The Strokes--Room on Fire
Linkin Park--Meteora
Johnny Cash - American Recordings I
Jet - Get Born
The Darkness--Permission to Land
Joss Stone Soul Possession:
Norah Jones - Feels Like Home
GOV'T MULE - "Deepest End"
The Vines - Winning Days
Franz Ferdinand

Great stuff yeah!

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Modest Mouse- Good News for People who Love Bad News

Great new cd from this indie rock band. Not as noise-pop as previous releases, this is their most accessible album yet. The vocals are more up front, which I like, and more songs seem complete as compared to what I thought were just ideas for songs on earlier cd's.

Beta Band- Heroes To Zeros

Oh yeah, their best cd, imo. I know old timey fans of theirs like the earlier stuff better but this cd rocks more, has much better vocals, song structure and lyrics. Dig it!

In Blood- Holly Golightly & Billy Childish

This is from 1999 but sooo...I just heard it for the 1st time the other day. Holly & Billy used to be in seperate punk bands but this is record is more folky with a punk attitude I guess. Their duets are fun, meant for fun and there's a great chemistry here.

Mr.Airplane Man- C'Mon DJ

Two females garage punk indie rock blues lo-fi knock your socks off music! Yeah, comparisons to the White Stripes are here but these ladies are great and they get greater on this disc.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
I've heard Beta Band on Virgin Radio UK's Liquid Audio channel. Not bad stuff.

I'm developing an appreciation for MM's "Float On"

Yay..xc brought this thread to page 2!

Posts: 2306 | Location: DFW | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Loretta Lynn- Van Lear Rose

Well I wanted to hear what the hype was all about. Jack White produces & plays in the back up band, The Do-Whaters (some members of the Greenhornes are here, too, they're a fantastic garage punk band). Some really good songs here
especially "Portland Oregon". Lynn's voice is strong & her songwriting is pretty good. No strings or annoying background singers which was what I had expected. It's a good as cd as on would expect from any other contemporay country female artist that straddles the line between popular & alternative country, such as Patty Loveless. Plus that backing band & White's production helps a lot.

V/A Lemme Take You to the Beach

Whoah! This a surf instrumental tribute to the music of Frank Zappa. Not a bad track here, this is an excellent tribute. Some of the best of surf instrol's up-n-coming bands are here such as The Bitch Boys, Urban Surf Kings, The Diamondheads, and The Atomic Mosquitos. Lotta great reverb in Zappa's music, who woulda thunk that?

V/A Death Disco

Funk/punk/disco crossover music from the late '70s-early '80s. They're finally starting to reissue this stuff on cd, so here's a cool comp to begin with & remember or hear for the first time some of these great bands. Featured here are Throbbing Gristle, Gang Of 4, Cabaret Voltaire, Human League, Delta 5, The Normal, Lounge Lizards, Brian Eno, XTC and lots more. More rock based than dance but lotsa fun.

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
The Stands

If you wish people were still making albums like Blonde On Blonde or Strange Days this is the band for you.

Wearing their 60s and 70s influences on their sleeves The Stands believe in the old adage that there is only one song, people just keep playing it at different speeds. They've slowed the song back down, and it's all the better for their efforts.

~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
*adds the Stands to cd want list & hopes it has a US release soon*

Hey Smirky, have you heard The Ponys? Garage punk band who I think- not sure though- are from your part of the country? Been tryin' to nab me their debut cd but it's sold out locally & sells out really quick-like.

Last week was surf instrumental week for me. New cd's by Reef Rider, Surfin' Robots , and The Quiets were rotating on my player. Love that reverb stuff!

Hmmm... anyone read Pop Culture Press? Nice little magazine about indie rock and other genres. Always comes with a fun sampler of new
songs. Latest comp features Ani Difranco, Fastball, Trashcan Sinatras, Von Bondies, local Indhickianians the Impossible Shapes and a bunch of other great artists. A fun read with a great listen. Smile

Went retro with James Chance & the Contortions "Last Chance" cd. '80s white funk punk. Cool as all get out if you like that kinda thing.

