Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Music    CD reviews
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
CD reviews
 Login/Join 
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
I've been listening to Johanna Stahley for a bit of time now. Kind of poppy/folky stuff reminds me of KT Tunstall. Very catchy. I like the use of instruments on some of the tracks..trombones etc. Fun! I am hoping to catch her live in the near future to see how she sounds outside the studio.
The CD is a little tough to find in stores outside of the NY/ NJ area but she's available on itunes and I think CD Baby.

http://www.johannastahley.com/

Posts: 2164 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Dylan's new album, Modern Times, is pretty dern good. Sounds like he was influenced by all the blues, folk & old-timey covers from his records back in the '90s. His voice is more shot but that just adds character to the songs. Still i wish there'd been some harmonica on a few tunes.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Ya'll gotta check out Persephone's Bees debut album, Notes from the Underworld. It's like Blondie meets '60s psych pop meets early Bangles. The lead singer, Angelina Moysov, is Russian born though her English vocals has a French sound to it. Angelina is gonna be the next wife of xc whenever i can find a good sig pic of her.

The music is great, have a listen at their site-

Persephone's Bees site

-and their myspace which has way cool videos-
Persephone's Bees at myspace, great music, great videos

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
(New) fave album of the year so far? Really diggin' The Corner Of Miles and Gil by Shack. Psych-pop, psych-folk, psych-soul- it's Love & The Zombies & The Byrds & some old old Steely Dan guitar work rolled in one. Shack's "Shelley Brown" is a great song, a definate earworm in the best way.

Yay! today's super-cd-release-Tuesday- Black Keys, TV on the Radio, Magnolia Electric Co, Madeleine Peyroux, Los Lobos, etc etc etc.

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Smirk Morgan
posted Hide Post
KT Tunstall Eye on the Telescope

Meh. I think we have a one hit wonder, though some of the tracks start out promising about midway throught the album. Over all, not so impressed. I'll probably give it a couple of more listens. if I change my mind I'll recant this review.

Posts: 2306 | Location: DFW | Registered: 24 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
i liked the KT Tunstall album, especially for the kind of music it is.

Most recent great album i've heard is Tunng's This Is...Tunng: Mother's Daughter and Other Songs. The album's been out for awhile but i only found it a month ago. This is folktronica, a mix of folk and electronica, and it's done very good here with excellent lyrics and nice vocals. Heavier on the folk than the electronica but still highly recommended.