Tom's Xena Page    The Daily Scroll  Hop To Forum Categories  Melodia Attractions  Hop To Forums  Music    Country Music

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Country Music
 Login/Join 
Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Shinigami
posted
My parents got my kids into country music, and now I am getting into it more. I can't believe it. Me, the old Philly Rock and Roller. I like country. I like it alot. Smile
Who else isn't to proud to admit they like a li'l twang now and then?
My running faves right now are "Letters From Home" (can't remember the artist...ugh) and "Redneck Woman" by, well, I know her first name is Gretchen. I think her last name is Wilson. blush

Your Hidden Talent

You have the natural talent of rocking the boat, thwarting the system.
And while this may not seem big, it can be.
It's people like you who serve as the catalysts to major cultural changes.
You're just a bit behind the scenes, so no one really notices.

What's Your Hidden Talent?

http://www.blogthings.com/whatsyourhiddentalentquiz/

Posts: 474 | Registered: 20 September 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Sara
posted Hide Post
I like some country. I adore Faith Hill Big Grin, Tim McGraw, JoDee Messina, Patty Loveless, Lori Morgan, Reba, and Emmy Lou Harris. I can't stand too much twangy country and I don't care much for old c & w like Conway Twitty and the like. Some stuff is good, and some stuff really makes you laugh at the junk they make songs for.

'That's my girl, my whole world, but that ain't my truck'? mm-hm.

I <3 4 foot 11, blonde, operatic wonders from Oklahoma.

There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness

Posts: 2158 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

posted Hide Post
Didn't the astronauts drink twang before going into space or am i just spacey?

I like alternative country like Neko Case, Jerry Dale Gilmore, Uncle Tupelo and artists like that. As for the mainstream stuff, i like Patty Loveless & Dwight Yoakum. Is Steve Earle still considered country or country rock? I like his stuff. Johnny Cash was always cool. Willie Nelson, the outlaw county stuff. Loretta Lynn's last cd was pretty good, mainly cuz Jack White produced it. I don't like Garth Brooks, the polished country-pop stuff or the real rednecky stuff. How about country rock? The Drive-By Truckers are cool as all get out.

Posts: 12102 | Location: State of Insanity | Registered: 11 May 2004Report This Post
Scroll Guardian

Picture of Free Madness
posted Hide Post
I can get into a lil country now and again.Smile I like Reba, she's always great.Big Grin Johnny Cash is cool, I like country rock too, I think his daughter Roseanne can be considered that--I liked what i've heard of her. I can't stand those too twangy type voices, but i love the songs with really good voices that have a lot of emotion in them--oh yeh, go for it! Some country band covered a bruce springsteen song once i forget which one but damn it was good! State Trooper maybe? mmm very nice. Actually the whole Nebraska album by Bruce kinda had a country feel to it even tho he's considered rock and roll. All of it was about gettin fed up and goin out and killin people, lmao, but in a way it was kinda cleansing, kinda like watchin Johnny boy drag Maria outa the car in Secret Window! heheheheh it's horrid but it's kinda releasing! Let, uh, let THEM do it for ya!Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

I like the cowboy junkies, dunno if theyr'e considered country, country rock, rock, oh well dunno, but they covered a hank williams tune I'm so lonesome i could cry--and it rocked.Smile

"Even when you're down and blue, just remember that someone out there loves you, even if you don't know it and even if you haven't yet met them. There's someone out there waiting for you, remember that and keep faith. You'll get there."
~~Johnny Depp.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Dreamland | Registered: 06 April 2004Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Shinigami
posted Hide Post
As sick as it is, I love "Save a Horse, Ride A Cowboy" by Big and Rich. The video is hysterical!

No, xc, it wasn't twang they drank. It was eggnog. Wink

Ummm, I used to have a crush on Dwight Yoakum. blush

He was cute. I dread to think about what he looks like without the hat. Eek

Speaking of crushes...Kate, I can't find your JD message board. I forget the addy. I went to the Johnny Depp Zone and clicked on the Fun and Games thingie, and it was something like, pick a picture you want to kiss. Bleeeeeeeeeeccccccccchhhhhhhhh...
I feel like some pathetic fan girl or something when I go there. I just don't feel that way about...anybody. Not even Zel. Big Grin

Your Hidden Talent

Scroll Guardian

Picture of Free Madness
posted Hide Post
Ugh, i'm not about kissing his pictures lol ugh man. I'd rather kiss him! HEHE kidding, well it's a fun fantasy anyway. Jen the site is www.johnnydepp.com, rotfl, T&T central, that site is! (troll and teenybopper) Puke bag anyone?Big Grin

"Even when you're down and blue, just remember that someone out there loves you, even if you don't know it and even if you haven't yet met them. There's someone out there waiting for you, remember that and keep faith. You'll get there."
~~Johnny Depp.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Dreamland | Registered: 06 April 2004Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
i only like country music made before 1980. almost everything since then, with some few exceptions, just ain't country. gimme Merle, George, Johnny, Loretta, Dolly, Emmylou...Urban Cowboy was the beginning of the end for country music.

Faith...Shania...they're good. they're just not country. and i know cuz...i was country when country wasn't cool Razz (major points to anyone who can identify who sang that line [i]without looking it up!!!).

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

are you sitting on the soap?

sometimes, you just have to say 'what the f...'

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Ultimate Scroller
Picture of Shinigami
posted Hide Post
Was it Tanya Tucker? Dammit, I remember the song! Razz

Your Hidden Talent

Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
nope
but knowing Tanya Tucker scores some points...
Wink

on a side note: i once waited on Tanya Tucker. and a rowdy pack of her girlfriends. pre-rehab. what a circus...

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

Posts: 5103 | Location: Austin Texas, baby | Registered: 22 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Stalker
Picture of Shawn
posted Hide Post
Can we say "Barbara Mandrell"? She also happens to be one of the most musically talented country artists of all time.

Alright people. You want country, you got it!
Loretta, Patsy, Kitty Wells, Tammy Wynette, Dolly - they were/are country.

Merle, George, Waylon, Johhny - they were/are country.

Sorry, but today's shit on CMT ain't country. It's Twang-Pop written or produced by the same folks backing N'Sync and Brittney. It's fine to like it, just make sure you know the difference.

Take a listen to Rose in Paradise by Waylon Jennings, Coal Miner's Daughter by Loretty, Silver Wings by Merle Haggard, He Stopped Loving Her Today by George Jones.

Now don't get me wrong, there are still some country artists - Patty Lovelace is awesome, I have a new CD by Mindy Smith, Dwight's got it right, I really like Faith Hill (peace out le), and Emmy Lou can sit with the royalty. There are some wonderful new preformers, but to me there is a huge line between those that say they are country and those that truly sound country.

And if you think I don't know my shit, as a child I spent many nights sitting at my PaPaw's feet listening to the Grand Ol' Opry LIVE!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posts: 1673 | Location: everywhere, nowhere at all | Registered: 23 June 2003Report This Post
Scroll Desperado
Picture of zoom
posted Hide Post
hold your calls folks, we have a winner!!

(i knew i should've excluded you from playing... Wink)

WHAT WOULD XENA DO?

<Xenafan2233>
posted
I like country too!

Report This Post