Ok, I like the new Diana Krall record. Nice little bubblehumgum Elvish Costello pseudo jazz stuff.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Finally found a copy of The Shakes, a
cool garage band with beats right outta the
'60s. Contains a great cover of "Oops I Did It Again" but done pop-punky.

V/A Sympathetic Sounds of Detroit. I think this came out in '01. Anywho, it's an excellent comp of Detroit based punk-garage-pop bands. The White Stripes have a cool track here I never heard before, "Red Death At 6:14". Plus great tunes by The Come Ons, Detroit Cobras, Soledad Brothers, Clone Deffects, the Paybacks, among others, including The Von Bondies, who'll probably not want to be on the same comp with Jack White ever again heehee.

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
I have heard of the Sympathetic sounds of Detroit. I'm all jealous and stuff now, xc.

I attempted to buy Modest Mouse last week, but Best Buy didn't have the CDs in stock. Ah well...there should be at least one more cheap go 'round in the next quarter or so.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Well maybe you'll find a nice used copy of the Sympathetic Sounds cd like I did. I hope so!

hey Nora, do you buy cd's online? Well,
www.deepdiscountcd.com has a good price on the Modest Mouse and no shipping fees. It's not the fastest shipping but it's a good price.

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link, xc! Hadn't found that site.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Bought some el cheapo punk cd's at a record store in Indy- Soledad Brothers, The Kaisers, Mondo Topless and a comp called B-Movie Rat. Mondo Topless was really fun humorous punk, I'd only heard a few of their tunes before but now will be looking for more. The B-Movie Rat comp was great, some surf instrols, some Ramones like power punk, some garagey rock punk based on horror movie themes. The Kaisers were more mid-60's Dave Clark 5-ish garage/punk and really rockin'.

Really love the new one from Juliana Hatfield called "In Exile Deo". I hope she gets her due from this one, it's real radio friendly (not that I listen to the radio). She plays a lot round here but I keep missin' seein' her. *pout* Anyhoo, great poppy stuff.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Hmmm like the new Gomez cd though it's one that took awhile to grow on me.

A disco/soul comp called Uncle Jr.'s Friday Fish Fry is excellent. Lotta rare tracks from the late 70s-early-mid 80s.

Found a used copy of a mid-90s Victoria Williams cd. She's got an odd voice, sort of Rickie Lee Jones gone demented, but i love her songs.

Finally found a copy of "Folklore" from 16 Horsepower. Southern Gothic neo-gospel alternative country rock with heavy on the doom & gloom in the lyrics. Odd that the lead singer kinda sounds like Neil Diamond on a couple tracks. Or maybe my speakers just need a cleaning.

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Fever to Tell

Oooh, bout damn time for some chick rock. Karen O has a cool voice.

xc That Victoria Williams album wouldn't be Loose would it? I love Crazy Mary--her version is a hell of a lot cooler than the Pearl Jam cover.

Picked up Modest Mouse's latest. Love Satin in a Coffin ("Are you dead or are you sleeping? God I sure hope you are dead")

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Yep, "Loose" is the one.

I love The Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Great stuff, that. Sometimes Karen O kinda resembles a lost
Ramones sister. Well, to me anyway.

Delta is a psychedelic/garage band from the UK and "Singularity" is their latest cd. It's a compilation from singles they've released & early songs never released before. There's a droney Neil Young-ish quality to it. Definately one of my fave cd's of '04.

4 more days til the new Wilco is released- yeeee haw!

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Recent cd spins-

V/A Best of Rodney on ROQ. Cool 80's punk/new wave rarities. Redd Kross, Circle Jerks, a surf instrol from the Bangles. Yeah some novelty punk filler mid-way through.

V/A Hot Pinball Rock Vol.1 A whole fricken cd about pinball. Bought it for the rare White Stripes song. Gets better with more listens. Best song is the Dirtbombs "Cedar Point '76".

Mr. T Bone A one-off side project of some ska bands (bought it for the Slackers connection). Good old school ska if ya like that stuff like i do.

Felix Da Housecat 2nd cd? anyhoo, the first half is pretty good funk a la Sly & Family Stone. Gets weird later on.

Jay Farrar The live cd. New songs ruled plus the cover of Neil's "Like A Hurricane". heehee

Newest from Jolie Holland. Some kinda connection to the Be Good Tanyas. Jazzy alternative folk singer-songwriter stuff. Really excellent, check 'er out.

V/A Birth of Be-bop Way cool jazz. Why aren't you listening to this right now, hmmm?

Angel Dean & Sue Garner Kinda similiar to Jolie Holland though it has some Dixieland & old timey music flavor to it as well.

Swampgas Sounds too much like Blues Traveller but without any humor.

Mother Tucker's Yellow Duck Yep, that's the band's name. Hippee dippee CSNY-type tunes. Got better as it went along.

The first Popium cd. Not as excellent as their follow-up but a heckuva debut cd. The Beatles meet Cheap Trick. Great stuff.

The Shimshaws Poppy alternative country stuff. Would be good for radiowaves.

At long last- The Ponys Worth it just for "Ten Fingers 11 Toes" but "Chemical Imbalance" is an xc theme song longing for a record. Find this cd now it rocks.

V/A Club Arfica 2 African funk & boogie. OOOOOooooo love that percussion. Fave song- "Funky Cookie" by Exile One.

The newest from Demolition Doll Rods takes awhile to get to like, unlike their '99 album which was instant hard punk rocking classic. Fave songs- "The Thump" & "Hot Pink".

V/A Ave Marina Label sampler of Marina Records. Excellent comp from start to finish. Lite rock, emo, shoegazer, funky jazz pop, alternative pop- stuff that oughta be on US AOR & top 4o radio if US radio had a brain in it's tiny wittle head. Tahiti 80, Sugartown, Kim Fowley ("Young, White & Stupid" is awesome), Article 58, Adventures In Stereo, Roddy Frame, Aluminum Group- 2 cds of great poppy music. Yay!

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Finally listened to the new Wilco cd, "A Ghost is Born". This record is much better (me thinks) than their previous one that got all the hoopla. "Company In My Back" & "Theologians" are my fave songs on here. Just wish they were still having Lolapalooza so i could see these guys live. *pout* The one annoying thing about the cd is that a couple songs end off with a long drone thing, especially one tune that drones on for about 5 minutes! Why why why do bands do this? It's so fricken annoying. Just end the song dammit! I know a lot of bands do this, maybe it's to drag out space on the cd but hello- the best albums ever made are usually 35-45 minutes long with songs that say what they have to say and then end it right fricken there! I think this could be called the "Oasis Factor" as those smug jerks in Oasis could take an otherwise 3 minute song and extend it 5, 6, 7 more minutes just with annoying humming or endless repeating of stoopid words or a moog synthesizer doing stoopid musical doodling.

Don't get me wrong, Wilco's one of my fave bands but they need to get off the drone wagon and remember their roots- Uncle Tupelo- a band who said it in all in simple short songs.

Also got 311's Greatest Hits which was pretty cool. It's a hey-hit-the-highway-roll down-the-window-crank-up-the-ol'-cd-player kinda album. Nice cover of The Cure's "Love Song". Speaking of which, I gotta get that new Cure cd. I needs cured of these summertime blues which have me heading for the newest Johnny Winter cd but that's for the next post I post in here.

Chief Chesty Forlock
Chief

Picture of Argeaux
posted Hide Post
The Wilco album sounds interesting, but I hear ya on the drone factor.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs remind me of Blondie, for some unknown reason. I LOVE their album. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 5457 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
Listened to the Wilco album the other day through Windows Media Player. Gotta agree with you on the drone thing. That second to last song has that horrible drone effect for over 10 minutes. It took lots of effort not to grind my teeth.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
New stuff xc likes-

Nick Drake's collection of demos & a newly found song. Nick still rules hell yeah.

Antibalas Afro-funk done Fela Kuti style this stuff is sooooo cool. Check out the 12 minute long "Who is this America Dem Speak of Today". Rad!

Phish's pfinal phrecord- phfantastic. Me like "Crowd Control' & "Mess Me" de best. They get better & better then they break up, least til the obligatory reunion in a few years.

The newest from Brian Wilson. Beach-y Boys stuff to the max, if ya like that sorta sound, as i do. Great cd.

A cd of cover tunes by the North Mississippi All-Stars is excellent. Fun bluesy white boy rock n roll. Foghat for the '00s (though their regular cd's are much more brilliant stuffage).

N.E.R.D. oooo i love this neo-modern dancey-soul stuff. Much much better than what i thought it would be. Glad i heard it playing in the record store.

Rachel Yamagata Lawdy i loves hearing this babe sing! "Happenstance" is her first cd & it's excellent all the way through. This is Leona Naess/Fiona Apple style pop/rock though there's some influence from Rickie Lee Jones & a popier Joni Mitchell & Laura Nyro comin' through too. "Letter Read", "1963" and the final "hidden" unnamed track are the best of this all-round great cd. Get it! Now!

Also liked new garagey rock cd's from The Shakes & The 45's.

Also excellent all-the-way thru is the cd by The Killers. Has a cool 80s' sound to it, early U2, maybe some Human League, though with a modern punky ooomph! to it. Killer stuff, get it, now!

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Got the new Dr.John cd and it's pretty good. This is one of those "famous guest singer" kinda albums. BB King, Willie Nelson, Mavis Staples, Cyril Neville all guest sing here but the Doc has such a cool voice why bother with guests? Though i wouldn't mind hearing Leon Russell duet with Dr.John. A few standard songs, some Mac tunes, some instrumentals- recommended for die-hard fans.

The new one from The Hives arrived today in the mail & i just gave it a spin. Not as instantly loveable as their last cd but it's one that i know will grow on me like fungus with more listens. Gotta play this in the car player on a hot day- it's a road record for sure. "Antidote" is a killer tune & "Walk Idiot Walk" oughta be a top ten hit.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Nuggets- 16 Nuggets of Funk OOOOooo a killer comp of great funk & soul from all over the world. Lotta instrumental tracks here but such a great variety. Best vocal tune is "Mystifying Mama" by Marva Brown, sort of a psychedelic soul song.

The new one from Pollo Del Mar was blaring on the car cd player today. Anyone else like surf instrumental music? Pollo Del Mar is just about the world's best surf instrol band as far as putting out consistantly excellent original surf rock tunes. Surf music i love, surf waves from storms in my basement, no thank you.

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i'm feelin' lonely in this thread.

Recent good stuff-

French pop band Phoenix with a great new cd out called "Alphabetical". Cool summery pop with a twist of lite electronica.

The newest Rev Horton Heat is still good raw rockabilly rock though not as wild as before. But still great not as wild but still good just not as energic all over but still excellent just different but still fantastic but just a wacky calm in places but still highly recommended.

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
Poor xc. I haven't had any money to buy any CDs lately. How 'bout I tell you my wish list?

Scissor Sisters With songs like "Laura" "Take Your Mama" and "Tits on the Radio" how can it miss? It already meets my 3 song requirement.

Libertines-Up the Bracket Me want and don't care if Pete Doherty is a dopefiend

there's more, but then I'll get all depressed because I can't get them right now, lol

Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smirk Morgan:
Poor _xc_. I haven't had any money to buy any CDs lately. How 'bout I tell you my wish list?

there's more, but then I'll get all depressed because I can't get them right now, lol

Poor Nora! Hey, since you're a lawyer, can't you sue the *boo, hiss* record industry *hiss, boo* for over-pricing cd's & maybe get a truck load of free cd's every month as a settlement? I'd drive there & help unload the truck. Smile

I printed out my short-term cd want list today & it was 3 pages long. Short term cuz i usually only get 'em if i can get 'em used or cheap online. Plus i'm just now buying some '90s music on cd since i can finally find 'em dirt cheap. Used Weezer cd's for a few bucks- ok, a long wait but they sound soooo good being so cheap.

Scroller
posted Hide Post
I've been listening to some Sahara Hotnights and I like what I've heard.

Bought the Ravonettes new CD, Chain Gang of Love awhile back. Not bad - a lil too much static noise for my taste.

I wanna buy Nellie McKay's Get Away from Me CD.